What'S A Retiree To Do?

connda

Let's see. I've been in Thailand for about 4 years now. Took early retirement in the US and came to Thailand (I decided to leave the computer industry to those younger and brighter than I). I took some time off to relax (if you want to call teaching snow skiing full time relaxing), but then started work again here in the LOS. I've taught English for 3 years in Nakhon Ratchasima while by wife and son lived in Chiang Mai. Three years is enough time to sacrifice for a job ("Work for us at our Korat branch and we can transfer you to CM when there is an opening" -- Yeah, sure! How do you spell a-g-e d-i-s-c-r-i-m-i-n-a-t-i-o-n). So -- Family or Job??? OK, so it's now time to be with my family in Chiang Mai without a job.

Problem is: I have more time on my hands than I know what to do with. Retiree's dilemma, huh? You stay busy all your life, and then when you quit working-- your job is gone, your social network is gone, your cache of disposal income declines, and you start wondering what the hell to do - especially on a fixed income.

Hanging out at the pub and drinking use to be fun, but I don't do that anymore, so that's out. I'm still relatively athletic for a dude pushing 60. I like to get out and exercise: walk, bike, swim, lift weights). My running days are over -- 48 years of snow skiing does a job on your knees. I like good conversations with individuals who are not afraid to explore both sides of an issue. On the flip side, I have no time or energy to deal with disingenuous individuals or people who have a need to proselytize (you know who you are and I will too).

So with that said...what's there to do in this beautiful city for an old dude like me? B)

Wow! There is so much to do in CM as a retiree that there aren't enough hours in the day! Especially, for a relatively young, active retiree. Just check out the CM events section of this forum, City Now website, CM mail website, the Expats Club website, just to name a few places to look for activities. The Expats club has many Outside Group Activities (they call them OGAs on their website, I think). Some, like the computer and hiking clubs meet weekly, some monthly and the bridge club people are real die-hards -- you could play bridge with them 3 or 4 times a week if you wanted. Most of these groups are good at teaching newbies, too.

You can take classes. The most popular, of course, are Thai language lessons. You could work on your reading and writing skills with advanced training if you already have conversational skills. I've seen classes in salsa dancing and cooking. Toastmasters is an English language group and you could either work on improving your public speaking or helping others if your speaking skills are good.

One of the Rotary clubs conducts meetings in both Thai and English. I don't know about the other groups, but I do know there is a Lions group.

The key thing is to make an effort to get yourself out, meeting people.

I think NancyL is absolutely right, take her advice seriously please !

We are all in the same river of life here, if not the same boat, with very little distances between us,

one is only as lonesome as he/she feels, and that is not necessarily the real truth about our real situation,

so NancyL is telling the truth when she says .....

" The key thing is to make an effort to get yourself out, meeting people. "

I can relate to your situation as I am sure most everyone else here on this forum,

we are all so much more alike than we realize,

retirement can a great time, just have to discover it for yourself in your own path !

I wish you all the best,

jap.gif

Edited by Cyrus2Ray

Hi connda, I know how you feel mate! If you own a push bike and fancy stretching your legs and lungs sometime PM me, I live in Mae Taeng, some great bike riding out here. You got to force yourself out and about.......Laters!

Edited by Tonto21

Not much I'm afraid.

You are about the same age and in a very similar situation as myself . I was working full time for a company located in Spain, now only part time and soon to be laid off and sent out to the happy grazing fields of Chiang Mai. This rather scares me a little, because I also ask myself the same question; what's next? And at this stage in my life, I don't have a clue as I venture into the unknown.

Like you I've done this and done that, seen the movie, read the book and have the tee shirt.

I am in a situation where I do have some decent mates and can get out for a few laughs once in a while; otherwise I think life would become somewhat monotonous.

I just looked up the word proselytise in the dictionary and now I know what it means, although I can`t pronunce it, agree there are some people as you described also in my circle, but I usually cope by compromising, even if it`s only to a certain extend, then everyone's happy all round.

So that's the key, compromise and finding other interests that we enjoy. Otherwise there isn't much else.

