No Numbers On Bike

Okay, I found a motorbike that I'd like to purchase, but there's no serial/VIN number on the gas tank or in the front. I'm told that this isn't a problem until the bike is a few years older, and then they'll come out and check the registration to the numbers on the bike to make sure it's the correct one when I go to renew. If there are no numbers, it's quite the process, isn't it? How hard is it to get paperwork for a bike with no numbers on it? It's the perfect bike except for this, but I don't want to get screwed over when it comes time to re-register.

How would you obtain valid insurance for a bike with no numbers? You must have proof of insurance to pay the annual road tax. Would you buy a motorbike or car in your own country with no VIN number? WALK AWAY, it could be stolen and you would have stolen property in your possession.

As the guys have said just walk away or offer him / her a fraction of what they are asking and if it gets lifted after a while you haven't lost so much. Personally it stinks to high heaven. I had a friend in HH that bought a similar bike. A week later he gets stopped and the bike is impounded. A couple of months later it is again up for sale. :blink: How many times has this happened ? :o No numbers means the bike is dodgy. No book but numbers and receipts is a different matter but still expensive top sort. I would honestly look for a bike with a book and all the numbers match. There are plenty out there for sure ;)

Without VIN numbers what connects the green book to your bike (apart from the number plate, which could have been either copied or taken off whatever bike the book was actually for)?

If you don't walk away then at least go to the DLT before you pay anything - if the present owner is willing to go!

There's current registration and the green book and it's all filled out from the previous 2 owners. That's why I'm not sure what to do. I'm half tempted to take it down to dmv with the guy and sort it out there...

If you really like the bike why just do that, nothing to lose.

If he won't go then walk away, simple, easy, no worries.

Edited by Kwasaki

There's current registration and the green book and it's all filled out from the previous 2 owners. That's why I'm not sure what to do. I'm half tempted to take it down to dmv with the guy and sort it out there...

So there's a green book with a VIN. It had 2 previous owners but the present owner can't show you any VIN on the bike. VIN numbers are normally stamped where they can easily be read even on a faired bike. The frame/neck being a most common place.

Don't be fooled by any documentary evidence that can't be verified on the bike. There are many bikes out there with forged green books. I have walked away from so many bikes where documents didn't tally or there were no documents at all. Legalities aside, if the documentation isn't correct what on earth makes you thing the bike is in good order?

Personally I would not waste my time on this one and run away not walk. Eventually the right bike will find you. If you're determined to go ahead with this one just tell the seller that you will pay them at the DLT office when the transfer is complete. Let them do the work for you.

If you buy a bike it and it transpires that it's illegal, you're not being screwed by the authorities as the sellers screwed you already. Or maybe you've screwed yourself.

Good Luck. Hope you find the right bike soon.

Depending on where you live in the country... Down here in NST the police does not care... Honestly- they dont care... But are you only riding in a small town?

I have owned several big bikes with not the propper papers- thailand is changing so I think that the options for buying a bike with the correct paper work is important and easy...

If this is a super special bike- take the person that is selling the bike- cash- and get down to the transport department... Once it is yours, pay him- not before...

Ps... Riding a bike with no plate is not problematic before you cause an accident... Then they will throw the book at you... And you will pay ALOT!

Good luck...

Have look at the green book and match the numbers, maybe you are just looking in the wrong place ?, having a green book I would doubt it doesnt have any numbers on the frame or engine.

using a wave or old steed green book on another bike is a crime

moving the greenbooks numbers to the same bike is a serious crime

so better to not have any numbers

Have look at the green book and match the numbers, maybe you are just looking in the wrong place ?, having a green book I would doubt it doesnt have any numbers on the frame or engine.

using a wave or old steed green book on another bike is a crime

moving the greenbooks numbers to the same bike is a serious crime

so better to not have any numbers

If he looks in the book at the engine number and it matches well maybe he is just looking for the frame number in the wrong place. Only a retard would file all frame and engine numbers off as any inspection would most like have a fat copper riding the following week.