2011 Track Days

Can anybody report on upcoming Pirelli, Kawasaki or other upcoming track days? The websites are mum on the subject, or it's all in Thai...

Don't know bbradsby, I asked the question the other day.

But, myself and a few others are going up on Monday to have a play if you fancy it?

1200 baht for the day.

Not the same as a Pirelli day but practise none the less wink.gif

Which track?

BIRA is now open to bikes ALL DAY on Mondays for only 1200 Baht. Hell of a deal! I'll be there on Monday IF I can find some leathers I can borrow as mine are being repaired...

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was a fun day at BRC with the Kawa Ninja club :ph34r:

How busy does Bira get on a monday?

Cheers

It won't be as busy as the day you've had today.

Good - nice to practise and have the track to ourselves yes?

Keep those good times rolling.

if someone personally knows bbradsby, can you ask him to answer my question about the tire brand, model,and size he uses at bira on his NSR?

Tried asking on the forum and PMed him already...

Thanks

jbeck

Today was a fun day at BRC with the Kawa Ninja club :ph34r:

How busy does Bira get on a monday?

Cheers

Aye, BRC is good fun for only 300 Baht, but mind the potholes!!!

BRCTrackSurfaceSSR.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

April6thBustedUpK5aSSR.jpg

ps. I was really surprised at how few bikes were at BIRA last Monday- at time it felt like I had the track all to myself:

T

ps. I was really surprised at how few bikes were at BIRA last Monday- at time it felt like I had the track all to myself:

T

Great news!

back to LOS on Friday, so popping up to Bira on Sunday morning just to see who's around. My daughters birthday on Monday 18th, so don't think she would be best pleased if daddy was trying to emulate his hero's around Bira instead of being at home, unless she likes chain lube as a cake topping! :D

Will have to wait until the week after to see and try these Mondays for myself....can't bloody wait B)

if someone personally knows bbradsby, can you ask him to answer my question about the tire brand, model,and size he uses at bira on his NSR?

Thanks

jbeck

Hi Jeff! sorry, was off-line for a few... I'm currently on the stock IRC's, and not happy about it. Needless to say, I wasn't tossing it into the corners with the abandon I'd like til I get some real shoes for my baby! But I ran about 25 psi in them and cooked them up pretty good, with some nice gummy bears clinging to the right edge of the tires at session's end. That's a right-hander track for sure!

I'm researching proper tires at the moment, and have found some likely suspects - will post my findings when I get lucky! What have you found to be best track rubber for the NSR sp?

All the best,

What time does everyone show up at BIRA?

we got there late - around 9:00 - and the track was already hot. I think their website posts the hours.

As for storing bikes there, anybody know the name of the expat chap who has the bike storage there?

Had a fun day at BIRA yesterday, ripped through almost 2 tanks of fuel and lots of rubber from my new pirelli's. The track wasn't too busy but there was 4 accidents in all, 3 pros bined it pretty good but they are crazy fast. Can't wait to go back.

Colin

What time does everyone show up at BIRA?

we got there late - around 9:00 - and the track was already hot. I think their website posts the hours.

As for storing bikes there, anybody know the name of the expat chap who has the bike storage there?

The owner of High Side Tours is Graham.

He can be reached at 0891190000

Here's the HST website: http://www.highsidetours.com/

Ride On!

Tony

Bira6FebTonyGixxerSSR.jpg

Thanks

jbeck

Hi Jeff! sorry, was off-line for a few... I'm currently on the stock IRC's, and not happy about it. Needless to say, I wasn't tossing it into the corners with the abandon I'd like til I get some real shoes for my baby! But I ran about 25 psi in them and cooked them up pretty good, with some nice gummy bears clinging to the right edge of the tires at session's end. That's a right-hander track for sure!

I'm researching proper tires at the moment, and have found some likely suspects - will post my findings when I get lucky! What have you found to be best track rubber for the NSR sp?

