Pcx Mod Thread

SumetCycle

Are they sold here in Thailand?

My GF needs a red metalic PCX with black seat/trim. Been quoted 67k baht in Nong Kai, 1200 baht to ship to Phuket. Seems low to me. Is it out in the low spec no remote model yet? Or have prices dropped this much?

That is a great price. You should take it. Some places are selling them for as much as 80k.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saw this one in Chanthaburi city this evening, unsure if a repaint or original colour? Looked good anyway.

See very few PCXs down this way.

Yamahas seem far more popular and not so many Honda dealers, and not one I've seen selling the PCX.

I'm considering a PCX, but I'm put off by a number of things about that bike.

First, it could use more speed.

I've heard the engine can be modded for greater speed.

Is that true? How much does that cost?

Second, I like the hook for grocery bags on my Nouvo.

Can one or more hooks be fitted on the PCX? (ideally two large hooks)

Third, what are the options for securing stuff on the passenger pillow, like a computer case, suitcase or cardboard boxes? The Nouvo has rails/places where I can strap rope or extenders under. What to do on the PCX?

Givi do a couple of scooter tunnel bags T455 and T472 (18 litre), that might be of use to you. Kappa also TK739 (28 litre.)

I'm considering a PCX, but I'm put off by a number of things about that bike.

First, it could use more speed.

I've heard the engine can be modded for greater speed.

Is that true? How much does that cost?

Second, I like the hook for grocery bags on my Nouvo.

Can one or more hooks be fitted on the PCX? (ideally two large hooks)

Third, what are the options for securing stuff on the passenger pillow, like a computer case, suitcase or cardboard boxes? The Nouvo has rails/places where I can strap rope or extenders under. What to do on the PCX?

You can purchase a J-Costa variator which will increase top speed and acceleration. Cost approx-6-7,000 baht. 30 minutes to fit.

You can order a 150 cc upgrade along with a re-mapped ECU for approx 19,000 baht. This is from Japan.

There are hooks that you can buy that fasten to the PCX handle-bars. THey come in many colours. Oooooooooooooooooo! :)

My bike has a rear cushion with 'grab-bars'. I have had no problem fastening down big bags etc. I traveled to Udon from BKK on mine with a bit of kit.

There are solid side panniers that you can also purchase. They can be painted many colours. Ooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :)

Where do you get the side paniers?

I got a top box... it is crap. The thing is made for a Scoopy, not a PCX, and I want to get some good paniers instead.

Where do you get the side paniers?

I got a top box... it is crap. The thing is made for a Scoopy, not a PCX, and I want to get some good paniers instead.

Contact the sponsors.......Sumet Cycle. I am sure Brian or Pam can help with that one.

• 5 months later...

EU and US versions of PCX come with lighter variator weights (15gms vs 19gms) as average riders are heavier. You can improve the acceleration of a Thai PCX by fitting these weights. OEM, and unmodified so do not affect warranty. But you will need to get them from overseas as they are not listed here in the parts manual.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a modified variator fitted keep the original,then if you have a problem ( which is very unlikely because the modified variator actually lowers the revs )you can refit. Then you can claim on the warranty.

Edited by steve1234

• 1 month later...

Just bought, from Sumet, some new YSS adjustable gas shocks for the PCX. I'm just putting the feelers out really as to how much adjustment, if any, you applied from the stock setting. I know from big bikes that its really down to the individual, regarding preference to feel and handling etc but this is a scooter when all said and done.

I've not fitted them as yet but i'm sure even with settings straight out the box they'll be a huge improvement on the OEM shocks.

Forgot to add will be me at 85kg most of the time with the missus 42kg occasionally as pillion

Any info and experiences appreciated

Edited by Rickster

Firstly i'd like to thank Brian at Sumet Cycles for the great customer service and great products supplied for my runaround PCX. As everyone knows the OEM shocks are <deleted> at best so i bought the YSS adjustable gas shock. Played around with the adjustment and the factory setting is just about right for single and 2's up useage. In all fairness I don't think the damping screw makes jack all difference or not that you'd notice but hey it looks good 55555.

