Retirement Extensions, 800K Method

Supposing you have two or three Thai bank accounts, and use the 800K baht seasoned method in ONE account to get your retirement extension.

Is there any requirement (implied or explicit) that you need to show proof of your OTHER Thai bank accounts at the time of application?

No, I would say not. You need to show at least 800,000. if you do that with 1 account, than no need to show your other accounts. Of course some officers might think differently, but I would say you only need to show that you meet the requirement.

Thanks, that's what it figured, it's common sense really, but with immigration common sense isn't always the ticket.

What am I missing in all of these retirement visa threads? Why would anyone ever worry about having 800k, whether here or elsewhere. Go to your consulate, swear you have an income and be done with it.

Edited by lannarebirth

Thanks, that's what it figured, it's common sense really, but with immigration common sense isn't always the ticket.

What am I missing in all of these retirement visa threads? Why would anyone ever worry about having 800k, whether here or elsewhere. Go to your consulate, swear you have an income and be done with it.

Only a few embassies make you swear a statement, most other embaseis require proof of your income.

Besides, lying under oath is a crime and could lead to trouble with both THai immigration and your own government.

800,000 must be seasoned for the required time. If it is all in one bank, then no need to show any additional banks.

If using several different banks to total at least 800,000 each of those accounts must also be seasoned and a bank certified letter and other required documents presented to immigration.

For example, 100,000 can not be seasoned alone and the other 700,000 not seasoned in other accounts.

For an income letter always be prepared to answer if immigraion asks for proof. Regardless of nationality, they have discretion to consider an application of extension, and ask to satisfy the officer a person meets the criteria for consideration.

Immigration web site currently says a certified income letter from a persons home country obtained in thailand is proof of meeting criteria.

Debatable by some, but the officer can, and sometimes do ask for whatever they want to satisfy themselfs that you do meet the criteria to be approved.

I myself always show my income to the embassy offical afirming even if they don't ask for it. I show it.

Not up to anyone other then the Embassy to question their policy for issuance of a letter.

That all occurs in private between a person and the Embassy Consular staff.

You "afirm and swear" under oath and penalty of perjury in your country that it is true and correct.

You are on your countries soverign soil when at such Embassy, and as such, subject to your countries laws

What you are missing is that many using the 800K banked method do not have an income.

Next ...

jingthng.

re ... What you are missing is that many using the 800K banked method do not have an income.

very true ...

i use the 800 in the bank route coz i retired at 54 have had no income for the last seven years

and wont get a penny from anywhere until i get my english pension in another three years

so your spot on with your comment

dave2

What you are missing is that many using the 800K banked method do not have an income.

Next ...

I'm 53 and don't have an income (outside my own resources), except what I say is my income. I can make it whatever I want.

Next ...

I'm 53 and don't have an income (outside my own resources), except what I say is my income. I can make it whatever I want.

Some might call that fraud, if I read what you just wrote correctly.

This is the choice you have made and you have to live with it. I have read about other criminals who boasted about their crimes, worse than yours, like murder, so you are not unique in that respect.

The other members, I refer to this earlier post in this topic:

Only a few embassies make you swear a statement, most other embaseis require proof of your income.

Besides, lying under oath is a crime and could lead to trouble with both THai immigration and your own government.

For general knowledge about a recent development at the Bangkok Cheng Wattana immigration office, this post is worth reading:

Chang Wattana, Friday, male American, female Thai Immigration officer, U.S. Embassy "proof of income" letter.

Her: Sir, American, I see,

Him: Yes, and here's my Embassy letter.

Her: Ah, did you provide the U.S. Embassy with any backup documentation for that letter?

Him: No, not required.

Her: Well, it's required here these days.

Him: OK, here's what I have....

Her: Fine, retirement extension approved....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Above from a conversation at lunch today, Saturday, and no, not a "April Fools" comment. No question or comment about possible application of this requirement at other Immigration offices.

