Rubber Trees

Hi just wanted to know if anyone could give me an idea of how much money I would make from approximatly 2400 trees going by todays prices with sheet rubber.

Mrs and I have 36 rai of farm land with trees growing on them they are 4 and a half year old and are looked after by the Mrs brother and his wife.

Just really looking for some figures I have looked at some of the figures on the forum but I think I may be miss calculating.

Thanks in advance

dezy1801

Look around 5 kilos a tree per year. You can get much better if the trees are good but 5 kilos is a safe bet. Jim

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi just wanted to know if anyone could give me an idea of how much money I would make from approximatly 2400 trees going by todays prices with sheet rubber.

Mrs and I have 36 rai of farm land with trees growing on them they are 4 and a half year old and are looked after by the Mrs brother and his wife.

Just really looking for some figures I have looked at some of the figures on the forum but I think I may be miss calculating.

Thanks in advance

dezy1801

Look around 5 kilos a tree per year. You can get much better if the trees are good but 5 kilos is a safe bet. Jim

Thats perfect thanks Jim just gives me some idea of what I will have if I was up and running today just hope the price picks up in the next 3-4 years so I can spend more time at home and less time away at work. drunk.gif

Firstly thanks to all those who have posted in the past as it has allowed me to get a better idea about what is needed to grow rubber trees.

I have a couple of questions regarding how close should a tree be planted to the boundary. So far it seems to be accepted that rubber trees are planted in rows with the rows spaced 7 metres apart and the trees in the row 3 metres apart. So the questions are:

1. If it is decided to make the row parallel to the boundary fence how close should it or could it be to the boundary?

2. If the row is perpendicular to the boundary how close to the boundary should the end tree be?

My problem is that in one area there is the neighbours house within about 4 metres of the boundary so if we were to plant too close then they (the neighbours ) might not be very happy if the tree branches overhang their property.

Would it be a good idea to leave enough room for a tractor to pass along the boundary between the fence and the closest trees?

We went with the vertical rows 3 metres and went 1.5 metres to our boundary. The new neighbour burn't right up to the edge and more. We lost some trees, and they bribed the Kamnam to do nothing. The Kamnam was my wife's (now ex) BIL. When we realised nothing was going to happen, after 6 weeks of him saying be patient. My wife went to the police, and they replaced the trees they had killed. Needless to say the BIL was not happy at having to return his hard earned cut. smile.png

On our last planting I was there to supervize and got a 4 meter space from the trees to the land boundry, running parrallel and perpendicular. This gives me room to go with the tractor and rototill the weeds. This piece of land I can clear the weeds and grass all by tractor, which is quicker and cheaper. On earlier planting the wife had them plant 2 meters from the edge of the land and it leaves a wide strip where the weeds and grass grow that has to be cleared by a guy with a brushcutter.

You'll get some more trees in going closer to the edge but have more handwork and as you say possibly some neighbor troubles. Personally I like the wider space for work and as an additional fire break, you never know what's going to appear on your neighbors land or how well they'll maintain the weeds and grass growth.

Well the dust has settled on our first tapping year.

We sold 1,030KG of cup rubber which suprises me, those little drips into the cups adding up to little better than a ton of rubber.

The high price per kilo was set with our first sale sept 2nd at 75 baht per kilo. Unfortunatly it's been dropping steadly since then to a low of 41 baht per kilo. Average sale price was 53.25 baht per kilo.

We started tapping 600 trees just before Typhoon Nock-Ten which then knocked the sh#t out of my trees, but have fully recovered since then. 200 more trees were added at this piece of land and an additional 400 on another section were opened up about 2 months ago.

It's nice to finally see some production after the years of work and the amount will increase in the following years as the trees mature and the younger ones get big enough to tap. Hopefully 2012 will be a little more gentle with us.

Happy new year everyone and the best in the new year to come.

Ken

Well the dust has settled on our first tapping year.

We sold 1,030KG of cup rubber which suprises me, those little drips into the cups adding up to little better than a ton of rubber.

The high price per kilo was set with our first sale sept 2nd at 75 baht per kilo. Unfortunatly it's been dropping steadly since then to a low of 41 baht per kilo. Average sale price was 53.25 baht per kilo.

We started tapping 600 trees just before Typhoon Nock-Ten which then knocked the sh#t out of my trees, but have fully recovered since then. 200 more trees were added at this piece of land and an additional 400 on another section were opened up about 2 months ago.

