What Are Those Green Numbered Number Plates With Normal White Background?

Green on white is normally found on a 2 door pickup (apparently there are tax advantages).

Moving to Motoring.

yepp, pickups seating 2-3 people in front seat have green on white plates

vehicles running LPG are supposed to be marked with a green sticker whith white LPG on it. NGV with CNG on it.

Green on white is normally found on a 2 door pickup (apparently there are tax advantages).

Moving to Motoring.

And I believe may be used on the 'Max cab/ King cab variants', which have a small bench seat behind the driver passenger seats and some 'suicide' doors which open backwards when the 'main' doors are open - and yes - cheaper tax!

Moving to Motoring.

And I believe may be used on the 'Max cab/ King cab variants', which have a small bench seat behind the driver passenger seats and some 'suicide' doors which open backwards when the 'main' doors are open - and yes - cheaper tax!

Just noticed in the Wiki article **** includes extended cabs

Also just noticed that the Blue on White plates that I have on my HiAce bus are for more than 7 seats - and vaguely remember being told that as a Farang I'm not allowed to drive one of these! (I have a 5yr Thai licence that clearly has apicture of one on the back!) - Can anyone confirm?

Moving to Motoring.

Also just noticed that the Blue on White plates that I have on my HiAce bus are for more than 7 seats - and vaguely remember being told that as a Farang I'm not allowed to drive one of these! (I have a 5yr Thai licence that clearly has apicture of one on the back!) - Can anyone confirm?

DLT who issues DL allows us to drive minbusses with blue on white as pictured on our DL. But labourdepartment does not allow foreigners to drive vehicles seating more than 7. Black on yellow is an absolute no no.

If an extended cab has rearseats, it is supposed to be registered and insured for 5-6 and thus should change to black on white plates and pay tax accordingly

Moving to Motoring.

DLT who issues DL allows us to drive minbusses with blue on white as pictured on our DL. But labourdepartment does not allow foreigners to drive vehicles seating more than 7. Black on yellow is an absolute no no.

If an extended cab has rearseats, it is supposed to be registered and insured for 5-6 and thus should change to black on white plates and pay tax accordingly

Thanks for clarifying both the issues (whilst the extended cab doesn't affect me) - I've removed the rear seats from my bus so it only seats 7 - though in practical terms - the more seats I remove - the more of the extended family manage to squeeze in (when I'm not driving of course)!:whistling:

Company registered vehicle license plate: 2 Green letters and 1, 2, 3 or 4 green digits, on a white background.

license-plate-business-car.jpg

Personnel transport license plates: 2 blue letters and 1, 2, 3 or 4 blue digits, on a white background.

You would need a Work Permit to drive with this plates, and you will not ever get that.

license-plate-personnel-car.jpg

Thanks for clarifying both the issues (whilst the extended cab doesn't affect me) - I've removed the rear seats from my bus so it only seats 7 - though in practical terms - the more seats I remove - the more of the extended family manage to squeeze in (when I'm not driving of course)!:whistling:

A bus seating 10 is free of importduty and excicetax, while when seating less than 10 these taxes apply. Depending on the age of you HiAce, this can be a huge amount of money. For a new toyota minibus the difference is approx 2 million baht

Company registered vehicle license plate: 2 Green letters and 1, 2, 3 or 4 green digits, on a white background.

Personnel transport license plates: 2 blue letters and 1, 2, 3 or 4 blue digits, on a white background.

You would need a Work Permit to drive with this plates, and you will not ever get that.

The green one above is nothing to do with being company registered, it merely denotes a 2 door vehicle. Four door pickups have the same as cars ie. black on white - company registered or not.

green letters does not differ between company or privately owned. one seat row seating 2-3 nomatter who the owner is

blue on white is seating minimum 10, and for private use, IOW not paying passangers.

WP is not issued to foreigners to drive any kind of vehicle

blue on white is seating minimum 10, and for private use, IOW not paying passangers.

Always thought this plates were for companies transporting employees etc.

Yes, not paying passengers.

So you thought green on white and blue on white were company vehicles thats an awfull lot of companys and vehicles, Thailand is doing well.:lol:

A bus seating 10 is free of importduty and excicetax, while when seating less than 10 these taxes apply. Depending on the age of you HiAce, this can be a huge amount of money. For a new toyota minibus the difference is approx 2 million baht

The age is irrelevant (only in my case)! I traded up from a 1991 HiAce in the UK, that I had to sell for 'scrap' (as it had failed the yearly MOT for the first time in 17 years that I'd owned it), when I moved to Thailand. My 1992 Diesel has given me some worries, nothing dramatic, but finding the right garage, with the right tools - and a comprehensive List, translated into Thai - seems to have worked! 6000km of worried, but not 'scared' motoring! Driving and delivering my step kids - first - away from home (not abroad - but far enough for them to think it is)!