Sad but true because unless we win a lottery or inherit a fortune there are no magic answers.

As the wise man says, we have to make our own enjoyment and create our own interests.

Imagine? The old guy pictured below could be us in 10 years time, so becoming old and decrepit is not all bad.

post-110219-0-06051300-1306168231_thumb.

Edited by Beetlejuice

What NancyL said.

I'll add one more -- do some volunteer activities. My wife teaches English to Burmese students a couple of evenings a week and I spend time at the dog shelter. (Please notice that I called it "volunteer activities". I don't work as it's prohibited under my visa.)

The only stress I have living as an early retiree in Chiang Mai is finding the time to do all the things I want to do.

Wow! There is so much to do in CM as a retiree that there aren't enough hours in the day! Especially, for a relatively young, active retiree. Just check out the CM events section of this forum, City Now website, CM mail website, the Expats Club website, just to name a few places to look for activities. The Expats club has many Outside Group Activities (they call them OGAs on their website, I think). Some, like the computer and hiking clubs meet weekly, some monthly and the bridge club people are real die-hards -- you could play bridge with them 3 or 4 times a week if you wanted. Most of these groups are good at teaching newbies, too.

You can take classes. The most popular, of course, are Thai language lessons. You could work on your reading and writing skills with advanced training if you already have conversational skills. I've seen classes in salsa dancing and cooking. Toastmasters is an English language group and you could either work on improving your public speaking or helping others if your speaking skills are good.

One of the Rotary clubs conducts meetings in both Thai and English. I don't know about the other groups, but I do know there is a Lions group.

The key thing is to make an effort to get yourself out, meeting people.

Excellent. Thank you Nancy.

What NancyL said.

I'll add one more -- do some volunteer activities. My wife teaches English to Burmese students a couple of evenings a week and I spend time at the dog shelter. (Please notice that I called it "volunteer activities". I don't work as it's prohibited under my visa.)

The only stress I have living as an early retiree in Chiang Mai is finding the time to do all the things I want to do.

Can someone please clarify as we may be in that status soon there? We knew working was prohibited on a retiree visa. But volunteer activities are not? I thought you needed a work permit even for volunteer work. If that's not the case, I'll be delighted, since I've been exploring other visa options primarily because I thought retirees were restricted in that way.

What NancyL said.

Hummm. This is a real grey area. From my understanding, you are required to have a work permit to perform volunteer work! If that is correct, and you don't have a work permit, and you get caught -- you can be thrown into jail, detained, and possibly deported. The organization that you work for will probably get a hand slap.

That's not to say that I'm not interested in working for a non-profit. Actually, I'm very interested in the processes of organizing, setting up, and running a non-profit in Thailand. I would eventually like to establish one in the remote area of my wife's village with the intent of providing educational programs that are not normally available to poor villagers. The object here would be to identify and groom intelligent kids in these villages, actively assistant them in improving their skills, and assist them in finding scholarships (Technical or University) with the hope that these kids with return to the area and help to break the poverty cycle in that area. But I need to understand how others are running their NP organizations.

Anyway, it's an option...

Volunteer visa and work permit. Definitely don't want to be caught helping other people if you're on a Retirement Visa.

What NancyL said.

Hummm. This is a real grey area. From my understanding, you are required to have a work permit to perform volunteer work! If that is correct, and you don't have a work permit, and you get caught -- you can be thrown into jail, detained, and possibly deported. The organization that you work for will probably get a hand slap.

That's not to say that I'm not interested in working for a non-profit. Actually, I'm very interested in the processes of organizing, setting up, and running a non-profit in Thailand. I would eventually like to establish one in the remote area of my wife's village with the intent of providing educational programs that are not normally available to poor villagers. The object here would be to identify and groom intelligent kids in these villages, actively assistant them in improving their skills, and assist them in finding scholarships (Technical or University) with the hope that these kids with return to the area and help to break the poverty cycle in that area. But I need to understand how others are running their NP organizations.

