Major Cineplex Price Increase

gaga2011

Oh and I was a bit dissapointed that Big C only seems to show Thai language movies now.

We generally stop over one night in Chachoengsao on the way to/from airport depending on flights, good cinema complex there next to Tesco-Lotus, but have never seen a movie in English, or even with English subtitles; same goes for Chanthaburi which is nearest to us, simply not the demand; tickets at both are 120b which seems standard now, up from 100 a few months back. Saw the latest Pirates one on Wednesday, a silly time-filler that was.

Cost-wise? As a comparison with NZ where I was living 3 years ago, at that time $16 entry fee and another $8-10 for parking the car in their undercover park, sure to have gone up by now.

120 is fine for us, that extra 20b will hardly put us off going out for an evening.

Where we were living previously, have a farm there, cinemas were 130 or 170km away, most of the locals have never seen 'the big screen'.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Avenue last night and I can confirm the Wednesday price is 80 baht up from 60 baht. Although the cinema may not give discounts on new releases in its first week.

I saw Hangover 2 which makes Thais and Thailand look angry, dirty, an overbearingly judgemental culture, and stupid. It shows the uncaring dimwitted Thai police and the ignorance of Thai hotel staff while a wrapped up dead body is carried around.

You've probably all seen the trailer where the guy getting married has the Mike Tyson face tattoo on his face. Well, when he finally shows up to his wedding, his Thai wife doesn't even ask him about the tattoo at their reunion. Doesn't make Thai women look too good either.

There was a harmless running ladyboy gag. You knew that would be in there.

There was also a major fire at a string of discos and gogos caused by the 3 main characters and when they return to the scene of the fire the next day, you see some Thais casually sweeping up the burnt debris. In real life, the Thais would have killed them en masse.

I too am a fan of movies but I am not spoiled for choice so I do all my downloading and enjoy movies at home. I recommend you see Fargo if you haven't already.

By bringing films up to 80 baht, people will rationalize that for only 40 baht more, they can go see a movie any day or any time. I think it will work.

I was just in Patters and saw a Thai movie at Big C and Thor at the Avenue. What I thought was funny was the popcorn and coke pricing. Avenue gives you a size choice. At Big C there was One size. A freaking horse feed sized bucket of popcorn that I could not hope to even finish half of, and two liters sized cup of coke I estimate. So, you pay a bit more than necessary just to throw stuff out. I wonder if they assume you will be not going alone or will be feeding the family or girl when you go, or they just want to sell large quantities to move product out the door?

Oh and I was a bit dissapointed that Big C only seems to show Thai language movies now. Sometimes with english subtitles. I saw Jukhelan or something like that. I don't mind listening to the Thai. It helps me learn the language. Just making an observation on the types of movies they show there now.

This started over 2 years ago when Central Festival opened i.e. they stopped showing movies with English soundtracks.

By bringing films up to 80 baht, people will rationalize that for only 40 baht more, they can go see a movie any day or any time. I think it will work.

The saving is 80 baht as people don't normally go to movies alone.

My goodness! - bringing movies in new air-conditioned cinemas up to $2.66.

One would have thought that the concept of making Wednesday a cheap movie night would have been aimed primarily at Thai customers. I'm astonished at how many foreigners organise their week around this cheap movie night.

The saving is 80 baht as people don't normally go to movies alone.

My goodness! - bringing movies in new air-conditioned cinemas up to $2.66.

One would have thought that the concept of making Wednesday a cheap movie night would have been aimed primarily at Thai customers. I'm astonished at how many foreigners organise their week around this cheap movie night.

Balloon chasing cineastes...only in Pattaya :)

I don't mind paying 120 or 170 or whatever for the movie, it's still cheap. I think 169 for a tub of popcorn and a cup of pop is a bit steep though.

Are cinema snacks ever cheap anywhere? For the cheap charlies - you can easily sneak 7-11 snacks in as they don't do bag checks anymore (they used to when they first opened) - the cheap charlies probably already know this.

my complaint is there is nothing, nothing worth seeing lately or is it usually?

well except of course for the hangover II ;)

The Lincoln Lawyer and Limitless are recent films and they got decent reviews.

playing on the big screen in pattaya?????

Yep...both were playing in Pattaya a couple weeks ago.

However, these non-action hero foreign films don't stay around long, so if you blinked, you might have missed them :lol:

i must have blinked

a real shame

please PM if you see something like this again

i must have been out of town or asleep or blinking

warning

i believe the cheese flavored pop (arroy) at the avenue is loaded with MSG

no shocker there unless you are allergic

someone mentioned fargo

anything coen brothers is usually fantastic

they are often funny and deep too a very rare combination

(woody allen anyone?)

i must have seen lady killers on shopon half a dozen times

and it never gets boring

brilliant and hysterical characters

oh yeah intolerable cruelty as well brilliant

be sure to see raising Arizona and hudsucker proxy

and google coen brothers

http://www.google.co...iw=1045&bih=516

I don't mind paying 120 or 170 or whatever for the movie, it's still cheap. I think 169 for a tub of popcorn and a cup of pop is a bit steep though.

