Monthly Budget For Life In Bkk

strikingsunset

Proper apartments at good location in Bkk are expensive. If you can live in a small box of 45m2, then ok, 20000 should be sufficient. Otherwise count on 40-50000 a month. Yeah, same or more what you'd pay in your home country.

So you may end with 100k/month for everything, but add some extra cash for travelling and visits to your home country.

Thailand is NOT cheap if you need some standards.

Spot on. As anywhere else in the world, It's all relative to your desired standards.

Living on Sukhumvit for 3 years now and going back through my internet bank history, checking average monthly expenses, I'd say you'll be ok on a minimum of 60,000 THB a month when you've been here a while and you've settled in !

First off, Bangkok is not practical during the day if you're off the BTS / MRT grid. You'll be severely hampered in your ability to move around quickly during peak hours.

So a decent 1BR+ condo close to a BTS or MRT station is necessary imo and that's about 20,000 THB if you want to live on Sukhumvit.

I like to eat at normal restaurants like Ootoya, Piri Piri and occasionally a lunch at Aoi etc and do Starbucks regularly.

I spend a lot of time in malls like Emporium and shop my groceries etc at places like Gourmet Market (5th floor Emporium - has everything),

and I only go out 'partying' about 2-3 times a month these days - usual the mostly Thai venues around Thonglor, Ekkamai or RCA (speaking Thai helps here).

Clothes here are quite expensive, especially mid-range brand name clothing like Guess, AX and shirts off-the-rack like Meticulous -

which look good and all but it's ridiculous that they sometimes cost more here than back in Sweden :)

I thus spend around 60K++ a month and I'm able to save the rest, but I know I could easily spend around 100,000 THB a month - which I did my during first 12-18 months here.

Now - this whole thing about supporting your GF. It's all up to you and who you choose to date.

80% all the women I'm interested in here have their own condo, car etc, and there are A LOT of them out there !

If I'm dating someone I choose to pay for the lunches and dinners etc, but there's just no way I'd be giving out monthly allowances to my GF unless we're in a serious relationship - for some time already - and then only under very special circumstances !

Cheers.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is not cheap if you don't know where to hold back on your 'standards', I think. I'm not trying to create an argument, but I find the way some people throw their money around in this Country ridiculous.

So a decent 1BR+ condo close to a BTS or MRT station is necessary imo and that's about 20,000 THB if you want to live on Sukhumvit.

I like to eat at normal restaurants like Ootoya, Piri Piri and occasionally a lunch at Aoi etc and do Starbucks regularly.

I spend a lot of time in malls like Emporium and shop my groceries etc at places like Gourmet Market (5th floor Emporium - has everything),

and I only go out 'partying' about 2-3 times a month these days - usual the mostly Thai venues around Thonglor, Ekkamai or RCA (speaking Thai helps here).

Clothes here are quite expensive, especially mid-range brand name clothing like Guess, AX and shirts off-the-rack like Meticulous -

which look good and all but it's ridiculous that they sometimes cost more here than back in Sweden :)

This is a good idea of what to expect if you want your home life in Thailand. You've obviously carved a very decent lifestyle for yourself here and I'm envious of it in many ways. But you are living on the other side of life from someone who wants to come here and save money and travel around, I feel. I've seen a lot of condos along Sukhumvit that I've been curious to see the inside of, but you could get a very nice place off of Sukhumvit and only a short ride from a BTS station for less than half the money you're suggesting. As another poster pointed out, he's paying 7,500 for his condo near BTS On Nut, and it's nice and quiet being off the main road. Mine is the same, although my apartment is tiny, admittedly - but I do pay a lot less for it and it provides all the comfort I need. Emporium is a ridiculously expensive but admittedly very nice haven for western families and couples, as well as expats with money to throw around. The 'normal' restaurants you mentioned are far from normal in my view of Thailand, and for me sit somewhere in the middle of cheap and expensive. Starbucks needs no comment - if it's somewhere you go 'regularly' then you need that money to spend. If you want to buy clothes, go to night markets and the street markets outside the shopping malls - who wants to pay 1000 baht for a 'brand' when you can get the same clothes (i.e. same material/look) outside for a fifth of the price?

This is all just my opinion and for those of you that have the money I don't look upon your spending as anything other than exactly how I would live if I moved here with a better job - but to someone new coming over I can honestly say that life here can be very cheap, you just need to lower your 'standards' a little and be a bit more realistic.