Driving is a privilege, riding is more of a privilege! Being able to appreciate the adventure, but ensuring that your adventure is not someone elses bad day, is part of your experience, knowledge and roadcraft!

Every time you venture on to the streets, think about you, your family and other people that love you! (And wheelie poppin is acceptable, if you've trained yourself in the environment!)

The age is irrelevant (only in my case)! I traded up from a 1991 HiAce in the UK, that I had to sell for 'scrap' (as it had failed the yearly MOT for the first time in 17 years that I'd owned it), when I moved to Thailand. My 1992 Diesel has given me some worries, nothing dramatic, but finding the right garage, with the right tools - and a comprehensive List, translated into Thai - seems to have worked! 6000km of worried, but not 'scared' motoring! Driving and delivering my step kids - first - away from home (not abroad - but far enough for them to think it is)!

Driving is a privilege, riding is more of a privilege! Being able to appreciate the adventure, but ensuring that your adventure is not someone elses bad day, is part of your experience, knowledge and roadcraft!

Every time you venture on to the streets, think about you, your family and other people that love you! (And wheelie poppin is acceptable, if you've trained yourself in the environment!)

The age of your HiAce is indeed relevant to determine how much tax you owe from removing seats, making it move from minibus to car. The size of seats is not important in TH, so suggest you keep it seating 10 with some tiny seats to avoid major tax claim

Green on white is normally found on a 2 door pickup is correct these days, but it is not clear cut...

Because there are so many 2 door pickups on white with black + a few 4 door on white with green it is very confusing..

Last week had to go to Nonthaburi so popped in to ask the nice lady....

It appears that older ones have white with black letters, then came a problem with selling so many and running out of numbers, so came the green letters = double the amount of number comber-nations, but again it is not clear cut, she said that if you order a 2 door pickup and have a canopy fitted before it is registered you can have black letters, A Company can have a 4 door pickup with green letters but cannot add a canopy..

She then went on to explain that if you buy 2nd hand and then move it to a different Provence to registrar it the colour of the letter can change..

The yearly road tax is less then 1/2 for a green letter number plates.... My 1st 2 door pickup in Thailand I was asked if I wanted black or green letters, as it was for Business use I said green, my 2nd one in 2008 was not asked but green arrived, my new one still on red plates will also be green letters appointment next Monday to change the red plates at the Dealer.

Another odd thing cannot work out, my 2nd car bought here I bought in Bangkok 2nd hand and went to Nonthaburi to registrar it in my name, I now have a Nonthaburi Provence number plate, yet in the Village 63 houses there is only 3 with Nonthaburi numbers, all the rest except 1 has Bangkok plates, the odd one is a Phuket number plate. when I go out notice that 90% of all cars/pickups around here have Bangkok number plates.

Green on white is normally found on a 2 door pickup is correct these days, but it is not clear cut...

Because there are so many 2 door pickups on white with black + a few 4 door on white with green it is very confusing..

Last week had to go to Nonthaburi so popped in to ask the nice lady....

It appears that older ones have white with black letters, then came a problem with selling so many and running out of numbers, so came the green letters = double the amount of number comber-nations, but again it is not clear cut, she said that if you order a 2 door pickup and have a canopy fitted before it is registered you can have black letters, A Company can have a 4 door pickup with green letters but cannot add a canopy..

She then went on to explain that if you buy 2nd hand and then move it to a different Provence to registrar it the colour of the letter can change..

The yearly road tax is less then 1/2 for a green letter number plates.... My 1st 2 door pickup in Thailand I was asked if I wanted black or green letters, as it was for Business use I said green, my 2nd one in 2008 was not asked but green arrived, my new one still on red plates will also be green letters appointment next Monday to change the red plates at the Dealer.

