Do You Speak Thai?

Thomas_Merton

Do you speak or read Thai?  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, after years of studying Thai I still don't know the characters, still can't hear or produce the tones and can't even make simple utterances understood. I still have to look at my briefs to figure out what color the day of the week is.

I've pretty much decided that rather than devote more time to learning Thai I'll be better off devoting time to learning how to get along without it.

So far, so good.

I couldn't agree more. The self-important rubbish you read all the time on this board which tries to equate fluency in the Thai language with the ability, even the right, the understand this place is utter crap. Those who claim that you have to speak Thai to live here or to understand Thailand probably aren't much good at living anywhere and they sure as heck don't know many Thais of any substance.

However, after years of studying Thai I still don't know the characters, still can't hear or produce the tones and can't even make simple utterances understood. I still have to look at my briefs to figure out what color the day of the week is.

I've pretty much decided that rather than devote more time to learning Thai I'll be better off devoting time to learning how to get along without it.

So far, so good.

I couldn't agree more. The self-important rubbish you read all the time on this board which tries to equate fluency in the Thai language with the ability, even the right, the understand this place is utter crap. Those who claim that you have to speak Thai to live here or to understand Thailand probably aren't much good at living anywhere and they sure as heck don't know many Thais of any substance.

You seem to be quite fluent in troll speak. :o

Yeah and the Thai living in America or the Uk, for example, who can't speak English and

is too lazy to learn will understand as much about the country as those who can listen to the news, read the newspapers etc. Come on, if you can understand the language, you will find out a lot more about the culture you are living in. If you can't you are missing out on an awful lot.

Yeah and the Thai living in America or the Uk, for example, who can't speak English and

is too lazy to learn will understand as much about the country as those who can listen to the news, read the newspapers etc. Come on, if you can understand the language, you will find out a lot more about the culture you are living in. If you can't you are missing out on an awful lot.

Without a doubt.

Of course you can learn a lot about a country without speaking the language, you can even be quite familiar with it, but relying on foreign language information only means you miss out on important parts of what is going on around you. For me it stands to reason that you should make the effort to learn the language of the country you reside in, out of convenience, respect and last but not least out of natural curiosity.

...and they sure as heck don't know many Thais of any substance.

Interesting conclusion.

Those who claim that you have to speak Thai to live here or to understand Thailand probably aren't much good at living anywhere and they sure as heck don't know many Thais of any substance.
One of my friends has lived in Thailand for nearly 30 years. He was 2nd in command in the largest embassy here and got the 'order of the white elephant', the second highest level! He knows many, many Thais of 'substance'. He has lived all over the world as an Consulate and first officer at embassies. He can't speak Thai one little bit. He has always expected his wife or servants to translate for him. He can't go anywhere, apart from the RBSC, or his other expensive places alone - sad, he is an old man who when out with me, hasn't clue what Thais are saying - not much respect for a country he loves and has done so much for. Too bloody stubborn to learn now, and too proud to admit he made a mistake in not learning the language.
QUOTE(OldAsiaHand)

...and they sure as heck don't know many Thais of any substance.

Interesting conclusion.

Certainly is!

Edited by Neeranam

My Thai is fairly good but after I learnt the alphabet and learnt how the thai language was structured I became somewhat lazy. I can hold serious conversations but some times get caught out by my lack of vocab. This to me is one of the is the most important thing for people to do try and increase your vocab. Thai`s say to me that when I talk I sound like a native, from africa(joke). This makes me feel good but I should really try to add to my vocab.

Personally I don`t feel the need to practice writing thai. well done to those who an and do.

I noticed that "I read a Thai newspaper" is higher on the list than "I read Thai literature or serious books" implying that reading serious literature is more difficult than reading the Thai newspaper. I'm wondering if that is correct. My wife is pregnant for the first time and brought home a "serious book" on pregnancy. She showed it to me and we read sections of it together. I was able to read it fairly well. Since my level of Thai is not really so high, I had to ask her to explain many words to me. I have also read her "Political Science" textbook from Ramkamheng and can follow it, but again need her to explain many words. In general I find the Thai newspaper more difficult to follow. Of course I'm not suggesting that the Thai newspaper is written better than serious books (not suggesting because I can't read well enough to determine and it would sort of be like comparing the San Francisco Chronicle to Dickens :D ). The Thai newspaper is so full of short forms and therefore difficult (for me) that it seems the rating on the poll should be reversed.

I'd like to hear if others, especially those of you that can really read think the newspaper is easier or harder to read than 'serious books'.

Well, on 2nd thought since only 2 people on the poll suggested they are at that level, I may not get a huge response. :o

Comments from native Thai speakers?????

