May Be Leaving Thailand For Awhile

I'm here on an O-A. I set up a bank account and it has quite a bit of money in it. Now it looks like I may have to leave for awhile. I got the multiple entry option and I think I will be back for the visa expires, but I don't want to keep my current accommodations while I'm away.

So what do I give the bank as my address while I'm away? I'd hate to have to give up the bank account seeing as how it was such a pain in the ass to get (Bangkok Bank) and I've got all of the bells and whistles (dollar acct., ATM, internet, etc.), and I'm reading now about all of these restrictions on taking money out of the country even if I wanted to go that route. I'm also going to need the account at some point to do the whole I-have-800,000-baht thing to get my first extension.

But banks in general seem to get really offended if you start playing games with the address you give them. Multiply that by Thailand and I'm hesitant to even consider the mail forwarding solution.

Can I give a foreign address? What would be their reaction if I simply asked them to stop sending me mail? I'm afraid to even ask lest it throw some kind of red flag. I'm desperately hoping to avoid paperwork here because I suck at it and TiT, which means I suck at it even more.

Ideas?

What would be their reaction if I simply asked them to stop sending me mail?

What mail is sent out by Bangkok Bank ?

I opened my Bangkok Bank Account in 1998, I received only the pin number for my card by post, 3 year ago only just remembered where the Bank was, went back there for a new card, and same time changed my address, had my present house built and living here 7 years, again only received the new pin number by post. In 13 years have received 2 postings in the mail from my Bangkok Bank.

If you get important mail from them, I would just go in and say you are moving soon and as yet have not a permanent address so could they hold or not send mail my post for awhile, or your going home/holiday for a few months and don't want mail left at your empty address.

I opened my Bangkok Bank Account in 1998, I received only the pin number for my card by post,

My PIN from Kbank came by SMS and I have never had any posted document from them. I gave a hotel address when opening the account, which they copied from the hotel calling card. I'm not aware that they post anything at all, ever, except perhaps if your account is about to be closed due to lack of use. And even then it seems that they deduct a small yearly fee for ages until there is only a few baht left before closing it.

Also never got any letters from my bank since 7or 8 years. Because I live in the nowhere I told the bank (Bangkok Bank) not to send me new credit cards or Pin numbers, I'll pick them up. No issues, I go to my branch once a year, or less....

fatfather

Another option to cover all the bases and anyone else that might write to you is to go to your local Post Office where your mail arrives before being delivered, get a Post Office Box, and tell them to put all your mail in there until further notice. Cost 500 baht for a year and anything from anyone will be held there and they (whoever sends it) are none the wiser.

Edited by CharlieH

In the half dozen or so years I been with Bangkok Bank I've I can only remember getting two pieces of mail and those that was the mailing of my internet banking User ID or password (I forget which one) and since I had a US govt pension payment being sent to the bank that I would need to come in a setup a direct deposit acct to continue to receive the payment to the bank. I did have a Thai in-law get a piece of mail from Bangkok Bank yesterday and she was surprised...said it was probably first piece of mail she has got from Bangkok Bank for numerous years...she made it sound like a decade...she didn't understand what it was really for and was going to visit the bank to ask. I don't expect the bank would send you any correspondence unless something important occurred or you applied for some banking product that required them to mail you something.

But the info in Post #4 above could apply as most banks do have some period where the account is suspended unless at least one transaction occurs with a certain period. That would be an important mailing. I know one of my U.S. bank accounts where I had a few hundreds dollars in a special account was suspended because of no activity (..e., no deposits/withdrawals/transfers) had occurred in a 4 year period, but they mailed me a letter saying such and also said by signing & returning the enclosed form they would reactivate the account, which they did. I had always got quarterly statements on the accounts, but it was just a state law requiring an address confirmation after 4 years when selected transaction activity hadn't occurred.

Use a private mailbox service, some are franchises of "Mail Boxes Etc", there are other franchises, others are independent. I use the one on the first floor of Amarin shopping plaza, between Chidlom and Siam BTS stops, but most shopping centers have one, often downstairs with the key cutters/laundry/shoe repair people. Look for one that will let you use an address that looks like a normal one, as if in a condo block, if you want to avoid involved explanations.

This allowed me to have a "permanent" address in Thailand before I actually moved here, and in twelve years of living here I have only had to change my mailing address once (when the shop I used closed down their Central Chidlom branch), even though I've actually changed my physical abode seven+ times.

Most will also pay the bills that come in for you as long as you leave a positive balance in your account - I think my service charges 5 baht per transaction for this service. They also receive packages for you and call/email when they come in (tip for that), receive faxes etc.

I never give my actual home address to anyone except to people I want to invite to visit me.

This may not be strictly legitimate regarding the Immigration Dept's address reporting requirement, but I've never had a problem myself.

Fringe benefit is a higher-status address for your business card than what you might otherwise be able to afford - alway important here.

Hope this helps.

If you have no transactions in a year they send you a letter to say that they are suspending the account. You will receive a letter each year that there are no transactions. It is automatically re-started on your next transaction

I've never heard of that for accounts with money in it?

Is that if there's only 1000 baht or so in it?

I know people who have millions in thai banks and they are often out of the country working etc...

Never had a problem with my accounts and being away from the address etc. In fact I've not opened a single bank letter since being in Thailand 10 years ago :D