If you ever found out about the Non-Profits or were able to set one up,

I would be interested to help out as a volunteer teaching English to the underprivileged communities,

I do have a TEFL & CELTA already, and although I never intended to use it,

((and I also see that so many who are trying to obtain even one of the two above teaching certificates, and here I am having both, but no work plans !))

anyway, would be interested to hep out if and only if there would be a legal way of doing it,

would not want to be punished for trying to do some charity work !

What NancyL said.

I think that if you need to ask the question then you are probably not ready for retirement.

The danger is that you could 'stumble' into some of the networking circles that may lead you to those disingenious individuals that you so want to avoid. Worse - you could spend all day getting under your wife's feet.

A blank piece of paper may be useful and you can jot down some of those things you like doing - you already have a cycling invitation. I believe that you have got to WANT to do something so your plan should include what you want to get out of each activity.

Depending on how fixed the income is, it is a great time to look at doing things as a family (if you want to) and short breaks or holidays are a great way to explore more of Thailand - and beyond.

Yup ..just thinking the same thing ..almost the same scenario for many of us who used to put 50 hour weeks...

Think a lot of us dreamed of retirement as in a warm climate ..beaches, sun,ogling/participating/enjoying the view ..cool one in hand etc...then it's "been there done that"...now what.

Well whatever it is you find to fill your days good luck with it ...those years do seem to fly don't they?

.....we have a farm down south here and spend my days fixing things that are forever breaking and a bit of gardening. cooking and housework ... staring at the stars and the flowers and the view from the stoop...quite a change for an old Telecom/IT workaholic I can tell you..but you get used to it... except for the odd few seconds everyday when you feel you should be in a meeting or writing a report or something??...lol

oh yes and lotsa beer...sure tastes better when its 34c in the shade..

Gotta be better than a trailer park and bingo in Nevada or someplace eh...?

What NancyL said.

If you want to set up and run a non-profit organization in Thailand you better have the right paperwork.

I've heard over and over again that a foreigner cannot do volunteer work in Thailand without a work permit. That is certainly the law. However, I know of many, many individuals that are doing just that. I know of no one that has been asked to leave the country.

I'll give you some more detail of my volunteer activities (not work). I go to the dog shelter and let 4 dogs that I am familiar with out. I go for a walk. They follow me. Sometimes I follow them. Is that work? New volunteers are advised to only take only two dogs and to use a lead. Maybe that would be work? Then I go back to the shelter and pet some of the dogs that want human contact. Sometimes I brush them. Sometimes I even give a couple of them a bath. Is any of that work? I do the same things with the dogs that live in my house. I haven't heard of anyone being asked to leave because they brushed their dog or gave it a bath.

I think the purpose of the law is that the govt doesn't want a farang to volunteer for a job that a Thai could be paid to do. As i said, my wife volunteers to teach English to Burmese students. She is only called when there is no one else to teach them. If she says she's busy and can't make it, they sit and watch DVD's. They might actually prefer that. So she's not taking a job away from anyone. Several temples in CM have a "monk chat". Most that do, have signs that say it is to help the monks learn English. I guess if you speak English to a monk, you might run the risk of being deported!

I'm not giving legal advice here. That would be illegal. But if you have nothing to do and can't figure out how to fill your day, please consider volunteer "activities".

Since retiring I've quite enjoyed the luxury of choosing to do absolutely nothing whenever I want.............. and there's still not enough hours in the day to do it. B)

while this is a bit short i think it hits the nail on the head.

you will do much better if you work a little or even better a lot on the habit of defining your life by what you do ie. your work.

getting older it is a good time for introspection and letting go of some of those notions,you say you have children -

so why not watch them grow and take care of them which is a full time job already.

nurturing can be very fulfilling.

perpetuating the life of the west here in thailand seems pointless to me

i would offer classes in idling if it wouldn't cut into my free time .:D

i can only shake my head when i read the various generalisations and advice rendered. in nearly 22 years of retirement there was hardly any day which had enough hours enabling me to do all what i planned to do. why teaching? aren't there enough subjects still to learn? knowledge is at our finger tips because of the internet. going out and meet people? i've met all the people i wanted to meet (unfortunately many more) two decades ago. searching for hobbies to pass time? a dozen additional hobbies exist which i would like to take up but unfortunately my day has only 24 hours.

i wholeheartedly second "el jefe" and "uptheos"

The only stress I have living as an early retiree in <insert location> is finding the time to do all the things I want to do.