Another odd thing cannot work out, my 2nd car bought here I bought in Bangkok 2nd hand and went to Nonthaburi to registrar it in my name, I now have a Nonthaburi Provence number plate, yet in the Village 63 houses there is only 3 with Nonthaburi numbers, all the rest except 1 has Bangkok plates, the odd one is a Phuket number plate. when I go out notice that 90% of all cars/pickups around here have Bangkok number plates.

bangkok plates considered fashion, bikes and cars. But actually bkk plates are the ones pulled over most frequently at Province crossing checkpoints

I am looking into this,

but I believe a 2 door with green plates must change to black on white if they install legal rear seats, IOW from seating 2-3 to 5-6. 10 seats must change to blue on white.

and the other way, to register 4 door PU to seat 2-3 in front only (take out rear seat). Probably green on white. Not only less road tax, approx 100k baht saved in excicetax aswell on a million baht PU

The age of your HiAce is indeed relevant to determine how much tax you owe from removing seats, making it move from minibus to car. The size of seats is not important in TH, so suggest you keep it seating 10 with some tiny seats to avoid major tax claim

Thanks for that, seats in, seats out? Do you happen to know what vehicle the tax man drives - I'd like to avoid him, 2 million Baht tax for my old bus - extravagant! Just remembered, I dont own anything, I'm not sure the missus will be pleased with her potential tax debt! Though there is an offer for driving round in a truck/van advertising some political parties 800-1000B a day for the next month or so!:unsure:

...Also just noticed that the Blue on White plates that I have on my HiAce bus are for more than 7 seats - and vaguely remember being told that as a Farang I'm not allowed to drive one of these! (I have a 5yr Thai licence that clearly has apicture of one on the back!) - Can anyone confirm?

Sorry, but although I am sure this is well-intentioned it is nothing more than one of those "urban myths" all too often heard In Thai forums and bars.

The Thai Labour Department has no authority to legislate who can and cannot drive what vehicles, although it can and does designate which jobs foreigners are and are not allowed to do. It is not part of the legal process and does not make, enforce, interpret or apply laws – those are the responsibility of the legislature, the police, the public prosecutor and the judiciary.

There is no law prohibiting any foreigner from owning a vehicle with a blue on white plate (10 seats or more), or from driving it as long as they have a suitable licence. The only relevant law is that prohibiting foreigners without the correct work permits from using these (or any other) vehicles for "hire or reward" (the Immigration Department's executive area, not the Labour Department's).

There is, simply, no such ban or offence. That is not to say that no-one has ever been "fined" by the Police for doing so – regrettably the only people more corrupt and inept than those who enforce our laws are those who make them, so you could just as easily and with just as much (or as little) legitimacy find yourself being fined because it is raining or there is an "r" in the month.

Legally, the position is clear: you are fully entitled to own a vehicle with a blue on white plate, and/or to drive it as long as you have a basic (car/pick-up/minibus) driving licence. What you may not do as a foreigner without an appropriate work permit is to use it for "hire and reward" – that includes, for example, driving your family or friends if they pay for the fuel, buy you a meal, etc. If it is in your wife's name and she is the "breadwinner" in the family it is possible but highly unlikely that a case could be made that you are driving the vehicle as an employee.

Practically, the position is also pretty clear: you could be given a comparatively small "on the spot fine" by the Police for an imaginary offence. It is up to you whether to pay it or to insist on going to court, but you could consider it a small price to pay in comparison to the considerable amount you are saving in annual/excise/import tax.

What you should not do, under any circumstances, is remove some seats thinking you are then complying with the law: you are not – you are breaking it. If you want to reduce the number of seats for any reason you would need to register the change at the DLT and to pay the additional taxes which could be considerable. If you have not done so and you have less than 10 seats when stopped or when the vehicle is checked you could have the vehicle impounded and it would not be a question of just a small fine and replacing the seats – you would be liable for a large fine and for the original taxes in full (several hundred thousand baht, possibly millions).

Removing the rear seats from a 4 door pick up would not reduce the tax liability, although I am sure any attempt would amuse the DLT and the tax-man.

Be very cautious of any of the "legal" advice you may be given, whoever it is by: well-intentioned does not necessarily mean well-informed and taking some of that advice could be costly.

Edited by SweatiePie

...Also just noticed that the Blue on White plates that I have on my HiAce bus are for more than 7 seats - and vaguely remember being told that as a Farang I'm not allowed to drive one of these! (I have a 5yr Thai licence that clearly has apicture of one on the back!) - Can anyone confirm?

Sorry, but although I am sure this is well-intentioned it is nothing more than one of those "urban myths" all too often heard In Thai forums and bars.

The Thai Labour Department has no authority to legislate who can and cannot drive what vehicles, although it can and does designate which jobs foreigners are and are not allowed to do. It is not part of the legal process and does not make, enforce, interpret or apply laws – those are the responsibility of the legislature, the police, the public prosecutor and the judiciary.

