Galaxy Tab 8.9 And 10.1

Sakeopete

went over to the samsung shop to purchase a 10.1 and saw that the 8.9 was in stock...the sales guy said it just came out a couple days ago. i ended up buying the 16gb white 8.9 wifi+3g. they had the 850mhz model and the 900mhz model. both going for 17900 baht each. he also said that there will be a limited edition one coming out next week with a black rubberized back..

On GSM Arena they are listing the 8.9 as being quad-band for 3G. So my question is this: Is Samsung providing de-rated models in certain markets (or for specific carriers?)

Also, does anybody know of a software function on any smartphones or tablets that will display what bands it operates on for 2G or 3G? Seems the only sure way I know of determining that on a unit is looking at the original box (if that is available.)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at buying a new tab and the Galaxy Tab 10.1 looks interesting , ive researched a bit on the internet and help from lomatopo , but would be pleased if any one here who has / had the 10.1 model could offer their thoughts and comments to some one who may be thinking about buying one .

Thanks

I'm looking at buying a new tab and the Galaxy Tab 10.1 looks interesting , ive researched a bit on the internet and help from lomatopo , but would be pleased if any one here who has / had the 10.1 model could offer their thoughts and comments to some one who may be thinking about buying one .

Thanks

I have had my 10.1 a few weeks now & have no complaints.

Does everything well & the voice search feature is nice & accurate.

Also a few nice touch's are

the open apps button to see what your running& allows you to multi task

Not having to go back to the home screen each time like the Ipad2 ( my wife has one )

a task manager to kill anything you want that may be open

wifi is simple to setup

speed is very fast in all apps I have tried

The stock web browser is great! I have tried 3 others & the stock one does it best for me.

The You Tube app is very nice

Tons of great free apps & games

One of the best things for me is I can just plug it into my windows laptop

& drag & drop what I want where I want.......Simple & no I-Tunes needed

If you want to transfer remotely you can use Drop box which is free up to 2GB I think

The news feed app Pulse is outstanding & you can customize it any way you want

for what ever news feeds/sports/tech etc you want

I could go on but you get the idea.

I would like to add a con but as yet have not found one.....really

PS: The thai visa droid app is nice too :)

Edited by flying

Thanks

I have had my 10.1 a few weeks now & have no complaints.

Does everything well & the voice search feature is nice & accurate.

Also a few nice touch's are

the open apps button to see what your running& allows you to multi task

Not having to go back to the home screen each time like the Ipad2 ( my wife has one )

a task manager to kill anything you want that may be open

wifi is simple to setup

speed is very fast in all apps I have tried

The stock web browser is great! I have tried 3 others & the stock one does it best for me.

The You Tube app is very nice

Tons of great free apps & games

One of the best things for me is I can just plug it into my windows laptop

& drag & drop what I want where I want.......Simple & no I-Tunes needed

If you want to transfer remotely you can use Drop box which is free up to 2GB I think

The news feed app Pulse is outstanding & you can customize it any way you want

for what ever news feeds/sports/tech etc you want

I could go on but you get the idea.

I would like to add a con but as yet have not found one.....really

PS: The thai visa droid app is nice too smile.png

Many thanks for the comments, has the lack of an external SD Card slot made any difference ? , have you by chance used 3G to connect to the internet , and have you thought of buying the Samsung Keyboard Dock ?

2012-01-05_201d9.png

2012-01-05_2019.png

Thanks

Many thanks for the comments, has the lack of an external SD Card slot made any difference ? , have you by chance used 3G to connect to the internet , and have you thought of buying the Samsung Keyboard Dock ?

Thanks

Hi TL,

No the lack of SD card slot has not bothered me at all & space has not been a problem.

As I said I can easily connect with USB cord directly to my laptop & transfer anything or use wifi & either dropbox or cloud type apps to transfer.

I have not as yet used 3G & have left Thailand to go back to the US now so not sure I will.

Wifi is so prevalent here but I may try it. I did notice the 3G was not expensive in Thailand & will

surely try it next time as there are times we are in the country there & without internet.

As for the keyboard....No mainly because I want the tablet as is. The keyboard on it works quite well for me

& also some folks love this thumb keyboard which I have not tried yet...

Also I will admit that since I have a laptop I do not see the point of making the tablet into one with a smaller screen.

The developers work so hard to make the thinnest lightest tablet so the docks or even this cool Alum case with the keys IMHO

seems a little backwards. I can understand if it is your only device (no laptop) then maybe yes.

Here is the case I bought in Thailand & like how slim it is...You can get it for 1200 baht at most places

Also here is the thumb keyboard I have not used yet & may try although I type fine on the stock setup

Happy New Year

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like there might be a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 soon.

http://www.slashgear...etail-27174668/

Now that sounds interesting smile.gif

bought it in HKG 2 days ago at the airport, after flirting with this little cute baby for almost one week at any FORTRESS-Outlet over there, but unable to decide if I should buy or not. was 5.088 HKD and I doubt it will be cheaper here in the LOS ( anyone is in desperate need to buy it from me at an extortionate rate ? HoHoHo ^^ )

I have a netbook almost same size as the Galaxy 10.1 already, and I am sure I will definitely LOVE the smaller size of the galaxy 7.7.

very handy and compact, and a very high-quality and robust appearance. no cheapo plastic-design.

I hope Samsung-Shop at Paragon already sells the original Samsung table-book-Cover...

• 7 months later...
has the lack of an external SD Card slot made any difference ?

Has anyone purchased and used the Galaxy Tab™ USB & SD Connection Kit? http://www.samsung.c.../EPL-1PLRBEGSTA

Also any recommended cases?

i received these free when buying at the Mobile Expo and they work great. That said i heard there is a restriction on the GB size ability to connect. Unfortunately if you're using the connector with USB you can't then charge, so have to have suffiecient charge or move to internal storage when watching movies..

Both items work flawlessly but with Bubble UPnP, DNLA and Wifi it's not often i need to use either.