Looking For Programmers

Hi All

Well, I am once again in search of programmers - Thai Nationals only.

We are developing ERP/manufacturing software. We have our own 4GL, so exposure to 4GLs would be an advantage.

Other than that, we just want guys with good programming skills, 2 years plus for developer positions, 5 years plus for senior developers. These are permanent jobs for an international company.

For more details - Programmers for Fujitsu GLOVIA

Agencies are turning up very little - anyone know of a good source for developers here ? Perhaps you can recommend someone...

Cheers

Pete

Good programmers are hard to find ONLY when you don't have the cash to pay them.

Then suddently they show up when you have the right compensation package.

If you are not getting anything, it's because your package is not attractive.

Good programmers are not cheap. If you want cheap, get students or Indians.

How much are you planning to pay them ? if anything less than 20k or even 30k, then you can keep dreaming. Actually more like 40k as you are "asking" business skills in that job description. Try 50k, you might start to find people.

These numbers are in THB for monthly salary

Edited by Butterfly

Good programmers are hard to find ONLY when you don't have the cash to pay them.

How much are you planning to pay them ? if anything less than 20k or even 30k, then you can keep dreaming. Actually more like 40k as you are "asking" business skills in that job description. Try 50k, you might start to find people.

Salaries are not an issue here - we are a $38 billion company ! You will see that salary is not advertised - pretty standard for Thailand, I think.

What I'm having trouble with - is getting people in for interview. I am using 4 agencies, 2 national newspapers & jobsdb. I just can't seem to get people in the door.

Salaries are not an issue here - we are a $38 billion company ! You will see that salary is not advertised - pretty standard for Thailand, I think.

What I'm having trouble with - is getting people in for interview. I am using 4 agencies, 2 national newspapers & jobsdb. I just can't seem to get people in the door.

If salary isn't an issue... what about drop out the "Thai Nationals only" quote, maybe then you'll get quite a few guys 'thru' your doors for an interview...

If salary isn't an issue... what about drop out the "Thai Nationals only" quote, maybe then you'll get quite a few guys 'thru' your doors for an interview...

Because I want to employ Thais... :o

We are in the process of becoming a 100% foreign owned company (Alian business license) - which BOI are helping us do but one condition is we'll only be able to get a WP for one employee.

That'll be me.

BOI are helping us do but one condition is we'll only be able to get a WP for one employee

Thats interesting, so you can't ask for more W/P's even if you had more than 100 or so Thai employees ?

I would change the criteria to allow foreign workers as contractors only if they are employed by another company that supplies the W/P. Then you have a contract with another Thai company, who provides qualified workers, then all you need to do is inspect the W/P.

I have had a number of job offers on that basis, that the employing company does not have to worry about the W/P, I have my own that can be produced on the first day of work.

BOI are helping us do but one condition is we'll only be able to get a WP for one employee

Thats interesting, so you can't ask for more W/P's even if you had more than 100 or so Thai employees ?

I would change the criteria to allow foreign workers as contractors only if they are employed by another company that supplies the W/P. Then you have a contract with another Thai company, who provides qualified workers, then all you need to do is inspect the W/P.

I have had a number of job offers on that basis, that the employing company does not have to worry about the W/P, I have my own that can be produced on the first day of work.

A work permit states the place of work. I can't see how it'd be legal for someone with a work permit from another company to work at my company.

Anyway - I'd prefer locals - it's sending the wrong message to our HQ if we can't find local staff @ local rates - they may as well go to India instead. :o

Would you consider someone that meets all your requirements except for holding an "IT, supply chain or manufacturing related degree"?

Yes - the actual degree is unimportant. In fact, I have 1 guy here who never finished his degree (financial constraints) but he's a great Team Leader. Good at coding & great with the staff on his team. I pretty much let him get on with it.

I'd better edit that advert....

If you have someone in mind - let me know.

Anyway - I'd prefer locals - it's sending the wrong message to our HQ if we can't find local staff @ local rates - they may as well go to India instead.  :D

Wait a minute, I thought "Salary was not an issue here" :o

It's not - we'll pay local rates. Good ones too. We won't pay 150,000 Baht plus legal fees for an expat who will always be on the lookout for a better deal.

Would you consider someone that meets all your requirements except for holding an "IT, supply chain or manufacturing related degree"?

Yes - the actual degree is unimportant. In fact, I have 1 guy here who never finished his degree (financial constraints) but he's a great Team Leader. Good at coding & great with the staff on his team. I pretty much let him get on with it.

I'd better edit that advert....

If you have someone in mind - let me know.

Yeah i do have someone in mind ...me. :o But i'm not a Thai national, which seems to be one of the requirements. Anyway if you can't find someone send me a pm, i'll also keep an ear open if i know of someone that meets the requirements and is in the market.

Pedro,

If salaries are not an issue, and you can't get people, why not try to state some numbers in your JobDB ad? The ads can be changed anytime as I guess you know. Nice numbers attract more attention to your ad, and will give a bigger incentive to go to the interview.

Hi

I am also looking for experienced / V good developers (.NET, C# / VB.net) XML, Windows Services, TCP/IP, SQLServer experience also required .... Looking for guru people only. Ideally Thai national however expat who can speak some Thai will be considered. Salary is simply based on experience! ...

I have been looking for weeks for someone, had adverts in Bangkok Post, signed up to JobsDB etc. and have found no one senior enough. Most are web developers with DB experience. I need someone that knows what a socket is! :-)

A full C#.NET Test will be part of interview, so please only experienced people.

Paul

A work permit states the place of work. I can't see how it'd be legal for someone with a work permit from another company to work at my company.

Same as me, I am permitted to go and work for a customer. The customer doesn't pay me personally one statang, it pays the Company that got my Work-permit. Its a financial arangement between the Company receiving the services and the one providing it.

This is how it normally works. My Old WP, which I set up that way specifically talks about IT Systems and Manufacturing and it says in Thai I can Consult, Manage, Instruct and Control Computer systems and Manufacturing Systems in All of Thailand under the direction of XXXXX Company. Of course XXXXX was paying my Social and Tax.

You just have to make sure the WP says they can work anywhere in Bangkok or Thailand, and not at a single address. They must always carry the WP with them.

BTW foreigners will work for Thai wages, though sometimes you have to pay a premium 10-20%

Wait a minute, I thought "Salary was not an issue here"  :o

It's not - we'll pay local rates. Good ones too. We won't pay 150,000 Baht plus legal fees for an expat who will always be on the lookout for a better deal.

I wonder where this number came from.

Why you assume that an expat wants 150k++ THB?

FYI in all my job applications to companies in Thailand i never stated more than 35/40k...

:D

Edited by phastmike

Most are web developers with DB experience.  I need someone that knows what a socket is! :-)

wait,

web developers with db experience and cannot create a raw function using sockets to connect to the db server? :o Those guys learn how to program where? They actually know anything about ISO Layers or at least what a TCP/IP port is..?

I wonder where this number came from.

Why you assume that an expat wants 150k++ THB?

FYI in all my job applications to companies in Thailand i never stated more than 35/40k...

phastmike, I think making a good impression on the head office means more to the OP than recruiting high quality programmers.
You just have to make sure the WP says they can work anywhere in Bangkok or Thailand, and not at a single address. They must always carry the WP with them.

mattnich - I never knew an address-less WP is possible. Are there any special requirements for that?