Pheu Thai Party Offers Tablets To Thai Students

webfact

What's wrong with having APC's and fighter aircraft to protect the country?

Protect the country against who precisely?

You also seem to misunderstand the role of the Thai armed forces.Its role is not to fight wars but to secure internal power and influence and make money for its generals.Protecting the country is way down the list of priorities.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GEO

Might I suggest you take a look at PEST analysis online?

Again, you look at the end user, but fail to look at how the money could be better spent to benefit that same person.

I understand now your previous post about you not even believing your posts completely because nobody that suggests they actually care about education would want to see any money wasted on a project with no chance of success when there are obviously far better ways to spend the same money on education.

I think it may be time to no longer see your arguments on here :)

I do believe that is what the 'ignore' button is for JD.....I'm surprised you and others don't use it...... after all....... not as if you would be missing anything of substance is it?.......:)

................................judging by the last 3 days of this thread .........................apparently not! If theres money for this - it should be spent on other things schools already have IT rooms - this is just a gimick!!

Notification to all political posters:

Defamatory posts will not be tolerated

Abusive posts will not be tolerated

Inflammatory posts will not be tolerated

This nonsense will cease in these threads. Members will find their posting rights suspended until after if they cannot maintain civility and follow forum rules and this will be done without any prior notification other than the warn. This IS your notification.

TONE IT DOWN NOW

I'd rather have Puea Thai give tablets to students than the Democrats wasting millions of Baht

The Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet computer program will run into the Billions (with a capital B ) also known as 1,000 million.

My understanding is that educationalists believe this is in principle a good idea.The legitimate question relates to cost and impact.There's no suggestion that Samsung Galaxy Tabs will be used other than Yingluck was brandishing one as an example.The PTP spokesman (on MCOT TV) advised relatively low end but servicable units would be purchased in bulk from China at a cost of Bt 4000 each on favourable financing terms.

So it seems Buchholz's comments are ill informed speculation.

"Ill-informed" by following the lead of the Potential Prime Minister.

You're saying we should discount what she says and shows and instead take the word of a hired mouthpiece?

If a 4,000 baht piece of plastic is what they are going to use, why on Earth show off a 30,000 tablet computer?

Misleading?

Buyer beware.

Edited by Buchholz

They're more likely to get education from a handheld device than from a teacher. If you've looked at some of the books being used at universities across Thailand, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's stuff that I've had in probably 10th grade.

With a handheld device, they might just get access to news from outside of Thailand, including a glimpse on how politics works elsewhere and that democracy is more than just calling yourself a Democrat. They could use applications to learn English or other languages. Sure, they will play Angry Birds. But some of them might just wonder how the Angry Birds game works and find out how to develop their own games or applications, which then could make them more money than standing as a cashier in a 7-Eleven all month.

I'd rather have Puea Thai give tablets to students than the Democrats wasting millions of Baht in the ever-changing egg-pricing scheme, which tells vendors to sell eggs by their weight and forces them to use machines that they can't even afford to purchase.

"More likely to get education from a PC tablet than from a teacher - you really DO show your ignorance with this comment a truly ridiculous comment!! Youre obviously not a professional educator are you? The key to raising standards in Thai schools is to improve teacher training standards NOT to bring in a gimic to win elections. By the way Ive been a QUALIFIED teacher in UK and International schools for 16 years and have an M Ed from a UK University as well as a Doctorate in my subject. Thai Universities and schools MOSTLY have IT departments. The cost, the lack of taining in their application, the quality of the product from cheap Chinese sources will ensure the failure of the scheme. Lets just hope the money is spent on teacher staqndards NOT on electronic gadgets - there are enough of those already in the classroom under the name Blackberry! Another red shirt poster desperately clutching at straws.

You're saying we should discount what she says and shows and instead take the word of a hired mouthpiece?

If a 4,000 baht piece of plastic is what they are going to use, why on Earth show off a 30,000 tablet computer?

Misleading?

Buyer beware.

Your prejudices are showing.

I'm not sure the PTP education spokesman should be described as a hired mouth piece.

If your point is that Yingluck was holding an expensive branded item, that's noted.However it is perfectly possible to mass produce a functional tablet PC for a fraction of Bt 30,000.There is no siggestion Thai children will be issued with high end Apple or Samsung products/

Misleading?

