Rubber Trees

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone care to comment on Rubber growers gathering to protest the Thai and global price difference. It's been mentioned in the news section topic Yingluck can't dodge the real issues forever, or something like that lol.

Mosha:

I think the protest will have as much effect as the rice farmers protesting about price, the sugar cane farmers protesting about price etc etc.

We are unfortunately at the mercy of the markert makers in this country.

I would love to get world price for rubber, whatever it may be. But there are people with government blessing's that can control the price paid for a variety of commodities. TIT. I don't know that this applies to rubber, but the best of luck in their protest. The talking head of some gov. dept will issue a statement saying it will be looked into and it will die a natural death.

Ken

Anyone care to comment on Rubber growers gathering to protest the Thai and global price difference. It's been mentioned in the news section topic Yingluck can't dodge the real issues forever, or something like that lol.

Mosha:

I think the protest will have as much effect as the rice farmers protesting about price, the sugar cane farmers protesting about price etc etc.

We are unfortunately at the mercy of the markert makers in this country.

I would love to get world price for rubber, whatever it may be. But there are people with government blessing's that can control the price paid for a variety of commodities. TIT. I don't know that this applies to rubber, but the best of luck in their protest. The talking head of some gov. dept will issue a statement saying it will be looked into and it will die a natural death.

Ken

Think it's all smoke and mirrors again for political gain. The price of rubber is set in Tokyo, Singapore and London etc. The Government does not hold a monopoly on rubber, there are private exporters in compotition with each other. I am a very small player, but give the cash there is no reason I couldn't direct export, Thais are not that stupid that if the price in Malaysia is better and a fast profit could be make don't you think the trucks would be rolling over the border. Jim PS whay's wrong with spell check on this forum now,

Looks like a bit of a recovery in rubber prices is on the cards. The Government has agreed to buy 200,000 tons and sit on it to support rubber prices. Strange the village head told me a few weeks ago that rubber would be on it's way up this month. Will have to start listening to him, as I sold a load yesterday instead of waiting. Jim

Let us know, although we are approaching shutdown. Some plots around us have already stopped for the leaf change, and we are not far off.

Prices have gone up about 3 Baht today for RSS and we had rain last night. Hopefully we will still be getting some out put until the end of Feb. X my fingers as we are off to Oz start of Feb for awhile and that is no cheap place to live. Jim

Today's selling price for cup rubber was 45.6 baht/kilo. Up from 42.25 two weeks ago.

Hopefully the trend is my friend

I think the end of the month should see the end of tapping this year for us.

Ken

Today's selling price for cup rubber was 45.6 baht/kilo. Up from 42.25 two weeks ago.

Hopefully the trend is my friend

I think the end of the month should see the end of tapping this year for us.

Ken

Sure the Government will try and take credit for the increase, but think it has more to do with the ME, if they start shooting and oil exports are effected, oil goes up and rubber and oil prices go hand in hand. Jim

Looks like a bit of a recovery in rubber prices is on the cards. The Government has agreed to buy 200,000 tons and sit on it to support rubber prices. Strange the village head told me a few weeks ago that rubber would be on it's way up this month. Will have to start listening to him, as I sold a load yesterday instead of waiting. Jim

It's a bit of a gamble.What to do,but remember a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.We sold too .Better than seeing it rot in the shed or come home 1 day and find it all gone.It happens.Next year will definatly be better.Japan is picking up and Thai business will recover after this flood too.Call your local buyer morning and afternoon .Because somebody with the power will hold the price down which lets big middle men buy a lot of yang and then somebody with the power will put the price up for 1 afternoon or morning to let them sell and make a lot of money.If you are ready at that time you can get that price.But its a gamble.

Cheers Cobbler

P'S' Love your yang topic Great to see farang making it work,and having a great time doing it

My other half has a few numbers she calls, Luckily the nearest is normally the best, although a run into Ranong could get us 2 Baht extra it's not worth a 60km round trip lol. The area when viewed from afar looks like a [atchwork quilt. Some plots still green and others have already dropped their leaves.

