Majority Of Thai People Back Teen Curfew After 10pm

webfact

NSO: Majority back teen curfew

BANGKOK, 19 May 2011 (NNT) – The majority of Thai people have expressed their agreement with the measure forbidding teens under 18 years of age from leaving their homes after 22.00 hrs, according to a recent survey by the National Statistical Office (NSO).

According to NSO Director Viboondhat Sudhantanakit, 81% of the people surveyed agreed with the mentioned measure while only 18.6% opposed the idea.

The respondents residing in the northern region of the kingdom supported the measure the most, accounting for 87.2%. The rates for the central, southern, northeastern regions and capital city recorded at 85.8%, 85.7%, 85.1% and 72.7% respectively.

The supporters deemed the measure an effective tool to reduce crime involving children and youth in the society as well as help control their behavior. They also wanted the measure to be strictly and constantly enforced throughout the country.

Moreover, the respondents said authorities should find ways to prevent some police officers from lining their pockets on account of the measure.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-05-19 footer_n.gif

So, as long as they leave their home before 10pm, there is no problem with them being out all night.

Ha Ha, nice one, it didn't matter what time they suggested did it. Amazing !!!! Hilarious survey.

Pull up the drawbridge, bar the gates. what will a 17 year old wife do ???? stop herself from going out :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well my flabber is gasted. Where the <deleted> did they come up with these stat's? How many people did they survey and who did they survey. Most people don't seem to give a dam_n, what the kids get up to.

I did like the bit about not wanting the BIB to use this as another way to line their pockets though.

jb1

Most people don't seem to give a dam_n, what the kids get up to.

Isn't that the most pertinent point of this. When I was a kid, if my parents told me to be home before dark, I was home before dark, my Mum and Dad didn't expect the police to do basic parental duties for them.

What is the fad with "moreover" here in Thailand.

I know off topic.

I KNOW! I see it repeatedly in every essay that I've edited! I've never used it in any papers I've written. I swear it is the only "transition word" taught over here.

Back on topic, the curfew idea is laughable and will never work.

Isn't that the most pertinent point of this. When I was a kid, if my parents told me to be home before dark, I was home before dark, my Mum and Dad didn't expect the police to do basic parental duties for them.

That's probably because you didn't grow up in an emerging nation where girls get pregnant at 14, and marry the Thai father, then get pregnant again and he clears off and she then dumps the kids on their grandparents while she moves away to look for a whitey to fall in love with her and foot the bills for the lot of them whilst the kids run wild in the meantime.

"Parenting"? - "Allai na?" :blink:

"Responsible?" - "Allai na?" :blink:

I reckon my cat has more dedication and responsibility than very many of the Thai women I have met - with exceptions, I hasten to add . . .

R

Edited by robsamui

That's probably because you didn't grow up in an emerging nation where girls get pregnant at 14, and marry the Thai father, then get pregnant again and he clears off and she then dumps the kids on their grandparents while she moves away to look for a whitey to fall in love with her and foot the bills for the lot of them whilst the kids run wild in the meantime.

I reckon my cat has more dedication and responsibility than very many of the Thai women I have met - with exceptions, I hasten to add . . .

R

Absolutely right.

Every Monday we have an evening market in the small town I happen to live in. When you sit and watch the people who frequent it, a couple of things become very noticeable. The teenage girls, for the most part, are still in their school uniforms and usually carrying books, the teenage boys, for the most part, are dressed like 'gansta' wannabes and their major concern is how good their hair looks. Unfortunately one set is going to impregnate some of the other set in the not too distant future and the cycle will repeat.

And who is to blame for that, the government, the police, the educational system? to a degree yes, they all are, but they have inherited a poisoned chalice because respect for others and a sense of discipline needs to be taught by the parents first, something that the vast majority of Thai parents I know completely fail to do, they teach the kids how to Wai an elder, everything else is someone else's problem apparently.

It isn't any news that a lot of people have a fascist stroke to their ideas -- when it comes to boundaries other people should remain within.

The need for a ideologically driven party election, as oppose to populist, is that a lot of these nutty ideas would be filtered out unless one specifically voted for an all out fascist party...

"Moreover, the respondents said authorities should find ways to prevent some police officers from lining their pockets on account of the measure"

Good luck with that lol

The supporters deemed the measure an effective tool to reduce crime involving children and youth in the society as well as help control their behavior. They also wanted the measure to be strictly and constantly enforced throughout the country.

Can she sleep in my house? :jap:

R

Absolutely right.

Every Monday we have an evening market in the small town I happen to live in. When you sit and watch the people who frequent it, a couple of things become very noticeable. The teenage girls, for the most part, are still in their school uniforms and usually carrying books, the teenage boys, for the most part, are dressed like 'gansta' wannabes and their major concern is how good their hair looks. Unfortunately one set is going to impregnate some of the other set in the not too distant future and the cycle will repeat.

And who is to blame for that, the government, the police, the educational system? to a degree yes, they all are, but they have inherited a poisoned chalice because respect for others and a sense of discipline needs to be taught by the parents first, something that the vast majority of Thai parents I know completely fail to do, they teach the kids how to Wai an elder, everything else is someone else's problem apparently.

They teach their kids how to wai an elder. That is it right there. The limit of their parenting skills.

jb1

What is the fad with "moreover" here in Thailand.

I know off topic.

I KNOW! I see it repeatedly in every essay that I've edited! I've never used it in any papers I've written. I swear it is the only "transition word" taught over here.

I guess its some synonym that the translation and text editing software suggests to the non-native English speaking writer of these news.

Another day in Thailand!

Does anyone care?

It's curious that the poll suggests that 85% agree about something like this, yet one must consider how many of the 85% actually have children; or are single moms; or are grandmothers raising pups who have no scruples, or... or... or...

Again! Another article that broaches upon so many issues that no one will describe or take the reigns of knowledge and address! Such as; where in Hades are the dads?

On a daily basis, I see things that an individual cannot think up on their own. it truly is amazing. I sense the nods of those who know, and I sense the slack jaws of those who work for NGOs and think they know!

Yes! I actually see things that still shock me and compel me to apply my willpower to remind myself that I live among creatures that have no sense of self-discipline; i.e. doing what is right when no one is looking, rather than doing what one feels like doing when no one is looking. That is the Thai way.

Just got pulled over the other day on Sukumvit and had to pay the Mafia 200 THB for WHAT? I was on a motorbike. I had a license. I had all the docs. Whilst the officer was telling me I had to pay a fine (but refused to say about what) I pointed out approximately 40 to 50 native motorbike drivers, who drove by the same toll stop without any helmets and several who looked suspiciously to be under the age of 18; on motorbikes! On the way over to the police station I passed by about 4 Anglos going the other way. They smirked at me and I returned the smirk. Inside I presented my ticket and when they asked me to sign, I signed "George Bush" on the doc. they collected their road toll and I went home. My uncle is having the ticket disposed of probably as I speak!

My son grows older by the day and my concern grows with that; exponentially and proportionate to his development.

Writing about the flaws of Thailand is like tugging on the frayed thread on the sweater. The more you tug, the more the sweater comes away.

When the little people are separated from the big people by such scum as I have written about, is it any wonder that no one has the strength to give a dam_n about what the media writes?

Journalists these days are like the maggots that have never been in a foxhole, but try to give the impression that they have.

Aw well! Another day in the Land of $miles

Edited by cup-O-coffee