Are cinema snacks ever cheap anywhere? For the cheap charlies - you can easily sneak 7-11 snacks in as they don't do bag checks anymore (they used to when they first opened) - the cheap charlies probably already know this.

Are you calling me a cheap charlie for thinking that popcorn and soda at a combined production cost of about 20 baht (max) selling for 169 baht is a rip off?

However, these non-action hero foreign films don't stay around long, so if you blinked, you might have missed them :lol:

i must have blinked

a real shame

Both of the major Thai theatre chains, Major and SFX, maintain good English language websites that show current and upcoming movies. Showtimes are also set-out and you can also reserve your seats online.

Both also have Android apps for that smartphone platform.

Are you calling me a cheap charlie for thinking that popcorn and soda at a combined production cost of about 20 baht (max) selling for 169 baht is a rip off?

Dont worry,you are in good company..Tropo admitted he is a cheap charlie himself by telling us the cheap charlies smuggle in snacks from the 7-11 :lol:

No. I was giving information about how you can bring in your own snacks and suggesting that cinema snacks are always overpriced.

Dont worry,you are in good company..Tropo admitted he is a cheap charlie himself by telling us the cheap charlies smuggle in snacks from the 7-11 :lol:

You're right, I do smuggle in my own snacks, but the main reason is that I cannot find the kind of snacks I like at the cinema - they don't have much. The other reason is that they are too expensive.:lol:

i must have blinked

a real shame

Both of the major Thai theatre chains, Major and SFX, maintain good English language websites that show current and upcoming movies. Showtimes are also set-out and you can also reserve your seats online.

Both also have Android apps for that smartphone platform.

i check movieseer.com regularly and have tgf call to check for show times

usually twice a week

i dont know how these slipped by me

but no surprise

perhaps they only were showing during the day

i see movies at night

maybe i should try a day movie

BTW folks i saw hangover II

IMHO crap

nothing like the first one

also please note

major has a millennium card

when it was offered to me earlier in the year

it was a good deal

it cost 100 baht but i got that all back in credit

and films still only cost 120 baht at major while using it

on weekends

and even less during the week

That Avenue Mall needs to be torn down and turned into a nice hotel. Maybe get the people at LK to make another stylish one.

TheWalkingMan

LK hotels are not stylish, they resemble upmarket brothels!

That Avenue Mall needs to be torn down and turned into a nice hotel. Maybe get the people at LK to make another stylish one.

TheWalkingMan

LK hotels are not stylish, they resemble upmarket brothels!

In Pattaya, upmarket brothels are the epitome of style. Sort of like a 30sqm bedsitter being marketed as "ultimate luxury".:whistling:

You're right, I do smuggle in my own snacks, but the main reason is that I cannot find the kind of snacks I like at the cinema - they don't have much. The other reason is that they are too expensive.:lol:

What annoys me is that I can't buy a bottle of water at the cinema as my family don't drink coke / pepsi, I have to remember to go down to Villa Mart before going in.

This is a really interesting and revealing thread.

It started by a poster concerned about yet another price jump in Pattaya. Namely, cinema tickets rising from 60 to 80 baht. But as usual the poster was quickly attacked, people said he must be very poor/tight/stupid if he didn't have a measly extra 20 baht or didn't understand that even at 80 baht it is still excellent value because some posters said that it is more expensive in some other city in some other country. I guess those posters just want to show off about being "rich" as they have the extra 20 baht. Well done, I am sure everybody is impressed at how rich you are (LOL).

Don't any of these people get the bigger picture, or do they think the post is just about 20 baht? If someone said the price had jumped by 33% would that get their attention? If someone said put it into context where many other prices are leaping by similar percentages would they still not get the bigger picture?

Do any of you understand how fast inflation of say, 5-10% a year will render most of you, even the ones who show off about having no problem paying an extra 20 baht, impoverished in a decade or so?

I find it amazing that so few recognise the broader significance of runaway inflation, especially for people on a fixed income or otherwise living off of savings. An analogy might be if you were sitting in a cinema and you smelled smoke would you laugh and say "its just a little smoke, don't panic" or would you think "there is no smoke without fire and being in a crowded cinema where there might be a fire might be a bad idea"?

So, anyway, finally, the post descended into one about the kind of snacks being sold at the cinema.

What is the average educational level of Pattaya expats? I mean if its very low I can understand the ignorance, but I would have thought just a lifetime of experience should tell people that rising inflation, even if illustrated by seemingly small examples, is a serious threat to your existences. The OP is right to be alarmed about these price increases, they are a really bad omen. Pity post of you seem too small minded to see that.

