Please Warn Thai Students Before Coming To The Us

Warhammer820

I have seen this happen several times out of the past few years....Thai students come to America for the Work and Travel program with their friends, expecting to have an amazing time..but this is all messed up by the supervising comany...The most recent case was three thai girls came to america and have been here for two weeks, they were recently separated by the supervisors who told the students, "You will change cities or you can go back to Thailand." I am not sure if that is legal since they sign a contract saying that they will work in a different city with the friends that they signed a contract with while they were in thailand. The thai students this year that i know were separated from their friends and then they were told to sign the new contract to work far away from their friends...last year this happened to several more thai students..and then when they get here they are in very run-down housing with some being miles away form their jobs...please warn the students that their contract is pretty much void when entering the US by supervisors that are not even american themselves.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am american..i take care of the thai students i meet because i know that the supervisors do not...for two weeks a different group of thai girls did not even know how to use the air conditioner because the supervisor did not help them...anytime they need help, the supervisors say, "I don't know."..and that's only if they answer their phone

Well, what do they expect?

I assume these Thais are being sent to the States for a bona fide reason and not into anything dubious.

They are permitted into America for the purposes of gaining experience with studying and working abroad, not as a benefit of obtaining a cheap or free holiday gallivanting around with their mates.

i am american..i take care of the thai students i meet because i know that the supervisors do not...for two weeks a different group of thai girls did not even know how to use the air conditioner because the supervisor did not help them...anytime they need help, the supervisors say, "I don't know."..and that's only if they answer their phone

Is it really that difficult to work out then or so difficlut that they have to make a Phonecall, turning on an Air Conditioner i mean ??

what i have concluded the problem is..is that they do not research about the place they are originally supposed to live in while they work here...they usually believe that america is a place of magic and there are plenty of things to do..that is only true some of the times...i know a thai girl in south carolina who has a lot to do around her but has to ride a bike 3 miles to work...i knew 4 students who signed a contract to work together in Louisiana..but when they arrived all of them were separated to work in 4 different cities instead of in new orleans like the contract they signed in thailand said they were to work...a different group of three thai guys that came were separated as well last year as soon as they arrived

Are you writing to complain about the conditions they met or the conditions they left ? Would it not be more relevant to have a word with the organisers ? You could spend your time more effectively by sourcing the relevant government body and explaining the situation to them , seems rather obtuse to expect posters on TV to run around warning future or existing students of what to expect , in your line of thinking that is .

What is it that these students are doing America and what is the role of their supervisor?

Fwiw, many of the student-work programs in the USA are terrible deals for the students and really just a way for a corporation/government to get free labor in the guise of providing a "learning experience". For example, the students that are sent into the ghetto to fill teacher positions that nobody wants for a portion of the real salary.

Edited by farang000999

farang000999' timestamp='1301407075' post='4320819']

What is it that these students are doing America and what is the role of their supervisor?

Fwiw, many of the student-work programs in the USA are terrible deals for the students and really just a way for a corporation/government to get free labor in the guise of providing a "learning experience". For example, the students that are sent into the ghetto to fill teacher positions that nobody wants for a portion of the real salary.

In Canada , students work for free on work experience projects , it is for their benefit after all , do you realise the time taken away from another employee to assist them ? Our knowledge took years to accumulate , so obtaining the benefit of that knowledge for free is a bonus .

well i know a ukranian girl who was told that the supervisors would help her when she needed something like to get food at the store....well they did not even come close to being that helpful for her...and as far as the air conditioner goes..i have never seen an air conditioning system like the one i saw in one of the houses here for the students while i was in thailand

what i have concluded the problem is..is that they do not research about the place they are originally supposed to live in while they work here...they usually believe that america is a place of magic and there are plenty of things to do..that is only true some of the times...i know a thai girl in south carolina who has a lot to do around her but has to ride a bike 3 miles to work...i knew 4 students who signed a contract to work together in Louisiana..but when they arrived all of them were separated to work in 4 different cities instead of in new orleans like the contract they signed in thailand said they were to work...a different group of three thai guys that came were separated as well last year as soon as they arrived

You don't write like a US native or native English speaker. What country do you come from and is it legal for you to work in the US? It might make a difference in what you can do for those you are posting about and your general knowledge of US contract law.

