Uk Settlement Visa

Hi Folks,

I am looking to apply for my wife's visa in the next 6 months and want to know how much savings I will need. We currently have only around 6,000 pounds saved but worried this will not be enough as we have no jobs to go too.

Here are our circumstances:

1. I am British, my wife is Cambodian.

2. We have been married for 6.5 years.

3. We have 3 children who all hold British Citizen and Passports.

4. We will have plenty supporting documents regarding relationship.

5. We have run a guesthouse business in Cambodia for a number of years.

6. Although, we do not have jobs to go to we want to open out own online consignment business (very low risk).

7 My Mam has offered free rental for as long as we need.

8. My Mam has also offered food if we ever needed it.

9, My Mam lives alone and has plenty room for us which passes the accommodation test.

Basically, we will have everything we need accept our savings seem no where near enough after looking at what other people seem to show in savings. We can not find out how much money we need for our circumstances. I know we need around 275 pounds a week for the 2 of us with 3 kids but I can not find anywhere how long your savings are suppose to last? 6,000 pounds means it will last for about 4 months if we have no rent or council tax to pay., if we do an expected expenditure list would this help?

BTW, we all still live in Cambodia, I do not want to return to the UK by myself first as this will just use up all our savings very quickly.

Any advice?

There is no minimum amount of income or savings required; however you do need to show that you can support yourselves without recourse to public funds. How much individuals need for this depends on their circumstances.

As your mother will be providing you with free lodging, then obviously your requirements will be small; no rent, no council tax, no utilities.

Your mother should write a letter of invitation describing the accommodation and saying who else, if anyone, lives there to show that there is sufficient room for you all and confirming that you will live there rent free. She should provide evidence that she is able to offer the accommodation; either proof of ownership, such as a mortgage statement, or if she rents a letter from her landlord confirming that you can live there.

The Entry Clearance Officer will also take into account both you and your wife's employment prospects. You say that you intend to start a business once in the UK, so I would suggest providing details of this; what, where, how etc. and the income you expect to generate from it.

See Maintenance and accommodation for more.

7x7 is correct, as always. I, however, do have concerns, and I'm sure 7x7 won't mind me expressing them. ECOs can be understanding or not when it comes to assessing the application. In your case I see certain things that may cause the ECO to think more carefully. Firstly, there are your savings, which you agree is not sufficient to last you all for long. Your calculations on how long it will last don't, I think, take your family's airfares to UK into account. The ECO will certainly be looking at that too.

The ECO will look carefully at the accommodation provided by your mother. There is nothing wrong with third-party support but the ECO does tend to look at it from a short to medium term prospect rather than a long term solution to your accommodation difficulties.

7x7 is right to say that the ECO will look at your job prospects. Or, he should. We recently had an application refused where the ECO did not take into account the job prospects for the applicant and sponsor, even though the sponsor had a job offer in the UK. The ECO said, in the refusal notice, that he wasn't satisfied that the sponsor would be able to support the applicant in the short term ( one month until the sponsor's first salary payment !) without recourse to public funds. I tell you this only to point out what can happen. We, naturally, argued this point with the ECM at the British Embassy, and they conceded the point. The visa was issued. If you can provide a job offer ( and even better, a job offer for your wife ) it will go a long way to addressing the potential problem.

It will not be sufficient to say that you hope to start your own business. The ECO will argue that starting a business takes money, and you don't have sufficient savings to start a business and support a family. If your mother has sufficient funds then she can also provide third-party financial support. If you go down that route, then I would suggest that it is a short term remedy only, and you will still have to show ( on paper) that you can support yourself and your family at an early stage.

Without being too negative, I think that 6,000 GBP in savings, and no job offer or prospects, will not satisfy the ECO that you can maintain your family without recourse to public funds.

Edited by VisasPlus

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

7by7, thanks for the info. Do you know though how long does the ECO expect you to have savings to last for? Is it 3 months, 6 months, 1 year or 2 year etc? No one seems to have any idea of this on any of the forums.

I do I need to provide information to the ECO to what they want to hear? Maybe I should provide a C.V rather than tell them I want to do my own business? My business idea needs little or no set up money but if the ECO is not business savvy then he/she is not going to believe my business can generate an income. My C.V reads 10 years in retail management and 8 years in hotel/guesthouse management with flexibility to move anywhere in the UK for a job. Would this be better for the ECO?

