Which International School Selection In Cm ?

flakes

Dear CM residents,

I made a list here of schools here..

the Chiang mai international school CMIS

Lanna int school

Nakorn payap int school

American pacific Int school

Panyaden School

Bankunmae Brain friendly School

I need select one of them for my son of 7 years...our priorties are : a little bit laid back regime for small kids atleast ,then not start to early in the morning and or finish to late in afternoon ..Attention for art, fun science and plenty of sports and activities...It need to be a place where kids like to spend time.No junk food selling ,healthy lunches fruits...an international approach with kids and interactife teaching methods.

If you would be me then which school would you select or which school have you selected of this list in Chiang mai..

Thanks you very much,

Flakes

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks you for pointing out for me the where abouts of my old post :)

I dont think the 2 post are the same...

flakes

Go to page 8 of this forum, you will find YOUR thread from 2 weeks ago, nothing has changed in the last 2 weeks....

Hello green side...

i will miss the open day there since i will be still in Pattaya then...

That school i have took it out from my lsit..

I wil consider put it back on the list but i think i read something about that school and forced hair cuts and so got turned off with it..

Flakes

My stepson goes to Varee and we like it. They have an Open Day tomorrow (Saturday 21st May) from 9:00 to 2:00 - see my post about it here.

I'll be the old guy wandering around with a camera... :rolleyes:

Hello Greenside,

So i clicked on the link of that school ,and yes nice website..My question is about that school is what age group does it enroll the students ?

My son is just 7 years and i think this school has only an international program from from students starting at 12 years and up and so if your child is younger they can only offer the bilangual program of the varee is that correct or am i mistaken this ?

My stepson goes to Varee and we like it. They have an Open Day tomorrow (Saturday 21st May) from 9:00 to 2:00 - see my post about it here.

I'll be the old guy wandering around with a camera... :rolleyes:

My son is just 7 years and i think this school has only an international program from from students starting at 12 years and up and so if your child is younger they can only offer the bilangual program of the varee is that correct or am i mistaken this ?

I guess so.. not sure if the 12 year up is full international? I was under the impression it's bilingual all the way up. Which I think is actually better, because they get the Thai curriculum which they will need, because they are in Thailand and one day hope to attend a Thai university. Also note that in a bilingual program there will be lots of Thai kid's who's parents want good English for their children; another good thing.

My kids have been attending NIS since 2003 and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the same for any parent.

However, I do like the *idea* of the new Panyaden school. Whether the school actually lives up to the flowery promises of it's website, I don't know. I'd suggest taking a close look and perhaps consider this option, at least for a few years of elementary. You could always switch to NIS later.

I would like to preface this to say clearly that I am a teacher there, but I do recommend you look at Lanna International School. It's British curriculuum all the way to IG, A and AS levels and well credentialed. I am American myself, but I must say I like the idea of independent exams and assessments, that are done at each and every year of the school. No inflated or feel good grades. Perhaps more importantly for a child your age, is that, Lanna, while not lovely and lush in terms of physical facilities, really is a very friendly, student centered, family oriented school. This is not a paid announcement in any way, its honestly how i feel. Good luck in coming to Chiang Mai and in having the right learning environment for your child.

Edited by farangajarn

OP,

You may wish to inquire closely about short hours of the schools if they are a high priority for you.

There are about a half dozen vans or songthings that come for youngsters in my moobahn at 6:30, and they return fairly late, considering. Depends doubtless on location of your home relative to the school - I'm outside the outer ring road, but there are a couple of schools not far away. Perhaps others know of yours for children the age of yours?

I guess so.. not sure if the 12 year up is full international? I was under the impression it's bilingual all the way up. Which I think is actually better, because they get the Thai curriculum which they will need, because they are in Thailand and one day hope to attend a Thai university.

I have to correct myself here, having just visited the Varee Open Day; it seems they have both, an English Programme as well as full International School. I would still prefer the former, but it's good to have both options.

It's a very big school, but I guess you'd expect that.

And it's somewhat easy to get to without getting into too much of a traffic jam.

OP,

You may wish to inquire closely about short hours of the schools if they are a high priority for you.