Since retiring I've quite enjoyed the luxury of choosing to do absolutely nothing whenever I want.............. and there's still not enough hours in the day to do it. B)

Edited by Naam

OK, I've quit work (at least temporarily). Now what?

Have always found this line from retirees and from workers musing on quitting a bit narrow minded. Classic: but the bars don't open til so 'n so time and it's too early to start drinking then. &lt;deleted&gt;! As others, there are just not enough hours in the day. One doesn't have to save the world because they have more time, but if that's your thing then great. How about art, music, photography, hiking, biking, golfing, swimming, gardening, improving house or condo, exploring the rest of Thailand, travel (SE Asia all around, OZ, NZ close), learning Thai, more time with kids... any and all of them for me or simply kick back and enjoy the cafe culture. In any case, with all that's going on in the world, it's certainly not something to be stressing over and I think if you catch yourself asking 'what do I do now' someone needs to kick you up the jacksie. :whistling:

OK, I've quit work (at least temporarily). Now what?

Have always found this line from retirees and from workers musing on quitting a bit narrow minded. Classic: but the bars don't open til so 'n so time and it's too early to start drinking then. &lt;deleted&gt;! As others, there are just not enough hours in the day. One doesn't have to save the world because they have more time, but if that's your thing then great. How about art, music, photography, hiking, biking, golfing, swimming, gardening, improving house or condo, exploring the rest of Thailand, travel (SE Asia all around, OZ, NZ close), learning Thai, more time with kids... any and all of them for me or simply kick back and enjoy the cafe culture. In any case, with all that's going on in the world, it's certainly not something to be stressing over and I think if you catch yourself asking 'what do I do now' someone needs to kick you up the jacksie. :whistling:

A lot of the bars open at 9am, serving breakfast, if you need to drink before that, you are in deep trouble.

What NancyL said.

If you want to set up and run a non-profit organization in Thailand you better have the right paperwork.

I've heard over and over again that a foreigner cannot do volunteer work in Thailand without a work permit. That is certainly the law. However, I know of many, many individuals that are doing just that. I know of no one that has been asked to leave the country.

I'll give you some more detail of my volunteer activities (not work). I go to the dog shelter and let 4 dogs that I am familiar with out. I go for a walk. They follow me. Sometimes I follow them. Is that work? New volunteers are advised to only take only two dogs and to use a lead. Maybe that would be work? Then I go back to the shelter and pet some of the dogs that want human contact. Sometimes I brush them. Sometimes I even give a couple of them a bath. Is any of that work? I do the same things with the dogs that live in my house. I haven't heard of anyone being asked to leave because they brushed their dog or gave it a bath.

I think the purpose of the law is that the govt doesn't want a farang to volunteer for a job that a Thai could be paid to do. As i said, my wife volunteers to teach English to Burmese students. She is only called when there is no one else to teach them. If she says she's busy and can't make it, they sit and watch DVD's. They might actually prefer that. So she's not taking a job away from anyone. Several temples in CM have a "monk chat". Most that do, have signs that say it is to help the monks learn English. I guess if you speak English to a monk, you might run the risk of being deported!

I'm not giving legal advice here. That would be illegal. But if you have nothing to do and can't figure out how to fill your day, please consider volunteer "activities".

I am on a retirement visa. Last year I got a 7 day job teaching English in a provincial town court house. Before accepting the job I told them (a group of court judges) that I was in Thailand on a retirement visa. I was told "mai pen rai" and was paid handsomely for my efforts. While it is possible for the volunteer law to be enforced I think it extremely unlikely unless someone in a position of power was somehow affected in a negative way.