It started by a poster concerned about yet another price jump in Pattaya. Namely, cinema tickets rising from 60 to 80 baht. But as usual the poster was quickly attacked, people said he must be very poor/tight/stupid if he didn't have a measly extra 20 baht or didn't understand that even at 80 baht it is still excellent value because some posters said that it is more expensive in some other city in some other country. I guess those posters just want to show off about being "rich" as they have the extra 20 baht. Well done, I am sure everybody is impressed at how rich you are (LOL).

Don't any of these people get the bigger picture, or do they think the post is just about 20 baht? If someone said the price had jumped by 33% would that get their attention? If someone said put it into context where many other prices are leaping by similar percentages would they still not get the bigger picture?

Do any of you understand how fast inflation of say, 5-10% a year will render most of you, even the ones who show off about having no problem paying an extra 20 baht, impoverished in a decade or so?

I find it amazing that so few recognise the broader significance of runaway inflation, especially for people on a fixed income or otherwise living off of savings. An analogy might be if you were sitting in a cinema and you smelled smoke would you laugh and say "its just a little smoke, don't panic" or would you think "there is no smoke without fire and being in a crowded cinema where there might be a fire might be a bad idea"?

So, anyway, finally, the post descended into one about the kind of snacks being sold at the cinema.

What is the average educational level of Pattaya expats? I mean if its very low I can understand the ignorance, but I would have thought just a lifetime of experience should tell people that rising inflation, even if illustrated by seemingly small examples, is a serious threat to your existences. The OP is right to be alarmed about these price increases, they are a really bad omen. Pity post of you seem too small minded to see that.

At a guess I would say higher than yours. Do you really need to insult people who have a better grasp on reality than you do?

This has absolutely nothing to do with inflation. Ticket prices have in general remained the same or reduced since the cinema opened. The only tickets that have gone up is the price of a special once-a-week promotion on Wednesday.

If you really want to push this 33% inflation nonsense, you need to be aware that this cheap Wednesday promotion has only been going for about a year or so, therefore you could just as easily conclude that Wednesday tickets have gone done by 33% (120 to 80) on Wednesdays because they used to be 120 when the cinema complex first opened in October 2007 and stayed at that level for a few years. The ticket prices have also gone down from 120 to 100 on Mon, Tues and Thurs compared to when they first opened.

Edited by tropo

At a guess I would say higher than yours. Do you really need to insult people who have a better grasp on reality than you do?

This has absolutely nothing to do with inflation. Ticket prices have in general remained the same or reduced since the cinema opened. The only tickets that have gone up is the price of a special once-a-week promotion on Wednesday.

If you really want to push this 33% inflation nonsense, you need to be aware that this cheap Wednesday promotion has only been going for about a year or so, therefore you could just as easily conclude that Wednesday tickets have gone done by 33% (120 to 80) on Wednesdays because they used to be 120 when the cinema complex first opened in October 2007 and stayed at that level for a few years. The ticket prices have also gone down from 120 to 100 on Mon, Tues and Thurs compared to when they first opened.

80 baht was the price of the now defunct movie cinemplex at Royal Garden(and they sold beer there too) . Maybe the cinema owners saw a massive rejection by the moviegoer of the new prices and decided on the discount day as a compromise?

Personally I rarely see any movies in the cinema as I find most of them them to be so formulaic and shallow - certainly not worth 120 Baht And of course there are alternatives to seeing em at the theatre....

Funny thing how the cheap charlie as you say would jump off the building with the higher price of 20 or 30 baht but still they go to down thousands of baht on beer and give the bargirl 3000baht to spent the night

even on other thread some guy saying if he should pay double sinsot :o:lol:

Yes you are quite right, one of the chief reasons for living in Thailand was the low cost of living,but the price rises on offer now more than outweigh that reason, as more than a few are now expressing.Personally I have seen over the past 10 or so years the best and worst of Thailand and there is no reason at all for my stay here in the kingdom any longer I am off to other destinations. While I have voiced my opinion to others and have been berated,chiefly by people who are trapped here by property,family commitment or business,so to think the unthinkable is an impossibilty to some. I am only too happy never to have bought a property here.,plus I think the attitude by Thais to foreigners has changed remarkably

Edited by Rimmer
Quoted nested replies removed

One inflammatory and argumentative post and a quoted reply removed from view. If you have an alternative view from a poster then discuss it, there is no need for name calling and derogatory remarks and it will not be tolerated.

Yes the whole world is falling apart.

The special cheap charlie price has gone from 60baht to 80 baht.

It is the thin edge of the wedge.

It is symptomatic of a wider conspiracy of rising prices and anti farang sentiment sweeping Thailand.