Mac

So any other countries authentification of income is not valid in Thailand either unless the proper procedures below are followed:

Step 5: Obtain Embassy/Consulate Authentication of Foreign Government

Once the documents have been authenticated by the U.S. Department of State, bring the documents to the foreign embassy in the United States of the country requesting the documents, where they will do the final authentication.

Contact information for the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington D.C. can be found at: http://www.thaiembdc.org/index.htm

Step 6: Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Legalization Division

Once the document is in Thailand, submit the document to the THAI MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS - LEGALIZATION DIVISION to make the document legal for use in Thailand. Once they put their stamp and seal on the document it can now be used in Thailand officially. The phone number for the Legalization Division is (+66) 2-981-7171.

Have your Accountants and CPA's standing by and come to the new Thailand IRS for Foreigners and Expats/Immigration Division for verification following the stamp and seal of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs Legal Division.

Lets just make all this complicated boys and gurls. :rolleyes:

Edited by TacoBoy

Next ...

those without income do they beg or steal to make a living? :huh:

those without income do they beg or steal to make a living? :huh:

Some perhaps. Ever heard of ASSETS?

Many early retirees don't have a pension yet but expect one at a later age, so just spend assets until then. Then there are the truly wealthy who won't ever need an income. Also keep in mind a lot of baby boomer types have inherited a lot of wealth.

It is very decent that Thailand offers the bank account method for retirees in such situations.

Edited by Jingthing

Next ...

Some might call that fraud, if I read what you just wrote correctly.

It's not fraud. Are you joking? Clearly you did not understand me.

This was my latest retirement visa experience:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/454447-retirement-visa/page__view__findpost__p__4309550

Edited by lannarebirth

This is the choice you have made and you have to live with it. I have read about other criminals who boasted about their crimes, worse than yours, like murder, so you are not unique in that respect.

Crimes? I am in total compliance with Thai law. I just don't sweat this 800k in a bank "seasoning" nonsense. I must have been unclear in my post for you to get this impression.

For at least the US Embassy in Bangkok, it IS possible to have your income autheticated, but not by showing it to the Consular Official who handles your Affirmation of Income. Start here:

U.S. CONSULAR OFFICERS ARE NOT EMPOWERED TO AUTHENTICATE PUBLIC DOCUMENTS ISSUED IN THE UNITED STATES.

http://bangkok.usemb...entication.html

So this is what you get you americans... or you get what you asks for!!!! As being the only country that allows its citizens to

state their income without any backup docs, you ends up with immigration double check everything....

I say finally.............

Glegolo

:rolleyes:

As the certification of 'commercial' documents from USA as I referenced in Post #12 would have to originate in the USA and would involve much effort on the part of the Thai Embassy in Washington DC and the MoFA at CW here in Bangkok, the Thai IMM Department has basically said 'Never Mind' and will accept the sworn statement of US citizens as to their affirmation monthly income.. any Corroboration thereof at Thai IMM officer's discretion..

Obamanation-Emily-Litella-Never-mind.jpg

It's not fraud. Are you joking? Clearly you did not understand me.

This was my latest retirement visa experience:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/454447-retirement-visa/page__view__findpost__p__4309550

Fine, sir, no fraud, that's nice, but no joke either. Clearly, you wrote something here in THIS thread that could indeed be read as being suggestive of fraud.

To wit--

I can make it whatever I want.

If you don't understand how that can be read that way, sorry, but it can, ESPECIALLY in the context of the previous discussion on this thread. A mod in post 11 read it the same way I did. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Jingthing

jingthng.

re ... What you are missing is that many using the 800K banked method do not have an income.

very true ...

i use the 800 in the bank route coz i retired at 54 have had no income for the last seven years

and wont get a penny from anywhere until i get my english pension in another three years

so your spot on with your comment

dave2

Yes, that is applicable for chaps that have no steady income yet and wait for their pension to arrive, after which they can begin reducing the holding sum of 800k in order to spend it.

But that would not be appropriate for retired 'businessman' or wealthy people who would not wish to disclose their income, thus they use the 800K route.