4Wd

It's been a lifelong ambition of mine to compete in the Dakar.

in 2010 I was working in the Atacama Desert in Chile working on a pipeline, the Dakar came by our camp and I got to see firsthand desert racing as they came through the desert and onto the access road we had built. But I did notice they have a tremendous backup/logistical support to keep them going for 10 days and I'm lucky to find an air compressor to keep my truck clean and running for 3 months in the nastiest place on earth

The guy with his back to the car entering the road was out safety man

post-20966-0-59177600-1308461211_thumb.jpost-20966-0-65241100-1308461288_thumb.jpost-20966-0-65458900-1308461335_thumb.jpost-20966-0-32300300-1308461648_thumb.j

Ken

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me if I was looking for a 4x4 would look at being different

SSANGYONG - KYRON - M200 XDi 2.0 AT

SUBARU - FORESTER - 2.0 S TURBO AWD

Kia Sorrento 2.5 Dti 4x4 auto

All around 1.7 million new and 2nd hand very little more than the Toyota or Mitz

skill is certainly a huge factor and knowledge of your vehicle's limitations - as you say it is your ability to get out that counts.

On poor roads or in dodgy conditions I stay well clear of other drivers as I don't want to end up stuck behin so=meone who has got himself stuck through poor driving.

I've worked on pipeline contruction around the world and in Thailand, we buy box stock 4wd pickups for the workers and SUV's for the supervisor by the truckload. I've personally used Izuzu, Mitusbishi, Toyota,Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, pickups and Pajero, Jeep,Landrover,Chev, Ford SUV's. We put those trucks through things that would make the manufacutuor cringe and I've had more than one dealer say what the hell do you guys DO TO THESE TRUCKS?

What it comes down to is skill level, I've seen trucks get totaled in a week, and have used my own truck for 14 months in the mountains going to the Burma border with no mechanical problems. Most people don't understand what is happening in the drivetrain when you're getting down and dirty, they just look out the window grip the wheel and put there foot to the floor

There is lots of good advice from the posters about serious offroad vehicles but remember you'll be driving on the highway more than offroad. The only advice I would give is to change out the tires for something with a little more offroad grip, but not too aggresive. That's the only mod we do at work.

It all comes down to knowing what the truck can handle, and more importantly what you know that you can handle.

It's surprising how far a stock truck will go, but I have the advantage of having sidebooms and dozers nearby when I get stuck. Also I don't own the truck and every job I go on they give me a new truck

As was pointed out to me as young guy its not the places you can go with a 4X4 it's the places you can get OUT of.

Ken

Ken, given your off & on road experience of many different manufacturers, if you had to buy the next 4x4 truck yourself, for the same type of use, what would you go for & why?

I've worked on pipeline contruction around the world and in Thailand, we buy box stock 4wd pickups for the workers and SUV's for the supervisor by the truckload. I've personally used Izuzu, Mitusbishi, Toyota,Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, pickups and Pajero, Jeep,Landrover,Chev, Ford SUV's. We put those trucks through things that would make the manufacutuor cringe and I've had more than one dealer say what the hell do you guys DO TO THESE TRUCKS?

What it comes down to is skill level, I've seen trucks get totaled in a week, and have used my own truck for 14 months in the mountains going to the Burma border with no mechanical problems. Most people don't understand what is happening in the drivetrain when you're getting down and dirty, they just look out the window grip the wheel and put there foot to the floor

There is lots of good advice from the posters about serious offroad vehicles but remember you'll be driving on the highway more than offroad. The only advice I would give is to change out the tires for something with a little more offroad grip, but not too aggresive. That's the only mod we do at work.

It all comes down to knowing what the truck can handle, and more importantly what you know that you can handle.

It's surprising how far a stock truck will go, but I have the advantage of having sidebooms and dozers nearby when I get stuck. Also I don't own the truck and every job I go on they give me a new truck

As was pointed out to me as young guy its not the places you can go with a 4X4 it's the places you can get OUT of.