What will be next?

The price of beer at Tops rising 5 baht a bottle!

It is symptomatic of a wider conspiracy of rising prices and anti farang sentiment sweeping Thailand.

What will be next?

It could be beer, it could be food, it could be transport, it could be hotels, it could be apartment rents, it could be medical expenses. You name it, that could be it. In general, its known as inflation. And of the things I know you worry about, health problems, loneliness, whatever, inflation should be high up on the list. You see, for someone such as yourself on a small pension or a low income, inflation will slowly eat away at your quality of life. In the beginning you will belittle it, you will laugh at people who comment on a few baht here or a few baht there. But in time you will begin to understand the bigger picture and feel the pain. You are like a frog in water that is slowly being heated. At first you feel fine, you don't understand what is happening, then you start to feel a little warm but you still feel all is fine. Then it gets hotter and hotter and before long you will be squawking with pain...then dead. Thats inflation my friend. A lot of the falangs who were here 10 years ago are long gone now. I bet they laughed at a few baht here and a few baht there, but where are they now? I will tell you, they are gone, priced out. In time, you will probably be gone too, wondering how your dream became a nightmare.

It could be beer, it could be food, it could be transport, it could be hotels, it could be apartment rents, it could be medical expenses. You name it, that could be it. In general, its known as inflation. And of the things I know you worry about, health problems, loneliness, whatever, inflation should be high up on the list. You see, for someone such as yourself on a small pension or a low income, inflation will slowly eat away at your quality of life. In the beginning you will belittle it, you will laugh at people who comment on a few baht here or a few baht there. But in time you will begin to understand the bigger picture and feel the pain. You are like a frog in water that is slowly being heated. At first you feel fine, you don't understand what is happening, then you start to feel a little warm but you still feel all is fine. Then it gets hotter and hotter and before long you will be squawking with pain...then dead. Thats inflation my friend. A lot of the falangs who were here 10 years ago are long gone now. I bet they laughed at a few baht here and a few baht there, but where are they now? I will tell you, they are gone, priced out. In time, you will probably be gone too, wondering how your dream became a nightmare.

Yes, it is not so much the 20 bhat increase or whatever it was, it is the "increase" itself. One small increase is not so bad. But lots of small increases can get expensive. It boggles the mind that so many expats seem to laugh at this and make fun of people who point out a price increase, small or not. Perhaps many are not on a fixed income, but maybe some day they will be on a fixed income. And maybe they will look back and say to themselves, "Did I really say that on ThaiVisa?"

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Yes, it is not so much the 20 bhat increase or whatever it was, it is the "increase" itself. One small increase is not so bad. But lots of small increases can get expensive. It boggles the mind that so many expats seem to laugh at this and make fun of people who point out a price increase, small or not. Perhaps many are not on a fixed income, but maybe some day they will be on a fixed income. And maybe they will look back and say to themselves, "Did I really say that on ThaiVisa?"

That's why most financial advisors, including most mothers, don't recommend keeping one's savings stuffed in a mattress but in some type of investment vehicle which will, over time, match (or if you are lucky beat) the general inflation level. Of course, this doesn't take into account of depreciating/appreciating currencies if one's source of funds is outside the country in which one resides.

But I digress from the topic of the price of movie tickets in Pattaya. As a point of reference, when I moved to Thailand over a decade ago, the price of tickets in Bangkok was B80-120 a ticket. So from my point of view, the price has barely changed (actually no change) so no inflation in ticket prices in over a decade.That's at least in nominal baht terms...in dollars, I was getting 40-1 then and about 30-1 now so for me there has been a steep price increase. However, if I was Thai or working in Thailand, the price would not have changed (and actually gone down as the assumption would be that my wages might have doubled over the decade so the time necessary for me to work to buy that ticket went down dramatically).

Edited by FarangBuddha

What do you suggest? A new thread on here every time something goes up in price? Best to suck it up or move on and not let it stress you out because no amount of complaining will change a thing. The way some people carry on you'd think that nothing goes up in price in their home countries.

Overall the price of movies at the Avenue has decreased since they opened. They didn't have cheap movie nights and the price during the week was 20 baht higher. Now they've increased the price of a special movie night and everyone is screaming "inflation" ..."oh woe is me, my world is imploding"....or something to that effect.

What will be next?

Please dont put me in the same basket as others that have retired in Thailand.

I have seen the calibre of many of them and I am not surprised at all that they are broke now or desperate or gone to live in Bangladesh where it is cheaper.

Put it this way I wouldn't consider retiring on anything less than 150k baht a month indexed and that is the absolute bare minimum.

And before you start sprouting how much money this is it represents less than the average wage in Australia today so we are not talking huge money.

If you dont have enough money to retire in your home country then you really shouldn't be thinking of retiring in Thailand.