Pcx/Elegance Vs Suzuki Hayate Fi

CMX

PCX/Elegance vs Hayate Fi

Jack Corbett posted a revealing and in my view accurate comparison of Honda's PCX and the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance. From my own experiences of riding them, I believe that the PCX is markedly superior in a number of ways, but significantly more expensive and annoyingly wider at the mirrors, beautiful, but tubby and overweight. After a few general remarks, I intend to offer a closer look at the Suzuki Hayate Fi.

I once offered to Jack the notion that perhaps the Hayate Fi was a poor man's Elegance. That's because they are both larger than the most other automatics, have a big under-seat storage area, and the 16 inch tire. Getting a dealer to discuss tubeless tires to go with the alloy wheels can be puzzling. In my market area, the new Fi Hayate is cheaper by more than 5,000 baht than the Elegance, though the Suzuki offers fuel injection (but is air cooled).

On the other hand, as Jack has repeatedly reported, the Elegance is water cooled. This, it turns out, is very important, for Yamaha is able, with the engine's operating temperatures controlled at the higher end, to build an engine with very close tolerances, and Nikasil cylinder linings do the rest – fuel efficiency is stellar using a carburetor. Power is excellent as well, as it is not only a 135 cc engine, it is engineered by Yamaha (as in racing). I owned one for months, and was happier than I knew (though I was aware of the PCX's superiority for distance travel).

The advantages of the PCX include the larger tires for grip and stopping, an extremely sophisticated motor with both water cooling and fuel injection, and its well-known (by now) stop-start system. Combi-brakes are debated, but I admire them. But it is one heavy 125 (I've always thought that Honda might offer a larger engine one day, still do; meanwhile, mods are popping up all over). This weight helps make it a steady cruiser, but limits (its fine) fuel efficiency and subtracts from its city mobility a bit. (One has to be very objective to accept this point.)

This brings me to the Suzuki Hayate Fi. I got a new one because of its fuel injection (also, it can sip E-20 95 octane, if that combination ever appears). Much to my surprise, I have not been able to beat the mileage of the Elegance – so far, while my experience of the Elegance was 43km/l, the H just 40km/l in pretty much the same city suburb mix. (Still breaking in the new engine at 800 kms.) Of course, it starts at once, unlike the Yamaha with its one-setting carb and tight engine.

Someone over on Motorcycle Thailand posted a “review” of the new Hayate and said that it didn't notice bumps or potholes very much. So far, mine does, but these are early days and my 'Zuki feels stiff. I believe that it is slightly more handy, quicker in handling. To me, however, the Elegance feels more luxurious, if I can apply the notion, than the Hayate, rather as the PCX is to the Elegance, but not to such a degree. The Hayate has an even broader seat, and there is a lower divide in the middle of the floor, so it it easier to step through in tight parking situations, which would also be of use if anyone's arthritis figured in.

Now Jack posted some speeds to indicate what was going on with fuel use, and I assume that they were from the speedometers. Unfortunately, I never troubled to use a gps on either the rented PCX or second hand owned Elegance when I had them in my hands. But I can assert that my Suzuki's speedometer lies, and I am suspicious of the odometer as well. (Hayate has no trip meter.) I'll add to this later when I get readings up the scale; for one thing, I'm not going at top speed yet. Odometer and mileage I've yet to establish to my satisfaction.

Its fuel gauge is very useful; entering the red means that only one liter of the 4.7 remains = get gas! Finding myself immediately below the red I once paid for 4.55 liters.

I conclude that the Hayate is slightly better for town, because I am very sensitive about width in snaking between stopped auto mirrors and parking at malls, but the advantage over the Elegance is not great. For distance driving – between these three – the PCX is the star. The Elegance is in the middle for price and for my money, the best of the lot when it comes to price/quality, carburetor notwithstanding. That is, unless the performance of my brand new Suzuki Hayate improves, I'll regret having sold the Elegance in order to get the 'Zuki, particularly as the small Yammy dealer in my town is excellent and Yamaha offers more in accessories.

Very well done CMX.

Of the bikes you mention, I have only ridden the PCX but your tests sounds fair to me.

I am still thinking about which bike will replace our trusted Fino in properly 1-2 years time. We are only using it for runabout in Pattaya so I don't think a PCX will be a good idea, but I like the bike though.

