Highway Police Aim To Reduce Death Toll By 10% During Songkran Holiday

webfact

Highway police aimed a 10% reduction on road accidents durng Songkran

BANGKOK, 30 March 2011 (NNT) -- Highway Police has now aimed to reduce the number of death tolls by 10% this year with tighter road rules being enforced on commuters during Songkran Festival.

Police Major General Norabul Nannha of the Highway Police said speed limits and alcohol testing would be carried out this year on all types of vehicles in a bid to reduce the number of road accidents by 10% compared to the same period last year during which 35 deaths were reported.

Police Major General Norabul further expressed his concerns over the south-bound route as many roads had been blocked by floods and could generate some serious gridlocks. Meanwhile, traffic bottlenecks have also been forecast on the roads going to the Northern provinces due to the physical shape of the roads as several constructions are underway.

A strong message displayed on a large billboard read “ No Death Zone” on Phahonyothin road is meant to warn commuters to drive safely. The billboard is located on the 51st kilometer mark of Phahonyothin where roads are divided into two directions with one going to the Northeast and the other going to the North.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-03-30 footer_n.gif

35 Deaths during Sonkran last year, really?

what, per hour?

Oh, I see, clever wording "35 deaths reported" , so the other 300 plus are not reported, clap clap, very clever.

Doing a quick search in Google, this same web sites news source,

http://www.thaivisa....accidents-down/

Sonkran, many people hate it, I enjoy seeing Thais all happy, little water is ok, but the roads are a drunken death trap.

I am expecting to see next week the annual call for a ban of alcohol sales over Sonkran that the media run with, just like the twice a year call for Uni students to wear other cloths as they are to sexy !!!!!!!

I have lost count how many taxi drivers I have seen drunk in BK during Sonkran, I mean really drunk, seems to be operations normal laugh.gif.

Have fun, squirt squirt biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by happyjune

How to reduce the holiday death toll? Reduce the holiday. Duhblink.gif

A seven day, drunken, water war? Is that necessary?

Do they classify the dead as collateral damage from friendly fire, in the name of fun?

The "holiday" caused 373 deaths and 4,332 injuries in 2009, a report says.

Reduce the "festivities" to one day and reduce the numbers to- 53 deaths and 618 injuries.

Amazing - more unsubstantiated statistics. Police can do nothing other than let people 'donate' to 'get off' being fined and the BiB love it. They will be too busy collecting to attend to many accidents. If the weather remains or worsens, at least there should be fewer motorbikes on the roads but sliding cars out of control going too fast, will most lily make up for the lack of bikes.

Edited by asiawatcher

How to reduce the holiday death toll? Reduce the holiday. Duhblink.gif

A seven day, drunken, water war? Is that necessary?

Do they classify the dead as collateral damage from friendly fire, in the name of fun?

The "holiday" caused 373 deaths and 4,332 injuries in 2009, a report says.

Reduce the "festivities" to one day and reduce the numbers to- 53 deaths and 618 injuries.

That is the best Idea, cut the holiday for water throwing, donkey's years ago it was limited to 2 or 3 days now it's more than a week. Deaths here they don't give a shizen, not a thought when there is an excuse to get tanked up.

If they can worm another day to get blind drunk they will, well a big % anyway.

Cut 10% of traffic off the road-hey presto-10% less incidents==NOT ACCIDENTS

I have experienced many times the measures aimed at reducing accidents during Songkran. Mostly there are road blocks, which are placed so dangerously and without any warning that I am sure they cause more accidents than they prevent.

Moreover, most of the time, some local "would be" sit around and just do nothing.

And when they do something, they stop the cars, take the license plate, ask for the driver's licence, which they enter into some form and then send the car on. What for? Just cause a traffic jam, feel important?

They don't even check alcohol.

Totally useless, if not dangerous by itself.

Well, I wish the police luck in this 10% accident/death reduction target they are aiming at, but it seems each year the number of accidents/deaths increase as more and more vehicles are on the roads of Thailand and the attitude/mind set of Thai's regarding driving habits and drinking remains unchanged. I'm sure more Bangkok traffic police will be strategically placed at intersections to ambush motorists making highly dangerous left turns and possibly crossing a solid line at 10Km/h. But I do expect BIB business profits to be up at least 10% for this Songkran Holiday period...I'm sure they will hit that target dead center!

Where were they Monday in Roi Et when an ahole slammed his car into my motorcycle, head injury, broken collar bone, road rash, not to mention the motorcycle.

Then he has the audacity to lie to the police and tell them it was my fault. After I was released from the hospital the police showed him the marks on his car and did a reconstruction of the accident. He finally signed a statement admitting guilt... Lying and cheating is perfectly acceptable in Thailand. I am lucky to be alive and will probably be in pain for the rest of my life.

Can you just imagine it, if the BIB were to act according to the law, on everyone who tested positive for alcohol. All the major routes and towns would turn into a massive car & bike park. Whilst the drivers were being processed and getting sober enough to carry on with their journey? :partytime2::burp:

jb1

Where were they Monday in Roi Et when an ahole slammed his car into my motorcycle, head injury, broken collar bone, road rash, not to mention the motorcycle.

Then he has the audacity to lie to the police and tell them it was my fault. After I was released from the hospital the police showed him the marks on his car and did a reconstruction of the accident. He finally signed a statement admitting guilt... Lying and cheating is perfectly acceptable in Thailand. I am lucky to be alive and will probably be in pain for the rest of my life.

At least you didnt get your wallet stolen. I know someone who died in a car crash last month south of Bangkok - his body was handed over to his family minus wallet, BB, gold chain, etc.

I suggest Thailand will continue to see 'band aid' remedies, strategies which have little value, even little logic, no overriding pig picture policy and all announcements and actions dovetailed to the major policy, until:

1. - We get much better quality politicians and therefore highly capable people heading ministries

2. - The police and the overall public service promote people because of proven capability and proven superior performance.

However the fact is that automatic promotion because of long service and/or rampant buying of promtions is very entrenched and it will take a long long time to change it, and right now I don't see the will to change.

Edited by scorecard