Edited by DavidSL

Thailand is not cheap if you don't know where to hold back on your 'standards', I think. I'm not trying to create an argument, but I find the way some people throw their money around in this Country ridiculous.

This is a good idea of what to expect if you want your home life in Thailand. You've obviously carved a very decent lifestyle for yourself here and I'm envious of it in many ways. But you are living on the other side of life from someone who wants to come here and save money and travel around, I feel. I've seen a lot of condos along Sukhumvit that I've been curious to see the inside of, but you could get a very nice place off of Sukhumvit and only a short ride from a BTS station for less than half the money you're suggesting. As another poster pointed out, he's paying 7,500 for his condo near BTS On Nut, and it's nice and quiet being off the main road. Mine is the same, although my apartment is tiny, admittedly - but I do pay a lot less for it and it provides all the comfort I need. Emporium is a ridiculously expensive but admittedly very nice haven for western families and couples, as well as expats with money to throw around. The 'normal' restaurants you mentioned are far from normal in my view of Thailand, and for me sit somewhere in the middle of cheap and expensive. Starbucks needs no comment - if it's somewhere you go 'regularly' then you need that money to spend. If you want to buy clothes, go to night markets and the street markets outside the shopping malls - who wants to pay 1000 baht for a 'brand' when you can get the same clothes (i.e. same material/look) outside for a fifth of the price?

This is all just my opinion and for those of you that have the money I don't look upon your spending as anything other than exactly how I would live if I moved here with a better job - but to someone new coming over I can honestly say that life here can be very cheap, you just need to lower your 'standards' a little and be a bit more realistic.

Hi,

I am the OP.

Having lived in Bangkok for maybe 6 months ( over several years) I have seen many aspects and levels of expat life ,last time I was in BKK I tried to live on 40,000 baht/month,though my hotel was 20,000 of that.

I found it difficult to have a decent life on 20,000 baht for everything else.I feel having read these posts with great interest, and thanks all,I will be looking for an apartment up to 12000 month with overall budget of 50,000 month,based on me not supporting a g/f which I am not comfortable with anyway.Regarding a g/f all the advice I am getting is to " take my time".Regards

Edited by strikingsunset

Proper apartments at good location in Bkk are expensive. If you can live in a small box of 45m2, then ok, 20000 should be sufficient. Otherwise count on 40-50000 a month. Yeah, same or more what you'd pay in your home country.

So you may end with 100k/month for everything, but add some extra cash for travelling and visits to your home country.

Spot on. As anywhere else in the world, It's all relative to your desired standards.

Living on Sukhumvit for 3 years now and going back through my internet bank history, checking average monthly expenses, I'd say you'll be ok on a minimum of 60,000 THB a month when you've been here a while and you've settled in !

First off, Bangkok is not practical during the day if you're off the BTS / MRT grid. You'll be severely hampered in your ability to move around quickly during peak hours.

I thus spend around 60K++ a month and I'm able to save the rest, but I know I could easily spend around 100,000 THB a month - which I did my during first 12-18 months here.

Now - this whole thing about supporting your GF. It's all up to you and who you choose to date.

80% all the women I'm interested in here have their own condo, car etc, and there are A LOT of them out there !

If I'm dating someone I choose to pay for the lunches and dinners etc, but there's just no way I'd be giving out monthly allowances to my GF unless we're in a serious relationship - for some time already - and then only under very special circumstances !

Cheers.

Hi,

I am the OP for this posting,really interesting to read your thoughts,am I right in thinking your initial spending at 100k/baht month was due to " one off costs,furniture for example?.

Plus please can you give me a "steer" on how I can "access" all these womem with condo,s and cars,please pm me if you want so the word is not spread to widely,Thanks

Hi,

I am the OP.

Having lived in Bangkok for maybe 6 months ( over several years) I have seen many aspects and levels of expat life ,last time I was in BKK I tried to live on 40,000 baht/month,though my hotel was 20,000 of that.

I found it difficult to have a decent life on 20,000 baht for everything else.I feel having read these posts with great interest, and thanks all,I will be looking for an apartment up to 12000 month with overall budget of 50,000 month,based on me not supporting a g/f which I am not comfortable with anyway.Regarding a g/f all the advice I am getting is to " take my time".Regards

Sounds like a good plan, and you've already got some experience so know what you want out of life here. Like I say, my budget is based on things like already having a girlfriend with a car, which definitely saves me a LOT of money, and not going out drinking or clubbing, which again, saves a lot. I could obviously do with extra cash, but for my lifestyle I get by just fine on around 15k for general living. But if I were single I would be looking for the same things - a nicer place to live (somewhere where I'm comfortable and happy on my own - not one room where I'd feel shut in) and a more social lifestyle. I'd say your budget suits these needs, for sure.