Ken

Ken, given your off & on road experience of many different manufacturers, if you had to buy the next 4x4 truck yourself, for the same type of use, what would you go for & why?

I personnally own a Toyota Vigo 4x4 four door with automatic (for the wife) I do more offroad around the farm than most people with 4 wheel drives and I find it to be quite a good truck. When I replace it I'll go for another Toyota although I'll definatley check out the new Ford T6. In Thailand I would stick with Toyota, Izuzu or Mitsubishi trucks just for the dealer network, you can get them fixed or get parts anywhere.You go offroad you will break things eventually.

I'm not really brand loyal to any make, I've used and broken them all. I do find the newer models are not as good offroad as the old trucks. I had a 1995 Izuzu here in Thailand for 16 months and went places that dozers had trouble in. 10 years later I had another Izuzu and it spent a lot of time in the shop with drivetrain issues. The manufactures are making them more user friendly to the masses and they've all become more car like.

I don't like SUV's for offroad because of their short overhang on the back, and their weight, they're easy to hang up on something and their generally heavier.

That said attached is picture of my real toy. No power anything and rides like a lumber wagon but I've had it places I wouldn't take the Toyota and gotten out again

post-20966-0-80899900-1308488567_thumb.j

All around 1.7 million new and 2nd hand very little more than the Toyota or Mitz

Are these available in Thailand? - they certainly aren't common

One of the good things about pickup based SUVs is they have a short overhang this means better entry and exit angles.

The weight distribution over the wheels is more even too.

Another thought on the Cherokee - is that it was probably over 10 years old when the breakdown occurred - which would make one wonder if "wind-up" was even the cause on that vehicle. More likely lack of maintenance.

Are these available in Thailand? - they certainly aren't common

Yes

Seen a few about, Lots of Kia Sorrento [ about as many as Land-Rovers]

• 2 weeks later...

Quite old news - has been posted here numerous times ;)

The official story is that the Vigo failed the moose test due to the 16" wheel and tire combination used in European versions.

The official fix for this was simply an increase in wheel diameter from 16" to 17" - contrary to some urban myths, that's all that changed to rectify the issue and pass the test. The Thai market VIGO still uses 16", but the claim is the tires fitted to models here make all the difference - up to you whether that gives you the right amount of confidence or not..

The top model VIGO 4x4 double cab has had VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) for the past few years, so is totally unaffected by this issue - in fact VSC makes it the safest pickup on the market today.

Apparently the new VIGO minor change (coming this month) will see VSC added to more models in the VIGO range, and the Ford T6 Ranger coming this month also features VSC, along with a few other electronic assists (traction control, hill descent control, trailer sway control).

Quite old news - has been posted here numerous times ;)

The official story is that the Vigo failed the moose test due to the 16" wheel and tire combination used in European versions.

The official fix for this was simply an increase in wheel diameter from 16" to 17" - contrary to some urban myths, that's all that changed to rectify the issue and pass the test. The Thai market VIGO still uses 16", but the claim is the tires fitted to models here make all the difference - up to you whether that gives you the right amount of confidence or not..

The top model VIGO 4x4 double cab has had VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) for the past few years, so is totally unaffected by this issue - in fact VSC makes it the safest pickup on the market today.

Apparently the new VIGO minor change (coming this month) will see VSC added to more models in the VIGO range, and the Ford T6 Ranger coming this month also features VSC, along with a few other electronic assists (traction control, hill descent control, trailer sway control).

This test was done by Swedish magazine "Teknikens Varld", the same test and magazine flipping baby Benz A class when it was introduced.

Quick translate of what they say in the vid

"The other pickups in this test do not have the traction of the Hilux, so they drift through the track. Hilux keeps the grip, resulting in a flip to start. Testing speed is 57kmh."

ad my own comment, the others where on 15inchers easy to control drift. More rim (16inchers on this Hilux), less rubber height, better traction, less drift but easier flip. 2 ways to go. 1 is back to more drift, IOW 15 inchers. 2 is larger rim with better tyres as top model Vigo in TH, 17 inchers

The baby Benz flip and the Vigo almost flip by Teknikens Varld brought motoring safety into a new world, the world of electronic stability control in mass market vehicles.