All the best,

BDB, now, mostly riding through the Chiang mai mountains, been at bira once on a GSXR 750.

out here in CM it's hard to get heat into the tires in the mountains, or to get 'fun' lean angles due to cooler temps, sheer drop offs, or cliffs walls right next to you, and poor road conditions (unexpected, occasional sand and gravel).

Like I said earlier, I've have no confidence with my Thai made $2900/set Michelin Pilot Sportys: 90/80, 130/70, but maybe they are not getting enough heat in them.

I'd like to send my bike down from Chiang Mai to Pattaya - for a week or 2, do you know if I can keep it at the track - safely - perhaps with another guy who rents a 'garage' there?

Anyone you can put me in touch with there? Please PM me if you know someone I can contact, with their info.

How many laps or days do you put on your IRC tires before changing them? Do you just ride your bike there at the track?

I'm looking into ordering Japanese made Dunlop TT 900 GP (90/80, 120/80) and or Japanese made Bridgestone Battlax BT39 SS (90/80, 120/80) .

I'm really surprised the IRCs offer any grip at all, is your knee down through the turns at bira ( interested in lean angle of the tires, not your skill :))

Thanks,

Jeff Beck

I'd like to send my bike down from Chiang Mai to Pattaya - for a week or 2, do you know if I can keep it at the track - safely - perhaps with another guy who rents a 'garage' there?

Anyone you can put me in touch with there? Please PM me if you know someone I can contact, with their info.

If you'd like to store your bike at the track contact Graham, the owner of High Side Tours.

He can be reached at 0891190000

T

I'm really surprised the IRCs offer any grip at all, is your knee down through the turns at bira ( interested in lean angle of the tires, not your skill :))

While the IRC's are hard tires, if you run them at low pressure and don't push them too hard you can certainly ride them edge to edge and get your knee down.

And that's where skill comes into play- knowing how hard you can push your tires before they slide out from under you-

202091_151584874903550_100001561158428_336463_7081267_o.jpg

Had a fun day at BIRA yesterday, ripped through almost 2 tanks of fuel and lots of rubber from my new pirelli's. The track wasn't too busy but there was 4 accidents in all, 3 pros bined it pretty good but they are crazy fast. Can't wait to go back.

Colin

Colin

Nice one Norm!

Sorry I couldn't join you- leather's in the shop for repairs...

Let the Good Times ROLL!

T

Picture-017_resizeSSR.jpg

Colin

Nice one Colin.

Yeh we saw one guy bin it but there must have been others that came unstuck.

Those rapid fast guys were really pushing it!

Phew.

As you can see from our video lots to learn from going round Bira eh?

Glad you enjoyed it.

I just haven't got the heart (yet) to REALLY lean into the right handers (pity I know they are all right handers bar 1).

As Tony has just suggested I should start saving and buy a second hand er6n just for the track???????????

Not using the bike now for a week due to the crazy water throwing in Pattaya. Car and little Suzzie will be suffice for now.

Keep those good times rolling.

How many laps or days do you put on your IRC tires before changing them? Do you just ride your bike there at the track?

I'm looking into ordering Japanese made Dunlop TT 900 GP (90/80, 120/80) and or Japanese made Bridgestone Battlax BT39 SS (90/80, 120/80) .

Thanks,

Jeff Beck

Ah, the IRC's - date-stamped two years ago - were on the bike when I bought it, so I ran the pressures in the twenties and went really easy on them til fully hot. And even then just gradually took up the pace til things got wiggly. I did find the edge of the rear tire and melted it prety good actually. So I was relatively surprised at the fun had, given the rather large caveats: I'm a dad & not a racer, the tires weren't new, weren't ever proper track rubber and I'm a self-employed architect & construction manager who can't afford to be flat on my back in a full body cast!

I don't like the 80 aspect ratio tires, as I think they're too tall for firm cornering - nor am I hip on bias ply tires. See my other post today on the CBR-150 vs. NSR-150sp thread. I actually found some radial slicks that seem really interesting for the lil NSR screamer. May keep the IRC's for street & get the slicks for track shenanigans.

