The Cable Grill

JomtienEats

I was quite excited to see a new burger place in front of Jomtien Plaza Condotel on beach road. The area could really do with a decent burger joint and this place looked like it has investment with shiny signs, glossy leaflets and a clean kitchen. The exterior is modeled on a Cable Car, a nice effect and hence the name . . . evidently a chain or a franchise, but I still had hopes!

The reality was dire. I had wanted a cheese burger, but the sets allow for only a double cheese burger. I wasn't able to communicate my preference to the staff so eventually settled for the burger meal. The drink was a choice between Coke or Sprite. No diet drinks or other alternatives. Preparation was slow, and when it did arrive the Sprite was flat, the burger was thin and dry, tasting like cardboard, the fries were fine but of rather small number. Very disappointing.

Conclusion? It's well worth the time and effort to go to Just Burgers between 8th and 9th sois on Jomtien Beach Road instead - similar prices but much better quality burgers and choice. Here's the location.

http://www.pattayaplaces.com/map/Just_Burgers&zoom=15

I'd like to think it is because they don't know how to operate a business, but the more I think about it, the more I think they probably know exactly what they are doing. They've got a prominent location so I guess their business model is to ignore repeat business and word of mouth and focus on extracting the maximum profit from the transaction. A typical tourist business model in other words.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

The Cable Grill in Jomtien is worth a try- sometimes the help is a little slow and non attentive especially the manager but new help is usually ok- but hey its thailand so relax a little. The burgers are similar to Southern California's In-N-Out burgers in taste and the fries are not the cheap ones from Big C but nice a plump and a generous Coke. its is usually a good experience and the burgers are definitely better than Just Burgers - but try them both for yoru own taste.

I've lived here for 7 years and coming from So Cal do know my burgers. Another good burger is at the Aussie Bar end of soi 7 - if you tell them to hold off on the "butter" that they spread on the bun then it will be great too. enjoy

Isn't this post 1 year old now? If it was 200 baht per burger then I'm sure the price hasn't gone down any. Screw that, I can get a real burger off of soibukhao 100% Aussie beef or one of there nice Aussie beef buns for 120 baht and it's the real thing. Just across from Subway beside the 'Spaggetti" booth.

Isn't this post 1 year old now? If it was 200 baht per burger then I'm sure the price hasn't gone down any. Screw that, I can get a real burger off of soibukhao 100% Aussie beef or one of there nice Aussie beef buns for 120 baht and it's the real thing. Just across from Subway beside the 'Spaggetti" booth.

Are you sure that place actually uses imported Aussie beef? I see their branding but I never saw anything written claiming the meat wasn't Thai beef.

The Cable Grill in Jomtien is worth a try- sometimes the help is a little slow and non attentive especially the manager but new help is usually ok- but hey its thailand so relax a little. The burgers are similar to Southern California's In-N-Out burgers in taste and the fries are not the cheap ones from Big C but nice a plump and a generous Coke. its is usually a good experience and the burgers are definitely better than Just Burgers - but try them both for yoru own taste.

I've lived here for 7 years and coming from So Cal do know my burgers. Another good burger is at the Aussie Bar end of soi 7 - if you tell them to hold off on the "butter" that they spread on the bun then it will be great too. enjoy

Did you join today specifically to re-open 3 old threads???

Are you sure that place actually uses imported Aussie beef? I see their branding but I never saw anything written claiming the meat wasn't Thai beef.

Jing, I spoke with the owner their and he claimes that it is and I have eaten beef all over Thailand including Chok Chai farms and I would bet my baht that it is real. You jus't cant hide the taste of Thai beef burgers and the beef rolls/buns are very juicy as well with very authentic "back home" taste. No seating really unless you sit in the bar behind the stand or in the tiny chairs but definetly worth a try for a change.

People always assume that Aussie beef must be superior. In fact, in accordance with globalization, Aussie beef now comes in mediocre and poor quality versions

destined for the export market.

All the Aussie beef I've bought here has been superior. Where is your proof of what you say - you have references?

The problem when someone recommends some place on Soi Bukhao is that they're never precise enough about the location.

I tried to find it today via 'Subway' but could not find either, so...

- which end of Bukhao?

- which Soi @ Bukhao?