There is no law prohibiting any foreigner from owning a vehicle with a blue on white plate (10 seats or more), or from driving it as long as they have a suitable licence. The only relevant law is that prohibiting foreigners without the correct work permits from using these (or any other) vehicles for "hire or reward" (the Immigration Department's executive area, not the Labour Department's).

There is, simply, no such ban or offence. That is not to say that no-one has ever been "fined" by the Police for doing so – regrettably the only people more corrupt and inept than those who enforce our laws are those who make them, so you could just as easily and with just as much (or as little) legitimacy find yourself being fined because it is raining or there is an "r" in the month.

Legally, the position is clear: you are fully entitled to own a vehicle with a blue on white plate, and/or to drive it as long as you have a basic (car/pick-up/minibus) driving licence. What you may not do as a foreigner without an appropriate work permit is to use it for "hire and reward" – that includes, for example, driving your family or friends if they pay for the fuel, buy you a meal, etc. If it is in your wife's name and she is the "breadwinner" in the family it is possible but highly unlikely that a case could be made that you are driving the vehicle as an employee.

Practically, the position is also pretty clear: you could be given a comparatively small "on the spot fine" by the Police for an imaginary offence. It is up to you whether to pay it or to insist on going to court, but you could consider it a small price to pay in comparison to the considerable amount you are saving in annual/excise/import tax.

What you should not do, under any circumstances, is remove some seats thinking you are then complying with the law: you are not – you are breaking it. If you want to reduce the number of seats for any reason you would need to register the change at the DLT and to pay the additional taxes which could be considerable. If you have not done so and you have less than 10 seats when stopped or when the vehicle is checked you could have the vehicle impounded and it would not be a question of just a small fine and replacing the seats – you would be liable for a large fine and for the original taxes in full (several hundred thousand baht, possibly millions).

Removing the rear seats from a 4 door pick up would not reduce the tax liability, although I am sure any attempt would amuse the DLT and the tax-man.

Be very cautious of any of the "legal" advice you may be given, whoever it is by: well-intentioned does not necessarily mean well-informed and taking some of that advice could be costly.

Foreigners can own any vehilce in TH, including tour busses and 18 wheelers. However we are not allowed to operate vehicles seating more than 7 or vehicles having black on yellow plates. Operating these vehicles are for Thai nationals only. Labordepartment does not consider if foreign operator of vehicle has financial gain from operating it or does it for free. I agree there is very little chance of getting caught driving a blue on white plated vehicle, but lack of enforcement does not change the law. I would not be surpised when an Insurancecompany facing a 10-20 million baht claim from blue on white vehicle operated by foreigner would contact Labourdepartment to make claim invalid.

At least we agree on removing seats from a blue on white plated vehicle to be less than 10 seats, releases major financial claims and possible impound until claims are payed.

Anyone in doubt of the legal advice given by ThaiVisa members should in this case consult with Department of land Transportation, Revenue Department/Excicie taxes and Labourdepartment. They will usually be able to provide an english translation of rules and laws. My source is reading these rules.

Foreigners can own any vehilce in TH, including tour busses and 18 wheelers. However we are not allowed to operate vehicles seating more than 7 or vehicles having black on yellow plates. Operating these vehicles are for Thai nationals only. Labordepartment does not consider if foreign operator of vehicle has financial gain from operating it or does it for free. I agree there is very little chance of getting caught driving a blue on white plated vehicle, but lack of enforcement does not change the law. I would not be surpised when an Insurancecompany facing a 10-20 million baht claim from blue on white vehicle operated by foreigner would contact Labourdepartment to make claim invalid.

As I said before, the law is very clear on this point - the only relevant law refers to employment and is the 5th prohibited occupation of 39 (Driving motor vehicles or vehicles which do not use machinery or mechanical devices, except piloting aircraft internationally.) It refers to any and all motor vehicles, irrespective of their size, type and registration plate, including those with black on white plates even if they are appropriately insured. It is the occupation which is defined and prohibited, not the vehicle.

Vehicles with blue on white plates are or can be for private use - totally different from those with black on yellow plates which are only for vehicles for hire or reward, as are those with white on green plates. While all plates indicate the vehicle's class, black on yellow and white on green plates indicate the vehicle's function, while blue on white indicate its type.

I never said or suggested that there was "very little chance of getting caught driving a blue on white plated vehicle" or any "lack of enforcement" of what is a non-existent law. What I said, although apparently I was not clear, was that any such "on the spot fines" were not enforceable under the law but would probably be best paid.

What would or would not "surprise" you is irrelevant.