There are about a half dozen vans or songthings that come for youngsters in my moobahn at 6:30, and they return fairly late, considering. Depends doubtless on location of your home relative to the school - I'm outside the outer ring road, but there are a couple of schools not far away. Perhaps others know of yours for children the age of yours?

Hello

Ok well the school hours i can be flexible with but if i need to choose between a school that starts from 08.00 till 1600 or a school starts at 09.00 till 15.30 then i will take the last one..

living near to the school will also helps give the kid more play time..

My kids have been attending NIS since 2003 and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the same for any parent.

However, I do like the *idea* of the new Panyaden school. Whether the school actually lives up to the flowery promises of it's website, I don't know. I'd suggest taking a close look and perhaps consider this option, at least for a few years of elementary. You could always switch to NIS later.

Helloo and txs your message,

yes i will look at both those schools..

What i read about payed school sofar was really positive sofar...my concern with it is that its just an bilangual program and also i not sure how much influence there is in the school for budha?i do love the green aspect of this school .I curious alot about which children going that school.I will check it out in 2 weeks

thanks

I would like to preface this to say clearly that I am a teacher there, but I do recommend you look at Lanna International School. It's British curriculuum all the way to IG, A and AS levels and well credentialed. I am American myself, but I must say I like the idea of independent exams and assessments, that are done at each and every year of the school. No inflated or feel good grades. Perhaps more importantly for a child your age, is that, Lanna, while not lovely and lush in terms of physical facilities, really is a very friendly, student centered, family oriented school. This is not a paid announcement in any way, its honestly how i feel. Good luck in coming to Chiang Mai and in having the right learning environment for your child.

Hello,

yeah this school might be good however somewhere i get the idea this school is little bite to much competitive then what i like for young children

I not like young kids stressing for any test. they need learn and play in a nice stimulating atmosphere.

What can you tell me about fun stuff and or sports program in this school ?

what time school opens and ends ? how many breaks and how long the breaks ? any good play grounds at the school ?

I guess so.. not sure if the 12 year up is full international? I was under the impression it's bilingual all the way up. Which I think is actually better, because they get the Thai curriculum which they will need, because they are in Thailand and one day hope to attend a Thai university.

I have to correct myself here, having just visited the Varee Open Day; it seems they have both, an English Programme as well as full International School. I would still prefer the former, but it's good to have both options.

And it's somewhat easy to get to without getting into too much of a traffic jam.

Hello,

for me its still remains unclear what programs this school has and for what age groups...

i not found it on their website i might have overlooked it...

i think they got an bilangual program till kids reach age of 12 years and then the schools changes in an international school ...

Personally i not too much like huge schools for small kids..and since their program is not clear i not intend visit this school

Also the American and UK curriculum does encourage competition and rigorous testing to prepare the students for US/ UK Colleges

I think based on your comments you might want to look very closely at the new Buddhist school

If you want an accredited International School, you will have a pretty standard school day (8am-3pm) with testing, homework, grades and progress reports.

Hello,

for me its still remains unclear what programs this school has and for what age groups...

i think they got an bilangual program till kids reach age of 12 years and then the schools changes in an international school ...

Personally i not too much like huge schools for small kids..and since their program is not clear i not intend visit this school

The below is a direct cut and paste from the "About Varee" page on the English version of their site:

VCS offers two courses and the new International Annexe to suit students’ language ability and future educational plans:

Thai Programme (TP) Up to 30% of the syllabus is taught in English including Maths, Science, Arts and Social Studies. The goal is to maximise each child's personal potential and, by constant personal and academic evaluation, place them into classes to suit their language abilities. Teachers are Thai with a native speaker taking five of the seven English classes a week.

English Programme (EP) With the exception of Thai lessons, all instruction is carried out by native speaking staff so students must have sufficient ability to learn in English at the appropriate level. Graduates from this programme have the potential to go on to further education in an English speaking environment or study in Thai universities. EP is available in Prathom 1 to Mattayom 3.

The International Annexe (also referred to as the International Programme) has its own staff and facilities and follows the highly respected Cambridge IGCSE curriculum, similar to that taught in British schools. Graduates of this modern, broad and challenging course will then be able to go on to the Advanced Level GCSE to complete their secondary education. Students graduating from this course have the widest opportunities for further education and careers, limited only by their individual aims and academic achievements. The International Annexe currently accepts students in Years 7 to 10.