But next bike must be with Fi as the Fino only manage app. 33 km/l

Edited by guzzi850m2

Very well done CMX.

Of the bikes you mention, I have only ridden the PCX but your tests sounds fair to me.

I am still thinking about which bike will replace our trusted Fino in properly 1-2 years time. We are only using it for runabout in Pattaya so I don't think a PCX will be a good idea, but I like the bike though.

Thanks,

However, as I mention, my second-hand Elegance (one farang owner, 15000 kms) got 43km/l, using 91 gasahol, and so did Jack Corbett in his Elegance/highway test. For best mileage with an automatic, I think Scoopy would be in the running or the Click (one of us has a Wave AT), but you'd not have underseat storage equal to those I mention. A single owner (maybe farang) second-hand Elegance might fill the bill for a more comfy runabout. Here in my town, the Yamaha dealer's operation for smaller bikes (repair) is first-rate (I had an old clapped-out Nouvo MX at one time and it drank only benzine and much more of it, at 115cc; it needed work. This they did and reasonably.)

For fuel efficiency with an automatic, I suppose water-cooling with Fi would be best, but I forget which Hondas, among the small bikes, do that.

Well done CMX. To put a couple more twists to this whole thing upon returning from Krabi I got together with Ludwig today. Ludwig's a German retired architect who had been the proud owner of a PCX until his was stolen at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital no less. Ludwig's one of these very rational logical Germans who knew just how good his fuel economy was on his PCX and who appreciated its fine engineering. But when he went back to his Honda dealer, he was informed it wouldn't matter where he'd be driving a new PCX because it would likely be snatched wherever he took it. Ludwig commented to me, 'One cannot watch his bike all the time, so he wound up opting for a Honda Scoopy. While still in Krabi I got in a chat with Big Tom, (who's over six foot six and weighs over 130 kilos) an American friend of mine who's due to arrive here on April 28 and I urged him to rent a PCX for a month. Tom's reply went about like this---"I often find myself hemmed in by people parking their motorbikes right behind me and with a Nouvo I can lift it around those motorbikes whereas I could not do this with a PCX. So today I headed for Carre Four and in the Carre Four parking lot some idiots had completely hemmed me in by parking their bikes right in the lane to my rear. Other than picking up and moving about five bikes I had to inch my Nouvo Elegance forward which I did by walking the bike along. Had I had a PCX I would have had a devil of a time. I then drove behind Carre Four and was proceeding South towards Pattaya Klang, with lots of traffic ahead of me. There was the narrowest gap to my left so once again I dismounted and barely squeezed between a car and a sign post to my left with about 2 inches to spare on each side of my front foot pegs. I absolutely could not have done that with a PCX. My reward was I was able to immediately go to the left of a long line of cars to make an immediate left on Pattaya Klang. I then made very rapid progress to Sukamvit which I took up into Naklua. So whereas three days driving that bright red PCX in Krabi made me fall in love with it, today, my very first day back, I had a great day on my Elegance and would not have enjoyed the PCX nearly as much.

Which now brings up the XMAX. I think Yamaha came out with it way back in about 2005 and now the new 2011 models are in---available to the European market. To anyone here who thinks Yamaha is a laggard when it comes to building high tech scooters in the 100 to 250 c.c. classes I invite you to do a few searches in Google or Yahoo and do a little reading up on the Yamaha XMax. There's a 125 c.c. model and a 250 c.c. model. The 125 makes about 14 horsepower. That's around 3 more or 25 % more power than the PCX or 135 c.c,. Elegance. Nearly all the reviews from well satisfied owners are complete raves. Apparently the 125 goes like a bat out of hell for a 125. These things are fuel injected and they have two disk brakes, one on the rear and one on the front. There's an ABS option too. The 125's are getting over 100 miles to the gallon or same same as the Elegance and the PCX. One owner claims he can get his up to 75 miles an hour with a slight tail wind, another claims it doesn't take long for him to get his up to 70. And------unlike the Elegance which carries just 4,8 liters of fuel or the PCX which outranges the Elegance by about 30 % due to its significantly larger 6.2 liter fuel tank the XMax carries over 12 liters of fuel so it's going to have incredible range.

