What Are The Restrictions For Driving A Brand New Car ?

My GF's parents in Sukhothai buy a new car and the GF wants me to go there pick her up and drive with her to Chiang Mai (with the brand new car). I remember there are few restrictions as long the car does not have it's own license plates, such as driving in the dark not allowed, that kind of bullshti, forgot if there are also restrictions regarding going to other provinces etc. ?

Thanks.

I think you are correct. Can't drive in the dark & probably not go to other provinces/districts (although uncertain about the exact restrictions, but remember hearing something about that)..

Apparently thai people also think those red license plates are super cool... :/ (aka. showing off new car)

Vehicles with red plates can only be driven in the province indicated on the plates, between the hours of 6AM and 6PM exclusively.

Additionally, vehicles can only be driven on red plates for a maximum of 30 days, after which the driver is liable for a fine up to 10,000 Baht,

Those are both the official line.. In reality, the further you go North or North East, the more lenient police officers become... Expect a 100-1000 Baht on-the-spot fine if stopped at a checkpoint on the way up or down (100 of the GF is a good negotiator), and I wouldn't expect many problems driving around CM on red plates at all.

In any case, the worst case is a small fine - they're not going to impound the car or lock you up :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I should note that all of the above is only applicable if the car has red plates fitted - many dealerships don't have spares to offer. Note that most dealerships will want a 2,000 - 3,000 Baht deposit for the red plates, should they have spare ones available.

Driving a car with no plates at all will almost definitely cause you a lot of grief, unless it's something so exotic that the police wouldn't dare stop it ;)

[double post]

When I bought my new Toyota Vigo in Udon Thani we didn't get red plates. They did give use a fancy looking letter with stamps and seals on it and told us to show this to the police if we got stopped. Untill we got our regular plates in about 2 months time I got stopped at road blocks several times and showed the letter and was told to carry on, no money being paid. I live in Sahkon Nakhon provice so crossing provincial border didn't seem to be a problem either, nor driving at night although I try avoiding that like the plague. I don't know what the letter said its all in Thai and the wife could never explain in properly to me.

I should note that all of the above is only applicable if the car has red plates fitted - many dealerships don't have spares to offer. Note that most dealerships will want a 2,000 - 3,000 Baht deposit for the red plates, should they have spare ones available.

Driving a car with no plates at all will almost definitely cause you a lot of grief, unless it's something so exotic that the police wouldn't dare stop it ;)

It's very easy, ask for red plates to be fitted to the car. (pay deposit as above) Also ask for red plates (LOG BOOK) fill in the book prior to your journey each time (in pencil) use same page all the time. estimated time arrival, going to, come from, plus plates number. If the police stop you they will ask for this log book anyway, if not filled in (liable for trouble). This is why they stop red plate cars a lot.

You can also travel outside your area with this book!

note time restrictions though and motorway rules? no red plates.

[double post]

When I bought my new Toyota Vigo in Udon Thani we didn't get red plates. They did give use a fancy looking letter with stamps and seals on it and told us to show this to the police if we got stopped. Untill we got our regular plates in about 2 months time I got stopped at road blocks several times and showed the letter and was told to carry on, no money being paid. I live in Sahkon Nakhon provice so crossing provincial border didn't seem to be a problem either, nor driving at night although I try avoiding that like the plague. I don't know what the letter said its all in Thai and the wife could never explain in properly to me.

Probably your compulsory 3rd party insurance papers.

Genrally speaking, the police in the N-E are pretty laid back - the worst case I ever had in Isaan was in Roi Et province one time - there was a checkpoint manned with at least 12 officers - one in particular was obviously a few IQ points better than his colleagues, and stopped us again just as we were pulling away.. but still only 100B for driving on out-of-province red plates after 6PM ;)

It's very easy, ask for red plates to be fitted to the car. (pay deposit as above) Also ask for red plates (LOG BOOK) fill in the book prior to your journey each time (in pencil) use same page all the time. estimated time arrival, going to, come from, plus plates number. If the police stop you they will ask for this log book anyway, if not filled in (liable for trouble). This is why they stop red plate cars a lot.

You can also travel outside your area with this book!

note time restrictions though and motorway rules? no red plates.

In my experience, the log book has only ever been asked for in BKK - I've now driven 13 new cars in TH with red plates (so close to 3 years total on red), and have travelled the length and breadth of TH in them - BKK and surrounding areas are the only police that actually play it by-the-book, the rest are usually pretty easy to get along with ;)

I should note that I've never filled it out, and have only been pulled for it once (200B).

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Once when I came to LOS for a 3-week holiday the hire car I picked up at the airport was brand-new and had red plates. The only thing the hire company guy told me was not to lose the brown book, otherwise nothing about restrictions or filling in the book. In all innocence I drove the car over a large part of Thailand and never had a problem, apart from getting pulled for speeding (which was fair enough, I was).

You will be aware a Red Plate indicates you have no money, and its Dripped,if you buy a car here,you can go to the Office,or insist the Dealer sends someone.Its most efficient, in an hour the plates are made on site.It seems to take longer to fit them in the frame than to gey them.:whistling:

[double post]

Probably your compulsory 3rd party insurance papers.