Meh, bored so i'll throw my 2 cents into this thread for people reading this thinking they need to spend 100k bahts to live in bangkok. you can EASILY live in bangkok for say 15k baht a month if you wanted to and still have good standards of everything. Find an apartment for 10k baht including utilities etc, and leave rest for food. leaving you like 170 baht a day for food. Which can cover 3 meals out a day at some non westernized street restaurant, or either 3 precooked meals a day(e.g microwave heat them up or whatever), or cooking your own meals. (Small sidenote the cheap food in the street restaurants is often just as good or better than most of the 150-200 baht per meal places for 'tourists') Can spend both more and less, but If I wanted to live in a 1 room apartment and have 3 meals a day which I enjoyed, also having electricity\water\internet\aircon covered, I would probably set the price to be around 15k.

That being said, this is what you need to survive and still have decent standards of everything, leaving no money for transportation, or spending on any sort of entertainment. Any money beyond this comes down to yourself 100%, if you go out every night bingedrinking, take taxis everywhere, splurge 1k baht a day on food every day and pay for 13 different girls to hang out with you then obviously you need to pay more. You can easily go out\have an active life and not have it cost you much at all though.

As a small sidenote most people should not have to pay girls to hang out with them, there are a lot of single thai girls, who are able to support themselves, and who do not need you to give her allowance. And unless you are 75 years old, 400 pounds, and have absolutely no social skills whatsoever, finding someone like this should not be a problem. Anyone can get a girlfriend in the western world, but this is about 8 times more true in Thailand for a westerner (And by Girlfriend I do not mean long term prostitute, I mean girlfriend =p). If you are looking for your girlfriend in a gogo bar, and you are expecting to have to pay her an allownace though, then you are going to end up doing so.

Paying just for sex is somewhat of different matter as I can see why someone who has money would want to pay just to avoid all hassle of unmet expectations or any other girlfriend like issues. Though its not like it is hard to get free sex either but whatevs.

Hi

Most of the info you need is above, I have lived here in Thailand many years. I have a Condo and a House in Bangkok and Hua Hin, I live well.

If you leave the beer alone then your costs will be under control, get something to take up your time.

Leave the prostitutes/BG's alone as much as you can, the more you partake the costlier it will be, I was in Soi Cowboy lastnight, not many customer's,<snip>

Deciding where you live is crucial, its all about quality of life, I know people that have apartments for 4 to 10k a month, shitholes, the further out you live the cheaper, get a nice pad 20 to 30k, the rest you can econimise on with the BTS and MRT. You already have a hobby (running) so this will take up your time.

Use Thailand, do not let Thaialnd use you. Stay away from the bars and you will be OK, unfortunately most of the Ex Pats cannot, thats why they are here. :lol:

Edited by soundman
Removed specifics regarding prostitution.

• 2 weeks later...

The girlfriend is the real unknown in your budget. My longtime girlfriend, officially, gets 30000 baht per month. But it's the extras that can really add up. Overall her extras can be anywhere from an extra 20 - 40000 per month. Like most Thai girls, she is supporting mama and papa, and to a lesser extent the rest of the family in Udon. So when something happens (mama/papa sick and needs to go to the hospital) the extras kick in.

I know many working girls, and I doubt many of them would quit their night jobs for much less than 25000 a month. In fact I just had this conversation two days ago with a girl I have known a long time. She had a man who wanted to take care of her, but would only offer 20000. She turned him down. Not enough.

That's not to say you cannot find women for less. You can, but most likely not in the bars.

laugh.gif you have no pride or dignity,thats 4 sure!

I live here for 5 years and never had to pay a single baht for a girlfriend!

If you pay money to a girl than its not your girlfriend,its a prositute and you are customer!

so please,keep it real!

Bully for you. Neither has my friend but then he is gaylaugh.gif

Lotta people would find your post very offensive as in case you haven't noticed a lot of Thai girls are unemployed or work for peanuts, have a farang boyfriend they never met in a bar.

