Want To Work From Thailand - Need Help!

I know there is threads about this but its hard to relate to my current situation and I was hoping to get answers custom for me.

Currently, I am living in the USA and working on computers for a company. This same company sometimes lets me work from home (freelance). My overall goal is to spend atleast 6 monthes in Thailand working very minimally for this company in the USA. I will probobly freelance a job or 2 a week and gross about $3000/month. This is more than enough for me to live in thailand.

I am not 100% familiar with international laws but it seems trying to work from thailand gets complicated. What is the most cost efficient, legal way for me to live and do this type of work ini thailand without having employees? Is it easiest to start my own company and go to thailand or should I have this company write me a letter just so I can work there?

I'd prefer to get a few different answers, hopefully from someone that has done this/currently doing this. As of right now I only plan on staying about 6 monthes tops unless I find that the lifestyle is for me. What is my tax situation looking like? Do I pay USA and Thialand in this situation? Keep in mind, i have read the rules but I would hate to be breaking the law because I confused my situation with someone elses. Thank you for your time, I await your responses!

Poll removed as serves no purpose. As said it likely can not be done legally for a short period without spending more than it is worth. You can not work in Thailand without a work permit and that is Thai law not international. And you would continue to be subject to US tax laws.

Those doing keep a low profile and hope for the best - likely will not be caught if activity not illegal in other ways or becomes known the the wrong people. But is always a risk. There is just no provision for such work here.

You need a work permit even if working online.

I would think a little more on 3k being enough to live in Thailand considering everything involved! Where you live and if you get a thai gf......now if the latter is involved you better at least double or triple that amount. Bkk is not as cheap as it once was even 2-4 years ago....I lived average in Los in the north and the sounth in Bkk. Norh(CM)t is cheaper and better in my opinion but even there you can expect to pay 300US for a decent condo or apartment plus the extra overcharges....more than a thai can live.......my experience....you need 100k to live confortable enough but still not as good as your own country....

You need a work permit even if working online.

I would think a little more on 3k being enough to live in Thailand considering everything involved! Where you live and if you get a thai gf......now if the latter is involved you better at least double or triple that amount. Bkk is not as cheap as it once was even 2-4 years ago....I lived average in Los in the north and the sounth in Bkk. Norh(CM)t is cheaper and better in my opinion but even there you can expect to pay 300US for a decent condo or apartment plus the extra overcharges....more than a thai can live.......my experience....you need 100k to live confortable enough but still not as good as your own country....

I agree that it is more expensive, but $3000 are definitely enough, how do you spend more than this? Take lady everyday? Or have mia noi and mia luang + kids at school?

I'm looking more for an answer on Which route would be the cheapest to make this possible. Which Visa is the right way to go and any other advice that would be helpful to my work situation.

I guess I just don't understand the best way to go about doing this. YES I GET THAT I NEED A WORK PERMIT (WOW go figure). Am I better off getting one saying I own my own business or am I better off asking my current company to get involved somehow in my visa process. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking more for an answer on Which route would be the cheapest to make this possible. Which Visa is the right way to go and any other advice that would be helpful to my work situation.

I guess I just don't understand the best way to go about doing this. YES I GET THAT I NEED A WORK PERMIT (WOW go figure). Am I better off getting one saying I own my own business or am I better off asking my current company to get involved somehow in my visa process. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fully legal route...

1. Set up a THB 2.0 mill Thai ltd company employ 4 Thai's and WP is yours (FYI you can't just say you own the business you need need to prove it)

2. Work for a Thai Ltd company who will sponser your WP

3. If current company does not have a presence in Thailand via a Thai Ltd Company.....no can do for WP.....See 1.....this is what they would need to do

PS...no such thing as a Work visa and if no presence in Thai via Thai ltd company, you current company has no influence/bearing on being issued a visa ( Non-imm B)

There is no "cheap way" to legally gain a WP per se

To sumerise....there are tow bits of paper you need to be fully legal....Namely Non-imm B visa (or possibly and "O" is married to Thai national) and a work permit

Trust this helps

A work permit would only be issued for a company in Thailand. So starting a company or being employed by a company here would seem to be the only fully legal options. But as said both options would not seem realistic for a short period as you have mentioned.

from OP #1: As of right now I only plan on staying about 6 months tops unless I find that the lifestyle is for me.

There is really no way to get a work permit unless you are employed by a Thai registered company -- your company in the USA does not figure into the equation...