But.......it seems the X Max weighs 360 pounds or so which is 80 pounds heavier than the PCX which outweighs the Elegance by 40 to 50 pounds. But the reviewers claim it's a sensational bike that does everything well. And when I read even more I found out that apparently there are two basic models for the European market for both the 125 and the 250 X Max. One has a 15 inch front wheel and a 14 inch rear wheel whereas the other model has a 15 inch rear tire and a 16 inch front. So it would seem as if Yamaha is about ready to pounce on the Thai market. But.....at what cost for all this high tech? And if we feel the PCX is not as handy in city traffic and ease of parking as the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance what would we think of this X Max coming in at over 360 pounds for a 125 c.c.?

Edited by jackcorbett

Very well done CMX.

Well maybe I am getting more km/l than I write above, but no trip counter and honestly I couldn't be bothered writing down the counter each time I fuel :D

Well from what I read on CMX and jackcorbett tests, I now know for sure that I will NOT be buying a PCX. If I lived on Phuket yes, but Pattaya no thanks. Thanks guys you just saved me +71k bath or whatever a PCX cost nowadays, he-he.

Edited by guzzi850m2

• 2 months later...

As I am closing on 4,000 kms now, I can add a few remarks.

My Hayate persists in achieving only 40kms/l in and around town, but I am still accelerating ahead of everyone I can coming away from stops. Gulps gas then (in its little way).

I weigh more than the bike itself. Nevertheless, this Suzuki propels me to 60 very quickly indeed for a 125 automatic, and up to 80 with no problem. It is not unusual for me, somewhat out-of-town on a divided highway, finding myself going 80 or 90, having slid upwards along with auto traffic or along an empty stretch. The bike is quick and handy and I'm glad I decided upon it after all. I use the under seat storage constantly and find the broad seat to be the most comfortable motorbike I've used, even including the PCX if that seat has not been modified.

Everything about it has worked flawlessly, with not the slightest glitch, unless you blame Yamaha for the inner tubes that exude air. I have been able to confirm that the odometer is accurate and that the speedometer is not. Fuel reading continue to be the best I've experienced in a bike. (But if I am one needle width below empty and ignore it, I'd better have on my best walking shoes.)

All of us learn to take advantage of 'extras' and I've come to like the open storage areas, ostensibly for a water bottle or cell phone (if padded) and so forth. They suit me for sun glasses and gloves in a lot of places. Elegance doesn't have them.

Speaking of Elegance, though, I still imagine that with me aboard that it would have a higher speed superior to the 102 that is the best I get on the flat. Doubtless better on the extended uphill. And while i still do not know if the alloy wheels I ordered can even hold tubeless tires, Yamaha's Elegance now comes with tubeless in the first place.

But so far, at least, I'd prefer for town to have the Hayate more than any motorbike I've tested that is an automatic because of its balance of spirited handiness, comfort, price, and utility.

I actually wanted a Hayate but non of the local dealers had one in stock. I did find an Elegance and that is what I ended up with. Several dealers had the Honda PCX but although I like the ride and comfort, I refused to pay 75,000 baht. The Hayate at 52,000 and the Elegance at 56,000 were both better buys.

I am still impressed and amused with the Elegance and have to grin whenever I go up the mountain to my favorite watering hole while riding beside a friend's PCX. I know it irritates him that the Elegance easily outruns the PCX.

• 2 months later...

HI ! Just wanted to add the Gps topspeed readings of all three bikes and some others:

The PCX hits the rev limiter at 99 km/h (about 110 on the tachometer)

Yamaha Nouvo Elegance does 109 km/h

Suzuki Hayate (Carburetted) surprisingly does 109 km/h as well

The carburetted Airblade and Honda Click 93 km/h

Suzuki Step 93 km/h (although same engine with Hayate because of shorter gearing)

Yamaha X1-R 118 km/h (140 on tachometer)

Suzuki Skydrive (with 17 inch 60/90 tires) about 107 km/h on the same straight but on another ocassion very slight downhill has managed an unbelievable 119 km/h on GPS

I own two Elegance and two Hayate s Two skydrive and airblade and one Honda Click ,Yamah X-1 R(Sold recently) and ridden my cousin's PCX from Phuket to Pattaya and have measured all bikes top-speed myself with GPS

BTW The Hayate having equal top speed to Elegance it also has better acceleration probably because of a quicker engaging CVT system .