They subsidises them in the same way any man would subsidise his farang wife and it doesn't make them hookers. Unless of course in your mind all women are hookers.

100,000 baht per month

I agree with 100,000 min, and i would think you need to give about 20000 to 30000 for GF supportsince she probably has family to support.

i go out most nights getting pissed in the clubs here and travel around alot etc i dont hold back and i dont really have a budget but i dont spend 100,000 a month.. looks like a gf takes alot of the money the girls i go with normally pay there way not being tight as i offer.. single is best way in thailand!!!

100,000 a month could get you 2-4 months easy.. just dont get scammed up to you how much you want to spend the 85k would be plenty enough..

and gf support i would say yea if you have had a long relationship then give her some money but dont fall into a trap its your call at the end of the day but we all now what happens the typical thai love story.. guy pays for girl and family then get scammed..

hope you enjoy living in bangkok i love it!!

The girlfriend is the real unknown in your budget. My longtime girlfriend, officially, gets 30000 baht per month. But it's the extras that can really add up. Overall her extras can be anywhere from an extra 20 - 40000 per month. Like most Thai girls, she is supporting mama and papa, and to a lesser extent the rest of the family in Udon. So when something happens (mama/papa sick and needs to go to the hospital) the extras kick in.

I know many working girls, and I doubt many of them would quit their night jobs for much less than 25000 a month. In fact I just had this conversation two days ago with a girl I have known a long time. She had a man who wanted to take care of her, but would only offer 20000. She turned him down. Not enough.

That's not to say you cannot find women for less. You can, but most likely not in the bars.

laugh.gif you have no pride or dignity,thats 4 sure!

I live here for 5 years and never had to pay a single baht for a girlfriend!

If you pay money to a girl than its not your girlfriend,its a prositute and you are customer!

so please,keep it real!

yea true haha

100,000 baht per month

I agree with 100,000 min, and i would think you need to give about 20000 to 30000 for GF supportsince she probably has family to support.

first its not a girlfriend.

second if op is trying not to get in trouble like he has presviously, he should not have this even in his budget.

living in bangkok can be as cheap or as expensive as you need it to be... pretty simple..15k to 250k++ per month just depends on you lifestyle and who you socialize with... are you comfortable giving up your creature comforts... or do you want to live better than you would be able to afford in the west, 100k is good to live a nice middle class standard, your not gonna be out living like a king.. but a few nice dinners here and there a few trips out of town.. decent housing. It really depends on what you can live with or with out..

What a load of bullshit this is.

I know lots of places where you can get 2br places for under 20,000baht. You don't need to spend a fortune to get nice digs in Bangkok.

Some of you guys have no idea at all.

Ok to Octavion;

You need to read his opening post and his responses so you see that he is not looking for the bare minimum to survive.

It is possible to survive on 15k a month; but be real about who does it. Normal Thais can do it yes because they have lived here all their lives and they are accustomed to living prudently (those who choose to). They know the best ways to save money from experience.

Some foreigners (such as mr DavidSl apparently)may also be able to do it either because they have lived here for some time and have also acquired the knowledge of how to scrimp and save, or they are in a situation that allows them to survive on 15k; they may have a gf that takes care of many of their expenses (like mr David).

But I think it is irresponsible to tell the OP that it is EASY for a foreigner who just moved to BKK to live on 15k. For most, it is not.

Most people will need some comfort food a couple of times per week as eating rice dish and noodle dishes can get redundant. There are so many little expenses that I am not going to list now that often push budgets beyond what they had originally expected.

I think a budget of 30-40k per month is much more realistic for the OP if he is looking for a fairly budgeted lifestyle. 60-80k for a comfortable life with entertainment and western food fairly often.

Everyones situation is different, but I have had many friends who moved here and completely underestimated their expenses.

Ok to Octavion;

You need to read his opening post and his responses so you see that he is not looking for the bare minimum to survive.

It is possible to survive on 15k a month; but be real about who does it. Normal Thais can do it yes because they have lived here all their lives and they are accustomed to living prudently (those who choose to). They know the best ways to save money from experience.

Some foreigners (such as mr DavidSl apparently)may also be able to do it either because they have lived here for some time and have also acquired the knowledge of how to scrimp and save, or they are in a situation that allows them to survive on 15k; they may have a gf that takes care of many of their expenses (like mr David).

But I think it is irresponsible to tell the OP that it is EASY for a foreigner who just moved to BKK to live on 15k. For most, it is not.