HAHA, poetic justice: Tosser #22 [image in BigBikeBKK's post above] looks alot like the same kid that almost ran into my back at Bira as I arced, hard on the gas, out of the last turn - and dam_n near ran him off the track as he tried to pass on the outside and ran out of pavement. I use the whole track, as one should. Lucky for him, I'm not a bloodsport rider, so just nudged over,and tightened up my line to give him some room. OK, maybe there was just a bit of healthy-self interest in my actions... not that interested in a hospital ride.whistling.gif

Edited by bbradsby

If I can get some leathers boots and gloves. I'll be down there on my NSR150, known affectionately as, " The Jalopy ".

Hope the technical aspects of the track make such a humble bike, shall we say, entertaining... :unsure:

If I can get some leathers boots and gloves. I'll be down there on my NSR150, known affectionately as, " The Jalopy ".

Hope the technical aspects of the track make such a humble bike, shall we say, entertaining... :unsure:

Have you ever been to Thailand Circuit? I think you might find it a lot more fun on the NSR-

ThailandCircuitViewPic.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Have you ever been to Thailand Circuit? I think you might find it a lot more fun on the NSR-

Ride On!

Tony

Why would it be better suited to the NSR? I think only the straight sections at Bira the NSR would be lacking in top speed compared to big bikes.

All the other parts of the track, I believe the speed and acceleration of (at least my modified) NSR is quite sufficient for the corner radius and to have fun.

However, there are bumps and the NSR suspension, especially the forks are not very confidence inspiring.

How long a drive from Pattaya to thailand circuit?

I looked at the website but it doesn't state prices or open track days.

thanks for any help

Ride On!

Tony

Why would it be better suited to the NSR? I think only the straight sections at Bira the NSR would be lacking in top speed compared to big bikes.

All the other parts of the track, I believe the speed and acceleration of (at least my modified) NSR is quite sufficient for the corner radius and to have fun.

However, there are bumps and the NSR suspension, especially the forks are not very confidence inspiring.

thanks for any help

I don't think I said "better suited". I said "more fun". ;)

Loz said that he "hope the technical aspects of the track make such a humble bike, shall we say, entertaining.."

Well, Thailand Circuit was specifically designed for bikes and has a lot more turns than BIRA so even though it's shorter than BIRA, the lap times are slower.

Personally I find Thailand Circuit a lot more fun than BIRA because it's got a lot more variety as opposed to BIRA which is just down the straight, left, right hairpin, right maximus, up the hill, chicane, chicane, right Honda Corner and Right onto the straight. That's a LOT of rights and only ONE left... You'll need to flip your tires after a few sessions at BIRA because it eats the right side of your tires and leaves the left side virtually untouched.

Thailand Circuit in contrast has a lot more variety.

Cost to ride Thailand Circuit is only 900 Baht for all day. Thailand Circuit is open every day. Call 0815669155 or 0874082004 to make sure the track isn't booked for an event and is available.

Ride On!

Tony

Ride On!

Tony

thanks for any help

I don't think I said "better suited". I said "more fun". ;)

Loz said that he "hope the technical aspects of the track make such a humble bike, shall we say, entertaining.."

Well, Thailand Circuit was specifically designed for bikes and has a lot more turns than BIRA so even though it's shorter than BIRA, the lap times are slower.

Personally I find Thailand Circuit a lot more fun than BIRA because it's got a lot more variety as opposed to BIRA which is just down the straight, left, right hairpin, right maximus, up the hill, chicane, chicane, right Honda Corner and Right onto the straight. That's a LOT of rights and only ONE left... You'll need to flip your tires after a few sessions at BIRA because it eats the right side of your tires and leaves the left side virtually untouched.

Thailand Circuit in contrast has a lot more variety.

