Washing Clothes: Bleach And Fabric Softener - In Los

Ahnsahn

I can't read Thai and I am having difficulty distinguishing the Thai equivalent of 'Bleach' and 'Fabric Softener(s)' products here in our local Tesco. Liquid bleach isn't readily available in LOS?

Would someone kindly post pictures of both of these products?

Thanks!

OP, Do you mean bleach or washing powder? If powder take a look you should see a symbol of someone hand washing,or a W/M. Another way, to tell, generally washing powder is say 70-80bt a pack, fabric softener is around 16-19 for the same size. Sorry not Rocket science I Know.

jb1

Liquid bleach, as stated above, is available in every larger Thai grocery store or supermarket I've ever been in...

All of them have the Haiter brand, usually bottles in 1 liter and 2.5 liter sizes... A lot of the supermarkets also have the Clorox brand, especially in farang areas... Haiter is cheaper...

The Haiter bleach, I gather, comes in a couple different scents similar to Clorox, thus you get the yellow, pink and blue-greenish colored bottles from them. All bleach.

The one thing, though, that I've rarely seen is the equivalent of Clorox's bleach for colored clothes, the stuff sold in the dark blue bottle back in the States...

Likewise, all the Tescos I've been in stock several different varieties of Downy liquid fabric softener, in blue bottle, pink bottle and a flowers-style bottle assortments (actually, plastic bottles and plastic refill pouches) in various sizes.

I think the other prominent fabric softener brand, a local one, goes by the name of Comfort or something like that.

Edited by jfchandler

As above bleach says Haiter (there are others but this one is easy)

Softener says Comfort, again there are others, I'm pretty sure the Tesco own brand says 'Fabric Softener' in English.

For washing powder, we use Breeze (the label says 'USa' :) ), look for the picture of handwash or a front loader depending upon what you're using.

Actually, thinking about it 90% of these things (except seemingly the washing powder) are actually labelled in English.

This is handwash / top loader Breeze

breeze.jpg

The front loader version is in a different colour (gold?) pack with a picture of a front loader on it.

Softener says Comfort, again there are others, I'm pretty sure the Tesco own brand says 'Fabric Softener' in English.

For washing powder, we use Breeze (the label says 'USa' :) ), look for the picture of handwash or a front loader depending upon what you're using.

Actually, thinking about it 90% of these things (except seemingly the washing powder) are actually labelled in English.

breeze.jpg

The front loader version is in a different colour (gold?) pack with a picture of a front loader on it.

Go for the liquid version wash machine soap ''powder''. :)

Edited by transam

Clorox is available in many stores as well.

Fabric Softener here tends to be HEAVILY scented. I am sure someone can post pics (They have Downy --- but I am not sure that it is the same Downy in the US -- the packaging is Thai)

haiter_-%28small%29-4093.jpg

4985414_s.jpg

Clorox is available in many stores as well.

Fabric Softener here tends to be HEAVILY scented. I am sure someone can post pics (They have Downy --- but I am not sure that it is the same Downy in the US -- the packaging is Thai)

breeze.jpg

Thanks a lot everyone!! There aren't many farang at this local Tesco but I will use your posts as a guide on my next visit....Thanks!!

breeze.jpg

USa -> Breeze was one of the first Thai words I learned to read.

In Thailand, the pictures on the bags tell you what they are used for, whites, colors, hand wash, or machine wash, so you don't have to understand Thai. However, my wife and I were in Italy and tried to buy washing powder and neither of us understand Italian. We ended up buying powder that was for white clothes and ended up ruining a couple of shirts.

Dave.

BTW, I remember in the past having some difficulty sorting out what things were what in the laundry section, as a fellow non-Thai language reader.... Better about that now...

A couple things still hinder me, though...

One is trying to tell the quantity directions on the bottle...for different sizes and types of washers.... And another is trying to price shop, based on how many typical loads each bottle will wash.

In the U.S., it seems, most of the manufacturers have standardized their labels a bit to say on the front, XX loads, because different brands all have different package sizes and different amounts to use... But here, most of the laundry soap bottles don't seem to show any reference to that, making it difficult to compare one vs. another.

Tesco, though, has their own store brand of 1 liter liquid laundry soap bottles, white plastic bottles that come in a couple different scents, with cap colors of green, pink and purple, I think. Usually run around 80 or 85 baht for a liter bottle. And at least that brand is clearly labeled in English, in addition to seeming to be among the better values.