If my wife can not get a visa then it will give me no option to go the UK first with my 3 kids who are British citizens. This is liable to cost the government more and me. I need my wife to take care of the kids so I can go to work. A lot of people are playing the system by going to UK first getting a crap job, claiming tax credits etc then say they have enough income to support the spouse so they get their visa so maybe I should just do the same! It would annoy greatly though if I had to do this and instead going over there my family and setting up my business.

Surely, the ECO MUST look at the situation to see it is only my wife's immigration status which is the problem and the rest of the family are British Citizens. We have been married for 6.5 years and have 3 kids so surely it must stand in a much higher stead then someone who has had a Thai/Cambodian girlfriend for 6 months but the sponsor has a shit load of money?

Sorry for the little rant but this is more stress than running my hotel business.

Would 10k be enough do you think?

Cheers

In addition to money, there is another possible (edit) Are you aware that your wife also has to supply a certificate showing that she has passed an English listening and speaking exam at minimum level A1? This is usually the Cambridge KET exam. Is it available in Cambodia?

Edited by 7by7
Offensive, racist term removed

Visa Plus is a professional, and his input is based upon actual experience whereas mine is purely theoretical; so heed what he says.

The ECO expects you to have sufficient savings and/or third party support to last until you have an income to support yourselves. There are many factors used to decide how much this is; your and your wife's employment prospects, unemployment levels in the area where you intend to live and the professions in which you are seeking work, cost of living in the area where you will be living etc.

Your, and your wife's, CV may help here, as would evidence of a job search in the UK; e.g. letters to potential employers.

There is little difference between someone coming to the UK with their children and claiming benefits until they find a job and can afford to have their partner join them and a couple where the partner comes at the same time and the UK partner claims benefits until they find a job. Remember that you can claim any and all benefits to which you may be entitled, and this includes tax credits and child benefit; it is your wife who is prohibited from claiming public funds until she has Indefinite Leave to Remain. However, any application which relied upon public funds the sponsor could claim once in the UK to satisfy the maintenance requirement would, in my opinion, fail.

Surely, the ECO MUST look at the situation to see it is only my wife's immigration status which is the problem and the rest of the family are British Citizens. We have been married for 6.5 years and have 3 kids so surely it must stand in a much higher stead then someone who has had a Thai/Cambodian girlfriend for 6 months but the sponsor has a shit load of money?

What the ECO MUST do is look at each individual application and judge whether or not, on the balance of probabilities, the applicant meets the relevant requirements of the immigration rules.

That you and your wife have been in a long term relationship and have three children means that your wife will find it easier to prove that the relationship is genuine than a couple who have only known each other for a few months; but all settlement applicants need to satisfy the maintenance and accommodation requirements as well, and the more money sponsor and or applicant have then the easier this will be to do.

Your mother may offer financial support as well as accommodation. If she is going to do so then she will have to provide evidence of her ability to do so; bank statements etc.

Would 10k be enough do you think?

£6k, £10k, more? Where has this extra £4k suddenly come from? Show all the funds that you have available.

In addition to money, there is another possible (edit) Are you aware that your wife also has to supply a certificate showing that she has passed an English listening and speaking exam at minimum level A1? This is usually the Cambridge KET exam. Is it available in Cambodia?

Hi Crocodile,

There is no speaking exam available in Cambodia BUT this makes the Cambodian citizens exempt.

Edited by 7by7
Offensive, racist term edited out of quote

Hi 7by7,

I appreciate Visa Plus's reply, I am sorry if my reply sounded though I did not.

I think I need to think about the job side of it more relating job prospects and c.v.s etc. The idea with our own business means we can both work around a kids school times etc. If we both had regular jobs then we would need a child carer which kinda defeats the object of my wife working as we will probably need a child minder.

The extra 4k in money was just a figure that came into my head which we could possibly save before applying.

I really just need some idea of the amount of savings I would need to have before we apply for the visa.

If we have all of the above plus C.Vs, job applications etc then what would be the minimum amount you have in savings before you actually applied?

Thanks

Hi 7by7,

Just reading your quote below:

"There is little difference between someone coming to the UK with their children and claiming benefits until they find a job and can afford to have their partner join them and a couple where the partner comes at the same time and the UK partner claims benefits until they find a job. Remember that you can claim any and all benefits to which you may be entitled, and this includes tax credits and child benefit; it is your wife who is prohibited from claiming public funds until she has Indefinite Leave to Remain. However, any application which relied upon public funds the sponsor could claim once in the UK to satisfy the maintenance requirement would, in my opinion, fail."