I also had the new Cbr 150 fi which had been stolen and I managed 165 on the Tachometer but my gps wasnt on at that time. Tested on Gps it was reading 133 km/h while the speedo was indicating 150 km/h

Hope it would be useful . You can ask me any questions you have about these bikes

Facts! How I love facts, particularly here on ThVi. Thanks!

Did wonder at the weight of the rider during GPS testing and betting it was under 90 kilos by a good deal? Reason I guess that it's so is that I believe the Elegance torque would slightly edge others pulling a lot of weight or going uphill.

(But that's not a fact, of course.):whistling:

Edited by CMX

• 4 weeks later...

At 5000kms plus, I wanted to complete my reports regarding my Hayate 125Fi. I love it for town. With 120 kilo's aboard, it claims 102/3 on the speedometer. The speedometer however lies by 10% against a gps. Still, 92 from any 125 with such a load is doing well. Also, the bike's acceleration is v. quick, truly zippy. Fuel use remains at 40km/l.

If there is a disappointment, it's to do with a top box, deep under-seat notwithstanding. The rear pillion handle is secured by only two bolts, whereas the Elegance has four. Yamaha dealers provide a bolt on frame and, if you wish, their own top box. Hayate provides nothing, and the two bolts will shear if the box is carrying anything at all heavy using a frame shaped for the two bolts alone. It calls for a custom frame (and I've yet to figure one) with another attach and support point.

All my earlier reports, however, are good. The scooter has been utterly without the smallest fault. I might wish for a rear disk brake, but even the heavier PCX hasn't got them. I had not mentioned that the broad seat on the Hayate is better for one whose bones down there are wide.

A really informative thread ,I have been procrastinating for a while on what scooter to get next and have decided on the Yamaha Spark RXi.

It seems to have most of the boxes ticked,the FI and availability of (when they arrive) 17 inch alloys at 58k swung it for me.

Maybe a step down from my old 1000GS but gotta be an improvement on the Honda Wave 110. :rolleyes:

A really informative thread ,I have been procrastinating for a while on what scooter to get next and have decided on the Yamaha Spark RXi.

It seems to have most of the boxes ticked,the FI and availability of (when they arrive) 17 inch alloys at 58k swung it for me.

Maybe a step down from my old 1000GS but gotta be an improvement on the Honda Wave 110. :rolleyes:

I am awaiting the arrival of my new Spark 135 RXi today. I am getting alloys but wasn't aware of the 17 inch option. If I had known about that I would have gone for that too.

The shop here only had the red/white model without mags, but I preferred the blue/white one so it is arriving from a nearby town today.

Cost 52,000 baht plus the usual on road cost of 1100 baht.

My only gripe is that there's no storage area under the seat.

Do you think the top speed will be similar to the X1-R as posted above? I may be doing a weekly or bi-monthly ride between two towns in different provinces, so that's why I went for the bigger 135 over a Wave 125 etc. Nearly made the step up to a CBR250 but decided it would be a bIt too big for daily round town use, also the missus coudn't ride it.

Edited by alleykat

I had my 2010 Nuevo Elegance up to 132 kph from Pattaya to Ban Ampur & another run at 134kph from Ban Ampur to Bang Saray Although I had to tuck it totally feet up on the seat & head through the handlebars to reach 134.(I weigh 69 kilos)I rode a Pcx for 6 weeks & I thought while it looks nice ,it was truly an old geezers bike. Heavy & slower than my 69 Yamalube 90 back in the early 70's. The Pcx was to me the turtle of non performers with some nice options. Not that great in Pattaya area because as mentioned it is bulky. I have not had a chance to ride a Suzuki yet. The Yamaha gets great mileage 34-38 per liter but is a total lackluster ride, but it reminds me of a push scooter with an engine.

I would opt for the Yamaha agin if I was looking for a scooter. I am looking forward to a 250 Yamaha star or the Dragstar supposedly due this year to be made in Thailand. Although a scooter is adequate in this area I find after selling my Kawasaki Boss cars push you off the lane your in & they didn't pull that stunt with a motor cycle.