- east or west side?

Coming from southern California does not make you an expert in hamburgers any more than coming from Baghdad automatically makes a person an expert in suicide missions. In-N-Out make decent burgers for a fast food chain, but they're certainly not the yards stick by which all else should be measured.

I had the misfortune of ordering a burger from the Cable Grill in Jomtien a few months ago and it was absolute rubbish.

I like In-N-Out but would be quite surprised if the Cable shack place thing would compare.

Surprised? It would be a miracle to the likes of water to wine. Then should such a miracle occur...consider our waistlines and of course re-fitting of our clothing. Back to my latenite snack of geeow moo. Burp.

People always assume that Aussie beef must be superior. In fact, in accordance with globalization, Aussie beef now comes in mediocre and poor quality versions

All the Aussie beef I've bought here has been superior. Where is your proof of what you say - you have references?

I have certainly had Aussie beef in Thailand that was not very good. I think that he has a point.

I like In-N-Out but would be quite surprised if the Cable shack place thing would compare.

In-N-Out is OK for fast food burgers. It is a fast food joint. I prefer Fatburger. Even better is Fuddruckers. And better than all of these is a burger from a proper steakhouse. This article makes me drool! And my cardiologist cringe:

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/diningtravel/restaurants/burgers_intro

Here's one place he would probably not want me to visit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_Attack_Grill

• Like 2

The problem when someone recommends some place on Soi Bukhao is that they're never precise enough about the location.

- which end of Bukhao?

- which Soi @ Bukhao?

- east or west side?

Top of Soi Diana. The burgers are very good although when I asked the owner where the beef came from he said it was local....Australian "style" burgers, whatever that means.

In-N-Out is OK for fast food burgers. It is a fast food joint. I prefer Fatburger. Even better is Fuddruckers. And better than all of these is a burger from a proper steakhouse. This article makes me drool! And my cardiologist cringe:

http://www.epicuriou...s/burgers_intro

http://en.wikipedia....rt_Attack_Grill

Agreed, In-N-Out is fast food which is the same class theoretically as this ersatz San Franciscan place.

I have certainly had Aussie beef in Thailand that was not very good. I think that he has a point.

Well I haven't - it always tastes better than the Thai beef and I always buy top shelf Thai beef, but he's making a statement that they're exporting inferior beef now - something I'd like to see some evidence for.

Was the Aussie beef you had that "was not very good" ordered in a restaurant or purchased from a supermarket?

Edited by tropo

- which end of Bukhao?

- which Soi @ Bukhao?

- east or west side?

Top of Soi Diana. The burgers are very good although when I asked the owner where the beef came from he said it was local....Australian "style" burgers, whatever that means.

Of course it is local. If it was really imported, that claim would be prominent on their signage!

Well I haven't - it always tastes better than the Thai beef and I always buy top shelf Thai beef, but he's making a statement that they're exporting inferior beef now - something I'd like to see some evidence for.

Was the Aussie beef you had that "was not very good" ordered in a restaurant or purchased from a supermarket?

I don't eat that much beef because the stuff that is good is too expensive here.

I do remember being quite unimpressed by so-called Aussie beef in a pub in Bangkok a couple of years ago.

On the other hand I have had some good quality beef there too. But it stands to reason that

scams exist.

Perhaps it really wasn't Aussie beef. I can't prove my claims but next time I will collect incriminating evidence including a sample

in a doggy bag!

Still waiting to see Alberta beef here licklips.gif

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/diningtravel/restaurants/burgers_intro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_Attack_Grill

OMG I want to eat there. Drool!!!

I checked this 'Aussie' place out today, tried the cheeseburger w. Bacon and the beef roll, 385 baht total. The burger was OK, a little too much bun, and the beef patty was overly seasoned such that it could have been Thai beef or Kobe beef. Good if your in the area and have a craving but I'll stick with Burger King.

The roll was also OK but you can get tastier and cheaper hot rolls/subs just at the top of the Soi @ NY Pizza House 3rd road for only 99baht with cheese. I asked for cheese with the beef roll (hot beef & melted cheese!) and the girl said "no, no, no". Stick to restaurants that have 4 walls and less obvious hygiene issues than this cart on a corner.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...