Most people will need some comfort food a couple of times per week as eating rice dish and noodle dishes can get redundant. There are so many little expenses that I am not going to list now that often push budgets beyond what they had originally expected.

I think a budget of 30-40k per month is much more realistic for the OP if he is looking for a fairly budgeted lifestyle. 60-80k for a comfortable life with entertainment and western food fairly often.

Everyones situation is different, but I have had many friends who moved here and completely underestimated their expenses.

I think that is a well balanced opinion. If it was set as a challenge to win a bet or something, you could live on 15k...for a month or so...but it would take great effort and would not be that much fun...yes you could get a crappy room for 2500 Bht, then 100 baht per day for food, staying in the area you live without traveling too much, unless by bus and skytrain, with the odd taxi.

30-40k, would allow a room at 8-9k, you could go out maybe 7 times in the month drinking/pubs/clubs etc, and eat out, and afford some treats over the month, like Western food, Chitlom food courts, Siam Paragon etc etc....but I still think 30-40K is still the lower end of the beginning of a comfortable lifestyle...For example say you were going on a date or taking your GF to the cinema one night, you might get a motorbike taxi to the skytrain for 30 baht, get the sky train to Siam 80 baht for both of you, then 200 Baht for cinema tickets, then some chocolate, crisps say, drinks, another 150 baht, then once the movie is finished you might go eat at a Thai place, say 200 baht for a couple of dishes, then a taxi home say, 100 baht

That would be a cost of 760 baht for maybe an 8 hour period. Do that once a week and over the month just for one night at the cinema with no bells and whistles would be over 3000 baht.If you add a couple of alcoholic drinks into the mix then that will be higher. Thats 760 Bht for one evening...what about the rest of the day before that evening...I think what Kblaze means by all the little costs is all the repetitive things you do each day, 20 baht here, 100 BHT there which people do not take into account.

You will easily spend a 500-1000 BHT a day without really noticing, with all the small costs...even spending 500 BHT a day without rent and utilities, is 15,000 baht....one night at the cinema will cost much more than 500 BHT.,..

You need at least 50-70 BHT a month to be in the middle range of comfortable...ie, going out 2-3 times a week, pubs/clubs, restaurants, being able to go outside bangkok, perhaps Samet, Ko Chang, Samui a couple of times a month, having a condo with a pool, fitness, some mod cons so that you can spend good quality time in your room, ie, DVD, good TV, laptop.

Ok to Octavion;

Good post, and my living on 15k a month comes from not sharing a lot of the habits of others here; mainly not drinking, not really being into the clubbing scene and preferring to enjoy my time travelling on day trips to places like Chonburi or seeing places Thai people like to visit (having a Thai girlfriend makes this a lot easier, of course). However, my girlfriend does not take care of my expenses, and anything we share we pay for 50/50. She does have a car, and that lets us get around a lot more than would be possible with my budget and taxis. But I'm certainly not a 'kept man' - I get looked after being that she is Thai and all, but financially we are pretty independent of each other.

That said, you're right about a newcomer underestimating their budget here. Without my girlfriend I would easily spend more than I am now, and so your budget is a good one. The point I was trying to make in my other posts is that Bangkok is as cheap or expensive as you make it. People who say you 'need' 100k a month (as a single guy) have very little idea how to budget, I would expect. It's not really a good idea to take advice from people like that, as they don't really have any sense of saving and I would definitely advise keeping money saved here, if even just to treat yourself to something simple every now and then.

I do agree with Metapod, though, on the topic of apartments. People describing 'sh*tholes' for under 4000 baht are, I suspect, not aware of any places like that at all. I was lucky enough to be guided to my current condo by friends who rented here for some time. Yes, it's just one room, but it has everything I need and barely eats into my wage each month. Of course I would love a bigger place, but I'm not going to waste money on things I don't need if I'm happy. That's what it comes down to, being happy here. If you can afford a nice place, and I mean genuinely afford it without worry, then go for it. I can't, so don't. I've never been more relaxed than in Thailand, and I think that accounts for my ability to put up with somewhere a bit smaller than I'd like.

I think that is a well balanced opinion. If it was set as a challenge to win a bet or something, you could live on 15k...for a month or so...but it would take great effort and would not be that much fun...yes you could get a crappy room for 2500 Bht, then 100 baht per day for food, staying in the area you live without traveling too much, unless by bus and skytrain, with the odd taxi.

