Varying Eye Sight

wpcoe

For most of my adult life my eyesight has not been stable.

Twenty to thirty years ago, I sometimes would need glasses/contacts for nearsightedness (couldn't see distant objects clearly), occasionally perfect 20/20 vision for any depth of field. No predictable pattern. Sometimes a day or with perfect vision, sometimes only part of a day. But, probably 80% of the time, I needed glasses/contacts.

In my late 40's I started needing reading glasses *occasionally*, but again, some days all fields of vision were fine, other days I needed glasses, sometimes for far, some times for near, sometimes for both. I asked about it with a doctor at BNH, and he said he'd never heard of such a thing, and "was I sure?" <sigh...>

Then a few years ago (I'm now 55), I had an industrial accident where I was thrown backward and the back of my head smacked the edge of a stainless steel counter. Hard. Since then, my far distance vision is fine for about eight to ten hours after a restful night's sleep, then my far vision starts to blur and I need glasses. If I only sleep a few hours, or the sleep is restless, my far vision is not clear when I wake up. My near vision mostly still needs reading glasses (+1.50) but sometimes varies unpredictably. Even if I get bi-focals, I will still need to not wear them most mornings -- just reading glasses when needed -- so still need to keep two sets of glasses at hand. And, even more irritating, I need to keep a pair of +2.0 reading glasses for those occasions when I need them.

Anybody out there make any sense out of this? Is this common? Does anybody else have to carry around two (or more) sets of glasses, never knowing which one will be needed? Does this sound like any known pattern/syndrome that can be treated? Since I asked the BNH ophthalmologist and got that stunning feedback, I'm not confident I'll find competent medical advice on the situation in Thailand. I'm not worried about it, mainly curious, and reading the "Reading Glasses" thread inspired me to ask about it here.

Do you take medication for anything on a regular basis.?.This can give you good and bad days.I have been on Bilberry suppliment for a month,they certainly stabalise your vision. It is worrying,to me its the most important sece.My mild eye Prob started with Mild B.P. Medication 4 years ago,now one eye is perfect, and one short sighted, about 50%.Everyone seems to have an oppinion, but no clear answer.Good Luck,ill look in to see other replies.

Some kinds of eye problems found in the West are very rare in Asia, and that can make getting a good diagnosis difficult.

I'd schedule an appointment at Rutnin, where some of the doctors seem exceptionally experienced.

Thanks for the feeback. So far, it sounds like nobody has the long-term varying visual acuity that I have.

Do you take medication for anything on a regular basis.?.

No, I don't take any medications (or do illegal drugs). The most exotic I get is taking daily multi-vitamins (when I don't forget.)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-eyes/DS00463/DSECTION=symptoms
then my far vision starts to blur

You might want to check Google and above about dry eyes. I have bad sight but it is much worse when dry (and my eyes are extremely dry - doctor always mentions it) and use Vislube during day to help keep surface wet.

Hmmm. That's possible, in that I do have that one symptom, "Blurred vision, often worsening at the end of the day or after focusing for a prolonged period," sort of. My vision usually isn't blurred at all until after eight to ten hours. When I don't get a solid night's sleep and wake up with out-of-focus vision, it doesn't deteriorate further as the day progresses. But, still, it's not far off the mark. I have none of the other symptoms like stinging, burning, scratchy eyes, or (from other web sites) scratchy, gritty feeling, eyelids that stick together when waking up, etc.

I'll pick up some "liquid tears" at a pharmacy and use them as directed for a few days and see if there is any change.

I also do not have the discomfort symptoms but ophthalmologist does see it being very dry when doing eye exam. You might want to have an exam at Rutnin as they are a dedicated eye hospital and am sure will not cost more than BNH.

Simplistic; but worth mentioning is dehydration which can affect the fluid (aqueous humor) that supports the eyeball. Dehydration can affect both the volume and viscosity of the fluid which in turn can have an affect on vision.

A physician friend lectured me on the many detrimental effects of dehydration and how many westerners in Thailand are unaware that they are ofter severely dehydrated and don't realize it.

Simplistic; but worth mentioning is dehydration which can affect the fluid (aqueous humor) that supports the eyeball. Dehydration can affect both the volume and viscosity of the fluid which in turn can have an affect on vision.

A physician friend lectured me on the many detrimental effects of dehydration and how many westerners in Thailand are unaware that they are ofter severely dehydrated and don't realize it.

A good point,Alcoholl,and most Meds have a dehide ability.

• 3 months later...

The two basic elements in the eye that determine the ability to focus are the lens and the eye muscles controlling the lens. If the lens gets less "pliable" as we get older, it is less able to accommodate near vision, which requires the lens to become more "rounded" (or biconvex) than distant vision which requires less change of form is usually the first to be affected. The eye muscles are also prone to fatique and will also not be able to manipulate a "harder" lens as much, restricting focal distance. The lens should also be checked for early cataract formation but this will not result in varying vision like you have, it will be constant.

Dry eyes will probably affect the cornea more than the lens but this is the first "refractory element" in the eye lens system so will also have an influence as well; blurring here will most likely be the result.

Bottom line, this can be pretty much normal for this age and may mean (not necessarily though..) that you will need reading glasses more often or permanently in the future.. Distant vision usually the last to be affected.

Or longer arms...

There is a good restaurant on the ground floor as well.

There is? Have never looked but all I see on ground floor is the optical store and payment counter and elevators to treatment area.

Actually first floor; you can see it from Asok rd. in front of Rutnin.

http://www.mayoclini...ECTION=symptoms

then my far vision starts to blur

You might want to check Google and above about dry eyes. I have bad sight but it is much worse when dry (and my eyes are extremely dry - doctor always mentions it) and use Vislube during day to help keep surface wet.

I have the same thing .... and it's due to dry eyes. If I sleep with ac on, or don't get enough sleep, or after a long flight or a good night out, the cornea gets dehygrated and effects my sight.

Eye drops and drinking lots of juice does the trick.

There is a good restaurant on the ground floor as well.

There is? Have never looked but all I see on ground floor is the optical store and payment counter and elevators to treatment area.

Next to the optical is the restaurant..abour 6 or 8 tables and the food is very good and inexpensive

Think I'd call it a small cafe rather than a restaurant but it's ok.

Rutnin was recommended to me on Thai Visa and the level of service is excellent, from the two young ladies who liaise with foreign patients to the optometrists themselves who are as good as you will find anywhere.

One caveat, be prepared to set aside most of a day and take a good book or an mp3 player as it's a very busy place, bit of a production line. For everyday eye checkups I'd go elsewhere but if you have something you think might be complicated then Rutnin is the place to go, reasonably priced as well.