Yes, an ECO will knock someone where neither the spouse or sponsor has a job. However, if the sponsor has a job of 16 hours or more then he/she is entitled to Child tax credits and working tax credits? The sponsor can then show he has an income of what the government says is the lowest amount a family of that size should live on. As long as the sponsor does not claim any extra benefits then should satisfy the ECO?

The above seems to be a popular option for a lot of people so they can pass the financial part of the visa application looking at some of the other immigration forums.

However, if we apply for the settlement visa with say 10k, with accommodation sorted, C.Vs, job prospects etc BUT we got refused does this affect us from applying again shortly after? If it affects us then it maybe better for me to go to the UK first.

Thanks

Hi 7by7,

Just reading your quote below:

"There is little difference between someone coming to the UK with their children and claiming benefits until they find a job and can afford to have their partner join them and a couple where the partner comes at the same time and the UK partner claims benefits until they find a job. Remember that you can claim any and all benefits to which you may be entitled, and this includes tax credits and child benefit; it is your wife who is prohibited from claiming public funds until she has Indefinite Leave to Remain. However, any application which relied upon public funds the sponsor could claim once in the UK to satisfy the maintenance requirement would, in my opinion, fail."

Yes, an ECO will knock someone where neither the spouse or sponsor has a job. However, if the sponsor has a job of 16 hours or more then he/she is entitled to Child tax credits and working tax credits? The sponsor can then show he has an income of what the government says is the lowest amount a family of that size should live on. As long as the sponsor does not claim any extra benefits then should satisfy the ECO?

The above seems to be a popular option for a lot of people so they can pass the financial part of the visa application looking at some of the other immigration forums.

However, if we apply for the settlement visa with say 10k, with accommodation sorted, C.Vs, job prospects etc BUT we got refused does this affect us from applying again shortly after? If it affects us then it maybe better for me to go to the UK first.

Thanks

You are getting fixated on this " how much savings ". There is no set amount. For instance, you could have nil savings but starting a job at 100,000 GBP a year. The ECO might consider that sufficient to be able to maintain yourself and your family. Each application is different, and the ECO will weigh up all of the submitted evidence before deciding.

If the visa is refused, then your wife will have a right of appeal against the decision. An appeal takes some months to be heard in the UK, but the decision will be reviewed at the Embassy here before it goes to appeal. Alternatively, she can apply again ( as many times as she wants ), but bear in mind that each application is now costing you around 800 GBP minimum ( add on the cost of TB test, etc ).

Be wary of going down the benefits route. If the visa is refused on the grounds that the ECO suspects that your benefits are not sufficient to support your wife, etc, then it can be difficult to persuade the ECO ( at any later review) or an Immigration Judge ( at an appeal ) otherwise.

Hi Visa Plus,

Thanks for the information. I get what you are saying now.

I think by the sounds of it a monthly expected expenditure list would be very good to show to the ECO? With enough savings to that covers at least 9 months if not a year which gives me plenty time to find a job. Also, my C.V with job aspects, willingness to move anywhere in UK, job applications, etc. Accommodation available until I find a job with a letter from my Mam with here offer plus a copy of the deeds of her house.

Thanks,

Hi Visa Plus,

Thanks for the information. I get what you are saying now.

I think by the sounds of it a monthly expected expenditure list would be very good to show to the ECO? With enough savings to that covers at least 9 months if not a year which gives me plenty time to find a job. Also, my C.V with job aspects, willingness to move anywhere in UK, job applications, etc. Accommodation available until I find a job with a letter from my Mam with here offer plus a copy of the deeds of her house.

Thanks,

You are on the right lines, but job applications will not do. The ECO will argue that you can apply for as many jobs as you like, but you may not get one. You really need to show a job to go to, or the offer of a job. And, with respect to you, the ECO will not be interested in your CV. He wants to see that you will have an income ( or other support).

Hi Crocodile,

There is no speaking exam available in Cambodia BUT this makes the Cambodian citizens exempt.

Since you are talking about the mother of your children, I assume you want her to get "indefinite leave to remain". You really do need to check out the UK Border Agency Website at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/settlementguide

As of November 2010 she will need a certificate showing that she has passed an English listening and speaking exam at minimum level A1.Cambodia is not on the list of exempt countries.