It depends on what you consider 'fun', I suppose? If you consider going to the beach every weekend fun, then yes, it would be tough to do. If you can't handle life without a few beers every night, then again, it would be tough. If you hang around areas where a lot of other expats are every day, then it would be tough, as well. But try to look at it from the point of view of someone with a girlfriend who is working here in Thailand, and not here for the backpacker life.

The reason I don't spend much is because I eat at 'regular' places, and I take song tows and taxi bikes to work. I buy shopping at the weekend to make my own lunches, and on weekends we go out to various places around Bangkok and on the occasional day trips further afield. When we have a few days off, we'll book a trip to Samet or somewhere similar, stay in a nice room and have a great time doing what we like doing. Like I've said before, not drinking certainly affects the budget - although I doubt this is the worry of many expats. Plus, not paying for a girlfriend's upkeep is another bonus, and that's what you get for going out with a regular down-to-earth Thai girl (which, believe it or not exist!).

I'm sure your comment wasn't a dig at me, and I certainly am not taking it that way, and I'm not living on 15,000 baht a month as a strict rule, it just happens to be around the amount I might spend on a normal working month. It's not hard, and like I've mentioned previously, it's a very relaxed and calm life I lead here. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's mine, and I enjoy it!

It depends on what you consider 'fun', I suppose? If you consider going to the beach every weekend fun, then yes, it would be tough to do. If you can't handle life without a few beers every night, then again, it would be tough. If you hang around areas where a lot of other expats are every day, then it would be tough, as well. But try to look at it from the point of view of someone with a girlfriend who is working here in Thailand, and not here for the backpacker life.

The reason I don't spend much is because I eat at 'regular' places, and I take song tows and taxi bikes to work. I buy shopping at the weekend to make my own lunches, and on weekends we go out to various places around Bangkok and on the occasional day trips further afield. When we have a few days off, we'll book a trip to Samet or somewhere similar, stay in a nice room and have a great time doing what we like doing. Like I've said before, not drinking certainly affects the budget - although I doubt this is the worry of many expats. Plus, not paying for a girlfriend's upkeep is another bonus, and that's what you get for going out with a regular down-to-earth Thai girl (which, believe it or not exist!).

I'm sure your comment wasn't a dig at me, and I certainly am not taking it that way, and I'm not living on 15,000 baht a month as a strict rule, it just happens to be around the amount I might spend on a normal working month. It's not hard, and like I've mentioned previously, it's a very relaxed and calm life I lead here. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's mine, and I enjoy it!

Hi David, just read my post, and I could see how you could have taken offense and how it might have been aimed at you, with emotive words like "crappy room", doing it" for a bet" and "no fun"...It certainly wasn't aimed at you and I commend you for being rational and not taking offense. I have read your posts, on the don't take the kids to a restaurant and on other parts of the forum and on here and you seem like a "live and let live kind of guy" :)

Its quite interesting drawing some parallels between your situation. I first came here when I was 22, I m still the right side of 30, and not actually in Bangkok at this moment, but will be coming back before long. When I was first here I stayed in a room at Sukhumvit Onnut, costing 2300 BHT, and stayed with my gf at the time who also happened to drive her own car. I lived on very little like yourself but really loved it and enjoyed it. We ate the street food and that, and had a good time in general, and got away sometimes also, and went out too. All in all quite similar to yourself I would imagine...

And fun of course is subjective. I was happy staying in my cheap room, with a fan as long as I had books and my guitar and that.I would imagine now having a Kindle and a laptop, Ipods etc it would be even easier to stay in a room. All I really need is books, a laptop, a guitar...I was perfectly content doing it in that room. I m not a big TVision person anyway. Over time though my financial situation improved and I then stayed in an apartment that had the usual sauna, fitness, swimming pools near Srinakharin Road for about 15,000 Baht a month....and in more recent times in Bangkok have been in a position to rent a condo on Sukhumvit 24, which is a nice area.