Cost to ride Thailand Circuit is only 900 Baht for all day. Thailand Circuit is open every day. Call 0815669155 or 0874082004 to make sure the track isn't booked for an event and is available.

Ride On!

Tony

I've ridden at Bira, and only there.

For perspective, what speed do you reach on the longest straight at thailand cicruit?

What is the average or gear most often used in the turns, it's not a go kart track is it? are there 3rd, 4th gear turns at least?

What bike are you riding?

Is there a place to store a bike, at the track?

If I live in pattaya, how long do you estimate the drive would be in a truck to thailand circuit?

Like wise, Kaeng Krachan, do you know how far in minutes from pattaya?

Are there other (not go kart tracks) around/between pattaya - BKK?

I am thinking of moving from chiang mai to somewhere where I can ride frequently, at a variety of tracks.

But I do not not know my way around and looking at a map helps a little but not enough.

Also good to know about dirt bike tracks as well if you have any info.

Thanks a lot!

Great Video Tony!!

Out of interest how come you both back off the throttle AND use the clutch when changing up? I tend to do one or the other depending on how aggressive my pursuit is.

Also, I think I could see the red mist on the video as you lapped that green bike ( Gixer? ) Great ride. Good to see you lines too, (in case we ever get to race!)

Great Video Tony!!

Out of interest how come you both back off the throttle AND use the clutch when changing up? I tend to do one or the other depending on how aggressive my pursuit is.

Also, I think I could see the red mist on the video as you lapped that green bike ( Gixer? ) Great ride. Good to see you lines too, (in case we ever get to race!)

Cheers,

Well, you can see that on the straights I shift without the clutch. The rest of the time I use clutch and throttle to rev match as my bike has no slipper clutch. The green bike is a ZX10R. That was our first time riding Thailand Circuit and you probably noticed the track was still wet in spots. We were just taking it easy and learning the track.

Hope to get back there again soon but first I've got a race on April 30th and the BRC and then I'm looking forward to a fantastic week long tour with the hooligans-

April2011SSRMap.jpg

Ride On,

Tony

KhaoKho39.jpg

SSRLogo.jpg

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Another good day at BIRA today, got to try out the new exhaust and improved my track time a considerable amount. Raced around a few laps with one of the Hideside tours instructors which was a blast but had a little incident with one of the slower thai riders, he didn't see me coming down inside him on the first right hander and through him off balance on the corner and he ended up driving off into the grass and binned his nice Ducati. It looked like he was going wide so i cut inside but he decided to cut tight just as i was going by him. I'm still new to track days so i guess i might have to be a little more carefull when passing the slower riders, a little too unpredictable. All in all a good day.

looks like i might have another free day tomorrow so i was thinking about taking a ride to Thailand circuit if its available or just drop down to BRC for a few laps. Anyone interested drop a line.

Colin

Another good day at BIRA today, got to try out the new exhaust and improved my track time a considerable amount. Raced around a few laps with one of the Hideside tours instructors which was a blast but had a little incident with one of the slower thai riders, he didn't see me coming down inside him on the first right hander and through him off balance on the corner and he ended up driving off into the grass and binned his nice Ducati. It looked like he was going wide so i cut inside but he decided to cut tight just as i was going by him. I'm still new to track days so i guess i might have to be a little more carefull when passing the slower riders, a little too unpredictable. All in all a good day.

looks like i might have another free day tomorrow so i was thinking about taking a ride to Thailand circuit if its available or just drop down to BRC for a few laps. Anyone interested drop a line.

Colin

Newf - How long is the drive? Please PM me with real email/phone - trying to get a list of potential partners, share driving/ gas costs, etc.. to travel to different tracks...may move to pattaya in a few months.

What kind of bike, how often do you ride?

jbeck

...Hope to get back there again soon but first I've got a race on April 30th and the BRC and then I'm looking forward to a fantastic week long tour with the hooligans-

April2011SSRMap.jpg

Tantalizing route map, Tony. Will have to stow that one away for a not-so-rainy day.