Thaksin Offers Easy Credit, Credit Cards For Taxi Drivers

webfact

Thaksin offers easy credit, credit cards for taxi drivers

By Praphan Chindalert-udomdee

The Nation

30154812-01.jpg

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday promised his taxi-driver vote base he would launch a tax refund campaign for first-time car buyers, credit cards for taxi drivers and personal loans that allow cross guarantees.

Through video-link at Imperial World Lat Phrao, Thaksin and some Pheu Thai MPs listened to problems raised by an audience of taxi and motorcycle taxi drivers and told them how the party would help.

"Farmers will be getting credit cards, now taxi drivers should get them, too," Thaksin said. The credit card would be for fuel costs, Thaksin said, adding that he did not want to give out details for fear that rival parties would copy the policies.

Bangkok MP Anudith Nakornthap said the tax refund campaign would be provided for first-time car buyers, no matter whether the car was for personal use or to be hired. Excise tax would be cut so car prices would fall.

Thaksin gave the example that the cost of a new taxi could be reduced from Bt900,000 to a little over Bt600,000 after the excise tax refund.

Addressing the problem of drivers being unable to get loans to buy taxis as they could not find a guarantor, Thaksin said his policies would allow fellow taxi drivers to cross guarantee for the loans, even though they were all borrowers.

Thaksin said if Pheu Thai formed the government, he would reorganise government agencies and stop the practice of positions being brought, which was corruption that led to officers bullying taxi drivers.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-07

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vote buying disguised as credit.

Things Taxin failed to mention:

1) high interest of course

2) late payment fees

3) higher cash advance fees

4) annual fee

5) direct bill pay from bank account, so there is no escape.

Edited by webfact

The credit card would be for fuel costs, Thaksin said, adding that he did not want to give out details for fear that rival parties would copy the policies.

What a patriot! If it's that great an idea and it's good for the people, how sleazy is it that he refused to share it? If he really cared wouldn't he want his great idea implemented by any party in power? Strange politics here indeed. Also raises doubts, do these supposed "details" even exist or if they do would they expose what a horrible idea it really is?

Edited by Jingthing

keep it up Thaksin,

EC is watching a 5 year banned politician campaigning for Phua Thai

if you were to win, the party will be dissolved because of you and you will have hung yourself with your own rope.................

"copying" the idea!!!!!........ ......

is this a good one?

have Taksin studied thoroughly on "the taxi's credit card"? Nope.....i feel it

he will cause them more problems.

they need money management and lots of self-discipline before that.

say not everyone should have credit card(s)..

only fuel payment...... is it worth havin'?

the vat refund is ok... will support

whatta hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

police and scam other police! Buying Post........

I was always taught, by both friends and family that if you ever get into debt and want to get out of it one of the first things you do is cut up your credit cards and never use them again. It seems very ironic that such a distinguished business man is encouraging debt amongst those he seeks to help. I think the idea of a taxi driver using his taxi (as capital assume) as a guarantee against another taxi drivers loan to buy a taxi is a good idea in principle, but I'm not sure the banks will go for it, which means in order to keep this promise, the government (or taxpayer) wold ultimately be underwriting this loan for the banks. How much tax does the average taxi driver contribute per month, anyone any ideas?

One other quick thought, how will the PTP grantee that the credit card will only be used for fuel cost and not clothes, food and alcohol? Will the Credit card only be valid at petrol stations?

Edited by jonclark

keep it up Thaksin,

EC is watching a 5 year banned politician campaigning for Phua Thai

if you were to win, the party will be dissolved because of you and you will have hung yourself with your own rope.................

That is exactly what I thought

How can a banned politician be making these kind of statements

The why is easy - his real thought process is "me me me me ......"

Bye bye PTP

Not only will the lose the coming election IMO

After the election - PTP go bye bye - disolved

I was always taught, by both friends and family that if you ever get into debt and want to get out of it one of the first things you do is cut up your credit cards and never use them again. It seems very ironic that such a distinguished business man is encouraging debt amongst those he seeks to help. I think the idea of a taxi driver using his taxi (as capital assume) as a guarantee against another taxi drivers loan to buy a taxi is a good idea in principle, but I'm not sure the banks will go for it, which means in order to keep this promise, the government (or taxpayer) wold ultimately be underwriting this loan for the banks. How much tax does the average taxi driver contribute per month, anyone any ideas?

One other quick thought, how will the PTP grantee that the credit card will only be used for fuel cost and not clothes, food and alcohol? Will the Credit card only be valid at petrol stations?

