Why Don'T Thais Have Forward Thinking?

cdnmatt

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We made a time scheme," and "My 17 years esperience since then: no Thai can plan in the future"

Sounds like the planning ahead problem is yours.

I think the inability of Thais to engage in past thinking crazy.gifand present thinkingcrazy.gif is what is causing the inability of Thais to engage in future (forward) thinkingcrazy.gif.

it looks like the forward planning in farang-utopia hasn't been all that splendid either. That noise you hear is the sound of chickens coming home to roost and it's not in Isaan.

We could even ask ourselves what such definitions are cornered as to forward progressive thought. Noted, some deluded civilisations have a dreamy state as to their existence, imagining themselves dominate in most every manner - yet fail to connect to what is real. As long as they're convinced of such superiority, repeated to them time and again, the natural enigma will continue.

I suppose, when we deal in gross generalisations, we have to accept that variations within a population might be much greater than variations between populations, but that does not mean that the variations between populations do not exist.

And another thing - I put it to you that following a cycle or a calendar does not amount to planning:

Planting season: Today we plant. Why? Because its planting season

Harvest: Today we harvest everything, whether we need it today or not. Why? Because its harvest season.

Anyway, I think it is quite clear that Thais plan ahead. I would also accept that Thais plan ahead less universally and less effectively than some other nationalities; and presumably more so than some others.

Personally, I always maintain a detailed plan for the job. That plan is:

"This is what we do today, and after that we make it up as we go..."

A universal cross-cultural plan that fits most jobs...

SC

EDIT: Anyway, maybe we should move this thread over to the Sport forum, where the rugby thread has (through fault of my own, I admit) also veered off to forward thinking, and specifically, scrummaging...

Edited by StreetCowboy

That word does not mean "to plan", but simply to implement something (whether a policy, plan, etc.).

The Thai expression "wang phaen" is the direct translation of "to plan" -- with "phaen" coming from the English "plan". It is not originally a Thai word.

Is that what you're going on about, the etymology of Thai words? Way to split hairs.

I guess the English don't have a word for "to plan" either as it is French in origin. whistling.gif

And FYI, only around 25% of modern English words are Germanic in origin, with only a fraction of those being English words. The rest are taken from other languages. So it's okay if the English do it but not Thais. Right. rolleyes.gif

That word does not mean "to plan", but simply to implement something (whether a policy, plan, etc.).

The Thai expression "wang phaen" is the direct translation of "to plan" -- with "phaen" coming from the English "plan". It is not originally a Thai word.

Is that what you're going on about, the etymology of Thai words? Way to split hairs.

I guess the English don't have a word for "to plan" either as it is French in origin. whistling.gif

And FYI, only around 25% of modern English words are Germanic in origin, with only a fraction of those being English words. The rest are taken from other languages. So it's okay if the English do it but not Thais. Right. rolleyes.gif

It means, silly willy, that until recently there was no way to express "to plan" in the Thai language. They had to import an English word, which means it is a very recent addition. That's all.

Words borrowed into English are mostly hundreds of years old, from when the English lexicon was forming.

I always refer to the lack of "what if?" Like what if there is an oncoming truck as I pass on a blind corner. What if there is a bus barreling down the hiway in the lane as I ride my motorsai onto the hiway while haulin'ass without looking.

Your brain works in very strange ways.

Oh, great. Now we'll have a digression into neurology and physio-psychology.

Couldn't you see that would happen?

Everyone's brain works in strange ways. Though not everyone in strangeways' brain works.

SC

This can only be a greater benefit to TV, as the promotion of different and eclectic ways counters the ever-present homogeny.

I know some Thais that are forward thinkers. They come right up and proposition me knowing that there is a good chance that I might agree to their proposal. Very often they are right and we all are happy afterwards. :whistling: Now, as far as long range proposals are concerned it's just not going to happen.. B)

I think their misunderstanding of the Buddhist way of thinking is also at fault. It seems they believe that Buddha is in control of everything they do and everything everyone else does, and therefore they are never responsible for their own actions. It is like they are living within an invisible bubble that extends in a close circle around their body. it explains why they will ride a motorbike at high speed down a narrow, twisty soi where people park vehicles that block the whole soi. It explains why young girls will not insist that their Thai boyfriend wears a condom when they have sex. It explains why they take the wrong route to some place that could have been easily found looking at a map. And, they don't even understand the concept of a map. They haven't learned that if you screw somebody with some minor scam then that person is not going to be so gullible the next time. They don't see that if they try to set up a similar business right next door to an already well established business then they aren't going to be successful.

I think they actually have to be TAUGHT to learn advance planning to improve their future. I've seen so many examples of this odd topic I can't recall them all.

As far as the OP's example about taking a piece of furniture apart is concerned I think it's a lack of conceptual thinking. They only repeat what they've always done instead of thinking of something new. Asians are great copiers, but not as great when it comes to creative thinking.

I think you're right!

Has an Asian ever won a Nobel Peace Prize for any of the sciences?

All they can do is copy and improve an existing idea!

Good theory.

With the respect to the original question, it's an old observation in sociology that how much a person expects to be able to control the future reflects how much money and power he has. Here in the US wealthy families hire tax planners to set up generation-skipping trusts to optimize estate-planning for the next few generations. Middle-class Americans don't do that, but most of them plan for retirement by selecting jobs with pensions, funding 401k plans, etc. By contrast poor people may have future plans limited to paying the rent for the next few months.

