Speed

Old Croc

Yesterday, while tootling up the bypass (maintaining 90-100), passing vehicles doing about 40kph, and being blasted off the road by others doing 100kph on top of that, it occured to me once again that I didn't have a clue what the speed limit is in Phuket, or indeed Thailand.

There were no signposts I could see on the side of the road, as they have in Australia to tell you how fast you can go before the monumental fines kick in, and I've no idea how it works here.

I've beeen driving continuously here for the past year, and on and off for 5 or 6 years before that.

Am I just blind and can't see signs, or stupid and unable to work it out? I asked my GF and she didn't seem to know what the limit is.

Are there limits on certain roads, or a blanket limit on highways, or a combination of both? Are there signs I should be reading, but just don't see?

I'm aware of my limitations and look forward to helpful advice, but will treat smart/a lectures, by the school teachers and their ilk who are prevelent here, with the usual distain. ;)

Bugger, probably wont get an answer. :unsure:

Even if there is a limit there is no thai on the road what would comply to that.

So you're saying there isn't any limits? :unsure:

Definately are limits...

City Limit and local road, from 60 km/h to 90 km/h

Highway ( 1-digit, 2x-digit, 3xx-digit ), 90 km/h

Expressway ( paid toll way ), peak hour 80 km/m, off peak 120 km/h

There are also signs around the place, but not very noticeable :annoyed:

Edited by brieno1955

To clarify my last para in my query, I've found a simple question brings out certain members who decide that the best way to answer a question like this is to talk down to people with less knowledge or experience of a subject.

I can't be bothered with those who want to talk to me like I'm six instead of sixty.

There are people here who would want to start their answer off by saying I should have learnt the rules before I first got behind the wheel.

They can't give a straight answer to a question without moralising or big noting themselves. I'm tired of them.

Definately are limits...

City Limit and local road, from 60 km/h to 90 km/h

Highway ( 1-digit, 2x-digit, 3xx-digit ), 90 km/h

Expressway ( paid toll way ), peak hour 80 km/m, off peak 120 km/h

There are also signs around the place, but not very noticeable :annoyed:

Thanks, not entirely clear with your answer, but perhaps that is as good as it gets. :D

Generally in towns and cities the speed limit for saloon cars/light vehicles is 60kph. When driving on highways the speed limit increases to either 90kph (single highway) or 120kph (dual highway). Lower limits for heavy vehicles.

Although these numbers are correct what do you consider the bypass road to be, a city road or a dual highway? My self imposed speed limit on that road is 90kph.

Old Croc, you really should get a Thai driving licence, it will only take one day of your time & is really handy to have if pulled over at a check point plus you will definitely learn what the speed limits & other rules are which are surprisingly similar to Aust. or NZ with the exception of Melbourne where they have that weird hook turn.

Although these numbers are correct what do you consider the bypass road to be, a city road or a dual highway? My self imposed speed limit on that road is 90kph.

Very good point, I was wondering that myself when I wrote that. I don't know, in theory it's a dual highway so I suppose it's 120 klicks, but it's a busy 'city' road so I think 90 klicks should be the rule.

Generally in towns and cities the speed limit for saloon cars/light vehicles is 60kph. When driving on highways the speed limit increases to either 90kph (single highway) or 120kph (dual highway). Lower limits for heavy vehicles.

Highways (roads with 1, 2 or 3 digits road numbers) are speed limited to 90 kmh, like the road from Toyota Bypass to Sarasin Bridge. When going through communities often warned by yellow signs "city limit", speed reduced to 60 kmh, as it is on local roads (4 digit or no number)

Expressways, +700 km away from Phuket, speed limit is 120 kmh, but can be reduced by signs to 80 kmh, often during rush hours

Speedchecks are usually set at +120 kmh even on Highways limited to 90 kmh

Entering every province, there is a large white sign stating speedlimits for each size of vehicle and road, In Phuket just after passing Sarasin Bridge

Speed limit signs are not very common in LOS, and severe speeding has a fine limit of 1.000 baht, 160 kmh on Highways usually qualifies for 200 baht fine.

Very good point, I was wondering that myself when I wrote that. I don't know, in theory it's a dual highway so I suppose it's 120 klicks, but it's a busy 'city' road so I think 90 klicks should be the rule.

Bypass road is not a Highway, it is a local road (has it even been issued a road number?), so by law speed limit would be 60 kmh.