Anyone in doubt of the legal advice given by ThaiVisa members should in this case consult with Department of land Transportation, Revenue Department/Excicie taxes and Labourdepartment. They will usually be able to provide an english translation of rules and laws. My source is reading these rules.

In that case you should have no problem at all in providing a link to those from the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare or the Department of Labour Protection and Welfare, which are widely available on the internet and which would end this disagreement. The only relevant law is the Alien Employment Act, often known as the Working of Aliens Act, of 2551 (2008) which replaced and repealed those of BE 2521 (1978) and 2544 (2001) and the list of proscribed occupations as given by the Department of Employment of the Ministry of Labour (Office of Foreign Workers Administration).

It is, unfortunately, not possible for me to provide a link to something which does not exist but should you be able to provide any such authoritative and verifiable link I will, of course, resign from this board and from my position as a Doctor of Law in Thailand.

Doing shopping the other day (5 km) I spotted 3 four door pick-ups with green text plates,

Thank goodness for that... I thought I was going blind, or seeing things

[As per another post on same subject did go out to local market on Sunday with Cam but normal 4 door pickups with green letter were not there]

Doing shopping the other day (5 km) I spotted 3 four door pick-ups with green text plates,

yepp, I have seen them too, but still dot know if they are registered with one seatrow (2-3 people) or two seatrows (5-6people), and as a result what their excice tax was on purchase and what their annual tax is.

yepp, I have seen them too, but still dot know if they are registered with one seatrow (2-3 people) or two seatrows (5-6people), and as a result what their excise tax was on purchase and what their annual tax is.

They are registered as four door, 5-6 seat cars, with the appropriate taxes.

Some DLT offices have simply chosen to give all pick-ups green plates based on their function rather than their type (see my previous post), as this affects the speeds at which they can legally be driven on major roads and is considerably more logical. A two door or space cab (4 door) pick-up with a green letter plate cannot legally be driven on major roads (highways, expressways, etc) at the same speed as a four door pick-up with a black letter plate as one is classified as a truck and the other as a car. This is an attempt to rectify that anomaly which the DLT has yet to address nation-wide, although it is currently under review.

The current vehicle legislation has a number of anomalies like this which are under review and have been for a considerable time; the problem is that every time a government changes the proposed amendments also change as this will affect tax revenues, so the changes are delayed. Vehicle classification is not as simple as the number of seats and rows of seats, which is the current major classifier, and the plan is to make it primarily dependent on the vehicle's function rather than the number of doors and seats which is clearly out-dated. A two door sports car with two seats, for example, is still classified as a car despite the number and rows of seats, not as a truck.

yepp, I have seen them too, but still dot know if they are registered with one seatrow (2-3 people) or two seatrows (5-6people), and as a result what their excise tax was on purchase and what their annual tax is.

They are registered as four door, 5-6 seat cars, with the appropriate taxes.

Some DLT offices have simply chosen to give all pick-ups green plates based on their function rather than their type (see my previous post), as this affects the speeds at which they can legally be driven on major roads and is considerably more logical. A two door or space cab (4 door) pick-up with a green letter plate cannot legally be driven on major roads (highways, expressways, etc) at the same speed as a four door pick-up with a black letter plate as one is classified as a truck and the other as a car. This is an attempt to rectify that anomaly which the DLT has yet to address nation-wide, although it is currently under review.

The current vehicle legislation has a number of anomalies like this which are under review and have been for a considerable time; the problem is that every time a government changes the proposed amendments also change as this will affect tax revenues, so the changes are delayed. Vehicle classification is not as simple as the number of seats and rows of seats, which is the current major classifier, and the plan is to make it primarily dependent on the vehicle's function rather than the number of doors and seats which is clearly out-dated. A two door sports car with two seats, for example, is still classified as a car despite the number and rows of seats, not as a truck.

Could you provide a link stating pickups 2 doors, pickup 4 doors and cars are subject to different speed limits, green/black on white plates? 4 wheel vehicles only please.

I am a Highway Police Volunteer and have never heard about it

Could you also mention some of the DLT providing green on white plates for 5 seat 4 door pickups, with same annual tax as black on white 4 door 5 seat pickups?

and could you please stop underscore words, as most of us expect a link when pressing it

The major classifier for vehicle taxes, except import and domestic manufactored, is wether vehicle is build on chassie/frame or monocoque, engine cc/hp, and not number of seats/rows. All monocoques are classed as cars in TH even pickups. Except one vehicle class, busses where moncoque is allowed excice free for minimum 10 seats