Buyer beware.

If your point is that Yingluck was holding an expensive branded item, that's noted.However it is perfectly possible to mass produce a functional tablet PC for a fraction of Bt 30,000.There is no siggestion Thai children will be issued with high end Apple or Samsung products/

I'm noting that Yingluck was showcasing an expensive branded tablet computer and that in the same breath the international media is indicating that is precisely what 1,000,000 students can expect to receive if the adult members of their family vote for PTP.

Do you think children (or for that matter adults) are going to listen to some staid news conference by Promphong or are they going to pay much more attention (and instill belief) in their future Prime Minister standing on stage proudly hoisting the electronic tablet in front of thousands in person?

It's chicanery and misleading at the very least. Much worst than that at it's worst.

Edited by Buchholz

I'm noting that Yingluck was showcasing an expensive branded tablet computer and that in the same breath the international media is indicating that is precisely what 1,000,000 students can expect to receive if the adult members of their family vote for PTP.

Do you think children (or for that matter adults) are going to listen to some staid news conference by Promphong or are they going to pay much more attention (and instill belief) in their future Prime Minister standing on stage proudly hoisting the electronic tablet in front of thousands in person?

It's chicanery and misleading at the very least. Much worst than that at it's worst.

The evil of it.I think the courts should be "directed" to deal with this act of ignominious act of bait and switch.It's comical that some think there's criminality here but then a sense of perspective is sometimes problematic.

Possibly she was holding up the nearest tablet to hand as a symbol.I guess that's too rational an explanation.

Clearly some of her critics are becoming badly rattled, seizing on the most insignificant issues where there's less than meets the eye.

I would have to ask the question - Why would Pheu Thai/ Yingluck/their PR manager choose to hold up this tablet if theyre not going to use it? EITHER - theyve grabbed the nearest device and not thought about it - which is neglectful at best and misleading and a downright LIE at worst - or they ARE going to use this tablet - which is going to be VERY expensive and may cost a couple of hospital wards.

But Pheu Thai would do ANYTHING to get elected. After their elected, the truth is, they wont face a coup - they face economic ruin from a very competitive Asian Business world where labour is much cheaper - then well see the cardboard facade tumble like the left hand side of Central world. Asia has overall average growth double that of Thailand in the last 7 years. Economics will show Thai people just how good Thaksin and the Pheu Thai really are.

The evil of it.I think the courts should be "directed" to deal with this act of ignominious act of bait and switch.It's comical that some think there's criminality here but then a sense of perspective is sometimes problematic.

Possibly she was holding up the nearest tablet to hand as a symbol.I guess that's too rational an explanation.

Clearly some of her critics are becoming badly rattled, seizing on the most insignificant issues where there's less than meets the eye.

I agree it is a pretty small issue in comparison to the violent proclivities of the group. I do wonder what kind of software it will be pre-loaded with though.

Your implausible explanation and attempted excuses are noted.

It is what it is. She holds up a 30,000 tablet computer with the obvious impression given that this what is going to be disseminated. If the cynical international media get that impression, her voting constituents absolutely do.

Clearly some of her backers are becoming rattled by her reoccurring gaffs, attempting to explain away grossly misleading campaigning with implausible explanations.

In light of Admin's notification, that's nothing more need to be said.

Edited by Buchholz

Would anyone like to speculate who would supply these things whatever they are?

I would say probably a company would likely be registered in somewhere like Dubai to preform that service.

What a great education policy.

Once the kids have them in their hands then schools as we know them can be done away with and kids can educate themselves according to their abilities and ambitions, a great saving to the country and a future generation of computer game experts who will make this country the hub of online gamers.

It is what it is. She holds up a 30,000 tablet computer with the obvious impression given that this what is going to being disseminated. If the cynical international media get that impression, her voting constituents absolutely do.

Clearly some of her backers are becoming rattled by her reoccurring gaffs, attempting to explain away grossly misleading campaigning with implausible explanations.

As you say, it is what it is - an expensive branded tablet. Yingluck is surrounded by her many handlers, one of whom undoubtedly was given the task in advance of providing a tablet to be displayed. An inexpensive tablet was not chosen. Seems quite plausible that it was a deliberate decision.