I also bought a Honda modified variator despite all the conflicting reports i have read on here and other forums. Well all i can say is wow it really does work. 135kph full chat on centre stand. 124kph on the road with a slight decline and flies over hills like there not there. Over mountains and steep inclines i'm up from 45kph to 65kph thats just under a 50% improvement, gotta love that and now have the confidence to overtake sunday drivers with the extra boost on acceleration.

I also did my own air filter mod which seems to work well. Take out the air filter and carefully cut out the paper filter element but leaving the metal filter in place. Then replace the paper element with 2 layers of fish tank filter with a plastic strip plastic welded (read melted) across the back to hold it in place. Voila K&N in an instant !!!!

Now at the end of the day it's just a useful piece of transport here in Phuket the ole PCX, but it's amazing how from such a small mod such gains can be had, i'm prettty impressed and would recommend the variator to all PCX owners wanting a bit more guts....

I also bought a Honda modified variator despite all the conflicting reports i have read on here and other forums. Well all i can say is wow it really does work. 135kph full chat on centre stand. 124kph on the road with a slight decline and flies over hills like there not there.

Can I ask where you bought the variator from and how much?

Thanks. :)

I also bought a Honda modified variator despite all the conflicting reports i have read on here and other forums. Well all i can say is wow it really does work. 135kph full chat on centre stand. 124kph on the road with a slight decline and flies over hills like there not there.

Thanks. smile.png

1800B from Sumet

Firstly i'd like to thank Brian at Sumet Cycles for the great customer service and great products supplied for my runaround PCX. As everyone knows the OEM shocks are <deleted> at best so i bought the YSS adjustable gas shock. Played around with the adjustment and the factory setting is just about right for single and 2's up useage. In all fairness I don't think the damping screw makes jack all difference or not that you'd notice but hey it looks good 55555.

I also bought a Honda modified variator despite all the conflicting reports i have read on here and other forums. Well all i can say is wow it really does work. 135kph full chat on centre stand. 124kph on the road with a slight decline and flies over hills like there not there. Over mountains and steep inclines i'm up from 45kph to 65kph thats just under a 50% improvement, gotta love that and now have the confidence to overtake sunday drivers with the extra boost on acceleration.

I also did my own air filter mod which seems to work well. Take out the air filter and carefully cut out the paper filter element but leaving the metal filter in place. Then replace the paper element with 2 layers of fish tank filter with a plastic strip plastic welded (read melted) across the back to hold it in place. Voila K&N in an instant !!!!

Now at the end of the day it's just a useful piece of transport here in Phuket the ole PCX, but it's amazing how from such a small mod such gains can be had, i'm prettty impressed and would recommend the variator to all PCX owners wanting a bit more guts....

a 50% improvement from a variator ?? someone should call honda R+D and let them know theyre doing it all wrong :)

a 50% improvement from a variator ?? someone should call honda R+D and let them know theyre doing it all wrong smile.png

Think you're using this term a little loosely, maybe try being more specific as i did in my post i.e 50% improvement over mountains and steep hills.

With your generalisation, people will be wondering why their PCX won't do 162kph with a modded variator fitted !!!! 5555

Thanks. smile.png

1800B from Sumet

Cheers!

a 50% improvement from a variator ?? someone should call honda R+D and let them know theyre doing it all wrong smile.png

Wana,

Honda R&D hasn’t missed anything.

In Thailand PCX variators have 18 gram weights whereas in Europe/Aus./US they have 15 gram ones. This is because here the average rider in Asia is lighter and it does reduce fuel consumption very, very slightly.

It is easy to get better performance buy putting 15 gram or lighter weights in which allows the engine to rev more and helps for heavier riders. Add to that machining off the stop in the OEM variator to allow the belt to travel fully to the outside of the pulley which increases the overall top speed and maybe machining the angle of the bottom part of the pulley to keep the belt low (thereby gearing low) during initial acceleration.

To get even more performance during acceleration one has to modify or change the ramp plate angle and the angle of the slots in the variator. Or change to a completely different design of variator like J. Costa.

Edited by VocalNeal