It's nice to finally see some production after the years of work and the amount will increase in the following years as the trees mature and the younger ones get big enough to tap. Hopefully 2012 will be a little more gentle with us.

Happy new year everyone and the best in the new year to come.

Ken

I'll second that, hope 2012 is a bit more settled in price and rain fall. We are slowing down now, lost a worker last week took of south for the dry season and lose a tapper next week. Should get some more rubber over the next 2 months but out put will drop fast. Going over to tap 1 rest one next month and we are headed back to Australia for awhile in Feb. Best of luck to you all in 2012. Jim

Hi, It's time I buy a rubber sheet rolling machine. Had wanted the 4 pair roller (last set with ribs) with integrated kneader roller machine from an-anek.com but they're quoting 4-6 months lead time if paid in full up front. Really had hoped to have one up and running early March

Will consider built from parts by a fab shop if they know what they're doing, but not really wanting to run a single roller machine.

If anyone has any leads or suggestions....;)

Thx

Glennb6

Hi-- i just start with my rubber plant 2 weeks ago.my land is close to Klong Hut (Sa Geo). I plant on 25 rai 2100 tree. i know it is not the time or planting but i have a klong in my land and so is no problem with watering.post-108598-0-45363500-1325543228_thumb.

post-108598-0-63522000-1325543276_thumb.

very good topic... why spoil it with a bunch of blah blah intelectual BLAH...

there are many of us invested in this field so if u dont know then leave us alone..

nice to meet the rest of u real guys.. lots of money in this..

there are many of us invested in this field so if u dont know then leave us alone..

It gives us something to do when we aren't getting rubber.

Yes it's a social forum not really a technical one, meaning it is supposed to be fun and informative. Jim

Will someone please stop it raining?

Send it up here, we could do with a few days of rain now. I need the rubber/money to pay for the exorbitant price of every thing in OZ. May as well be raining as my tappers are on a 5 day binge. Jim

Hi Jim, we are already over 5x the January avarage. I am thinking of levelling the hill and planting rice. At least we won't starve. 1st dry day this year, things are looking up lol

There's an interesting article on the back of The Bangkok Post today talking about the benefits of tap root seedlings as opposed to stem cuts.

According to the article 'budding' saplings are stronger,mature faster and have a longer latex producing life.

We're planning on planting rubber saplings this May, we'll have to hunt out a co-operative or centre selling these saplings it seems.

Nice to be able to read the article, but no newspapers out here. If someone has a copy could they please give a bit of detail. Jim

They appear in town a day late lol. I think I've a mate in town who gets it. I'll give him a bell in the morning.

Thanks to those who PMed me the link, finally got to read the article. Sounds logical. Tree stars out with a root system instead of 2 grafted sticks, bound to give the tree a better start in life. You still have to graft on the clone you want to use. Don't know how they come up with more rubber and a longer life if they have just come up with the idea. Anyone out there know if roots grown from seed are better than roots grown off cuttings, I don't. Then the big question cost. Jim

Yes it's a social forum not really a technical one, meaning it is supposed to be fun and informative. Jim

Fair enough.. yes it is a good topic.. I know a few people, Thais and Farangs into this and will check it out..

for now let me state this, it seems the price swings are vast.. one month 50 then the next 150.. wow... I asked

the GF why they cannot sore it and then sell at a better price.. they tell me for one they need a sheet making machine..

and secure storage... hmm, sounds simple.. I guess they live day to day.. but doing the math it's intereresting..

So do you guys have any info on :

1/ Where to see true live/updated prices for rubber

2/ Details on the sheet making machine

3/ What else is involved

Thanks to all and happy rubber selling..

Anyone care to comment on Rubber growers gathering to protest the Thai and global price difference. It's been mentioned in the news section topic Yingluck can't dodge the real issues forever, or something like that lol.

erik, type my name into google search with Thailand or search me on youtube I have vids on sheet making and feel free to e mail or PM me with any questions you may have.

Mosha, read the article and the Government should have stuck to it;s deal about supporting rubber prices after imposing the 5 Baht levy, but no Government in the world does what it promises. As for the China deal, think it is just a blame game. The world markets just don't know what tomorrow will bring and commodities buyers don't want to gamble on buying today when there maybe no buyers tomorrow. It;s the free marketand we are stuck with it for now. Jim

Archived