A Pattaya Taxi "Meter" Driver Speaks

Jingthing

for me this would not impact bahtbus at all, the most impacted would be the motorbike taxi drivers, they in my opinion are charging similar prices per journey distance as meter taxi in Bangkok, but in saying that traffic congestion is bad enough in pattaya, if metered taxi was introduced and equal number of baht buses would have to be decommissioned, as it stands now there are far too many baht buses when you consider that at peak times most of them are running around empty causing a hazzard looking for fares - a good start would be to reduce their numbers by at least 50% this would give the remaining bahtbuses better earnings and reduce congestion.

That's exactly what my 6 year old said.

How old is the mayor?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me this would not impact bahtbus at all, the most impacted would be the motorbike taxi drivers, they in my opinion are charging similar prices per journey distance as meter taxi in Bangkok, but in saying that traffic congestion is bad enough in pattaya, if metered taxi was introduced and equal number of baht buses would have to be decommissioned, as it stands now there are far too many baht buses when you consider that at peak times most of them are running around empty causing a hazzard looking for fares - a good start would be to reduce their numbers by at least 50% this would give the remaining bahtbuses better earnings and reduce congestion.

That's exactly what my 6 year old said.

How old is the mayor?

Years ago they discussed reducing the baht bus numbers by 50%. Of course nothing ever came of it, just the same as most needed changes never happen here. They at least need to make the appearance that they are doing something at city hall.

a good start would be to reduce their numbers by at least 50% this would give the remaining bahtbuses better earnings and reduce congestion.

I heard that a baht bus would bring at least THB 500 on a daily basis into the cash register of the bb-mob.

THB 500 x 350 baht buses is THB 175,000 x 365 days = THB 63,875,000.

I suppose that the bb-mob hold no tight to this amount.

But there is a new star on the horizon: The bb-mob are asked by city-hall to take care of the new mono-rail system that will start operation in the year............2025?

So, on the ground 700 baht buses, 25 taxi meters, approx. 2500 motorbike-taxi's, a few coaches of what's left of them and then of course on a higher level, the new monorail.

There's 67 taxi (non) meters on the streets now isn't there?

Oh may be, I've heard of 25 initial taxi-meters............67 is even worse.

It was 25 initially, ie: the first day - all lined up for the media etc. but could easily be 67 or more by now, i have definitely seen the numbers up as far as 60 something! Baht bus numbers are up close to 1000!!!!

I have always said get rid of half the baht buses to ease traffic, such a simple solution that would make such a difference to the city centre traffic flow, but alas, it will never happen! :annoyed:

Price in advance?

Choices,

Massive Rip Off

Shocking Rip Off

Rip Off You can stomach if you hold your nose

How about meters? How about a fair price? In Pattaya, you can't really negotiate that as they have fixed the game.

always agree price in advance

Not in Pattaya.

Don't you know yet about the "untold" law that if you open your mouth for any given reason you then MUST pay 10 or 20 times the standard fare for exactly the same route? to this you have to add that they have full support from the local and foreigner police/volounteers...

Not in Pattaya. Don't you know yet about the "untold" law that if you open your mouth for any given reason you then MUST pay 10 or 20 times the standard fare for exactly the same route? to this you have to add that they have full support from the local and foreigner police/volounteers...

1- wrong

2- wrong

Please get informed before posting :rolleyes:

It's not that simple.

Baht buses act as charter taxis and regular buses. It IS true if you speak to a driver and call a destination that sometimes he may turn you into a charter taxi fare, and sometimes even keep operating as a bus for other passengers. I have seen this myself a number of times with gullible tourists. Riders paying 10 baht and the talkers being quoted 100 on set routes. The baht buses are situational and the drivers generally will take advantage if and when they can.

This thread is supposed to be about the actual taxi CARS though. Obviously if you get into a taxi car that doesn't use meters, which they never do here, you will be having a conversation about the fare. Generally the driver will tell you his absurd price and then you can take it, leave it, or try to get a small discount.

Edited by Jingthing

Not in Pattaya. Don't you know yet about the "untold" law that if you open your mouth for any given reason you then MUST pay 10 or 20 times the standard fare for exactly the same route? to this you have to add that they have full support from the local and foreigner police/volounteers...

1- wrong

2- wrong

Please get informed before posting :rolleyes:

Yes as a farang i cannot be trusted, so i should not believe myself even if it actually happened to me....ehhhrrmm, i guess you are into the "game" somehow too? what's the % they share for every unsuspecting foreigner getting scammed at the moment? just curious

I agree in general DO NOT talk to baht bus drivers unless your intention is to charter the truck and pay the charter fare.

This could be true if you talk to a parked bahtbus, not one driving on his loop with customers aboard.

I nearly talk to the driver every time because at the North output of Soi Buakao bahtbus can go in 3 possible directions! (West to beach Rd, North to Big C, Est to ex-Carrefour). I never have been ask for more than the 10 baht since years that I use them. Most people living here will tell you the same.

Stop criticize this Pattaya bahtbus system, or at least go see how bad it is in Phuket before try to criticize. :rolleyes:

I like baht buses and appreciate the system when they act as BUSES. But I will criticize them when they deserve it and I don't like to see them rip off tourists by making them pay 100 baht for a 10 baht bus ride, and yes, this does happen.

Edited by Jingthing

I like baht buses and appreciate the system when they act as BUSES. But I will criticize them when they deserve it and I don't like to see them rip off tourists by making them pay 100 baht for a 10 baht bus ride, and yes, this does happen.

Man you've had some bad luck. I've had the occasional 10 baht ride cost me 20 baht - Jomtien at Jomtien complex to the new central on beach rd, yesterday for example. They sometimes do this when there are only two passengers (farang!) to make up for poor business. But they know it is 20 baht only when you reach l soi 6 and second or so..

The result of unclear policies..and unclear information given to the public.

Edited by BugJackBaron

This could be true if you talk to a parked bahtbus, not one driving on his loop with customers aboard.

No! this is TRUE because it happened to me first person, i am not telling that your experience is fake because it was different from mine, when people will finally understand that something that never happened to them before it's not false because it didn't happen to them (yet)? :rolleyes:

The result of unclear policies..and unclear information given to the public.

The message given out from the thai police and foreigner volounteers working in Pattaya was VERY clear ! No possible misunderstanding there, believe me....:ph34r: :ph34r:

Well truth is tourists who dont know any better ask the baht bus driver how much to ??????? Get quoted 100bht+ for a 10bht ride. So yes the drivers to take advantage when opportunity presents itself. :D

Taxi aren't looking for local fares any rate - want to go to airport or bangkok. If they don't then they charge silly rates - I predicted this when Jingy's dream came true long ago. ;)