Bikers

richb2004

I have been toying with the idea of buying a motor bike for the past year. I think it would be the idea way to explore the side roads of Thailand. It is the safety aspect that has stopped me so far. To be precise, the lack of safety. However I am back to feeling the urge again. If I get one I am wondering what gear I should and would wear. Back home I would have the helmet, the gloves, the jacket, boots and decent trousers. Out here the weather is against all that.

Are there any light weight jackets, gloves etc available?

What do the biker members of the forum wear?

How many of you ride bikes, and who thinks it’s a good or bad idea?

I think its a great idea. Riding a motorcycle is a great way to see the coutnry side.

To be on the safe side at least have a helmet, closed toed shoes, and long pants. A long shirt will keep the sun off your skin. A full face helmet will keep the bugs out of your mouth. A motorcycle license will keep the police off your back.

Don't let the hot weather affect your driving safety. You can always change your gear when you reach your destination. It's quite hard to replace your skin or your head.

A light jacket, waterproof or not, will help keep stinging rain from pelting you if you get caught in a storm.

Make sure you buy a bike with good tires. Otherwise you might be paying 20 baht for a patch or 80 baht for a tube. Thai people always stare and laugh (in a friendly kinda way) when they see a farang pushing a motorcycle down a country road with a flat tire.

Usually, if I ride between villages, I'll have long pants and helmet. In the village, I take my chances and don't wear a helmet. My speed in the village is much lower (40kph) but I do realize something can still happen.

If you take an overnight trip, make sure your motorcycle is secure. If possible, keep it in your room with you. If you can't do that, ask if there is a secure place to keep it. I have had a motorcycle stolen before. 3 men picked it up and carried it away (according to a witness).

Also, a good road map of Thailand is good to have too.

Good luck and happy biking!

Edited by richard10365

Rider safety is of paramount importance.

It is recommended that you take two large mattresses and tie them securely around your body. These will act as a cushion against bus or lorry impact.

If you can't get your hands on two mattresses, do what the Thai's do for personal safety and hire four children for the day. Place two in front of you and two behind.

Another safety method is to hire a policeman's uniform, complete with shiny badges and a revolver. Wear this outfit wherever you ride and I guarantee nobody will drive dangerously around you.

Happy biking.

Hi Sir Burr,

I have been riding in Malaysia and Thailand for the past 6 years and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Beware of the extremely hazardous road conditions. There are no warning signs, enormous pot holes, chevrons which protrude about 6 inches and ride as though everyone is out to get you. Believe me it may not be everyone but the large majority will be out to get you even if they are not intentional in doing so since the majority of other road users do not have a bloody clue! Plus they are most inconsiderate!

There is suitable protective gear which was sold in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia that was perforated and had pockets in to place protective pads. One rider used to remove the pads and wear it at the local disco!

Buy a better helmet than the rejects sold in Toys-R-Us, preferably full face and wear clothes to prevent sun/wind burn and gravel rash!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting GERONIMO!"

Cheers.

John_Betong

se what I mean!!  no underpants

Thats cos i always go commando, aircon for the nether reigons

Gotta be careful of the odd wasp though Wolfie... you don't want anything nasty flying up your shorts and playing havoc with your tackle... :o

OP, where exactly will you be venturing from to explore backroads?

Riding from say, BKK or Pattaya, to remote locations elsewhere in Thailand would require more safety wear than if you were perhaps just exploring the backroads in the vicinity of a village home.

I ride a lot in Phuket and always wear a proper jacket with jeans and strong shoes. Stacking a bike once and going through the gravel scrub was enough for me.

The jacket I have is mesh with protection for the back, shoulders, elbows and chest. It is not hot at all when you are riding.

I got it from West Coast Riders on the bypass road here BTW, PM me if you want details.

Personally (JMHO) I shudder when I see all the tourists on their rented R1s and CBR 600 RRs wearing shorts and a T-shirt, they are just nuts.

Personally (JMHO) I shudder when I see all the tourists on their rented R1s and CBR 600 RRs wearing shorts and a T-shirt, they are just nuts.

Especially when they go tearing down the beach road like something out of top-gun!

Gotta be careful of the odd wasp though Wolfie... you don't want anything nasty flying up your shorts and playing havoc with your tackle...

Its the Ants that get me, its like Ants in yer pants, but without the pants... :o

Ride a CB 750 and whenever I want to ride outside of CM, even a day trip, I wear boots, jeans, mesh jacket with armor, gloves and full coverage helmet. The mesh "blouse" lets air pass through it easily. All the bike gear you need is available here in CM. I laid it down one time on Samoeng Road and walked away with nothing more than scuffs on the jacket and boots.

Ride a CB 750 and whenever I want to ride outside of CM, even a day trip, I wear boots, jeans, mesh jacket with armor, gloves and full coverage helmet.  The mesh "blouse" lets air pass through it easily.  All the bike gear you need is available here in CM.  I laid it down one time on Samoeng Road and walked away with nothing more than scuffs on the jacket and boots.

Did you get kitted out in Thailand Sojourner?

If so, what was the damage?

post-17984-1128687845_thumb.jpg

Especially when they go tearing down the beach road like something out of top-gun!

Gotta be careful of the odd wasp though Wolfie... you don't want anything nasty flying up your shorts and playing havoc with your tackle...

Its the Ants that get me, its like Ants in yer pants, but without the pants... :o

Ride a CB 750 and whenever I want to ride outside of CM, even a day trip, I wear boots, jeans, mesh jacket with armor, gloves and full coverage helmet.  The mesh "blouse" lets air pass through it easily.  All the bike gear you need is available here in CM.  I laid it down one time on Samoeng Road and walked away with nothing more than scuffs on the jacket and boots.

Where is CM?

Above all, make sure you get a good and well-fitted helmet. This does not just mean something that won't crack open when you hit head-on - it means something that is properly designed to absorb the concussion; if it doesn't, your brain will.

So, be prepared to spend real money on the real thing - not just something to keep the cops off your back and the flies off your face. A full-face version will enable you to padlock it to the bike.

There are two places I would check out in Chiang Mai. One is on the first floor of the new Pantip Plaza near the South end of the building. They have a selection of jackets, gloves and helmets. They always have a booth at the Harley Rally exhibition in December. There is also a shop near the Nakhonphing bridge. I don't know the street name but the shop has a yellow front. It is on the city side of the bridge between the Esso station and the intersection nearest the bridge. You will see a selection of bikes out in front. I bought my AlpineStar boots there. I've also had good luck shopping over the phone with Pro Shop Paddock Co. in BKK. 02-692-7000-5. I bought jackets for me and the wife as well as a Shoei helmet from them. The first jacket didn't fit me and they exchanged it at no extra cost. Everything was sent by mail. The mesh jacket brand name is Komine but I saw a Johnny Rocket at Pantip that uses the same material.