One avenue I sometimes suggest is that during your stay of 6 months or more you make sufficient trips outside of Thailand such that -- in the unlikely event that there was ever any official query -- you can reasonably claim that ALL your actual work is being done ex-Thailand and that you are here in the Kingdom strictly as an aficionado of Thai culture, etc.

thanks, very informative. What is the minimum pay rate / hour and min hours / week in thailand. I supposed I can hire 4 thai's if the money is right and just pay them to do random things.

How do they monitor online business's out of thailand? What legal standing would they take if I was found to be breaking the work permit laws?

I see drugs seem to be very illegal over there according to print, whats the real situation like? Not hard drugs just wanted to know if Marijuana was socially acceptable kind of like it is in the states.

Lastly, Is thailand and the residents pretty open to foreigners? I need to learn a lot about this country and am just curious if they try to take advantage of foreigners (like mexico) or if they are very accepting. I would hate to get there in a peaceful apartment just to get raided by police for investigations on no grounds.

Thanks again!

thanks, very informative. What is the minimum pay rate / hour and min hours / week in thailand. I supposed I can hire 4 thai's if the money is right and just pay them to do random things.

How do they monitor online business's out of thailand? What legal standing would they take if I was found to be breaking the work permit laws?

I see drugs seem to be very illegal over there according to print, whats the real situation like? Not hard drugs just wanted to know if Marijuana was socially acceptable kind of like it is in the states.

Lastly, Is thailand and the residents pretty open to foreigners? I need to learn a lot about this country and am just curious if they try to take advantage of foreigners (like mexico) or if they are very accepting. I would hate to get there in a peaceful apartment just to get raided by police for investigations on no grounds.

Thanks again!

Paywise, guessing you would need to be paying minimum of THB 200/day per employee, plus you need to pay their social security, therefore roughly bank on paying out around 18k to 20k a month in salaries = $ 700/m.

If caught breaking the law for working illegally....possible fine, jail, deportation and even blacklisting (ie cant come back to Thailand)

As regards the drugs...even weed....3 words.....Dont Do it.....

Do Thai take advantage of foreigners...yes they do....scams are rife in Thailand

Under Thai law....basically you are guilty until proven innocent

Another way to get a work permit is, come to Thailand as a tourist, and hope you become friends with the owner / director of an existing company. Thai companies require 7 or 8 board of directors, so sometimes these guys won't have an issue putting you on the board, assigning say 2% of company shares to you, and sponsoring you for a work permit. Obviously, in exchange for some money though, plus maybe you pay the annual registration fees.

That way you have a work permit without registering a company, or hiring Thai employees. Please note though, Thailand isn't going to give you a work permit for a freelance designer though, as those can be found in Thailand. So even if you get a work permit, you'll still technically be illegal, because you're only allowed to work within the profession stamped in your work permit (and it's not going to be designer).

Wouldn't worry too much about, as nobody gives a shit. Just don't flaunt the fact that you're "living the life", and can work from home in Thailand. Just make some general story for everyone, like you invested wisely in your younger years, and are living off your investments now.

All the best though!

Edited by cdnmatt

Just a simple double entry tourist VISA will give you about 6 months. When you hit Thailand, you're stamped in for 60 days. Then at any immigration office, you can extend that by 30 more days. After 90 days, make a border run, and use the second entry on your tourist VISA. Stamped in for another 60 days, then extend for another 30 days at any immigration office in Thailand. Voila, you got your 180 days. :)

Shouldn't even have a problem doing that every year, if you stay outside of Thailand for 6 months at a time. As for working at home, don't worry about it. Again, just don't flaunt it, and go telling everyone you meet on the street. There are alot of cun_ts around who will call the cops on you, because the cops will give them say 3000 baht for the tip. Well, it's not that bad, but better safe than sorry.

Edited by cdnmatt

Great! So that way gets me 6/mo's out of the year, what happens if I love the lifestyle and would prefer to stay longer? Does that only work for 6 out of the 12 monthes per year? What do I do after the 6 monthes if I wanted to get the easiest 12 MOnth extension (if possible)?

For a more permanent stay, from what I see, you pretty much have four options:

• Register a 2 million baht company, and hire 4 Thais.
  • Find a company willing to sponsor you for a work permit.
  • Learn Thai at school, and get an ED VISA
  • Marry a Thai girl.

BTW... where abouts in Thailand are you planning to stay?