The Nuevo is good at Hammering of the line & getting out away from the slowpokes!The nuevo will easily maintain 100-110 kph & it would be foolish to go much faster on a scooter in Pattaya. After 8 years I still have not gotten over the ease of 750cc. to 1800cc. Which would be absolute overkill. Anyone hear of when Yamaha might release the Thailand made rides? Not worth shipping from Australia or Malaysia.

The PCX is going for 70,000b in Chiang mai. Spoke to a fella who took is on the loopCM, Pai, Mae Hong Song, Siriang, CM. He was totally happy with the ride and comfort with 2 up. Thanks for the info on the alternatives will check out futher. Last night saw a all black PCX they do trick out nice.

Facts! How I love facts, particularly here on ThVi. Thanks!

Did wonder at the weight of the rider during GPS testing and betting it was under 90 kilos by a good deal? Reason I guess that it's so is that I believe the Elegance torque would slightly edge others pulling a lot of weight or going uphill.

(But that's not a fact, of course.):whistling:

elegance was stronger up the hill. Until I installed a Japanese Over full exhaust and modded variator. pcx now easily leaves elegance. as i also ride Ninja650, I never go faster than 80 with any twist&go. no brakes, crap tyres

Being away from the floods, was down in Phuket/Kata last week, lots of bikes there and lots of hills, noticed a big guy on the Elegance, I let him go just to see how this bike managed up the long twisting hill... Very surprised it went up very well, he even overtook a PCX with 2 normal sized people on, as well as many other bikes, on a bit further overtook him, his belly was resting on the handle bars..

Took more notice, most bike people sit up straight on, Yamaha arrears people sit further forward, so maybe that is the reason = weight in the center, the PCX and so many down there, most appeared to ride further back, easy rider style

I once took a tape to my old Nouvo MX and my Yamaha Elegance 135. Yamaha most definitely changed the seating arrangement as the seat is 2 inches farther forward on the Elegance than it was on the MX. It's also 2 inches higher. I believe Yamaha did this on purpose to make the new Elegance a more responsive handler than the MX which was noticeably slower at initiating turns than the Honda Air Blade. When you think about it the Elegance has the bike's driver's derriere sitting a lot closer to the front wheel therefore steering inputs from the driver's body will be much more quickly transferred to the front of the bike. At the time I did this measurement I felt the Yamaha engineers were very clever as they thus gave the Elegance the best of both worlds......that is the longer wheel base of the Elegance over the Air Blade making it more stable in a straight line while at the same time giving it the quickness in the turns of a more closely coupled bike such as the Air Blade.

As for the power of the Elegance at managing hills, i keep saying....it's got one helluva engine. 135 cc's but with the fuel economy of a bike with lower displacement. It just feels responsive with the power right there for when you need it.

CMX, did you ever figure out a good top box solution?

Ross

Nope, not yet. Have not applied to anyone such as the folks who did my Lifan 250 Cruiser (custom welding) because I've been riding the bigger bike in the good weather.

Partly too because I haven't figured a good third anchor point, but really haven't tried very hard. I'd liked the box while I had it (before it broke one bolt and seriously wounded the other). I love the bike but greatly dislike not having a top box for even more hidden storage.

Edited by CMX

I once took a tape to my old Nouvo MX and my Yamaha Elegance 135. Yamaha most definitely changed the seating arrangement as the seat is 2 inches farther forward on the Elegance than it was on the MX. It's also 2 inches higher. I believe Yamaha did this on purpose to make the new Elegance a more responsive handler than the MX which was noticeably slower at initiating turns than the Honda Air Blade. When you think about it the Elegance has the bike's driver's derriere sitting a lot closer to the front wheel therefore steering inputs from the driver's body will be much more quickly transferred to the front of the bike. At the time I did this measurement I felt the Yamaha engineers were very clever as they thus gave the Elegance the best of both worlds......that is the longer wheel base of the Elegance over the Air Blade making it more stable in a straight line while at the same time giving it the quickness in the turns of a more closely coupled bike such as the Air Blade.