But as only Highwaypolice conduct speed checks, and on Highways and Expressways only, Bypass is a race track :D :D

at least after midnight, just ask the biker kids :whistling:

Good answer KBB, I thought the speed sign board was at the border of each province as that's about the only place I see then. As far as I can remember the sign is not so clear about 120 kph only on 'Expressways'. I must have a look again next time I pass the sign.

Bypass road is not a Highway, it is a local road (has it even been issued a road number?), so by law speed limit would be 60 kmh.

But as only Highwaypolice conduct speed checks, and on Highways and Expressways only, Bypass is a race track :D :D

The top speed of your bike or car is clearly the speed limit at bypass road ;)

And the giving way to vehicles at a cross intersecdtion is A-about - if oncoming turning right and you are turning left, you have to give way to them (like it used to be in Vic [Oz] quite a few years ago).

There are speed limits here but no one obeys them.

When travelling on highways i drive at between 90/120KPH to keep up with the traffic

and stay in the centre lane as much as possible which is not wrecked by the trucks/heavy vehicles

When travelling in built up areas my speed varies between 50/70KPH :jap:

Old Croc, you really should get a Thai driving licence, it will only take one day of your time & is really handy to have if pulled over at a check point plus you will definitely learn what the speed limits & other rules are which are surprisingly similar to Aust. or NZ with the exception of Melbourne where they have that weird hook turn.

Thanks Valentine, I have the residence certificate, just have to get around to getting the medical form and finding a day to go to the MDL. :)

And the giving way to vehicles at a cross intersecdtion is A-about - if oncoming turning right and you are turning left, you have to give way to them (like it used to be in Vic [Oz] quite a few years ago).

Didn't realize that, it would explain a couple of incidents. :lol:

What I remember driving in Melb was, if turning right at a major intersection you had to pull in to the left, turn right and wait in front of the traffic going through for the lights to change before proceding across in the direction you wanted to go. (Did that make sense?) Something to do with the bloody trams I think. :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the answers. Speed limits appear like many things here, somewhat fluid. :) I'll look out for the signs and hwy codes that have been mentioned and pretty much continue with the status quo.

My days of racing, on and off the road, are long gone I'm quite happy pottering along with the traffic these days. And, as has been pointed out, fines are miniscule anyway. :D

how totally wrong I was

Bypass is marked with 402 as I could see today, making it a Highway and thus speed limit is 90 kmh

It's funny, I'd never thought about it until now. But I don't think I've ever checked my speedo once in all the years I've been driving here.

I just drive at the speed which is appropriate for the road, and traffic flow, regrdless weather it's over or under the speed limit.

The beauty of not having speed cameras every 2 miles I guess.

... And, as has been pointed out, fines are miniscule anyway. :D

I was was given an 'on the spot' fine of bt1900 (negotiated down from bt3000)for driving at 120kph on the express/tollway in BKK - would have been bt4000 with a 'sticker' on my license if I had gone through the proper channels.....

totster :D

I was was given an 'on the spot' fine of bt1900 (negotiated down from bt3000)for driving at 120kph on the express/tollway in BKK - would have been bt4000 with a 'sticker' on my license if I had gone through the proper channels.....

That amount of fine seems quite excessive for Thailand. Are you sure the fine was 'legit' and not just a policeman on the make. Quite a number of years ago I was caught in a speed trap (VASCAR radar) well over 120 and I was fined 500 baht with a genuine receipt at the police station.

That amount of fine seems quite excessive for Thailand. Are you sure the fine was 'legit' and not just a policeman on the make. Quite a number of years ago I was caught in a speed trap (VASCAR radar) well over 120 and I was fined 500 baht with a genuine receipt at the police station.

It is very excessive compared to the usual 100bt .. I have no doubt he was on the make.. it was 30th December.. and I had no desire to return to Bangkok two weeks later from Isaan to collect my license (apparently I couldn't pay it straight away as the 'sticker' had to be applied).. stitched up proper :rolleyes:

Ah well..

^Maybe he saw your av.

I also understand B500 to be the legitimate going rate. The 'surrendering licence for a stamp on it' bit is undoubtedly his extortion support tactic. You've been unfortunate to come across a particularly bad (greedy, ultra-corrupt) one. With any luck, he'll eventually come unstuck.

... And, as has been pointed out, fines are miniscule anyway. :D

Highway code/law limits speed fines to max 1.000 baht. If you have an official speeding ticket, one offense (speeding) only, you should complain.

paying cash to officer without proper reciept is another matter