What you seem to be describing is privileged brats complaining because they actually have to do things for themselves, rather than having somebody do everything for them. Boo hoo.

From what I have heard my sympathy level is just about zero, and I am finding it difficult to take this thread seriously.

yes, i am native to America. I was born here and so were my parents...i just write a little different from other Americans. I think my writing/speaking skills have changed since i have been trying to learn thai and spanish since the rules are different. I deal with foreigners on a daily basis and i try to pick up the language while i spend time with them. My girlfriend is from thaland though, she is with me in America now and she works with these exchange students, which is how i meet them every year.

The main point of my original post is for you all to help explain to these students that most of them will not have the experience that they believe that they will have. They are not spoiled brats, they are just filled with false ideas about what the role of a successful individual is in America. I am hoping that if any of you hear that a student is coming with the work and travel program that you ask them to research the city/job that they will be involved with in America. Also mention to them that they may not work with their friends that they came to America with as i have witnessed the supervisors breaking the news to them minutes after they arrive in the airport that they will in fact not work together.

For those of you that do not care about these students, please do not comment.

You don't write like a US native or native English speaker. What country do you come from and is it legal for you to work in the US? It might make a difference in what you can do for those you are posting about and your general knowledge of US contract law.

it's pretty difficult to ride a bike three miles in 90 degree weather (which is coming in the next month or so) and when it is raining

i know a thai girl in south carolina who has a lot to do around her but has to ride a bike 3 miles to work...

And......

yes, i am native to America. I was born here and so were my parents...i just write a little different from other Americans. I think my writing/speaking skills have changed since i have been trying to learn thai and spanish since the rules are different. I deal with foreigners on a daily basis and i try to pick up the language while i spend time with them. My girlfriend is from thaland though, she is with me in America now and she works with these exchange students, which is how i meet them every year.

The main point of my original post is for you all to help explain to these students that most of them will not have the experience that they believe that they will have. They are not spoiled brats, they are just filled with false ideas about what the role of a successful individual is in America. I am hoping that if any of you hear that a student is coming with the work and travel program that you ask them to research the city/job that they will be involved with in America. Also mention to them that they may not work with their friends that they came to America with as i have witnessed the supervisors breaking the news to them minutes after they arrive in the airport that they will in fact not work together.

Try the Thai embassy, legal aid or the cops or hire a lawyer to take the case on a contingency basis.

Even if they aren't doing anything illegal a letter from an attorney can do wonders.

Posting on TV is doing it backwards. Concentrate on the agencies that are doing something wrong and not all student exchange or work groups.

it's pretty difficult to ride a bike three miles in 90 degree weather (which is coming in the next month or so) and when it is raining

i know a thai girl in south carolina who has a lot to do around her but has to ride a bike 3 miles to work...

And......

Hells bells.

I used to walk that distance to school, and back, as a kid, in freezing conditions. Some had an even further journey to make.

3 miles IS NOT far to go regardless of the weather, especially when on a bike. Not far at all. Do Americans get to avoid these (oh so harrowing) journeys themselves or do they have to travel just like everybody else?

If you really want to help them tell them that they have to like it or lump it, and welcome them to the real world!

3 miles...... on a bike..... pffft

i feel for these students because they believe that they will be able to live with their friends..then soon find out that they will live with strangers in a dangerous neighborhood

Where have the dangerous Neighboruhoods come from now ??

Since when has this been happening ??

I thought the toughest problems for them was riding a Bike for 3 Miles & not being able to turn on the Air Con ??

Are you of Thai descent Warhammer ??

