Planning To Buy A Bicycle

gurnani

Whenever I see some dipshit in full skin tight bright orange or green biking outfit riding his expensive touring bike around Bangkok traffic directly behind a bus and inhaling gallons of black exhaust I roll down my window and shout "RETARD!"

Besides the pollution its just not safe, Thai people are not going to hit you because they are mean, they are just dangerously incompetent and seemingly blind and completely unaware of the realm of physics. Doesn't matter how safe you ride and how aware of your own surroundings, its not gonna stop Somchai from clipping you as he rides in 2 lanes at once for no reason while talking on his cell phone and adjusting his buddhas hanging from his rear view mirror. Riding a bicycle in Bangkok traffic is outrageously naive.

I cycled in bangkok many times on a GT mountain bike. Never had an accident. It is all about awareness. If you think that it would be too much for you, TheLaughingman, you should really not do it.

OP, Try Probikes in Lumpini, www.probikes.co.th. You could also try the bike shops that are at some shopping malls.

Whenever I see some dipshit in full skin tight bright orange or green biking outfit riding his expensive touring bike around Bangkok traffic directly behind a bus and inhaling gallons of black exhaust I roll down my window and shout "RETARD!"

Wouldn't it be easier just to mind your own business? I suppose some people are burdened with such childish behavior since toilet training. An anal fixation perhaps?

Wouldn't it be easier just to mind your own business? I suppose some people are burdened with such childish behavior since toilet training. An anal fixation perhaps?

Well I was just joking, I don't actually yell it, just think it very fiercely, because truly, they are retarded and when they are about to die or be maimed for life they will have the audacity to be surprised.

I just bought a Trek mountain bike at Probike

Model 4300.

Yep, Trek's a winner. Giant also do decent bikes that will last or if you don't want to spend that much, op, consider going for the local LA brand.

Whatever you do, avoid the dross that the supermarkets sell as they fall to bits very quickly.

I just bought a Trek mountain bike at Probike

Model 4300.

Yep, Trek's a winner. Giant also do decent bikes that will last or if you don't want to spend that much, op, consider going for the local LA brand.

Whatever you do, avoid the dross that the supermarkets sell as they fall to bits very quickly.

I too bought a Trek 4300 at Probike near Lumpini Park, just over 3 years ago. Excellent after service.

Had my bike serviced and cleaned yesterday at Probike, it looks like new and goes like a train again; 700 THB was the bill.

I cycle daily to and from work, a 10 KM round trip.

It also saves me much time I would otherwise be sitting on the bus in traffic.

Yes, you have to be aware and NO I am not a retard! I do wear a decent mask and a would say that a good quality helmet is a must, as are good lights at night.

One danger I have found is wet foot/cycle paths. Part of Narathiwat road is dedicated as a cycle path. The pavement tiles when wet, can be very dangerous.

Go for it !!

Frm-Bkk

thanks for the recommendations peeps. Well theres a situation which is not encouraging me to buy one. I put up in near Nana BTS hence I have no free footpaths/cycling paths in around this area coz of heavy markets on both sides of the pavement.

It leaves so less space to even walk, cycling seems impossible...another thing could be to go to the road driving but looking at the consition of motorcycle drivers at road, it can someday take me to a hospital where they speak only thai. :)

Anybody living in this area and still has a cycle ride could actually share his experience. Though I plan to change to place of stay in about a couple of months down the lane, till then browsing for bikes like the ones mentioned above whould come handy for sure.

Thanks mates!!

Had my bike serviced and cleaned yesterday at Probike, it looks like new and goes like a train again; 700 THB was the bill.

Curious, how much time does Probike take to do a basic service?

They needed to have the bike for the whole day. I took it in the night before, just prior to closing (7.00pm) and collected it again the next evening at 6.00pm.

The 700 Baht included a detailed clean, a full service, new brake pads and a new gear cable.

Frm-Bkk

Well, I have options now...Its time to browse and finally select what I should go for.

Any bicycle buddies around? Just cycling together in groups and sometimes having occasional food together be a nice start to the bicycling adventures.

I like Trek as well - I think they are now made in Taiwan like Merida which is an excellent alternative. Merida are a Taiwan company. Big range and probably a few more quality extras for the same money. Have a look at a Merida cross bike -good value.

+1 for Merida

There were many bike shops near Rongpayaban Klang where I used to go to get parts for my MTB. Sorry - don't remember road name. Also had many shops where you could choose a bike. Probably cheaper than Probike as well.

BTW - used to bike from Thonburi (Wongwienyai) to Asoke everyday for 3 years - rain or shine. Good thing we had a shower at the office.

Good luck. PM me if you need more info.

thanks for the recommendations peeps. Well theres a situation which is not encouraging me to buy one. I put up in near Nana BTS hence I have no free footpaths/cycling paths in around this area coz of heavy markets on both sides of the pavement.

It leaves so less space to even walk, cycling seems impossible...another thing could be to go to the road driving but looking at the consition of motorcycle drivers at road, it can someday take me to a hospital where they speak only thai. :)

Anybody living in this area and still has a cycle ride could actually share his experience. Though I plan to change to place of stay in about a couple of months down the lane, till then browsing for bikes like the ones mentioned above whould come handy for sure.

Thanks mates!!

Besides the pollution its just not safe, Thai people are not going to hit you because they are mean, they are just dangerously incompetent and seemingly blind and completely unaware of the realm of physics. Doesn't matter how safe you ride and how aware of your own surroundings, its not gonna stop Somchai from clipping you as he rides in 2 lanes at once for no reason while talking on his cell phone and adjusting his buddhas hanging from his rear view mirror. Riding a bicycle in Bangkok traffic is outrageously naive.

Whenever I read about some dipshit farang driving a car in Bangkok traffic I want to shout "RETARD!"

"Besides the pollution its just not safe, Thai people are not going to hit you because they are mean, they are just dangerously incompetent and seemingly blind and completely unaware of the realm of physics. Doesn't matter how safe you ride and how aware of your own surroundings, its not gonna stop Somchai from clipping you as he rides in 2 lanes at once for no reason while talking on his cell phone and adjusting his buddhas hanging from his rear view mirror."

So you must get into accidents in your car regularly, right?

Driving a car in Bangkok traffic is outrageously naive.