News From Home Abit Grim?

sadhukar

Hi all, I'm a Thai student at Imperial College London and long-time lurker of this board.

I haven't been back home in the better part of a year and I use the daily news sent to my email as updates from home. Lately though they have been rather...grim. Is everything ok? I haven't heard much about red shirts lately, have they given up yet?

I doubt they will ever give up, and it is fun that a Thai uses this board for news. I am sure there is much more information in the Thai media ? Plus isnt it depressing to see all the people here complaining about your countrymen ?

Nice to see you posting. Right now, I would describe things as pretty good. Perhaps the calm before the storm, with elections coming up.

I doubt that the Red Shirts or the Yellows are going to cause much of a problem. It would not be in their interest to cause problems before an election. Afterwards, however, all bets are off.

The economy is doing reasonably well.

There are still plenty of problems, everything from shortages of cooking oil to drugs, and Preah Vihear Temple, but nothing jumps out to bite you in the bottom.

In the past year, there has been a lot of excitement and with the current relative calm, it almost feels a little boring. I wouldn't say it's grim.

Is there something specific you had in mind?

I would not worry too much young man , concentrate on your studies , all is well , for all of the multi suggestions here by the Falang community on how to rectify all that ails your homeland , there is still no one of importance paying any heed .

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt they will ever give up, and it is fun that a Thai uses this board for news. I am sure there is much more information in the Thai media ? Plus isnt it depressing to see all the people here complaining about your countrymen ?

I find it more balanced to read what the farang community says about news items than what the censored thai media spouts out...like the necessity of buying a submarine (complete and utter madness). Besides, your news items are quoted from thai media anyway :P.

I don't see many topics complaining about my countrymen and even then the over-generalizations are debunked pretty quickly. Besides, I'm just as annoyed at this business about Preah Vihear and Thaksin as everyone. Thaksin said in a 2006 TIME interview that he's withdrawing from politics forever, yet now he's posting election manifestos. Complete and utter hypocrisy yet people follow him. I just hope they follow his IDEAS and not HIM or (most likely) his money. However the same can be said about the ruling government. Honestly, who cares about Preah Vihear? No one has heard of it 5 years ago and we have plenty of UNESCO world heritage sites, one less isn't going to affect anything. Even then, how can the military be so incompetent? We have all this expensive hardware procured from the west, yet we seem to be getting an equal battering everytime an engagement happens against equipment Vietnam threw away 20 years ago.

And seriously, WHY IN ****s NAME DO WE NEED A SUBMARINE? What are we going to do with it exactly? Sometimes, I wish the entire structure of graft and incompetence would just be replaced...

I find it more balanced to read what the farang community says about news items than what the censored thai media spouts out...like the necessity of buying a submarine (complete and utter madness). Besides, your news items are quoted from thai media anyway :P.

I don't see many topics complaining about my countrymen and even then the over-generalizations are debunked pretty quickly. Besides, I'm just as annoyed at this business about Preah Vihear and Thaksin as everyone. Thaksin said in a 2006 TIME interview that he's withdrawing from politics forever, yet now he's posting election manifestos. Complete and utter hypocrisy yet people follow him. I just hope they follow his IDEAS and not HIM or (most likely) his money. However the same can be said about the ruling government. Honestly, who cares about Preah Vihear? No one has heard of it 5 years ago and we have plenty of UNESCO world heritage sites, one less isn't going to affect anything. Even then, how can the military be so incompetent? We have all this expensive hardware procured from the west, yet we seem to be getting an equal battering everytime an engagement happens against equipment Vietnam threw away 20 years ago.

And seriously, WHY IN ****s NAME DO WE NEED A SUBMARINE? What are we going to do with it exactly? Sometimes, I wish the entire structure of graft and incompetence would just be replaced...

Id like to see more posts from Thais like this.

'travelmann' timestamp='1304625459' post='4403957']

'sadhukar' timestamp='1304624819' post='4403954']

'robblok' timestamp='1303304264' post='4369077']

]

The difference between this young man and the majority of Thai is that he had the opportunity to move outside of the box and experience the fact that the world does not revolve around Thailand , he has become more able to see and think about what Thailand is all about from a different perspective . He is also most likely able to realise that much in its education system needs revamping , particularly in the repressive system of ' Brainwashing ' by rote that is holding his country back , much of what is taught is distorted to keep those in power , in power , the needs of the people has become a secondary consideration .

When he returns he should run for prime minister , Thailand could use a whole heap of truth and enlightenment .

Good to hear from a Thai in an outside arena. However being where he is I'm sure that he would come from a background of wealth and privilege. Would be interesting to get the perspective of a poor Isaan student having the luxury of an overseas education.

r from a Thai in an outside arena. However being where he is I'm sure that he would come from a background of wealth and privilege. Would be interesting to get the perspective of a poor Isaan student having the luxury of an overseas education.

