Us Navy Seal'S Drink For Free

mstribling

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With roughly 4 out of 5 people in Thai bars being current or former special forces, you could be broke by morning. But I appreciate the sentiment. :jap:

So true. :)

Ill pretend to be one.. im Dutch but im sure im as real as all those other wannabees :D

As a midshipman in 1977, I went to the BUD/S Indoc Course, but I went Marines upon graduation, not Navy. Does that count? :)

(Vice Admiral Bob Harward was one of our small group of 5 midhsipmen to attend the course, and he is now in charge of the joint task force from which the SEALS who killed bin Laden probably came.)

I'll buy one round based upon that, but sorry no all nighter. You understand. :)

Thanks for your service.

I'm a cheap date. One Coke Lite is enough for me. :)

(As an aside, having been to BUD/S, even just the 3-week indoc course, I know enough of SEAL culture and the training lingo to catch all the wannabe SEALS I have met over the years. It is pretty fun to debunk them.)

As a midshipman in 1977, I went to the BUD/S Indoc Course, but I went Marines upon graduation, not Navy. Does that count? :)

Marine Corps Force Recon are right up there with the Seals. I would guess that they take the same course. :thumbsup:

I'm a former Navy Deep Sea Diver. Lived in the same barracks next to the Hotel Coronado as the guys going through BUDS and had two high school friends become SEALs (including the one I used to protect from bullies). Anyway, I'm up for a beer to celebrate, free or not.

(Vice Admiral Bob Harward was one of our small group of 5 midhsipmen to attend the course, and he is now in charge of the joint task force from which the SEALS who killed bin Laden probably came.)

bin laden been dead for years man - you know that. so what you on about?

Marine Corps Force Recon are right up there with the Seals. I would guess that they take the same course. :thumbsup:

I was Battalion Recon, not Force. (We had no Force in the 3DMARDIV when I was assigned there, only a Deep Reconnaissance Platoon.) But I did wear the "Dual Cool" (or "Dual Fool" as some others referred to it. )

And I will be honest--I am glad I never had to go the BUD/S route. Even for my indoc course, it sucked! And my hat is off to those who survived it, all 28 weeks of it (I think it was 28 weeks.) Cold, tired, beat up, it sucked. I got my jump wings at Benning and my dive qual at Pearl Harbor, a much easier route. I never made it to Army Ranger School. In Recon, we generally have a day or two of initial eval where you are run pretty ragged, but you can put up with anything for two days. Our training once in a unit is tough, but not brutal.

I have "fought" SEALs in many operations, and quite frankly, my Marines pretty much always came out on top. But that was because of superior unit cohesion and tactics. As individual warriors, well, SEALs, in my humble opinion, are about at the top of the toughness pyramid. When I see someone wearing the Trident, well, my hat's off to him. And that is one reason I love to debunk the fakers even if I was never a SEAL.

Oddly enough, I enlisted in the Navy after seeing an old film, "Men With Green Faces," a Navy film on the SEALs, but was convinced by my recruiter to go Nuc Power. (I never made it to boot camp and my appointment to the Academy came through before my reporting date.) Then I eschewed the Nuc Navy to go Marines upon graduation. :)

bin laden been dead for years man - you know that. so what you on about?

I am so glad you know what I know. Maybe you can get me up to speed on what else I know. It would save me the trouble of having to figure it out for myself.

I was Battalion Recon, not Force. (We had no Force in the 3DMARDIV when I was assigned there, only a Deep Reconnaissance Platoon.) But I did wear the "Dual Cool" (or "Dual Fool" as some others referred to it. )

And I will be honest--I am glad I never had to go the BUD/S route. Even for my indoc course, it sucked! And my hat is off to those who survived it, all 28 weeks of it (I think it was 28 weeks.) Cold, tired, beat up, it sucked. I got my jump wings at Benning and my dive qual at Pearl Harbor, a much easier route. I never made it to Army Ranger School. In Recon, we generally have a day or two of initial eval where you are run pretty ragged, but you can put up with anything for two days. Our training once in a unit is tough, but not brutal.

I have "fought" SEALs in many operations, and quite frankly, my Marines pretty much always came out on top. But that was because of superior unit cohesion and tactics. As individual warriors, well, SEALs, in my humble opinion, are about at the top of the toughness pyramid. When I see someone wearing the Trident, well, my hat's off to him. And that is one reason I love to debunk the fakers even if I was never a SEAL.

Oddly enough, I enlisted in the Navy after seeing an old film, "Men With Green Faces," a Navy film on the SEALs, but was convinced by my recruiter to go Nuc Power. (I never made it to boot camp and my appointment to the Academy came through before my reporting date.) Then I eschewed the Nuc Navy to go Marines upon graduation. :)

good god, could you have fit more jargon into this post?

Thanks. Interesting post.

I've been told that Battalion Recon gets pretty much the same training as Force Recon, but a different mission. Anyway either one is very impressive in my books.

By the way, just ignore the bores - or ban them if you have the urge. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Interesting post.

I've been told that Battalion Recon gets pretty much the same training as Force Recon, but a different mission. Anyway either one is very impressive in my books.

By the way, just ignore the bores - or ban them if you have the urge. :thumbsup:

In my day, battalion recon did not normally jump, but the rest of the training was the same (I personally got my lead jump wings at Ft. Benning, but my gold wings with Air Delivery, not with recon). Battalion recon supported a division while Force supported a larger combined force. Force recon's mission tended to be further out than battalion, but other than that, yes, they pretty did the same thing.

Now, with the Marine Corps Special Forces Command, I think Force does more purely intelligence gathering, but to be honest, I am not all that connected anymore to their current missions.

And now back to your previously scheduled thread about free drinks for SEALs. :)

I'll buy one round based upon that, but sorry no all nighter. You understand. :)

Thanks for your service.

I'm a cheap date. One Coke Lite is enough for me. :)

(As an aside, having been to BUD/S, even just the 3-week indoc course, I know enough of SEAL culture and the training lingo to catch all the wannabe SEALS I have met over the years. It is pretty fun to debunk them.)

First I usually figure out if they were even in the military, then if they were a SEAL/whatever. Takes two innocent sounding questions, three max. If they don't pass, I leave it alone and leave them alone. Haven't met many of these guys though. Actually heard about more of them when I was in the military. Every now and then some guy would get in trouble for wearing a trident on his uniform but idiots like that would have run into trouble eventually any way.

With roughly 4 out of 5 people in Thai bars being current or former special forces, you could be broke by morning. But I appreciate the sentiment.

What about the 1 in 5 of us who work for the CIA? Do we get free drinks too?

ASIO meself......attracts a better class of jargoner.

Interesting.

I still can’t get my head around how ASIO bypasses the inherently high latency and poor quality mixing and sample rate conversion of Windows audio mixing kernels allowing direct, high speed communication with audio hardware.