Joe Conrad Magic

lufc74

I guess he will be about as successful as the Oktoberfest.(If someone can still remember that one.) :blink:

Oh yes, I remember that one. Leased the land for 10 years (at big cost), bought a second hand big tent structure, lasted a year. Now the land has been cleared waiting for the next one to come along.

I think one of the major problems at the Bavaria Beer House (?) was that they did not sell German beer, were way too costly (food and drink) and did not have sufficient live entertainment - not to mention poor location. I went once - to never return.

I think one of the major problems at the Bavaria Beer House (?) was that they did not sell German beer, were way too costly (food and drink) and did not have sufficient live entertainment - not to mention poor location. I went once - to never return.

That sounds more like 4 major problems to me and certainly not a recipe for success.

With the magic show I can fully understand a short run and seeing the reality of ticket sales reassessment.

But the one that baffles me, is how many businesses invest so much on the startup, but seem to have no budget to allow for the growth or expansion phase when they are not know. Open, 3 months later closed. Surely the vast amount of investment some of these things put in, has a lead time to achieve profitability.

BTW whats the status on the Kathu water park. Work appeared to stop about 18 months ago and I never heard if it restarted. Big money was being put into that site.

Another foreign investor,dreaming,another white elephant,big losses.. another comcrete grave yard...they must have money to burn or maybe some other investors money, it certainly wont be Thai money..

I went to this show just over a week ago. I payed 900 baht per ticket. No one told me about any discount for ex pats so I'm a bit niffed to say the least as i bought 6 tickets. The show itself was a waste of money and Joe Conrad looked a poor mans David Copperfield. Infact I have seen better magicians at kids birthday parties! The 'levitation' at the end was a laugh.... Anyone could see a mile off that the girl was being lifted by some contraption behind the curtain.

There was about 25 people at the show so we did rattle about at bit but I don't think anyone was enthusiastic and the applause was quite muted. Half the show was taken up by dancing girls, about the same age as my Mom some of them!

CONCLUSION.... GIVE IT A MISS AND SAVE YOURSELF SOME MONEY.

• 4 months later...

Another one bites the dust.

Apparently Joe Conrad has 'vanished' into thin air.

Website has been taken down.

People who were predicting 9 months were right by the looks of things.

I did go to his show once and it was a bit lame.

Not many positive comments on trip adviser either.

Hope the guy didn't lose too much of his own money.

Badly thought out, seemingly no business plan, pretty poor magic tricks. Must try harder next time !

Much like the Chalong Stunt show, and the October beerfest in Patong. just to name some of the recent failures.

Yes, sadly true. It's always a heck of a shame when someone has an idea that is different from other things, and it fails. Feel sorry for all these guys to be honest.

There is a lot of 'same same' in Phuket. We need variety !

Slightly off topic, went to Siam Naramit last night (Thai historical culture show) They've taken a HUGE plot on the bypass road (Near Hino trucks). There were only about 50 people in the audience. Hope it doesn't go the same way as Joe Conrad, Stunt Show and Beerfest or all we will be left with is streets and streets of sameness !

If you by saying the new show in Bangla means magicitian Joe Labero, I think his show will be much better after reading what people think after visiting the Joe Conrad-show. Joe Labero is from Sweden, and very popular in Scandinavia. According to his website he had some shows in Bangkok before coming til Phuket, so he is here just on a tour.

• 4 months later...
Seems from 'the news site we dont name' that both Larero has shut down and Conrad performed one last trick and vanished ??

Bang on with the one high season assessments.

Saw the Larero building on bangla abandoned. Nobody comes to a tropical island for magic. Lots of money squandered

Seems from 'the news site we dont name' that both Larero has shut down and Conrad performed one last trick and vanished ??

Bang on with the one high season assessments.

Saw the Larero building on bangla abandoned. Nobody comes to a tropical island for magic. Lots of money squandered

No the problem is that most people with money stay far away from any city or jetstar type cheap tourist

Normal people might show off a bit at central with their shopping bags but those are things they will re-use. They cant afford overpriced magic shows. Other tropical destinations with shows are having no problem.

Edited by Hostile17

I guess he will be about as successful as the Oktoberfest.(If someone can still remember that one.)

My astute financial skill tells me that Oktoberfest failed because the promotional billboards depicted buxom German barmaids, as opposed to the local variety.....

Coals to Newcastle and all that :)

... went to Siam Naramit last night ... There were only about 50 people in the audience

Perhaps a business name that makes more sense to non-Thais might help?? ie - Use an English language name that 'does what it says'

Phuket Fantasea is a far better name IMHO. Siam Naramit should be renamed something like 'Siam Extravaganza' or 'Sensational Siam'

BTW, I am available for marketing consultancy, best rates (that's a joke for any mods who do not understand my SOH)

Edited by simon43

I guess he will be about as successful as the Oktoberfest.(If someone can still remember that one.)

My astute financial skill tells me that Oktoberfest failed because the promotional billboards depicted buxom German barmaids, as opposed to the local variety.....

Coals to Newcastle and all that smile.png

Oktoberfest failed because if was a low class dump. Anyone could have predicted it's demise.