Pattaya Taxies

pauljones

Pattaya Taxies refuse to use the meter and charge extortionist prices.

This has a stifling effect on local businesses.

Does the taxi service in Pattaya have a contract with the city?

Are they required by law to use the meters?

Perhaps a journalist or investigative reporter look into the Taxi Mafia?

Chief of Chonburi Provincial Transportation, Mr. Kajon Wangit.

Pattaya Traffic Inspector Pol. Sub Lt. Tanapong Poti

Over to you.

The taxis are owned by the baht bus collective. This monopolistic arrangement was approved by city hall. Do the math. Yes, it is totally disgusting and very bad for the public and any hopes Pattaya ever has of becoming the world class tourist city the authorities give lip service to wanting. But their actions speak louder.

'Perhaps a journalist or investigative reporter look into the taxi mafia?' A Journalist? Investigative reporter? In Pattaya? No such species i'm afraid. Have you read any of the local rags? They make the Sun look like the encyclopedia britannica.

Those unmetered meter taxis seem to have drivers who are even more dangerous and demented than the average Baht Bus driver. Maybe it's a Baht Bus co-operative scheme for elderly insane drivers who can no longer be trusted with a dozen Russians hanging off the back, so for their final demented years of driving they stick them behind the wheel of one of these meter taxis?

I counted 16 adults (many large) in a Baht Bus the other week. I think the max is supposed to be 11?

The extra weight at the back causes the front end to rise - making the steering vague and the brakes inadequate.

Then it goes down Thrappaya Road to negotiate the mega pot holes and the burst drains that create a skid pan on the smooth tarred parts.

Life is a risk. And even more risky in Pattaya / Jomtien....but at least outside the Courts they have put some nice flowering shrubs in the central area....

I have noticed many of the "public" baht buses have become thinned out due to the Russian tourists hiring the baht busses for private use. Even the Thais are complaining about waiting longer than usual to get on a public songtaew. With the private blue and yellow taxis in Pattaya, the drivers prefer to sit around and wait for a "sucker" than to be kept busy and use the meter. (For me, using the taxis in Bangkok is always easy. The driver always uses the meter and when I reach my destination without a hassle, I give him a deserved tip. The taxi mafia guys in Pattaya don't understand this.)