I am going through this process myself right now with my wife of 11 years who has travelled all over the world with me, including the UK, but as a tourist.

Long term residents of Cambodia are exempt from the English requirement.

Hi Crocodile,

Since you are talking about the mother of your children, I assume you want her to get "indefinite leave to remain". You really do need to check out the UK Border Agency Website at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/settlementguide

As of November 2010 she will need a certificate showing that she has passed an English listening and speaking exam at minimum level A1.Cambodia is not on the list of exempt countries.

I am going through this process myself right now with my wife of 11 years who has travelled all over the world with me, including the UK, but as a tourist.

hi returnee

all the above very good advice. also could you not get any friends, family, friends of family etc in the UK to give you a letter offering you a job? my cousin's wife got her settlement visa in 2 days with only 4000UK in the bank, and a job offer, it was only shop work i think and he has a teaching degree so he had no intention of taking that job but it worked, they were going to stay at their folks too and had two kids, a real job offer will improve chances loads, i'm about to apply with only 3000 in bank but have two (real) job offers as i was just working in uk and am reasonably hopeful. good luck

Edited by leafmould

Since you are talking about the mother of your children, I assume you want her to get "indefinite leave to remain". You really do need to check out the UK Border Agency Website at http://www.ukvisas.g...settlementguide

From British embassy, Phnom Pehn

Long-term residents in Cambodia who are applying from Cambodia for a visa as a partner of a British Citizen or person settled in the UK are currently exempt from the English language test requirement. Due to lack of availability of UK Border Agency approved English language test providers in Cambodia you do not need to provide an English language test certificate with your application.

The A1 test is not a requirement for Indefinite Leave to Remain or to Enter. For these one needs Knowledge of language and life in the UK (KOL). As one can only take this test or course in the UK then, unless the OP's wife has done so on a previous visit, she will not be given ILE. Instead, assuming the other requirements are met, she will be given ILE subject to KOL. Once she has satisfied KOL she can then apply for ILR without having to satisfy the 24 month residency requirement.

Hi Leafmould,

Thanks for info about the job situation.

Can I just confirm who had the job offer the sponsor or the one applying for the visa?

If it is the sponsor then surely the ECO would NOT pass the spouse's visa if the sponsor was only working part time in a shop? I thought the job had to be a full time job or a job which covers the minimum income which the government says that the family should live on?

7by7 and Visa Plus,

Thanks for your info so far, I really appreciate it.

Can you please clarify for me? I was always led to believe that a job offer had to be full time or at least generate a decent salary, is this right? I have a large network of old business colleagues who I used to work with, it will not be easy to get a full time job offer but it should be possible for me to get a part time job, although wages will be poor (close to minimum wage). Would this be a help? I actually used to be a manager for Tesco and worked in a number of stores so I have a big network of old friends/colleagues (not that I have been in touch with many). If this is the case then I will get on that horrible social network site "facebook" to see if I can contact any of them. Many of them should be in very good positions now with a lot of power for hiring people.

Thanks again,

Returntotheuk, you have got it into your head that there is a minimum figure; despite both VP and myself repeatedly telling you that there is not.

MAA4 Maintenance: General requirements

There is no explicit minimum figure for what represents sufficient maintenance. If dependants of the main applicant are going to accompany him / her to the United Kingdom, resources must be available for the whole family unit to be maintained.

The ECO should bear in mind the position taken by the UK Asylum and Immigration Tribunal (UKAIT):

In 2006, the UKAIT in UKAIT 00065 KA and Others (Pakistan), strongly suggested that it would not be appropriate to have immigrant families existing on resources that were less than the Income Support level for a British family of that size.

More information is available on the British & Irish Legal Information Institute website (BAILII)

If it is more likely than not that the total amount that the applicant and sponsor will have to live on will be below what the income support level would be for a British family of that size, then it may be appropriate to refuse the application on maintenance and accommodation grounds.

Maintenance may be provided by either:

• The applicant with their own funds or with funds available to them; or
  • The sponsor; or
  • A combination of applicant and sponsor funds; or
  • Third party support (see below).
    A couple or other applicant who is/are unable to produce sufficient evidence to meet the maintenance requirement may provide an undertaking from members of their families that those members will support the couple/ applicant until they are able to support themselves from their own resources.
    Third party support is not precluded from consideration under the maintenance requirements relating to spouses, civil partners, fiancé(e)s, proposed civil partners, unmarried partners, same-sex partners, children, parents, grandparents and other dependent relatives of sponsors who are settled in the UK.
    The Entry Clearance Officer will need to verify and assess an offer of third party support in order to determine whether an applicant satisfies the requirement that he/ she can be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds. The ECO may request evidence (e.g. original bank statements over at least three months) of the third party's assets.