Both where imediately equipeed with better wheels, both had within few months developed ESC to provide best handling in theyr respective classes.

ESC in a vehicle with ABS brakes is still expensive to develope. Takes million of km testdriving to program to work properly. But it is almost free to manufactor, as vehicle already has 4 sensor ABS and electronic throttle

ESC will be mandatory in Europe in all vehicles below 3,5 ton in a year or so

• 2 months later...

I believe th equivalent vehicle in Thailand is the "prerunner" a 2WD high-rise. As suspension and other components can be quite different on the Thai models it is only really a warning.

All pickups have a chassis construction and a relatively high centre of gravity and therefore can be more likely to roll over. The wieght disriburtion etc on pickups is also suspect and they have to be driven with respect.

I believe th equivalent vehicle in Thailand is the "prerunner" a 2WD high-rise. As suspension and other components can be quite different on the Thai models it is only really a warning.

All pickups have a chassis construction and a relatively high centre of gravity and therefore can be more likely to roll over. The wieght disriburtion etc on pickups is also suspect and they have to be driven with respect.

To put it simply,they are Builders Trucks, nothing more , nothing less. Some posters have this denial of Gravity.They are convinced the Leaning Tower of Pisa only happened because Toyota didnt make it. .:guitar:

:cheesy:

To put it simply,they are Builders Trucks, nothing more , nothing less. Some posters have this denial of Gravity.They are convinced the Leaning Tower of Pisa only happened because Toyota didn't make it. .:guitar:

:cheesy:

:huh:

back on topic a little bit...

must admit leaning seriously toward the 2Door 4WD Vigo in spite of the "everyone and his buffalo ownin 'em" ..negative. Two door because of my cargo bed requirements..

Yesterday had occasion to be driven for 120k round trip by BIL in his 5 yo 2 DOOR 2WD unit ( I thought it was a new one..amazing the love and affection he must shower on his vehicle)...very impressed with finish, performance and comfort.particular the high quality jump seats ( Fords are less than comfortable or attractive)...like it or not they ARE nice and certainly well proven...I guess everyone has seen the YouTubes of the Arctic and Antarctic pole trips? Ok not exactly stock units but...

I loved the little ignominious slide out cup holder on the passenger dash best...and one in the door too!! lol

must admit leaning seriously toward the 2Door 4WD Vigo in spite of the "everyone and his buffalo ownin 'em" ..negative. Two door because of my cargo bed requirements..

Yesterday had occasion to be driven for 120k round trip by BIL in his 5 yo 2 DOOR 2WD unit ( I thought it was a new one..amazing the love and affection he must shower on his vehicle)...very impressed with finish, performance and comfort.particular the high quality jump seats ( Fords are less than comfortable or attractive)...like it or not they ARE nice and certainly well proven...I guess everyone has seen the YouTubes of the Arctic and Antarctic pole trips? Ok not exactly stock units but...

I loved the little ignominious slide out cup holder on the passenger dash best...and one in the door too!! lol

Your like the 4x4 Vigo but get one that has VSC.

Didn't know you could get a 2 door only 4x4.

Just a thought!!! Which manufacturer wins most places in the first six finishers in the Lisbon Dakar Rallies? It's Mitsubishi!!! They are made from girders.

BUT BUT BUT, what you buy for your use is NOTHING like, or engineered like a rally ride. :D

Actually, Mitsu Thailand campaigned a Pajero Sport in the 2009 Dakar that used the standard car's chassis and drivetrain. Only real changes were the normal Dakar body mods, rally suspension, and some engine tweaks.

It started back around 60th, dropped to > 100th after getting bogged, but came back for an overall result of 73rd (out of 168), with best efforts being a 17th on stage 14.