It is what it is. She holds up a 30,000 tablet computer with the obvious impression given that this what is going to be disseminated. If the cynical international media get that impression, her voting constituents absolutely do.

I'm afraid you are not the sole judge of what needs to be said.

There are plenty of reasons to criticise Yingluck and the PTP, but if every small incident (waving the Samsung tablet around) is puffed up into some kind of criminal act the debate becomes meaningless.

I suspect most people without an axe to grind wouldn't give this particular incident a passing thought.The point is that Thai children will be given an opportunity which most educationalists believe is very welcome.Of course this needs to be done cost effectively as the PTP education spokesman would be the first to agree.

There are plenty of reasons to criticise Yingluck and the PTP, but if every small incident (waving the Samsung tablet around) is puffed up into some kind of criminal act the debate becomes meaningless.

I suspect most people without an axe to grind wouldn't give this particular incident a passing thought.The point is that Thai children will be given an opportunity which most educationalists believe is very welcome.Of course this needs to be done cost effectively as the PTP education spokesman would be the first to agree.

Just to clarify, I mean nothing more from my end. I've never been one to dictate to others what to post.

I would just clarify further that I never said what she's doing is criminal, but it is very misleading and most likely, deliberately and calculatingly done.

I can understand your wish to try and downplay the entire incident, but this was a public speech in she was talking to her supporters about a cornerstone of one key planks in the PTP platform. It brings the entire program into question (or actually adds additional questions to the many pre-existing and un-answered other questions).

Edited by Buchholz

Who pays the monkeys to write this appalling crap? We start off with education and i-pads then hey presto change story by paragraph 2. The Nation has to be one of the worst written and edited papers going.

Only worrying thing is the monkeys here are stating their qualified opinions on the subject .....

Shop is shutting have a free banana as you leave.

Just to clarify, I mean nothing more from my end. I've never been one to dictate to others what to post.

I would just clarify further that I never said what she's doing is criminal, but it is very misleading and most likely, deliberately and calculatingly done.

I can understand your wish to try and downplay the entire incident, but this was a public speech in she was talking to her supporters about a cornerstone of one key planks in the PTP platform. It brings the entire program into question (or actually adds additional questions to the many pre-existing and un-answered other questions).

I've never been one to dictate to others what to post.

Dictate is too strong a word.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/user/45550-timekeeper/

Buchholz

2011-05-06

An exceptional series of posts today. Thank you for your input. It makes a difference. :)

I'd say 'directly influence' is more your reason for existence on these threads.

Edited by hanuman1

In light of Admin's notification, the above off-topic, over-personal, wholly-unnecessary post needs no direct reply.

Topic:

Pheu Thai Party Offers Tablets To Thai Students ONE STUDENT, ONE TABLET COMPUTER

Edited by Buchholz

In light of Admin's notification, the above off-topic, over-personal, wholly-unnecessary post needs no direct reply.

Topic:

Pheu Thai Party Offers Tablets To Thai Students ONE STUDENT, ONE TABLET COMPUTER

Did it break the rules? I offered it only as a way of establishing where you 'are coming from' to help people decide for themselves how to interperate your comments. Providing publicly available background quotes by posters is often done by other posters.

I agree, though, that it needs no direct reply.

Edited by hanuman1

If you are unclear as to whether or not something contravenes forum rules you are mroe than welcome to PM me or a mod on duty but discussion of moderation action in the open forum not only hijacks threads but is against forum rules.

Imagine if instead of one free tablet PC per school child it was one free car per family and Yingluck shows off a Mercedes in her campaign indicating that every family will get a new car, when in fact Pheu Thai's plan is to give them the cheapest car in the world, the Tata Nano, which retails at 2900 USD each.

So do we actually know yet what brand the tablet PCs would be? Or are Pheu Thai hiding it until after the election? I get a feeling that it's going to be a no-name brand and the absolute dirt cheapest one in the world, incomparable with the quality and reliability of the well-known brands, and one that a Shinawatra would never even think of using one themselves or giving one as a gift to their own friends (maybe they think that the common folk won't know the difference). If that's the case, it's going to be a technical support nightmare, which will cost dearly. But as long as the Shinawatra clan gets a good commission from the millions of sales, it doesn't matter.

Edited by hyperdimension