However, what I would say, and it is interesting that your level of happiness is not necessarily automatically better if you stay in a condo at 50,000 baht per month or 2300 baht per month. I think happiness is an inner state of mind, which will travel through any set of condo doors regardless of how many bedrooms it has and how nice the furniture is. Judging from the moaning and negativity you see on this site from a lot of people and in life in general, it would not matter if they had a penthouse condo with a private pool, they'd still be unhappy, best thing is to block out any negatives. I have been working really hard in recent years and will be able to work from just my laptop anywhere, and I will probably get a half decent rental when I m back...however, I think the more important thing is enjoy life in a spirit of renunciation and see things for what they are...they are only material things at the end of the day and I do not see any point in getting attached to things as the be all and end all, as they are only transitory anyway. I know a fairly wealthy guy who lives in India part of the year, he was involved in music industry and something he said struck me when I was younger and traveling in India. He said he does not care if he is sleeping on the beech in a hammock one night and the next night staying in the Taj Mahal in Mumbai...its the people you are with that count. I think that is so true.

I only want money now to give freedom to do what I want when I want without having to speak to a boss or that, and to give me time for music, reading, sport, travel, start new hobbies, spending time with people, family, going out sometimes. Its not just to have money at an end in itself. In the end it all comes down to what you want, and we can all make goals and go for it if we want. If you want to stay in a decent place fine, if not thats still fine, because as I said above, if your happy you will take that into any condo, hotel, and into all walks of life without external dependencies. Judging from your posts you seem a well balanced happy person, and has some focus and goals for the future, and I m sure you ll get on well regardless.

Good Luck.

Edited by RedFxTrade

Ok to Octavion;

Hi,I agree with you,my opening post was not to establish the minimum I could survive on,but a budget I could work to for a " 3 Star" lifestyle.

With the wisdom from all the responses and my personal experience of BKK I have come to a 50k/baht per month budget with a further contingency of 10k/baht month If I have to support a g/f which I am really hoping is a road I do not have to go down ( the support not the g/f!) regards,OP

Meh, bored so i'll throw my 2 cents into this thread for people reading this thinking they need to spend 100k bahts to live in bangkok. you can EASILY live in bangkok for say 15k baht a month if you wanted to and still have good standards of everything. Find an apartment for 10k baht including utilities etc, and leave rest for food. leaving you like 170 baht a day for food. Which can cover 3 meals out a day at some non westernized street restaurant, or either 3 precooked meals a day(e.g microwave heat them up or whatever), or cooking your own meals. (Small sidenote the cheap food in the street restaurants is often just as good or better than most of the 150-200 baht per meal places for 'tourists') Can spend both more and less, but If I wanted to live in a 1 room apartment and have 3 meals a day which I enjoyed, also having electricity\water\internet\aircon covered, I would probably set the price to be around 15k.

That being said, this is what you need to survive and still have decent standards of everything, leaving no money for transportation, or spending on any sort of entertainment. Any money beyond this comes down to yourself 100%, if you go out every night bingedrinking, take taxis everywhere, splurge 1k baht a day on food every day and pay for 13 different girls to hang out with you then obviously you need to pay more. You can easily go out\have an active life and not have it cost you much at all though.

As a small sidenote most people should not have to pay girls to hang out with them, there are a lot of single thai girls, who are able to support themselves, and who do not need you to give her allowance. And unless you are 75 years old, 400 pounds, and have absolutely no social skills whatsoever, finding someone like this should not be a problem. Anyone can get a girlfriend in the western world, but this is about 8 times more true in Thailand for a westerner (And by Girlfriend I do not mean long term prostitute, I mean girlfriend =p). If you are looking for your girlfriend in a gogo bar, and you are expecting to have to pay her an allownace though, then you are going to end up doing so.

Paying just for sex is somewhat of different matter as I can see why someone who has money would want to pay just to avoid all hassle of unmet expectations or any other girlfriend like issues. Though its not like it is hard to get free sex either but whatevs.

How are going to pay any hostpital bills and visa trips on 15K a month?

10,000 bt on a decent condo. That will get you wi-fi and cable tv ( that makes staying in easier!) 1000bt a day budget =30,000bt.

Unless you are drinking or going out every night you should have change from your daily budget which you can then add to your weekend allowance.

40,000 will give you a decent lifestyle but I can understand how people can spend double. If you can afford to spend more, why not!

Depends very much on your age and life style back home.

When younger, I lived in a studio apt and was happy. It had running water and heating in winter.

Now, a few decades later, I wouldn't think a second to repeat such life. I need space and comfort. 20k for a 2br in Bkk near bts/mrt? I have seen these crappy places - why should I consider to stay there when my life back home was much better?

