A Must View For Meat Lovers

tropo

I often buy the expensive beef fillets from Foodland. I was not aware that meat producers often use glue to stick the meat together. I have noticed that when I cut the fillet it often falls into pieces once I've removed the plastic wrap.

Watch this video for a full explanation.

Meat glue exposed

Surely they are using it extensively here in Thailand, and the imported beef is glued together too.

They have been doing this for a while in Australia. It was originally intended for hi end restaurants and butchers to use while making gourmet products, to eliminate offcuts and waste on expensive portions when using such meats as fillet to make mignons ect.

But as usual some unscrupulous operators have used it to glue together bits of inexpensive (treated) meat and shape it like rib-eye, hence bigger profits.

From the report i saw, there is no way of telling if it has been used other than visually (if it is done poorly) ,but health wise it is supposed to be harmless, well...according to them anyway :rolleyes:

The big concern i would have in businesses in Bangkok is that they would probably end up glueing pieces of older discarded cryovac meat waste scraps onto new portions and putting them back in a case or recrovaced again,which could be a very serious health issue.

There has always been cowboys using all sorts of powder and preservatives to disguise colour and smell, this is just gonna make things worse.:annoyed:

Just to add, big companies use a very similiar concepts, but using binders and starches when making value added products. Its nothing new.

Wooloworths and Coles in Australia are well known for this sort of thing. Nowadays a large portion of meat products sold in shrink wrapped bags contain anything upto 200grams of some mysterious "tenderising" liquid they try to pass off as marinade...and $30 a kilo is good profit for liquid

And what about the larger well known companies we all know who make those frozen "chicken" products that actually only have about 25% chicken in them..same same??

Just to add, big companies use a very similiar concepts, but using binders and starches when making value added products. Its nothing new.

Wooloworths and Coles in Australia are well known for this sort of thing. Nowadays a large portion of meat products sold in shrink wrapped bags contain anything upto 200grams of some mysterious "tenderising" liquid they try to pass off as marinade...and $30 a kilo is good profit for liquid

And what about the larger well known companies we all know who make those frozen "chicken" products that actually only have about 25% chicken in them..same same??

That is what concerns me. If they can get away with this in Australia, imagine what they can get away with in Thailand. Do you think the imported meat from Australia, NZ and the USA is glued?

That is what concerns me. If they can get away with this in Australia, imagine what they can get away with in Thailand. Do you think the imported meat from Australia, NZ and the USA is glued?

Knowing Thai business ethics would you expect something else?

Knowing Thai business ethics would you expect something else?

I was talking about imported meat. The question of ethics should be pointed at the exporting nations.

No way, its pretty professional set up, i can say that as a fact having worked in that industry. They have pretty strict controls on the export stuff, it is all inspected and has usually got a sticker with a ID number of the person that inspected it, and can also be traced and accountable from the bar code on the box.

Like i say, the guys in the supermarkets in BK dont seem to have any rules. I can imagine if these guys are trimming stuff all day they might want to create something out of the leftovers..but these guys are only paid in wages from a big comapny, so there is really nothing in it for them by doing this..(and we know what means!)

So maybe we are safe in the foodlands,carefours and villas.

Just one thing though..

Have you ever noticed the little bags they sell cheap.. with all the bits and pieces of offcuts in them that they cant use??...

Once these start dissapearing off the shelves maybe its time to ask the question .;)

Tropo, try Makro's on Sukhumvit south Pattaya. Both local and imported is of good quality, and best of all, well priced. I buy the sirlon, super...... make sure your piece has plenty of streaks of white fat, when BBq'd and seasoned you won't find better. Happy shopping.