Whether any employment is full or part time is irrelevant; as long as all the finances available from all sources are sufficient to support yourselves without recourse to public funds.

Can I just confirm who had the job offer the sponsor or the one applying for the visa?

If it is the sponsor then surely the ECO would NOT pass the spouse's visa if the sponsor was only working part time in a shop? I thought the job had to be a full time job or a job which covers the minimum income which the government says that the family should live on?

i don't think i said it was a part time job. I simply know that the sponser was offered a job (not even sure it was a real job but they could confirm it was real business, callable phone numbers etc and i guess he could have taken it if needed) and the guy who was a friend of his folks owned some shops or maybe an amusment arcade, not sure now, it could have been cashier or manager position, i don't know but yes i assume it was a liveable income. all i'm saying is that an offer of a checkable job is much more concrete evidence than unstarted selfemployment, the ECO need certainty not hopes, however promising. i don't see why the applyee couldn't have a job lined up too, my wife was offered work in a restraunt while she was visiting the UK and we could use that as potential future income too.

Edited by leafmould

i don't think i said it was a part time job. I simply know that the sponser was offered a job (not even sure it was a real job but they could confirm it was real business, callable phone numbers etc and i guess he could have taken it if needed) and the guy who was a friend of his folks owned some shops or maybe an amusment arcade, not sure now, it could have been cashier or manager position, i don't know but yes i assume it was a liveable income. all i'm saying is that an offer of a checkable job is much more concrete evidence than unstarted selfemployment, the ECO need certainty not hopes, however promising. i don't see why the applyee couldn't have a job lined up too, my wife was offered work in a restraunt while she was visiting the UK and we could use that as potential future income too.

Hi Leafmould,

Thanks for your email.

My understanding now is that the ECO only needs to know you can support your family without any "Recourse to Public Funds".

So, this means any combination of a salary, savings plus suitable & acceptable accommodation which supports us and is at least the minimum amount which the government says a family of that size should be living on should be enough to convince the ECO.

So even if I had any kind of job offer would be a help as it is still some sort of income, then my savings would be on top of the salary I would be getting. At least if I have something to go to when I arrive, I can then look for something once I am there.

Thanks, to you all for the info.

Edited by returntotheuk

Hi to to OP

If your Hotel/Guest House in Cambodia did not work, why are you sure you internet business will work in the UK? and if it can, why not just do it from Cambodia and avoid all this trouble?

Edited by Windynoi

Hi to to OP

If your Hotel/Guest House in Cambodia did not work, why are you sure you internet business will work in the UK? and if it can, why not just do it from Cambodia and avoid all this trouble?

Who said my guesthouse or hotel did not work? The hotel and our last guesthouse were both very successful which allowed us to have a comfortable lifestyle. We have managed to save a bit money and we have a number of assets (mostly land which is not selling at the moment).

The internet business plan would not work in Cambodia, the business was planned purely for when we go to the UK. After working for myself for 8 years, I would prefer to work for myself as I enjoy it more but it is not essential. If I was not sure the business would work then I would NOT do it. The business has took 6 months to plan and I have done businesses before so know what it takes to make them work.

We think it is best for our kids to be brought up in the UK.

7x7 is correct, as always. I, however, do have concerns, and I'm sure 7x7 won't mind me expressing them. ECOs can be understanding or not when it comes to assessing the application. In your case I see certain things that may cause the ECO to think more carefully. Firstly, there are your savings, which you agree is not sufficient to last you all for long. Your calculations on how long it will last don't, I think, take your family's airfares to UK into account. The ECO will certainly be looking at that too.

The ECO will look carefully at the accommodation provided by your mother. There is nothing wrong with third-party support but the ECO does tend to look at it from a short to medium term prospect rather than a long term solution to your accommodation difficulties.

7x7 is right to say that the ECO will look at your job prospects. Or, he should. We recently had an application refused where the ECO did not take into account the job prospects for the applicant and sponsor, even though the sponsor had a job offer in the UK. The ECO said, in the refusal notice, that he wasn't satisfied that the sponsor would be able to support the applicant in the short term ( one month until the sponsor's first salary payment !) without recourse to public funds. I tell you this only to point out what can happen. We, naturally, argued this point with the ECM at the British Embassy, and they conceded the point. The visa was issued. If you can provide a job offer ( and even better, a job offer for your wife ) it will go a long way to addressing the potential problem.