The displays of those Tesco liquid laundry soap bottles on the shelves aren't usually large, just one shelve/bottle space for each of the 3 different varieties, usually on a low/bottom shelf spot, often near the baby laundry products.

BTW, I remember in the past having some difficulty sorting out what things were what in the laundry section, as a fellow non-Thai language reader.... Better about that now...

A couple things still hinder me, though...

One is trying to tell the quantity directions on the bottle...for different sizes and types of washers.... And another is trying to price shop, based on how many typical loads each bottle will wash.

In the U.S., it seems, most of the manufacturers have standardized their labels a bit to say on the front, XX loads, because different brands all have different package sizes and different amounts to use... But here, most of the laundry soap bottles don't seem to show any reference to that, making it difficult to compare one vs. another.

Tesco, though, has their own store brand of 1 liter liquid laundry soap bottles, white plastic bottles that come in a couple different scents, with cap colors of green, pink and purple, I think. Usually run around 80 or 85 baht for a liter bottle. And at least that brand is clearly labeled in English, in addition to seeming to be among the better values.

The displays of those Tesco liquid laundry soap bottles on the shelves aren't usually large, just one shelve/bottle space for each of the 3 different varieties, usually on a low/bottom shelf spot, often near the baby laundry products.

This is a big part of the reason I decided to learn Thai. Until I became proficient, I brought bottles/packages to my Thai lessons and asked the teacher to explain how much I should use, or how often (in the case of medicines).

Look at the larger packages for a product. Often they have some English labeling because of the larger package size.

wow i though all da farangs were using their maid or gf or wife for these services. very impressive indeed.

do u do ur ironing as well???

anyways how what is the purpose of bleach? to remove the stain?

how could i remove this fish sauce stains on me white shirts??? help me pweese

as seen on thai tv, it shows the new attack washing powder will remove the stain completely, but no.

i tried bleach, fabric softner, that collar stain remover to get rid of this fish sauce stain but no luck at all...

i have to get em those 60baht ts and 199baht ys from tesco or big c frequent. kool

additional note: this fish sauce was maybe caused by a hater who vandalized my white cloth, i use coin laundary down me apt

Edited by gravion

i tried bleach, fabric softner, that collar stain remover to get rid of this fish sauce stain but no luck at all...

i have to get em those 60baht ts and 199baht ys from tesco or big c frequent. kool

additional note: this fish sauce was maybe caused by a hater who vandalized my white cloth, i use coin laundary down me apt

If you can translate your comments above into English, perhaps someone might offer you some advice...

what ever bleech or stain remover, you have a better chance if your fabic is cotton-base then your fabric is synthetic material.

in case it is synthetics, bring it to professional cleaner. fish sauce stain is too easy for Thai cleaners.

wow i though all da farangs were using their maid or gf or wife for these services. very impressive indeed.

anyways how what is the purpose of bleach? to remove the stain?

how could i remove this fish sauce stains on me white shirts??? help me pweese

as seen on thai tv, it shows the new attack washing powder will remove the stain completely, but no.

Wow, I thought all da farangs were using their maid or gf or wife for these services. very impressive indeed.

.....with a washer and a dryer - no need for ironing: Wash 'em, put them in the dryer, then hang them up in the clothes closet or put them in the drawer - Clothes are go to go!!

This is a big part of the reason I decided to learn Thai. Until I became proficient, I brought bottles/packages to my Thai lessons and asked the teacher to explain how much I should use, or how often (in the case of medicines).

Look at the larger packages of a product, often they have some English labeling because of the larger package size.

....thanks for the tip!

what ever bleach or stain remover, you have a better chance if your fabric is cotton-base then your fabric is synthetic material.

in case it is synthetics, bring it to professional cleaner. Fish sauce stain is too easy for Thai cleaners.

.....will do!

I usually add small amounts of bleach to my 'whites' to maintain their 'whiteness' (to help avoid that dingy-yellowish 'look') as well as to serve as a mild sanitizing and disinfecting agent.

Edited by Ahnsahn

Does having a septic tank restrict the use of any/all of the above chemicals? Or, since so many Thai households do have septic tanks, are the products in Thailand modified to be septic tank friendly?