As for the power of the Elegance at managing hills, i keep saying....it's got one helluva engine. 135 cc's but with the fuel economy of a bike with lower displacement. It just feels responsive with the power right there for when you need it.

measured the fuel on my pcx past 1000km. It returns 40km/liter or 0,25 liter/10km. Full throttle up to 80kmh, not faster than 80, my 109kg, usually kids 15 kg, often Gf 56kg. I am impressed, this is far better than elegance :)

Pcx rocks.got One for 65000 b ,2000km,confort,spacious , big space under seat, alarm, and auto idle, car show me respect as I take more road, top speed is low but who cares? Driving in Thailand is dangerous so better to stay 20 km/h lower than Europe.

And what about reselling?my Pcx will resell Better than a suzuki. So don't look only at the price because Pcx are like good wine or paints.

[quote} measured the fuel on my pcx past 1000km. It returns 40km/liter or 0,25 liter/10km. Full throttle up to 80kmh, not faster than 80, my 109kg, usually kids 15 kg, often Gf 56kg. I am impressed, this is far better than elegance :)

- katabeachbum

Given the weight of the PCX itself (135, I recall), 40/km/liter is impressive, marvelous!

However, I guess vehicles vary, as do driving styles and road conditions, and with these little engines small factors make a difference. Carrying 120 kilos, my second hand (6000kms when I got it) Elegance generally returned 42 or 43 km/l for months, and I was not easy on the speed.

But you are matching exactly my Hayate, which I drive with a fairly heavy hand in town in order to get ahead of swarms of motorbikes coming away from a red light, and I tend to drive at 80-90 gps once away from town. (All my scooters have registered about a 10% error on the speedometer, so it claims I'm going 90-100 approx.)

Not many make much of the advantages of the fuel fill location on the PCX, but it's darn handy if something is bungeed to the seat! And the range of the PCX, with 6.2L, is obviously spectacular.

Let's see: Forty kms/liter and 6 liters must mean...:huh:

Edited by CMX

Pcx rocks.got One for 65000 b ,2000km,confort,spacious , big space under seat, alarm, and auto idle, car show me respect as I take more road, top speed is low but who cares? Driving in Thailand is dangerous so better to stay 20 km/h lower than Europe.

And what about reselling?my Pcx will resell Better than a suzuki. So don't look only at the price because Pcx are like good wine or paints.

A PCX cannot rock. No 125 can rock. I agree with the rest, of course.

PCX will resell better than a 'Zuki, because it is a Honda. My only complaint about the bike is its size - which is wonderful for many things. But for slithering, snaking, and parking in tight situations, I prefer a slimmer model - just a matter of individual crotchets. ;)

Thinking of selling my trusty Honda Sonic (want Auto), so Suzuki Hayate or the Yamaha Elegance??.

Where I live is very rural and roads not in good condition, loads of potholes and loose gravel/debris everywhere. How robust are these modern auto's?, one thing about my Sonic, its well screwed together.

We have all the dealers in town so a stroll down and have a good looksy I guess.

A PCX cannot rock. No 125 can rock. I agree with the rest, of course.

PCX will resell better than a 'Zuki, because it is a Honda. My only complaint about the bike is its size - which is wonderful for many things. But for slithering, snaking, and parking in tight situations, I prefer a slimmer model - just a matter of individual crotchets.

They could have fit a 150cc or 200cc but what about consumption?

Shootout between PCX and Yamaha Nouvo Elegance Here you go.

Great article jack. Met a guy here in Chiang mai who has a PCX and he is really happy with it. In his research the PCX has the best rated transmission of any automatic. he did the loop on his PCX with the girlfriend. He said the only problem was a bit of loss power going up the hills between Chiang Mai and mae Hong Song. He really liked the stability of the PCX on a more open road.

Shootout between PCX and Yamaha Nouvo Elegance Here you go.

Great article jack. Met a guy here in Chiang mai who has a PCX and he is really happy with it. In his research the PCX has the best rated transmission of any automatic. he did the loop on his PCX with the girlfriend. He said the only problem was a bit of loss power going up the hills between Chiang Mai and mae Hong Song. He really liked the stability of the PCX on a more open road.

click and airblade need new rubber belts and later bearings and shit looong time before most yammys and very looooong time before elegance with its huge autobox.

any pcx with +40k km yet, still able to pull 160Kg up steep hills, without belt change?