Hi David, just read my post, and I could see how you could have taken offense and how it might have been aimed at you, with emotive words like "crappy room", doing it" for a bet" and "no fun"...It certainly wasn't aimed at you and I commend you for being rational and not taking offense. I have read your posts, on the don't take the kids to a restaurant and on other parts of the forum and on here and you seem like a "live and let live kind of guy" :)

Hey Red, no problem, I really didn't take it as a personal dig, I just wanted to 'fight my corner', so to speak. :)

Your situation certainly parallels my own, though I'm 28 (turning 29 this year) and I'll admit that this one-room lifestyle is going to get a bit old soon. The thing is, I am happy here, and it's a nice quiet area, despite being just off a main road and almost next to the BTS. In that sense, it's the perfect place to be, far enough from the city, but with a lot of good places to eat nearby.

I agree with you about the money situation - it's certainly something I'm aiming for as well. I'm not hugely materialistic, but I'm as guilty as anyone else over wanting nice new possessions. However, having money to live as you like in Thailand is certainly something to be wished for - you can really make a great life for yourself here. But like you said, it's all about who you're with, rather than where you are.

Good post, and thanks for responding - though I certainly didn't take offence. :)

Depends very much on your age and life style back home.

When younger, I lived in a studio apt and was happy. It had running water and heating in winter.

Now, a few decades later, I wouldn't think a second to repeat such life. I need space and comfort. 20k for a 2br in Bkk near bts/mrt? I have seen these crappy places - why should I consider to stay there when my life back home was much better?

But you clearly haven't. You may have seen a few 'crappy' places (though I'm inclined to believe you probably didn't look at one with this attitude), but there are plenty of nice places around BKK. To make such a sweeping statement about condos in Bangkok is a little short-sighted. I understand you may have had a great life back home, and have the money to spend here, but that doesn't mean places below your own budget are 'crappy'.

10,000 bt on a decent condo. That will get you wi-fi and cable tv ( that makes staying in easier!) 1000bt a day budget =30,000bt.

Unless you are drinking or going out every night you should have change from your daily budget which you can then add to your weekend allowance.

40,000 will give you a decent lifestyle but I can understand how people can spend double. If you can afford to spend more, why not!

Hi,

Thanks for your post,I would really appreciate if you could give me some pointers on how and where to get a decent condo for 10,0000 baht/month.

Kind Regards,

OP

ps,I do pick up personal messages..

Wow ... how could anybody "love Bangkok"? Good thing we are all different. I live in a Provincial Capital City about 3 hours from Bkk. Rent a 3 story house with roof deck garden for 6k. Buy what I want, when I want and support the Thai family which I did meet here. Everything you have in Bkk , I have here except the pollution, crime, traffic and madness. My average monthly budget for the last 3 years has been 30-35k baht. And I do live very well.

When I say I love Bangkok,I agree it is mad also.Just think I need to learn Thai first ( I know I can learn this almost anywhere) and once I have grasped some of it then review where I live.

So in the short term I think I would be more comfortable where there are a level of English Speakers around.

I love Bangers

If you look in the Thaivisa classifieds section you will find many condos in the price range 8-11000 baht. Around 30-40 sqm . With kitchen. More than good enough for a westerner to live in.

So with a budget of around 25-30k its no problem really if you are single.

I have a great flat 30/33sqm (I forget) - B4250. AC, hot H2O, outside sink, big toilet (too big), full sliding door AND another sliding window, lift, security, broadband (b500). CLEAN and QUIET. Also cool, as in not hot**

GREAT location. 10 min from MRT, near all the hooker palaces if I wasn't promised, walk to Carrefour. MRT/walk to Tesco and Fortune IT. One MRT direct to Chatchuk, Askoe, Hualampong and Pohan Yotin (hottie shopping center).

My needs are simple. It's good enough for both of us. More money for travel.

Basic costs for a guy living on tourist visa and eating local in BKK is B17.5K. My girlfriend costs me almost nothing, a trip every six weeks. We even split the cost of the flat.

You have to decide places which you want to live and then just go looking. Internet is almost a total waste of time (98%)*****

Don't bother with all the jokers on TV putting up ads for flats. They are making big money of your inability to negotiate a flat. Its easy!!

Don't worry about women not looking at you in BKK. What you need to do is find an interest that you would share in common and go do that. TRAVEL you will meet loads of great women!

Look the best you can and that does not discount wearing shorts. Collar shirt or some hip T, nice shorts, sandals not flip-flops. All Thai women don't like fat guys, so lose the weight if you have any immediately.

Edited by bangkokburning