Phuket Fm Radio 91.5

GiantFan

My favorite station is 91.5 FM. BBC at 6AM, hourly BBC news updates, good music with Doris and Johnny O as well as sports on the weekend.

Lately, the evening show is house music. Not sure if I'm just too old to appreciare it. The show seems to be targeting overseas internet listeners, with rebroadcast at 3AM - 6AM Phuket time to get the London / Euro clubbers hopping whilst they get ready to go out.

I don't hear local advertisers during the "house show" so why not delay it until midnight, play real music in the evening! Also, if this show can be franchised to European locations, why not get local clubs to pay a fee to air it? Sure it will be hard, but not impossible.

The "house" music is not my cup of tea either, much of it sounds like a scratchy record & unfortunately, for me anyway, it can sometimes be heard during the day played by the other DJs which causes me to switch to 90.5. They seem to be playing a lot more of the music I like than they used to do whereas previously I only ever listened to 91.5.

• 4 weeks later...

I have heard there is a new station about to start which will be interesting. I have stopped with 91.5 as some of the attitudes of the staff are a bit off. Shame really.

agreed all commentssad.gif

but best music is 90.5 in the morning with jenny. biggrin.gif

The news coverage both Thai and BBC is excellent . The Thai news info is the best.smile.gif

bit hard to understand the later DJ at times ,jap.gifbut the music is good. Just one small adverse comment to 90.5

if you are giving out ads with phone numbers, or needed info, slow down the speech rate, i find my self waiting for a repeat Air asia is one, stuff we all would be interested in ,

Im full of coffee though however nice it may besad.gif

biggrin.gif yes i am a fan NOW with the music police problem one could play this staion and the customers would be happy riley 76

I do prefer 90.5 as there seems to be a flavor about 95.1 that is not International. I must admit that The Dorisis a hoot, he's Irish and that cnanges 91.5, thank you

I think that almost as bad as calling a Scotsman English.

Nonsensical post removed. And for the sake of clarification the DJ mentioned is a Scotsman.

Thought that was understood from my post above. Anyway, 91.5 is international in that is managed & run by a mixture of Thai & expats. Their music list has increased dramatically but now seems to have too much of this "house music" for my liking & why I listen to 90.5 a lot more than I used to (the wedding ad is also irritating to me & causes me to switch). I actually know someone who likes house music but I don't even know what it is & really not interested in finding out. My father's favourite was Victor Borge & I know he did not understand my preference for rock n roll. I fervently hoped disco music would die when it first appeared but it never did.

I do enjoy the DJs on 91.5 even though they are mainly from the antipodes of NZ. They do go out of their way to play listener requests which I find to be a good feature. 90.5 DJs are bland by comparison.

the thai guy who has the weekend shows is incredibly horrible by any standard though.. even if 91.5 radio was the best radio in the world, that thai guy who's english makes absolutely no sense just kills the station.

You know that feeling you get if you play a very 3d video game, or a fast old game and you start sweating and having vertigo for no reason? I get the same feeling when i listen to him after a couple minutes.

91.5 has been getting better in every other aspect IMO, but this guy just kills it.

I enjoy listening during the daily commute. I like the hourly news updates and the hour of news on the way to work (7-8am).

BUT...if i hear 'only at f**king Laguna' or 'East 88 <deleted> resort' i tend to turn it off. smile.gif

Its great to have a choice of stations and glad that both stations have improved over the past few years. However there are issues with both, my main point is that the music on 91.5 is so random that it seems no one looks after the play list. More so when they have no DJ in the chair, from 1950's to a dance track, just lazy. Plus some of the adverts are bad but we do remember them I guess. Its a shame both stations do not do more in the local area and do road shows and such like, be good for them, but I guess they will not do anything without getting paid for it.

Over all good effort, but both stations could do better.

I think some people on here should stop slagging off the DJ's unles they give it a go.