It will not be sufficient to say that you hope to start your own business. The ECO will argue that starting a business takes money, and you don't have sufficient savings to start a business and support a family. If your mother has sufficient funds then she can also provide third-party financial support. If you go down that route, then I would suggest that it is a short term remedy only, and you will still have to show ( on paper) that you can support yourself and your family at an early stage.

Without being too negative, I think that 6,000 GBP in savings, and no job offer or prospects, will not satisfy the ECO that you can maintain your family without recourse to public funds.

Has your Mother any savings ?

The sponsor could travel ahead of his wife and secure employment & then apply.

Hi Thaivisaexpress,

Thanks for reply.

Firstly, I am not sure about my mothers savings but I do not want to use her savings as any kind of guarantee anyway.

The idea of going to the UK first is a possibility BUT it is a the last option, I would not want to leave my young family for any length of time if I can help it. Not to mention the extra costs involved of running 2 households here and the UK.

Although it maybe difficult to get a full time job offer from a company in the UK without going to the UK first, I should be able to get a part tie job offer. Do you think this would help? If I manage to get nearer the 10k GBP and I have some sort of income then would this give me a good chance? I used to be a manager in big supermarket company so have a lot of old colleagues who I could contact about getting some kind of job offer, a full time job would be harder to get though unless I actually go to the UK.

I know the lowest income which the government says a family of 5 should live on is 275 GBP per week after accommodation has been paid for. So if I had a part time job which earned say 100 GBP a week but made the 175 quid up from my savings and it was enough to last at least one year then would that be acceptable do you think? This means I would need around 9,100 GBP as the job would get me 52 x 100 = 5,200 which equals 52 x 275 GBP per week.

Having read the guidance now a good few times then the above should be enough for it to be accepted. It could depend on the type of day the ECO is having!

I will hold back on my new business until I am settled a bit more.

Thanks

We have just processed a successful application for an applicant who had two children without a job.

The main point here is only 1 applicant has no recourse to public funds the children are British citizens ?

You could get a job part time and perhaps claim working tax credits (Subject to meeting the requirement)for the children they are British citizens, this is your entitlement.

So in answer to your question what I see no reason why you would not get the visa you require.

wtc1.pdf

Edited by ThaiVisaExpress

The sponsor has 3 children British Citizens he can various tax credits if he works for the children.

Edited by ThaiVisaExpress

Hi Thaivisaexpress,

Thanks for reply.

Firstly, I am not sure about my mothers savings but I do not want to use her savings as any kind of guarantee anyway.

The idea of going to the UK first is a possibility BUT it is a the last option, I would not want to leave my young family for any length of time if I can help it. Not to mention the extra costs involved of running 2 households here and the UK.

Although it maybe difficult to get a full time job offer from a company in the UK without going to the UK first, I should be able to get a part tie job offer. Do you think this would help? If I manage to get nearer the 10k GBP and I have some sort of income then would this give me a good chance? I used to be a manager in big supermarket company so have a lot of old colleagues who I could contact about getting some kind of job offer, a full time job would be harder to get though unless I actually go to the UK.

I know the lowest income which the government says a family of 5 should live on is 275 GBP per week after accommodation has been paid for. So if I had a part time job which earned say 100 GBP a week but made the 175 quid up from my savings and it was enough to last at least one year then would that be acceptable do you think? This means I would need around 9,100 GBP as the job would get me 52 x 100 = 5,200 which equals 52 x 275 GBP per week.

Having read the guidance now a good few times then the above should be enough for it to be accepted. It could depend on the type of day the ECO is having!

I will hold back on my new business until I am settled a bit more.

Thanks

I would suggest your Mother offers financial support if required as well as accommodation.

We have just processed a successful application for an applicant who had two children without a job.

The main point here is only 1 applicant has no recourse to public funds the children are British citizens ?

Hi ThaiVisaExpress,

Yes, only my wife is applying for the visa. Our 3 children are ALL British citizens.

Surely, the ECO would use commonsense when there are children involved who are British Citizens. If we had income/savings of (275 GPB per week), which would last for about a year, then it should be sufficient to convince the ECO on the maintenance part of the visa?

Thanks