There is a simple solution to your correct way of thinking , find an Issan student of merit and sponsor him/her , that way you would be able to peruse both sides of the coin .

And seriously, WHY IN ****s NAME DO WE NEED A SUBMARINE? What are we going to do with it exactly?

Well I'd heard that the "Tessabahn Guys" were going to use it to fine the farang tourists who drop litter on the coral reefs :o

And seriously, WHY IN ****s NAME DO WE NEED A SUBMARINE? What are we going to do with it exactly?

Well I'd heard that the "Tessabahn Guys" were going to use it to fine the farang tourists who drop litter on the coral reefs :o

Doesn't matter if the submarine or a fleet of them is practical. Surface militarism image and deeper reference are incredibly important to those calling the shots. This....a Buddhist society.

'meatboy' timestamp='1304651592' post='4404404']

the news from thailand is it still beats living where you are.

Not strictly true in my way of thinking , home is where the heart is and life is what you make of it where ever you may be or what ever you may be occupied by .

No where is perfect simply because people are not perfect , as we age, both our thoughts and our needs change dependent on our general state of health in both body and mind as has been noted on another thread , what one person is satisfied with in the way he lives his/her life , may not fit anothers criteria at any given time . I do my best not to ' Sweat the small stuff " as it is those minor discrepancies that seem to bother people the most , despite enjoying all that Thailand had to offer in as much as places to visit etc , I never truly felt it was a place I belonged for quite a number of reasons that niggled away at my thoughts , I moved on .

I'd like to see his birth certificate!!!! :lol:

His English is far superior to that of most posters who boast English as their mother tongue.

Good to hear from a Thai in an outside arena. However being where he is I'm sure that he would come from a background of wealth and privilege. Would be interesting to get the perspective of a poor Isaan student having the luxury of an overseas education.

Wow, you have really made an ass out of yourself and Sadhukar with your assumptions.

I insist you apologize to him immediately.

Wow, you have really made an ass out of yourself and Sadhukar with your assumptions.

How many Thai students have you met in your home Country. Not many I'll bet. I come from Australia and have met many students studying there. Without exception they have ALL come from what I would consider to be the Amaart wealthy class. If this is not the case with the OP then I apologise, however judging by his attitude towards Thaksin I'll bet that is the case. Another Abisit in the making? I have also met many poorer Isaan students who wish to advance themselves. Generally speaking they don't stand a chance. Ther is a huge glass ceiling preventing them from furthering their education. They don't have the money to buy themselves into universities, bribe their way out of conscription if they are males, and if thay are not particularly bright, purchase a degree.

His English is far superior to that of most posters who boast English as their mother tongue.

+1. OP writes like I do, after a 30 year career of writing in business (accountant and management consultant). When I was just a priveleged well brought up middle class English university student (and significantly more humble than I am now) I wrote significantly less well than he writes and so did all my mates. The attitudes displayed are middle-aged ones.

Definite troll. Nice try. :lol:

i will get right on it, but i will have to log out first.

How many Thai students have you met in your home Country. Not many I'll bet. I come from Australia and have met many students studying there. Without exception they have ALL come from what I would consider to be the Amaart wealthy class. If this is not the case with the OP then I apologise, however judging by his attitude towards Thaksin I'll bet that is the case. Another Abisit in the making? I have also met many poorer Isaan students who wish to advance themselves. Generally speaking they don't stand a chance. Ther is a huge glass ceiling preventing them from furthering their education. They don't have the money to buy themselves into universities, bribe their way out of conscription if they are males, and if thay are not particularly bright, purchase a degree.

You can try to justify yourself any way you want but unless you know the guys background you are just jumping to conclusions.

Whether you are right or wrong about his socio economic class you are still showing your ignorance by assuming you know more about him than you do.

If you want people to take you seriously I would suggest you change your tactics (I am not a fan of spoiled rich kids either, but judge him by his words not what YOU think his background is)

+1. OP writes like I do, after a 30 year career of writing in business (accountant and management consultant). When I was just a priveleged well brought up middle class English university student (and significantly more humble than I am now) I wrote significantly less well than he writes and so did all my mates. The attitudes displayed are middle-aged ones.

Definite troll. Nice try. :lol:

I should be careful. I might be called a Birther, or a member of the tin-hat brigade.:lol:

Just come back from a 3 week break to the uk.

And i can honesty say its a lot grimmer over there than what it is in Thailand.rolleyes.gif

Indeed. And it's not going to become any rosier. The temporary shift has found it's place.....for now.