There is one specific agency i am talking about, but i am not going to say the name as i am sure this thread may be shut down as a result.

Try the Thai embassy, legal aid or the cops or hire a lawyer to take the case on a contingency basis.

Even if they aren't doing anything illegal a letter from an attorney can do wonders.

Posting on TV is doing it backwards. Concentrate on the agencies that are doing something wrong and not all student exchange or work groups.

I am not of thai descent, i am white. What the agency does in this region is finds the cheapest house for rent or apartments. These are usually located in areas where crime is the highest. Some of the students are lucky enough to work in a nice area of town, but some are very unlucky. Yesterday 3 thai girls were placed, temporarily, in a 1 bed motel that is in an area known for drugs and prostitution. Luckily there is a police station within a few miles. Last year there were girls in a rent house who had an unidentified man walk to the door in the house when he saw the door open and ran when he saw that i was in there with the girls.

i feel for these students because they believe that they will be able to live with their friends..then soon find out that they will live with strangers in a dangerous neighborhood

I thought the toughest problems for them was riding a Bike for 3 Miles & not being able to turn on the Air Con ??

You forgot something

They have to get their own shopping as well!

my problem with the shopping was that they were lied to in their home country..not that they have to do it on their own. Try not to make this problem seem as if it is okay because your time did not have the technology of today's world. I realize they are not entitled to these things. I do believe that their living situations should be told to them before they arrive as the agencies are choosing their housing for them.

You forgot something

They have to get their own shopping as well!

Well first off, there's your problem. Louisiana is a primitive backwater. If someone had used the internet they'd have discovered that.

I am not of thai descent, i am white. What the agency does in this region is finds the cheapest house for rent or apartments. These are usually located in areas where crime is the highest. Some of the students are lucky enough to work in a nice area of town, but some are very unlucky. Yesterday 3 thai girls were placed, temporarily, in a 1 bed motel that is in an area known for drugs and prostitution. Luckily there is a police station within a few miles. Last year there were girls in a rent house who had an unidentified man walk to the door in the house when he saw the door open and ran when he saw that i was in there with the girls.

Why do you think we would have any interaction with these "students"? Above posters are right. You are going about this the wrong way.

The American NPR radio show "This American Life" did a show in August about one day at a interstate highway rest area in upstate NY. Turns out that one of the restaurants in the rest area particpated in a program that sounds very similar to what the OP describes. The foreign students didn't realize they were going to be in upstate NY, not NYC and didn't have transportation beyond the bicycles they were given to go to work at the rest area. Oh and yes, they all were female. The best at adapting were the Ukaraine gals who quickly befriended American guys at work and had a non-stop party at their apartment for the rest of the summer. The worst at adapting were the "good girls" from Hong Kong who had come from households where their families had maids and they'd basically spent their entire lives trying to fulfill their parents' expectations. I think the Thai gals (maybe princesses would be a better word) fall into the later category.

Apparently after they put in a summer of working, their reward was to get a couple weeks of vacation time within the U.S.

The American NPR radio show "This American Life" did a show in August about one day at a interstate highway rest area in upstate NY. Turns out that one of the restaurants in the rest area particpated in a program that sounds very similar to what the OP describes. The foreign students didn't realize they were going to be in upstate NY, not NYC and didn't have transportation beyond the bicycles they were given to go to work at the rest area. Oh and yes, they all were female. The best at adapting were the Ukaraine gals who quickly befriended American guys at work and had a non-stop party at their apartment for the rest of the summer. The worst at adapting were the "good girls" from Hong Kong who had come from households where their families had maids and they'd basically spent their entire lives trying to fulfill their parents' expectations. I think the Thai gals (maybe princesses would be a better word) fall into the later category.

Apparently after they put in a summer of working, their reward was to get a couple weeks of vacation time within the U.S.

So the same Agency seems to be taking on mainly Girls, that seem to be from Asia & the Ukraine ??

What was they doing then, working in teh Restaurants in a rest Area on a Highway ??