My other half has a few numbers she calls, Luckily the nearest is normally the best, although a run into Ranong could get us 2 Baht extra it's not worth a 60km round trip lol. The area when viewed from afar looks like a [atchwork quilt. Some plots still green and others have already dropped their leaves.

Hi Mosha,Interesting ,Patchwork quilt,sounds like our trees ,some of them have no leaves and some still have plenty,Here in Bangsaphan

Cheers Cobbler

Hi Mosha,Interesting ,Patchwork quilt,sounds like our trees ,some of them have no leaves and some still have plenty,Here in Bangsaphan

Cheers Cobbler

I nearly died yesterday when we went past our buyer and asked the price for mats.He said 93 per kilo.OOPS I said.We sold for 88 per kilo last Tuesday the 10th 3 days earlier

Cheers Cobbler

We just put some pui ,um fertilizer on yesterday.We have changed from our original fertilizer which was multiple colors and not such a strong smell.This one is very dark in color and smells very rich.The price is also a bit cheaper than our other 1.So we are hoping for the best.Came with some very good comments from my wife's family who are our teachers and mentors.If anybody's interested ,I'll try to get some photo of the bag or put the name here in Thai for you.

Cheers Cobbler

We just put some pui ,um fertilizer on yesterday.We have changed from our original fertilizer which was multiple colors and not such a strong smell.This one is very dark in color and smells very rich.The price is also a bit cheaper than our other 1.So we are hoping for the best.Came with some very good comments from my wife's family who are our teachers and mentors.If anybody's interested ,I'll try to get some photo of the bag or put the name here in Thai for you.

Cheers Cobbler

Why are you fertilizing now, your trees will be going dormant shorty. Jim

Cheers Cobbler

I nearly died yesterday when we went past our buyer and asked the price for mats.He said 93 per kilo.OOPS I said.We sold for 88 per kilo last Tuesday the 10th 3 days earlier

Cheers Cobbler

Our leaves are starting to drop in 2 plantations and the other 2 are fine!! Strange that!! Hoping that the 120 baht price will be seen!!!

Now this doesn't sound too promising. Just heard on BBC an expected rubber surplus of 212,000 tonnes in 2012.

Take no notice of these predictions, these guys are telling people how much rubber will be needed for production in 2013. Ask them will the EU still be here, will China stop growing or will the US dollar fall through the floor, they have no idea. Yet they know how much rubber will be produced in 2012 and how much will be needed in 2013. Think I get better forecasts from the village head, then some highly paid guy in the city.More then likely the same guys who have managed to distroy what pension I was hoping to get in years to come. Jim

At the local factory I drive past daily, Rubberland, I see stacked bales in the back area (of what looks like compressed block rubber) that could take 100+ fully trailer lorries to haul off, and probably more. I have no clue if that's good or bad. None the less there are dozens of truck of kee motoring around daily and half the trees are bare. And, there's a large grower locally (grafts for baby trees) that has what looks like over 10,000 babies recently grafted and beginning to grow.

all's well so far

World bank I gather is projecting doom and gloom for the world this year. GFC 2, but worse, we mortals have no say. War in the middle east, collapse of the Euro, who knows., but while they still drive cars to work they will need rubber. The question will be how many people have a need for a car, if they have no jobs. Live in the moment for tomorrow you may die. Jim

World bank I gather is projecting doom and gloom for the world this year. GFC 2, but worse, we mortals have no say. War in the middle east, collapse of the Euro, who knows., but while they still drive cars to work they will need rubber. The question will be how many people have a need for a car, if they have no jobs. Live in the moment for tomorrow you may die. Jim

"Eat when you're hungry

Drink when you're dry

Make love when you want to

Tomorrow you may die" --- Robert Grimshaw 1976 (Penned on a knapkin in a restaurant somewhere in Norwich)

Hi guys and gals,

been lurking around this farming forum for a couple of years. My first post for what it's worth;

Have 64 rai of rubber trees in 3 plots (all walking distance from my house)-

28 rai, 6 and 7 year old, 2220 trees

10 rai, 5 and 6 year old, 750 trees

26 rai, 3.5 year old, approx 1950 trees

all RRIM 600, located in Udon Thani province.

