English How Well Do We Understand Eachother

ray23

We are all familair here in Issan, with the fact of significant differences in Thai, Issan and Lao.

But what about us from different english speaking countries. I have one friend from Tazmania, another from Australlia and there are many from th UK here. When I speak to these guys face to face no problem, but on the telephone I just can't understand the accents.

Had a call yesterday and the only thing I understood was bike ride Sunday and he was from Nung Bua Lam Phu. I think I knew who it was and will find out today, when we hookup.

I was laughing to myself for hours, here I am in these Thai classes and I can't even understand my own language LOL.

Ray23 so true, only the other day met a guy from Glasgow (Scotland) who stated the Thais have a problem understanding him, I told him don't worry about the Thais I am having trouble too.

I find the most interesting part of your post to be I have one friend from Tazmania, another from Australlia and there are many from the UK here. When I speak to these guys face to face no problem, but on the telephone I just can't understand the accents.:

I have one friend from Tasmania, another from Australia - Tasmania is part of Australia but it fully understandable that you have difficulty understanding the one from Tasmania especially over the phone, Tasmanians have two heads eat mutton birds and are all part of the same family.

We Brits have enough trouble understanding each other.

Geordies

Yorkshire

Scotland

But as for other English speakers..........

I don't know if it is just me, but American films............ there are so many different accents or drawls, as well as that they mumble......I can't catch half of it.

I speak face top face with an American and normally no problem - But Films!! What the he eleven are they on about?

have one friend from Tasmania, another from Australia - Tasmania is part of Australia but it fully understandable that you have difficulty understanding the one from Tasmania especially over the phone, Tasmanians have two heads eat mutton birds and are all part of the same family.

######,

You beat me to it!!

:o

have one friend from Tasmania, another from Australia - Tasmania is part of Australia but it fully understandable that you have difficulty understanding the one from Tasmania especially over the phone, Tasmanians have two heads eat mutton birds and are all part of the same family.

######,

You beat me to it!!

:o

Boy my friend id going to get you guys LAUGHTER

Ere, Ere, I heard that :o

I have one friend from Tasmania, another from Australia - Tasmania is part of Australia but it fully understandable that you have difficulty understanding the one from Tasmania especially over the phone, Tasmanians have two heads eat mutton birds and are all part of the same family.

Ray23 so true, only the other day met a guy from Glasgow (Scotland) who stated the Thais have a problem understanding him, I told him don't worry about the Thais I am having trouble too.

I find the most interesting part of your post to be I have one friend from Tazmania, another from Australlia and there are many from the UK here. When I speak to these guys face to face no problem, but on the telephone I just can't understand the accents.:

What wrong with mutton birds, never knock em till you try em, great tucker, on a par with young wombat (sucking pig) :o

######,

You beat me to it!!

:D

Garn sezzo, you just jealous you cant play mouth organ and eat a meat pie at the same time :o

there are two things, which happen in any language, but as english is the most widely spoken, it's affected a bit more.

1) people don't speak clearly and correctly, some syllabs are partly or totally missing, mumbling has a big impact too, (not to mention intoxication)

2) a big part of the population never had the chance (and interest) in really perfecting the knowledge of their language, and therefore use improper words, also building improper (and misleading) sentences.. :D

I'm not including borrowed words, as those who use them, usually are familiar with them - unfortunately not all, who read them though! :o

dialect comes into play here, then the modern abbreviations, and especially (mainly in the US), new creations, like "dink" = double incoe, no kids"..... :D

but, nevertheless, with a lil effort, it can normally be worked out!

What wrong with mutton birds, never knock em till you try em, great tucker, on a par with young wombat (sucking pig) :D

Ray23 yes they will wait and I guess payback will apply and I probably deserve it so lets enjoy the moment whilst it lasts :o:D:D:D

ozzydom, mate yes everytime we gathered in Wodonga to learn things P Asky-Doran would have his mum send a box of the little buggers to him - for those members who are lucky enough not to suffered a meal of "mutton birds" the closest description that comes to mind is-- ""a smallish bird (scrawny) like an undernourished pidgeon that after being Plucked is soaked in Engine oil for a number of weeks/year before being cooked and Eaten"". :D:D:D

Edited by mijan246

What wrong with mutton birds, never knock em till you try em, great tucker, on a par with young wombat (sucking pig) :D

Ray23 yes they will wait and I guess payback will apply and I probably deserve it so lets enjoy the moment whilst it lasts :o:D:D:D

ozzydom, mate yes everytime we gathered in Wodonga to learn things P Asky-Doran would have his mum send a box of the little buggers to him - for those members who are lucky enough not to suffered a meal of "mutton birds" the closest description that comes to mind is-- ""a smallish bird (scrawny) like an undernourished pidgeon that after being Plucked is soaked in Engine oil for a number of weeks/year before being cooked and Eaten"". :D:D:D

I,d give big bucks for a feed of em now, (salivating at the thought) they are an acquired taste like flying fox, the oil is the best leather preservative around ,(and waterproof). Remember the old bloke who used to spray you with suntan oil on the beach at Surfers Paradise? That was mutton biird oil,best tan around, added benefit was ,nobody sat within 10 yards of you :D

Ozzydom you have made my day:

I,d give big bucks for a feed of em now, (salivating at the thought) they are an acquired taste like flying fox, the oil is the best leather preservative around ,(and waterproof). Remember the old bloke who used to spray you with suntan oil on the beach at Surfers Paradise? That was mutton biird oil,best tan around, added benefit was ,nobody sat within 10 yards of you.

Acquired is correct jeez just the flinting memory makes me feel crook :o "Laughing"

I,d give big bucks for a feed of em now, (salivating at the thought) they are an acquired taste like flying fox, the oil is the best leather preservative around ,(and waterproof). Remember the old bloke who used to spray you with suntan oil on the beach at Surfers Paradise? That was mutton biird oil,best tan around, added benefit was ,nobody sat within 10 yards of you.

Acquired is correct jeez just the flinting memory makes me feel crook  :D "Laughing"

Mijan, crook is what you get after eating parrot soup :D:o

Acquired is correct jeez just the flinting memory makes me feel crook   :D "Laughing"

Mijan, crook is what you get after eating parrot soup :D:o

As parrots are known to talk, do they complain or critique the cook?

Edited by ray23