Friendship

beano2274

True I see myself as part of the problem, but now I am under the thumb I do not or cannot help him with his money problems. I need the money myself as my Stepfather is terminally Ill and I need to go back to the UK with her indoors.

You're only making things worse by saving this guy from what could have been an eye opener.

I say: Kick him out in cold reality - he needs to take responsibility for his own actions.

To be perfectly honest, you may be part of the problem since you're the one who's been lending him money before.

+1 :thumbsup:

the thing is he has owed me money for a long time now, he owed me a lot before but got his Ex Girlfriend to pay it for him, now he owes me more money.

He does not have a job, I have helped him get many jobs, but he either is late as he has been out the night before, or has something with the female students, and gets the sack.

Last year he got a new passport as his old one had expired, and he had been on overstay for 3 years or more, he got the money from his Mum in the UK, who really could not afford it. He has been working doing work at a few language centres, but not helped him Mum, and now he is on overstay again.

Sounds like a nice guy. :rolleyes:

If a friend wanted to loan money for something important.. ok. But for a prostitute. :bah: Anyway some people dont seem to be able to plan anything.

Yea, but sorry I'd have to nix this one too on the value of getting laid..

If a friend wanted to loan money for something important.. ok. But for a prostitute. :bah: Anyway some people dont seem to be able to plan anything.

What's '' nix '' ? :huh:

The German word for nothing (Nichts) 555

Actually it's Swedish for "no".

Actually it's Swedish for "no".

So what is Warpy trying to say ? ;)

Friends do not ask to borrow money, he was no friend you are better off without him , i would have done the same , As we have been told " The best way to lose friends is to lend money.

That's right. "Neither a borrower nor a lender be"....wise words.

the thing is he has owed me money for a long time now, he owed me a lot before but got his Ex Girlfriend to pay it for him, now he owes me more money.

He does not have a job, I have helped him get many jobs, but he either is late as he has been out the night before, or has something with the female students, and gets the sack.

Last year he got a new passport as his old one had expired, and he had been on overstay for 3 years or more, he got the money from his Mum in the UK, who really could not afford it. He has been working doing work at a few language centres, but not helped him Mum, and now he is on overstay again.

There is something about desperate loser people that scares me, just can`t stand them around me.

The old saying; get involved with losers and they will take you right down into the gutter with them.

They are nothing but trouble and will cause problems for you.

My advice is; avoid this guy, nothing good for you will ever come out of it.

having had a friend (more like troubled unoffically adopted son) do same to me. and not thai, nor in thailand. took a while but now, with every phone call, the answer is NO. when his animals were in medical trouble, i paid the vet direct, so the check/money wouldnt be rolled onwards and outwards to various other 'collecters' that he owed to. since animals are my soft spot, he used that. last time he called, i told him no, and to sell (horse) at a low price, tell the new owners the problems, and let them pay. owes me tons of money, offers to give me a car in exchange for some of the money, but knowing him well, wouldnt touch the car with a ten foot. not stolen but with back tickets and such. recently called for money, told him no. he still owes me a huge amount, wants me to lend him money to pay someone who would do a favour to get his money etc.... someone here on the forum once put it very well: there are those of us that think that to get debts back, u have to keep paying small amounts for various things (invest in something until u get the return), like not to lose track or contact with the person that owes u, but sometmes its better to cut the losses, dont get the money back, but dont lose any more then u have....

i might have paid the girl, after all, she worked, and got taken, not at fault. but would quickly erase my phone number from this guys phone when he isnt looking.

thai guys here always hone in on (thai) hubby with their bad luck stories here, money, doing favours etc (reverse expat syndrome as samran pointed out). hubby says he wouldnt lend in thailand, why here. if soeone is hungry, he'll take him home, feed the guy and send back to where he came from.

bina

True I see myself as part of the problem, but now I am under the thumb I do not or cannot help him with his money problems. I need the money myself as my Stepfather is terminally Ill and I need to go back to the UK with her indoors.

Borrow from a friend?

Borrow from a friend?

I don't borrow money from friends or enemies. If I need something I save for it. I have a savings account just for emergencies however, why should I have to use it all, why can't I use the money he owes me.

So what is Warpy trying to say ? ;)

Actually in American slang it means "write off"... As in no way would I give him funds to get laid when he has other responsibilities he's shunning for the sake of getting laid and a prossie no less..

Friends do not ask to borrow money, he was no friend you are better off without him , i would have done the same , As we have been told " The best way to lose friends is to lend money.

Only strangers do then :blink: ??

Friends borrow money the difference is, they also pay it back with out having to ask for it back..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just wondering was your friend English?.... I am not wanting to sound racist and I do have some English mates in LOS but the 4 or 5 times I have been asked for money from a "friend" on each occasion they were Englishmen.....Hmmmmm I wonder :whistling:

In answer to your question, I would NOT have lent him the money but then again I would not of gone down and met him either without an explanation to what it was he had to tell/ask me....

Now who would have thought anything like that?

Edited by MAJIC

Hubby once "loaned" 1000 baht to a friend like the OP's. I track our expenses on Quicken and I recorded it (correctly) as a "gift" under our "Entertainment" category. I figured we've gotten 1000 baht of entertainment from this guy just listening to all his stories.

Oh, the next time he wanted 5000 baht and Hubby said he'd consider a loan just as soon as he received the 1000 baht from the previous loan. So that 1000 baht was a nice test-case, too.

To lend for a prostitute? No way. I'd tell him to use his right hand !!

And to lend to someone who has been a bad payer in the past? Even for something important I would consider carefully.

no good...with a friend like that he ask to borrow 'your' right hand.

'after' he tells you to come sit next to him of course.

OPost is just...

where is the facepalm emoticon?

seriously, this is either a fictional story, or...

"he owed me money and he convinced his ex-gf to me back"

and then

"now he owes me more"

OP should have considered himself lucky to get the first loan back and refrained from granting another loan, because debtor is obviously not able to repay by himself!

Hubby once "loaned" 1000 baht to a friend like the OP's. I track our expenses on Quicken and I recorded it (correctly) as a "gift" under our "Entertainment" category. I figured we've gotten 1000 baht of entertainment from this guy just listening to all his stories.

Oh, the next time he wanted 5000 baht and Hubby said he'd consider a loan just as soon as he received the 1000 baht from the previous loan. So that 1000 baht was a nice test-case, too.

Bingo! That is exactly what I do, Nancy. Some people learn and others don't. My second wife's son is one who never learned the concept of consequences... and he's now 38 and has NEVER held a steady job or completed any agreed to assignment.

Borrow from a friend?

I don't borrow money from friends or enemies. If I need something I save for it. I have a savings account just for emergencies however, why should I have to use it all, why can't I use the money he owes me.

Somehow I get the impression my attempt to contribute with some wittiness didn't work out the way I had hoped...