Whatever the course, parents can be assured that Thai language standards are not neglected as VCS students 100% matriculation record shows. Retaining the uniqueness of being Thai, whether it be language, etiquette, cultural knowledge or history is of great importance to us and taught at all levels.

Not mentioned here, they also have a kindergarten both on the main site and one near Flora Condominium. By the way, I'm told their English Programme will be extended to the higher Mattayom levels as those currently on it progress up the school.

Flakes, you should see all the schools you can while you are here. CM is not a big place and a couple of days would be more than enough and give you the best possible basis for your important decision. None of us can tell you what's best for your child and the truth is that you probably won't know if you got it right until after the event!

Hi

Well ofcourse kids need to get tested ,my son has spelling test weekly too it fine he usually got good results..

but overtesting i dissaprove..some thai managed schools tend to over test..and even frighten young kids about some silly test..

we already doing the school program with test and home work then 3 months progress talks yeah but now he has all that but also with pushing creativity long breaks and daily sports ,my son now is doing the international montessori school in pattaya and we love that school its a pitty this school concept is not yet in chiang mai..

Its hard work but in a smart and intresting way....

yeah the payaden school it might work out for couple of years but i not too much like the 50/50 program english thai...and its thai curriculum which i not have too much with personally on the upside their concept yes sounds really nice and really child friendly..(somewhat like a montessori)

so you saying all international schools in Chiang mai are from 08.00 till 15.00 ok i good accept that..

Also the American and UK curriculum does encourage competition and rigorous testing to prepare the students for US/ UK Colleges

I think based on your comments you might want to look very closely at the new Buddhist school

If you want an accredited International School, you will have a pretty standard school day (8am-3pm) with testing, homework, grades and progress reports.

Hello Flakes:

You were asking a number of questions about Lanna International. I think many of them could be answered if you check the website: http://www.lannaist.ac.th/ I would also encourage you to email the school directly and to talk to the headmaster and/or the primary principal. I think you would be reassured about it not stressing kids etc. Also again, I am only recommending it for you to take a look at as you investigate schools and I am not selling it. Personally while I would think what you read here is very valuable information from a number of perspectives, nothing is better than you yourself going to the schools and seeing for yourself. I would never buy a pig in a poke.

I saw the negative comments from a poster about a staff member there. I think, if you really believe that has any credibility at all, that you flat out ask the school directly and judge for yourself what you think the truth of the matter is.

Dont think I have any more to add to this thread so again good luck and best wishes for you and your family.

I can suggest you go to Varie and talk to them. My daughter is now in 1st grade in the English Program and she really enjoys going to school. There are many schools for foreigners in CM but I can just recommend that you look at this. Two swimming pools and plenty of activities for the kids

Cheers

Hello,

Why make assumptions just by looking at websites? In regard to Varee, can I enourage you to call the school (numbers are on their website) and ask to speak to Ajahn Adrian who is the head of the junior school, he gives clear answers to all questions.

Don't be put off by the switchboard staff, hang in to speak to Ajahn Adrian.

I am responding here on behalf of Lanna International School regarding an accusation within this thread of the school employing a convicted felon (posts now completely removed from the thread by ThaiVisa due to being utter nonsense)

Thighlander, who clearly has a personal grudge against one of our employees, posted that one of our employees, referred to by nationality, was a convicted felon. Although this has now been removed I want to set the record straight for those who have been following this thread. LIST does not employ convicted felons. All of our staff have to go through police checks before they join us. Further, we have been actively involved during the last two years in creating rigorous Child Protection Policies that are being adopted by a number of Chiang Mai international schools. We are also currently piloting a new (additional) series of police checks for UK employees on behalf of the UK's Child Exploitation and Online Protection organisation (http://www.ceop.police.uk/). We take child protection matters very seriously indeed.

Please don't believe everything you read on this forum! I assume Thighlander has been banned from further postings. I certainly hope so. Our member of staff libelled by the comments posted in this forum is currently considering whether legal action is appropriate, as is the school.

Edited by JimShortz