I don't think it's too ironic, it's going to create indentured servitude amongst the lower classes now. The ignorant who can't understand how being a guarantor or borrower works will now be acting like mini bank for each other, and working the rest of their lives to pay off some debt. He's trapping them is what he's doing. I agree with you on your points completely, but he won't share his ideas cause he doesn't want the rest of Thailand ripping them to shreds. I hope PT gets kicked out for using a convicted criminal and banned politician to campaign for them, and promise the poor everything except what they need - education, possibly a pay increase, and honest people to look out for them.

Edited by REM
  • Like 1

I hope you gents realize it is not what he does but what he says!!!!

If anything he has set specific target groups and is offering them what they want to hear.

The fact that he will most likely not deliver is not important at the moment, the whole idea is just to win so he can return and make up for the losses.

I am starting to get a feeling that he just may be able to pull this one and win the elections.

I do not understand though, why Dems have not been moving more aggressively to counter that?

If anything he has set specific target groups and is offering them what they want to hear.

The fact that he will most likely not deliver is not important at the moment, the whole idea is just to win so he can return and make up for the losses.

I am starting to get a feeling that he just may be able to pull this one and win the elections.

I do not understand though, why Dems have not been moving more aggressively to counter that?

no need, if they were to win the party will be dissolved for allowing a banned politician to campaign for them...............

no need, if they were to win the party will be dissolved for allowing a banned politician to campaign for them...............

...and then history will repeat itself.. :ph34r:

Thats exactly what i am saying, why not be proactive? rather then allow for the messblink.gif

i think Thaksin offering this kind of deal to taxi drivers is contemptuous of taxi drivers in general

he obviously thinks they are all stupid to not see this scheme for what it is

Abhisit has put billions on the table at low interest rates to try to get people like taxi drivers out of debt and the hands of loan sharks

Thaksin wants to put them back under the debt thumb..........

i think Thaksin offering this kind of deal to taxi drivers is contemptuous of taxi drivers in general

Abhisit has put billions on the table at low interest rates to try to get people like taxi drivers out of debt and the hands of loan sharks

I hate to say it, but it seems he knows his people very well, and sadly enough he( Thaksin) is correct about his people

Thats exactly what i am saying, why not be proactive? rather then allow for the messblink.gif

maybe because the 'mess' helps maintaining the status quo? :whistling:

there is a hidden benefit.

purchasing communication devices from his firm....in additional to the fuel charge.

like what he did with Thai Com Sat in regional Aust. in exchange for the free trade agreement

my logic is that!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by dunkin2012

I hate to say it, but it seems he knows his people very well, and sadly enough he( Thaksin) is correct about his people

To my mind ALL Thaksins video links and any sort of broadcasts should be banned. He is the complete trouble maker, and a convicted man---why is he allowed to keep influencing the poor people here, They still believe in him he knows it. A good percentage of his voters cannot read, and money handouts are their only interest, he always picks the weakest to gain support and power.

Normally if one is banished from a country (self imposed or not) one fades away

Thaksin is employing the use of modern technology to ensure this doesn't happen

Ably assisted by the Thaksin haters on Tvisa who ensure he is constantly to the forefront in the headlines of the news and posts.......:)

The credit card would be for fuel costs, Thaksin said, adding that he did not want to give out details for fear that rival parties would copy the policies.

What a patriot! If it's that great an idea and it's good for the people, how sleazy is it that he refused to share it? If he really cared wouldn't he want his great idea implemented by any party in power? Strange politics here indeed. Also raises doubts, do these supposed "details" even exist or if they do would they expose what a horrible idea it really is?

And of course what seems to be forgotten is 'help' for selected people/groups. And some how magically it's a large group and most of the group, because of the history of the last 10 years and because of the known fact that most taxi drivers are fairly poorpeople with little education, from Essan (nothing wrong with Essan), they struggle to survive, will be supportive of thaksin.

In a real democracy (which of course thaksin, pt and the reds claim to be the champion of) everything is fair for all. In other words no selective freebies / no special treatment for selected groups, a fair playing field for every member of society.

So here we see again thaksins own double standards, and don't forget a few months back one of the major war cries of the reds and their pt buddies was 'no double standards'.

If thaksin was genuine to help taxi drivers he would focus on the way they are ripped off by the so called 'taxi co-operatives' which in fact are not co-operatives, they are privately owned companies, which rent taxis by the day to taxi drivers at exorbetant rates and with all sorts of penalties if the drivers don't toe the line.

Ask a few taxi drivers who will talk openly about the promises thaksin made to taxi drivers before he was ousted. Lucky draws (taxi drivers only) to get free cars and free houses (but of course what thaksin didn't mention was that taxpayers funds would be used to pay for these things).

The bottom line, nothing ever happened, just more empty promises just like thakins much heralded Asian Leadership institute and mass numbers of free scholarships. Nothing ever happened past a partly completed website which is now for sale.