Genrally speaking, the police in the N-E are pretty laid back - the worst case I ever had in Isaan was in Roi Et province one time - there was a checkpoint manned with at least 12 officers - one in particular was obviously a few IQ points better than his colleagues, and stopped us again just as we were pulling away.. but still only 100B for driving on out-of-province red plates after 6PM ;)

The insurance was a different paper that I could recognize,

The paper with the stamps looked more like something that was suitable for framing. The wife now says its more like a certificate of ownership, that the car has been paid for cash. Every time we showed it at a checkpoint there was a AHHH from the police,big smile and please proceed.

But your right about things being more relaxed up North. Unless I'm going more than 120KM per hour I never pay anything at road block/checkpoints

Drove a new car with a Red Plate all over Isan for two weeks last month. I had read some stories and figured I'd be stopped for something or other. Going through a checkpoint they flagged me over and explained to my girlfriend about the log book not being filled out...200 baht fine. The dealer never mentioned anything about it. I said after we drove off, they were going to find something.

You will be aware a Red Plate indicates you have no money

Really? I wonder if the people that think this way, still think this way when those red plates are on an S-Series, 7-Series, or something like a Porsche Cayenne? ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Generally Expensive cars are Leased or Financed,to a Company,most others a bought on Finance to a Private individuals.Ferangs generally are lead to believe a Red Plate means status by their Women,when in fact it so easy just to pop in the office. My friends Bar Girl Wife went Spare when his new truck came home registerd.Just a passing point.,it happens :whistling:

Generally Expensive cars are Leased or Financed,to a Company,most others a bought on Finance to a Private individuals.Ferangs generally are lead to believe a Red Plate means status by their Women,when in fact it so easy just to pop in the office. My friends Bar Girl Wife went Spare when his new truck came home registerd.Just a passing point.,it happens :whistling:

:cheesy:, feel sorry for your pal, looks like another new ride (motor) for him to be ordered soon. :)

Drove a new car with a Red Plate all over Isan for two weeks last month. I had read some stories and figured I'd be stopped for something or other. Going through a checkpoint they flagged me over and explained to my girlfriend about the log book not being filled out...200 baht fine. The dealer never mentioned anything about it. I said after we drove off, they were going to find something.

I was in exactly the same situation - the dealer did not pre-warn me before we bought (they did after I asked a direct question). Knowing that I was going out of the province I started a thread on here and got the answers I needed (I had the usual misinformed crap that I also see in some of the previous posts :rolleyes:).

I was stopped once in province at a routine check when I had no plates at all (the day the car was delivered). Explained that we bought the car that day and the police just said make sure the red plates are on with 14 days.

I was stopped en-route to Bangkok (we had red plates by then) and showed the 'log book' which was filled in (in Thai as it must be!) correctly.

I was stopped coming back from Bangkok at night and showed the book - again completed correctly with the return journey. The officer said we should not drive at night and obviously expected a 'fine'. I genuinely believed we were fully covered by the 'log book' so I confidently conveyed (via the missus) that the chief of police in Buriram had told me that we could drive anywhere at anytime as long as we had the log book. I persisted and he eventually waved us on.

In all honesty I am now not sure whether driving at night (or on motorways as a previous poster stated) is allowed or not. Bl00dy stupid if you cannot, as I can see no reason why a red-plated car should be treated any differently ??

Transam, no joke she chucked a right hissy fit, shes nasty bag o washing anyway,we thought it was an unlucky No or something like that,it ruined his suprise. I felt awfull for him.:ermm:

Me too now. :crying:

The company tax system in Thailand only has allowances for commercial vehicles and vehicles-for-hire, and substantial fringe benefits style taxes on anything else. That's why most company/fleet vehicles in Thailand are either 2-door pickups, or absolute base models. I don't think there's ever been a company executive in Thailand that's taken a company car over a car allowance.. The vast majority of those expensive cars you're referring to are in fact privately owned.

It's also not just a matter of "popping into the office" to get white plates - the selling dealer must go and present the wholesale invoice for the car with proof of payment before white plates can be issued. As dealers pay on terms, this means it's practically impossible to get white plates on the day, unless the vehicle you've bought is very old stock, or second-hand.

As for bargirls wives, I'll leave you lot to it :D

Well I have got no plates on my Porche Boxster S and I paid cash.:rolleyes:

Hehehe :)

Diecast model? The Boxter S was last imported to TH over 3 years ago now, so either that or it's been sitting in the garage for a while ;)

Diecast model scale 1/24 made in China.:lol: Spot on, it came with the Mobil 1 oil change.B)

Diecast model? The Boxter S was last imported to TH over 3 years ago now, so either that or it's been sitting in the garage for a while ;)

Diecast model scale 1/24 made in China.:lol: Spot on, it came with the Mobil 1 oil change.B)

Diecast model scale 1/24 made in China.:lol: Spot on, it came with the Mobil 1 oil change.B) Sorry internet or computer needs irish screwdriver treatment.

Edited by Kwasaki