Not bad for a virtually stock car, from a low-budget and inexperienced team..

parisdarka21.jpg

parisdarka5.jpg

photo41ku.jpg

pajerosport2dakar2.jpg

Thats cool, but don't these teams have a large truck following for stop overs with spare engines, axles, gearboxes and pizza's. :D

What....NO BEER ???passifier.gif

hmm ...good point.. must admit never seen one..wonder why?? After all it is supposed to be a working truck one would assume?? Ah well another frustrating visit to a dealer on the horizon eh...have to wait now though.......I just came a cropper in the wet and on 1x2 legs and crutches now....lol

Can someone tell me what the E or G means on the tailgate of the Vigo??

cheers

hmm ...good point.. must admit never seen one..wonder why?? After all it is supposed to be a working truck one would assume?? Ah well another frustrating visit to a dealer on the horizon eh...have to wait now though.......I just came a cropper in the wet and on 1x2 legs and crutches now....lol

Its worthy of note, so far no one has included a Builders Truck back in their old Country.!!. No one have a Tranny Van ??.. B.M. seems fav memory so far. Ive noticed amongst my Circle of Petrol Heads detractors of B.M. can screw up a JCB,and blame the product... These V8 Yanks should win on Engine reliability against our Triumph Heralds. Lets leave Vigoes to the Newly Weds over here.. The Haunting by a Herald made me smile, what did it do to incur such indignance...:D .

cheers

I'm guessing this is the part of that mess you actually posted ;)

The J, E, and G badges you see on Vigo's refer to their specification grade, with J being the most basic, and E being the highest spec.

I'm sure you mean G is the highest right?

Edited by teflonjon

cheers

The J, E, and G badges you see on Vigo's refer to their specification grade, with J being the most basic, and E being the highest spec.

Yes, G. :)

cheers

Yep, that's what I meant :D

That's what happens when you're posting while sending 3 emails and answering 2 phone calls all at the same time ;)

cheers

Yep, that's what I meant :D

That's what happens when you're posting while sending 3 emails and answering 2 phone calls all at the same time ;)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am guessing that multi tasking is not one of your strengths?.. ;) Hope you drive an automatic!... :lol:

Thanks for the info though.....you got there in the end...

thx..just looked up VSC on Toyota ...bloody hell...lotsa stuff to go wrong!! Remember replacing a single wheel anti- locking module on my Landrover Discovery....A$700.00+ for the unit! OUCH!

thx..just looked up VSC on Toyota ...bloody hell...lotsa stuff to go wrong!! Remember replacing a single wheel anti- locking module on my Landrover Discovery....A$700.00+ for the unit! OUCH!

Land Rover Discovery ? and Rover cars ? I found gave trouble much sooner, remember a Rover 3 series I think, not too sure, one friend had one with a Rover engine and one of my work colleague's had the same car with a Honda engine which one gave no trouble ???? :D :D .

Had a auto 3.5 V8 Rover and just over 100,000 miles on a long run would bellow out loads of blue smoke after going around corners and was using a lot of oil.

One our company cars Vauxhauls 2 Ltr Cavalier 280,000 miles and only needed the engine head shaved and it just kept going.

Brings to mind when BMW was buying up Rover or rescuing them that Honda pulled out they did not want BMW having there engine technology.:)

VSC like many things would have moved on from Land Rover days I think, Toyota wouldn't fit it otherwise, reliability is essential if you have crap dealerships, maybe they take that into account.:lol: .

Many people will probably disagree and Toyota say you shouldn't do it but I drove my 2005 4x4 Vigo in 4WD most of the time unless in town or village driving for least 40,000 kilos and it was fine I would say to anyone that if you get Vigo 4x4 and any sign of wet bendy roads stick it in 4WD and IMO you will not need VSC, still at the end of the day it's only a truck..

Funny thing, still miss something Trans said about once the ignition key position on the Vigo lights up when you get in and shut the door nice little touch that.

Edited by Kwasaki