Me and the missus have done virtually all the prep work in the last 7 years, only use one bloke to strim betwwen the trees, and a 4 person team to help with the fertilise sessions twice a year. I cut the grass with the tractor in between the 7 metre rows. She and her brother and sister-in-law all went to the Nong Khai govt rubber school the year before last for the 8 day course and have the certificates. Last year (2011) we opened the 28 rai plot, of 2220 trees; 1700 were plenty big enough to cut. Two people cutting, half diameter not a third, mostly one on/one off, sometimes 2 on/1 off, total production wet cup rubber, 12/5/11 to 27/12/11 was 6,309 kilos. Best fortnight we had was the final week with 597 kilos with 8 cuts over a 2 week period.During that unreal rainy season we were getting as little as 255 (5 cuts) kilos per fortnight and as much as 354 kilos (6 cuts). We were not able to cut at most times we wanted, basically dodging the heavy rain and cutting when we could.

Prices started out at 75.2 baht per kilo, rising to a high of 81.9 bpk in june, staying at low 70's and high 60's till october, then gradually falling down to the dreadful mid 40's from november until now. Last sale was 44.1. All prices at the local govt auction, gate prices round here always 2-4 baht per kilo down. My two cutters (missus's brother and wife) are very very good, and can cut 1700 trees in one night, that's 850 each, which is about the max possible, everyone round here is amazed at the quality of the cut - because he went to school!! Split is 60/40, 60 to us, for his 40%, he helps with the 2 fertilise sessions, and strims around the trees, but only on his plot where he cuts. Fertiliser; twice a year, start and end of the rainy season; year 1 15-15-15, year 2 18-4-5, years 3-6 20-10-12, years 7 up and ready to/or are cutting 30-5-18. 6 years and up, a 50kg bag per rai - twice! It aint cheap! Looking after the land; ABSOLUTELY no chemical spraying to kill grass and weeds, plough if you must between the 7m rows for only the first 3 years max, then just cut the grass with a tractor, i prefer to only cut the grass 2nd year on, you do'nt cut the root system, the grass keeps the land together and the soil keeps it's moisture better. We do a lot of things differently to most of the rubber people round here (lots of rubber in this area), but then we do'nt skimp on the fertiliser and my missus listens to the teachers at the NK rubber school and not local hearsay/gossip. Hence we had some 65cm circumference 6 year old trees, hence we cut 1/2, not a 1/3rd diameter like nearly everyone round here does. Once the trees get right up to big girths (nice word) and 9-10 years old, and you're ready to open the second panel, go to 1/3 of circumference. This info is all available to anyone via free cd's and books from the govt rubber institutions, our nearest being Nong Khai (actually closer to Phon Phisai).

Hope this info helps, and after all the time, effort and money i've put into my plantation the last 7 years it was nice to get a small amount back in for the first time this year, albeit crap money per kilo most of the year and the worst rainy season since i've lived here. By the way, i'm 51, got no pension and no savings left, all my money is in my rubber, so lets hope it picks up again in a year or two. I think 2012 prices will be similarly low to 2011.

All the best for 2012 and beyond to you rubber guys,

Mike.

Nice one Mike and congrats on having made it. Again shows if you do the right thing and put the effort in you can come out a winner.

Like you, rubber is my income, don't even have an overseas bank account anymore and keeping my fingers crossed for a better season this year. Good or bad I have no where else to go,, so will have to take what comes.

When you go over to sheet you will start to make good returns. I have said before if you have over 3000 trees you can make a good living here. Jim

Archived