So Were You Caught Out By Thaivisa April Fools Prank?

george

Secondly, and more importantly, I'm not planning to get married to a Cambodian girl at the moment.

But it says something about the state of the world, and maybe ourselves, that we could give credence to such a story.

>snip<

mr harries has still got 'punked' by the April Fools joke. To clarify the truth for Mr Harries. The prohibition on marrying Cambodian girls is true. The joke was this law had spread to Thailand...

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Certainly showed who has a sense of humour. Plenty of sanctimony and bitterness to go around too.

I don't know what was funnier, those who are still worked up 24hrs later, or those still calling us on it after 100s of others. :lol:

Your right it showed that you lot who put it up haven't got a sense of humour. A decent April fools joke has some small indicators.

Shame on you :D:D

Must say, I reconised the headline straight away, from the Cambodian one and realised what it was.

It is not a bad Idea though. Perhaps TV could propose the motion?

jb1

Ok hands up I was fooled. That having been said I actually think a law like that would protect many Farang from being taken to the cleaners by their 'Tillaks'.

My girlfriend took it at face value as well (well its in writing so it must be true)she is a 35 year old Thai nurse who wants to get married I am a 51 year old teacher who doesn't! (not for the third time!!!!)

Anyhow, good one Thai visa, and thanks for providing me with the reason that I cant get married! :D

The reason so many people responded to this is because it is not beyond the realm of possibilities. Highly believable actually. That is the ugly truth in the land of smiles.

No, the reason so many people responded is that they'd like to believe it was true, as they look for any excuse to bash Thailand and proclaim their Western superiority. The irony is that all of the posters on that thread who belittle the intelligence of the Thai people in general, and their government in particular, themselves lack the intelligence to recognise a joke post. And, judging by its continuing popularity, are unable / refuse to be educated.

Yes have to admit I was taken in, The irony of it ,which got so many people up in arms is that it did not suprise anyone. Not one poster said: No this can't be true, even though a few did see through it as an April 1 prank. The thing is people believed it, me included. It just goes to show that a lot of people expect the rediculous to happen here in Thailand. Anyway good fun and did stur up a lot of emotion. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :lol: :lol:

The reason so many people responded to this is because it is not beyond the realm of possibilities. Highly believable actually. That is the ugly truth in the land of smiles.

No, the reason so many people responded is that they'd like to believe it was true, as they look for any excuse to bash Thailand and proclaim their Western superiority. The irony is that all of the posters on that thread who belittle the intelligence of the Thai people in general, and their government in particular, themselves lack the intelligence to recognise a joke post. And, judging by its continuing popularity, are unable / refuse to be educated.

Spot on .... It certainly was the best April Fool's joke yet and it did put egg on many faces :)

I wasn't taken in by it, and I don't think it was funny because I knew it would be picked up by international news. Great, you got rags like the Daily Mail to publicize to all their readers that the old white men in Thailand were protesting because they can't marry young Thai girls anymore. Fantastic job and way to keep up the stereotypes that harm all of us living here.

Yes have to admit I was taken in, The irony of it ,which got so many people up in arms is that it did not suprise anyone. Not one poster said: No this can't be true, even though a few did see through it as an April 1 prank. The thing is people believed it, me included. It just goes to show that a lot of people expect the rediculous to happen here in Thailand. Anyway good fun and did stur up a lot of emotion. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :lol: :lol:

What you are saying is very true. It is or is about to become law in Cambodia. So know reason why Thailand shouldn't take it up. But then again me thinks even the Thai government know when they are on to a good thing? <_<

jb1

Posts revealing the April Fools joke were of course removed from view by the moderators as soon as they were posted, otherwise the joke would have been blown 5 minutes after it was posted. :rolleyes:

Huh don't you believe it. It is still going strong. :lol:

jb1

Posts revealing the April Fools joke were of course removed from view by the moderators as soon as they were posted, otherwise the joke would have been blown 5 minutes after it was posted. :rolleyes:

I valiantly tried to help the believers by referring to a big hit by The Who in 1971, but as you say Phil, it was instantly removed.

Long term posters will know it's a Thai Visa tradition to post an April Fool.

Obvious it was April Fools Day and anyone caught out or upset by this has only themselves to blame.

All in good fun and a great effort, George. Some of the replies brought a smile to my face.:lol:

Though, I did like the thought that if over 50's were not allowed to marry here it would save a lot of family hassle and pressure :whistling:

Now, if they really would consider it, they would get my vote B)

That was very impressive, I was watching and as soon as one dude would post 'April fools', a refresh a minute later it would be gone :lol:

:)

The amazing thing is that people are still railing on about it in the original thread

I saw the headline via the twitter TL and laughed while at work. Many hours later I went to the forum and found 30(!!!) pages of replies. Then I didn't know if I should laugh or cry...a good reason as any to in general not care about getting foreign friends here. :D

I posted

"Not fooled" minutes after the thread was started.

The post miraculously vanished.

Hmmmmmm.

Do you yell out the endings of movies too?

No, but I don't laugh when someone slips on a banana and breaks their neck either.

Edited by Jingthing

I posted

Hmmmmmm.

No, but I don't laugh when someone slips on a banana and breaks their neck either.

Did anyone now? No.

Posting the spoiler on the first page is the equivalent to standing outside the cinema with a poster spoiling the ending of 'Crying Game'...

Edited by TAWP

I posted

Hmmmmmm.

But these people didn't happen to step on a banana skin while walking along minding their own business. They went out of their way to find the banana, took a running leap at it and fell flat on their faces.

Personally, I didn't think the joke was very good. I have seen much better. Also keep in mind that many members here are outside the Thai time zone and may have missed this 1 April connection as the date was different in their time zone. Doesn't matter, my post only lasted a few minutes at most anyway, chill out.

Edited by Jingthing

I posted

Hmmmmmm.

Like when folk are queuing up outside to see the Titanic. Someone comes out and shouts out. It sinks in the end.

Happened to me.

jb1

I posted

Hmmmmmm.

Like when folk are queuing up outside to see the Titanic. Someone comes out and shouts out. It sinks in the end.

Happened to me.

jb1

You bastard! I was going to watch that this evening.