I noticed that "I read a Thai newspaper" is higher on the list than "I read Thai literature or serious books" implying that reading serious literature is more difficult than reading the Thai newspaper.  I'm wondering if that is correct.  My wife is pregnant for the first time and brought home a "serious book" on pregnancy.  She showed it to me and we read sections of it together.  I was able to read it fairly well.  Since my level of Thai is not really so high, I had to ask her to explain many words to me.  I have also read her "Political Science" textbook from Ramkamheng and can follow it, but again need her to explain many words.  In general I find the Thai newspaper more difficult to follow.  Of course I'm not suggesting that the Thai newspaper is written better than serious books (not suggesting because I can't read well enough to determine and it would sort of be like comparing the San Francisco Chronicle to Dickens  :D ).  The Thai newspaper is so full of short forms and therefore difficult (for me) that it seems the rating on the poll should be reversed. 

I'd like to hear if others, especially those of you that can really read think the newspaper is easier or harder to read than 'serious books'.

Well, on 2nd thought since only 2 people on the poll suggested they are at that level, I may not get a huge response.  :o

Comments from native Thai speakers?????

I agree with you about Thai newspapers being harder to read than many Thai books. I know some Thais who, after having lived abroad for many years, can't deal with Thai newspapers for the reasons that you cited.

IMHO, however, making an effort to read the newspapers & magazines can help you get a flavor of opinions and outlooks, especially those Op/Ed section. For example, the other day, Ajarn Jermsak Pinthong had a thought provoking op/ed on the take over of Matichon and the Bangkokpost - his theory is that the real target of the take over was the Bangkokpost - Matichon is just a smoking screen. After all that was said and done, Matichon stayed in tact, but Bkkpost has now been taken over. Anyway - some of these articles are quite readable.....

After 3 years in the country here is the result:

I speak pretty good.

I write very good.

I read ok, but still very slow.

In my opinion, the writing is the easiest.

I still take reading lessons to improve.

I've never met anyone before who can write Thai and not read it. In any language come to think of it. :o

Didn't say "I can't read", I said "I read too slow" (according to me, which is probably very fast for others)...

I agree with the sentiment that Thai newspapers are harder to undestand than Thai novels but its a case of getting use to 'Newspaper Thai' if you will, and many people struggle with the layout of Thai papers as well. On the other hand many novels are written in more 'straightforward Thai'. Once you get to grips with the way papers are written then it becomes less difficult. I have an article somewhere about (the difficulties of) reading Thai newspapers which if I can lay my hands on it this weekend, I'll try and post up here. Once nice comparison however would be to imagine how a Thai who had learned the Queen's English would manage with The Sun newspaper (A UK Tabloid famed for it's use of colloquialisms)

From my own perspective I have always found 'Daily News' use fairly straight forward Thai (for a Thai Newspaper that is!) I have found that periodicals are useful as they seem to bridge the gap a little between books and newspapers. A very good one which you can find at markets (especially at Chatuchak) is 'Thanon Nang Sue' which is a literary review now sadly defunct.

I also think that Old Asia Hand has a fair point. I know several people who studied Thai alongside me at uni who were disgracefully ignorant of the country to the extent that I wondered why they were even studying Thai at all apart from the fact that they knew the language already and were in it for an easy ride.

Saying you can't understand a country because you don't speak the language is a little like saying that a sports writer isn't qualified to write about sports because they have never played that particular sport.

I'd say that its more a question of the individual's attitude as to how much one learns about a country. I know guys who have learned Thai so they can communicate with the ladies and for no other real reason and I know people who have minimal Thai language skills who have made an effort to get to grips with the country and know a considerable amount about Thailand.

Meadish made an excellent point about availiable written information sources in ones own mother tongue about Thailand. In the case of English, I'd say I have found English language sources a lot more reliable than Thai sources in certain subjects, particularly in history and politics (If you want some tongue twisting Thai try some of the Thai Language histories especially from the Ayutthya period! Nasty!)

Finally however I would also like to echo Meadish's sentiment that one should make an effort to learn the language of the country they live in or are visiting out of common respect. Personally I'm so nosy I just have to know what people are talking about, as well as being a blabbermouth, which gives me good incentive to learn languages.

I've been studying Thai for 7 months and from my experience reading the newspaper is more difficult than reading books. Foreign (English) words and names prove to be a pain for me. They are words that I'm just not used to seeing when doing my daily reading exercises.

In the beginning it was hard to get anyone in Bangkok to give me the time of day and converse to me in Thai. (Except for Taxi Drivers) When continuing my studies in Chiangmai, everyone around me was happy to help me develop my language skills. (Probably because their English ability is a lot less than that of the Bangkokians)

I have returned to Bangkok where now the majority will speak to me in Thai and appear as though they cannot be bothered to speak to me in English. This makes me feel as though I have improved.

Once a farang can speak Thai at a good level, they will definately receive respect from the locals. But up untill you reach that level, you face an uphill battle finding any one wanting to speak to a farang who speaks only broken Thai.

Sometimes the locals can really lower your confidence but hang in there, have determination and it will be well worth it in the end.