My expectation is that the degree to which Thai people plan for the future would fall out along the same lines: poor people very little, while rich people much more.

No need to appeal to racial theories or simplistic notions of the ease of agriculture in a tropical country.

Yes, Thai in general might not be the best about forward thinking, but Esarn are really worst...

They are intuitive, though. The naturally connections come instinctive. More so than the developed world.....if that ain't forward thinking, I don't know what is.

It's all relative, they appear to not have forward thinking to those who are backwards thinkers.

It is all magically relative, in a revolving instance. Those backward thinkers whom appear to be of the forward variety, haven't the ability to recognize one from the other. Aren't unreasoning paradoxes delightful...??;)

Maybe I just know the wrong Thais

Maybe. Maybe you should stop stereotyping about 65 million people based on your limited experiences. Sounds like the people you live with just aren't that bright.

Have you lived in Thailand at all?

What's rice got to do with it, no disrespect to Thai, but it's not about being stupid, Thai'sin the main are not stupid. Some of the best bushman I've meet are Thai. They know how to grow and look after rice because that's what they do! Thai's, in factp oor people around the world have the inability to carry out the 'action and conscience 'thing, but let's stick to Thailand. The problem I see is this; poor, uneducated Thai's have no understanding of a child's, (1 to 4 years) mental development,this is the golden age, were a child learns 'action and conscience' among otherthings. Where the child, from poor Thai families are placed in the corner or strapped to the back of a sibling. A child at this age will adapt what he/she learns andall the mistakes, (Ideally in a safe environment) will relate in later life tomany hazards….IE whacking themselves with a toy hamer….it hurts… Don't do it!

The western world spends millions of pounds on pre-school toys, why…it works! After this golden learning age, around 4 years of age, the mind moves on. If you've not learnt 'action and conscience' by around 4 years of age you never will, every potential harmful action has to be learnt individually, no cross referencing in the memory bank. I've worked with uneducated Indians…..no different what so ever.

Edited by Tonto21

Maybe I just know the wrong Thais

Maybe. Maybe you should stop stereotyping about 65 million people based on your limited experiences. Sounds like the people you live with just aren't that bright.

Have you lived in Thailand at all?

I've lived here over 20 years and I agree with Tanaka.

If you surround yourself with bonehead bumpkins, you'll end up thinking that all Thais are bonehead bumpkins.

The Thais I work with and deal with on a daily basis are as smart as whips, and could run rings around a lot of the posters here. Yes, they even know the difference between "loose" and "lose"!

Edited by Richard4849

As far as the OP's example about taking a piece of furniture apart is concerned I think it's a lack of conceptual thinking. They only repeat what they've always done instead of thinking of something new. Asians are great copiers, but not as great when it comes to creative thinking.

I think you're right!

Good theory.

Wow, those are some pretty ignorant comments. Let's just consider the Chinese:

China has been the source of many significant inventions, including the Four Great Inventions of ancient China: papermaking, the compass, gunpowder, and printing (both woodblock and movable type). Other inventions: The Chinese invented technologies involving mechanics, hydraulics, and mathematics applied to horology, metallurgy, astronomy, agriculture, engineering, music theory, craftsmanship, nautics, and warfare. By the Warring States Period (403–221 BC), they had advanced metallurgic technology, including the blast furnace and cupola furnace, while the finery forge and puddling process were known by the Han Dynasty (202 BC – AD 220). A sophisticated economic system in China gave birth to inventions such as paper money during the Song Dynasty (960–1279). Etc., etc….

I'm not Chinese, but generally try to avoid comments which may suggest some sort of "superior race," as many on TV tend to do.

Edited by Berkshire

I think you're right!

Good theory.

China has been the source of many significant inventions, including the Four Great Inventions of ancient China: papermaking, the compass, gunpowder, and printing (both woodblock and movable type). Other inventions: The Chinese invented technologies involving mechanics, hydraulics, and mathematics applied to horology, metallurgy, astronomy, agriculture, engineering, music theory, craftsmanship, nautics, and warfare. By the Warring States Period (403–221 BC), they had advanced metallurgic technology, including the blast furnace and cupola furnace, while the finery forge and puddling process were known by the Han Dynasty (202 BC – AD 220). A sophisticated economic system in China gave birth to inventions such as paper money during the Song Dynasty (960–1279). Etc., etc….

I'm not Chinese, but generally try to avoid comments which may suggest some sort of "superior race," as many on TV tend to do.

Yes, those are all true, Berkshire, but that was a LONG time ago when there was an age of art and invention. I believe oppressive governing by leaders squelched the Chinese creativity. I don't feel like researching to find the dates when things changed for the worse. However, the Chinese are very good at seeing what is working elsewhere and taking it to another level. The Japanese did that in the 1950s and became a world power again after being beaten down by the Second World War. The Japanese hired the best of the German and Swiss craftsmen and copied what worked. China is just starting to realize that western countries want good quality items and not the current junk they are currently making. When they finally change over, as Japan did before them, then watch out. They will OWN us... lock, stock and barrel.

I think you're right!

Good theory.

Nice try, Berkshire. Don't you know that the Chinese don't count when applying such to conditioned Eurocentric models?:whistling:;):jap:

Edited by zzaa09

I think you're right!

Good theory.

Nice try, Berkshire. Don't you know that the Chinese don't count when applying such to conditioned Eurocentric models?:whistling:;):jap:

I would suggest that without the Chinese, the Thais would have precious little.