I noticed the other day two amounts of 5000 and 3000 baht taken from my HSBC UK account.

I have notified the bank and the fraud dept are now looking into it.

The monies were taken out of a Bangkok bank ATM

On my account statement it says BANGKOK BANK/BR.730000000000.

Anyone know if I can locate the branch the money was taken out of with this? I googled

this and came back with this, http://www.bankthailand.info/branches/Chachoengsao-branche.htm

Am I right in thinking this is the branch the money was taken out of?

Thanks

An ATM doesn't have a branch number (it has a terminal number which is shown on the receipt), so i doubt the number you show is a branch number. Branch numbers in Thailand are generally only 4 digits long.

I doubt that knowing the branch will help you, although it might satisfy your curiosity if you think it was possibly someone close to you. Typically fraudster transactions clear out your entire balance. Typical gf/wife/cousin/maid only takes a small amount and hopes it won't be noticed.

Your bank will have a means via VISA of contacting the bank where the transaction was conducted; however ultimately your bank will admit that it authorised the transaction against a valid PIN number (otherwise nothing could have been taken from your account). The question then becomes where/when was your card compromised - very hard to tell. Your bank may have a policy as to whether they compensate you or not.

Make sure you have cancelled your card. Always shield your hand when entering your PIN number at any ATM to prevent shoulder surfing and pinhole cameras that might try to capture the input visually.

An ATM doesn't have a branch number (it has a terminal number which is shown on the receipt), so i doubt the number you show is a branch number. Branch numbers in Thailand are generally only 4 digits long.

I doubt that knowing the branch will help you, although it might satisfy your curiosity if you think it was possibly someone close to you. Typically fraudster transactions clear out your entire balance. Typical gf/wife/cousin/maid only takes a small amount and hopes it won't be noticed.

Your bank will have a means via VISA of contacting the bank where the transaction was conducted; however ultimately your bank will admit that it authorised the transaction against a valid PIN number (otherwise nothing could have been taken from your account). The question then becomes where/when was your card compromised - very hard to tell. Your bank may have a policy as to whether they compensate you or not.

Make sure you have cancelled your card. Always shield your hand when entering your PIN number at any ATM to prevent shoulder surfing and pinhole cameras that might try to capture the input visually.

Thanks for your reply. Yes what I meant was ATM terminal number. I am in samui, so was curious to see where the money was taken from. I can only take 10k per day using this card and noticed the transactions straight away so cancelled the card.

Thanks for your reply. Yes what I meant was ATM terminal number. I am in samui, so was curious to see where the money was taken from. I can only take 10k per day using this card and noticed the transactions straight away so cancelled the card.

Setting a limit is good.

I also only carry a balance of some 20,000 to 30,000 Baht in both of my two accounts that are accessible through an ATM card, which limits the total loss if some bastard compromises my ATM card.

Setting a limit is good.

I also only carry a balance of some 20,000 to 30,000 Baht in both of my two accounts that are accessible through an ATM card, which limits the total loss if some bastard compromises my ATM card.

Thank you for indirectly giving me good advise. I shall amend my account in the morning. Thanks again you got me thinking.