I'm learning Thai and at the moment I can talk basic TH to my Step-mum and her family, also my brother.

My brother is 15 and all he did to learn TH was no school he just learnt from his friends. He has a very good TH accent and speaks TH like a local which is quite rare. And no one yet has not understood him.

[snip]

Once a farang can speak Thai at a good level, they will definately receive respect from the locals. But up untill you reach that level, you face an uphill battle finding any one wanting to speak to a farang who speaks only broken Thai.

Sometimes the locals can really lower your confidence but hang in there, have determination and it will be well worth it in the end.

That has been my experience - that locals do not really give you much of a chance until your thai is very good. My friend went to a stall to buy bananas, and asked for some - the woman just stared at him blankly ... the stall sold only bananas, no other fruit. Actually another guy I met, raised in thailand since age 5, often gets the blank stare in restaurants etc... because he looks farang. He went to Thai school since age 6 !!!

Much of the time locals simply do not accept that you are speaking Thai, even when your pronounciation is correct. And then, if they do cotton on, they go chattering away as if you are fluent.

I guess that in the West we are more accostomed to people speaking broken english and have leart to adjust and simplify.

it does help BTW to say a phrase that is very common and obvious - like - Now I am going to speak thai, or good morning how are you - kind of thing so that the listener has chance to grasp that you can speak the lingo to some degree.

What we need is a place where we write something in English - say a useful sentence, or a word we want to know the Thai meaning of.

the reply should be the word in Thai, but written in English - if others think they can write it better in English - they can also respond.

:o

Just wondering how many members speak and read Thai.

I am assuming if you read Thai, you also speak Thai.

I am also assuming you are not a native of Thailand.

If you are - could you, please, post a note in the thread mentioning this fact?

I am pretty much bi-lingual...

Definition of bi-lingual is that you speak both languages as a native.

Been here just over a year and have been having lessons in Reading and writing for the last 2 months, and doing a lot better than I expected

The one thing that really messes me up is reading all the adverts on the BTS where some arty person has "westernised" the thai script, takes me blooming ages to decipher it!!

it does help BTW to say a phrase that is very common and obvious - like - Now I am going to speak thai, or good morning how are you - kind of thing so that the listener has chance to grasp that you can speak the lingo to some degree.
Yes, an ice-breaker is a great idea. I can speak reasonable Thai but get those blank looks often, just because of my farnag skin colour and their expecting me not to speak. Why do they expect this? Also in the country - keep it simple.
What we need is a place where we write something in English - say a useful sentence, or a word we want to know the Thai meaning of.

the reply should be the word in Thai, but written in English - if others think they can write it better in English - they can also respond.

There is such a place, called the Thai language section on this forum. Get over there and start asking. :o

Yes, an ice-breaker is a great idea. I can speak reasonable Thai but get those blank looks often, just because of my farnag skin colour and their expecting me not to speak. Why do they expect this? Also in the country - keep it simple.

There is such a place, called the Thai language section on this forum. Get over there and start asking. :o

Thanks - so many places!!!

[snip]

Much of the time locals simply do not accept that you are speaking Thai, even when your pronounciation is correct. And then, if they do cotton on, they go chattering away as if you are fluent.

You sure you weren't in France? :o

Having spent 14 years in this country, as a rule being understood speaking Thai is no problem. Sometimes, yes, a little ice breaker is needed first, like, "Can I ask your advice please", in a government office for instance where they don't know me, when I see the civil servants are developing a headache just seeing a 6 feet tall blond guy walking in, unaccompanied by a "mia khun Thai". But sometimes it still happens, like buying something in a shop where they don't know me, that the person which I initially address, simply lacks the flexibility/experience to just listen to me, taking my exotic appearance for granted. Normally he/she will hand me over to a colleague then, who understands me just fine!

Normally he/she will hand me over to a colleague then, who understands me just fine!

I get that sometimes too. Went to look at 42" plasma TVs and asked the salesperson about it. Looked at me for a couple of seconds then went over and got a manger to talk with me who had no problems.

I use Thai about 80% - 90% of the time (100% of the time with the wife). At the university it breaks down to 100% for undergrads and technicians, 80% for grads, 40% for PhD candidates, 10% to the Thai ajarns and 100% to the secretaries. I find myself often dreaming in Thai and half the time thinking to myself using Thai.

Occasionaly give Physics lectures in Thai (if undergraduates), English if PhD students. Can read Thai fairly well but never satisfied. Found something that has helped improve my reading speed significantly. Will often read the Thai subtitles for an English language movie. Went from being able to catch only the first one or two words to being able to finish most sentences. The added advantage is that while they are speaking English and I am reading the Thai I pick up new words. It's also fun to catch the translation errors when reading the sub-titles.

However my writing skills has a lot to be desired (mainly due to not memorizing the proper spelling, so I often spell phonetically).