Surely the answer to reducing Thailand's income gap and therefore gaining a better quality of life is better education and better education in every part of Thailand plus government policies which ensure that their is equal job opportunity spread right across the country (it has been done successfully in other countries), in other words build the capability of all Thais and provide more and evenly spread work opportunites, so that a very very large percentage of all Thais have the opportunity to build a good quality of life through their own productivity.

Everybody should avoid voting for this stupid Thaksin's party......and please speard this word around........as a middle-class Bangkokian.......and also having friends who I would term as coming from the less privileged classes, the Taxi Drvers and motor-taxi drivers are the worst Basta___! No govt has ever taken the stance of improving the taxi services....you have taxis that behave like mafias! Most of these taxis are also very rich.....trying flagging a taxi thats empty and most of the time they will decide not to take you if they are not in the mood or if the think that its too inconvenient for them. I would suggest everybody getting a car ...its easy these days esp for new ones as the payment terms are easy even for foreigners as long as you have a Thai guarantor ....and simply boycott these taxis and let them starve. Do not contribute to charity organiosations or foundations that support these trash or their families or offsprings....let them starve and die! I am sorry ...but I get very emotional after the issues that I have had with these local taxis.

Also , perharps , everyone should start boycotting paying taxes since the govts are also using it the wrong way.

Everybody should avoid voting for this stupid Thaksin's party......and please speard this word around........as a middle-class Bangkokian.......and also having friends who I would term as coming from the less privileged classes, the Taxi Drvers and motor-taxi drivers are the worst Basta___! No govt has ever taken the stance of improving the taxi services....you have taxis that behave like mafias! Most of these taxis are also very rich.....trying flagging a taxi thats empty and most of the time they will decide not to take you if they are not in the mood or if the think that its too inconvenient for them. I would suggest everybody getting a car ...its easy these days esp for new ones as the payment terms are easy even for foreigners as long as you have a Thai guarantor ....and simply boycott these taxis and let them starve. Do not contribute to charity organiosations or foundations that support these trash or their families or offsprings....let them starve and die! I am sorry ...but I get very emotional after the issues that I have had with these local taxis.

Also , perharps , everyone should start boycotting paying taxes since the govts are also using it the wrong way.

Obviously not an environmentalist..........I guess gridlock and more polluted air is just the thing required for Bangkok........improved innercity rail network is probably a more balanced solution than "everybody getting a car"

Ably assisted by the Thaksin haters on Tvisa who ensure he is constantly to the forefront in the headlines of the news and posts.......:)

Thaksin haters, as you so call them, don't determine what threads are started in the news forum.

Having Taxi Drivers onside is a plus in any election campaign. They have an opportunity to talk to so many people and if a person is undecided, then they might influence them to vote a certain way. Its a plus for Thaksin. How ultimately they are affected is irrelevant if they believe they will be better off. I believe that 'buying' the Taxi Vote has a flow on effect. Every vote counts. Smart move Thaksin.

Thaksin haters, as you so call them, don't determine what threads are started in the news forum.

Funnily enough, they don't determine what's in the news papers either.

Funnily enough, they don't determine what's in the news papers either.

In denial.........popularity of hot discussion topics are obviously attractive to forums.....as you continue to post and keep Thaksin 'to the forefront'.........in the headlines of the news(Thaivisa) you keep the Thaksin threads at the top end of the lists, and in general (Thaivisa) you keep the Thaksin threads at the top of the lists...........do not belittle your input the continuing resurgence of Thaksin saga gentlemen......:) .

Yahoo search

150,000 results for

Thaksin - Thaivisa

:)

Edited by 473geo

I don't think it's too ironic, it's going to create indentured servitude amongst the lower classes now. The ignorant who can't understand how being a guarantor or borrower works will now be acting like mini bank for each other, and working the rest of their lives to pay off some debt. He's trapping them is what he's doing. I agree with you on your points completely, but he won't share his ideas cause he doesn't want the rest of Thailand ripping them to shreds. I hope PT gets kicked out for using a convicted criminal and banned politician to campaign for them, and promise the poor everything except what they need - education, possibly a pay increase, and honest people to look out for them.

It seems that Mr. T has been asleep during the last 4 years of world economic depression, which was caused by easy credit in the USA

credit is not generally a good thing. I am ashamed to admit, that I had to come to Thailand where I was allowed no credit to finally get the mill stone of credit off my neck. thank god after 9 years, I'm free at last bill paid in full. In chiang Mai its almost impossible to be a taxi for local travel, the all park all day waiting for the big tourist traveling to god knows where, and they don't want to use the meter