Chilly Night On Thai Train Sends Editor To The Er

dunkin2012

Chilly Night on Thai Train Sends Editor to the ER

by Fenella Pearson05/30/11 p1000210.jpg Fenella Pearson in the outpatient clinic at the McCormick Hospital in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Photo credit: Dimity Kirwan If you’ve ever traveled on Metro-North when the thermostat is stuck on “arctic,” try imagining an overnight trip from Bangkok to Chiang Mai on Thai Railways (12 hours per the schedule, plus three more just for the heck of it) with the temperature set to “North Pole” and the fan speed on “tornado.”

By the time we arrived in Chiang Mai, the tickle in my throat had developed into a case of instant bronchitis. I sounded like Bryn Terfel as the Commendatore in Mozart’s “Don Giovanni.” Of course, I’d forgotten to buy any trip insurance, so I was a bit worried that I’d blow my holiday budget on a doctor before I’d even set foot in Chiang Mai’s famous Night Bazaar.

The hotel receptionist sent us off to the McCormick Hospital, just around the corner. When you live in a country like the U.S., with its world-famous medical institutions, turning up at a local hospital in northern Thailand has a frisson of adventure. As the taxi drew up to the Emergency sign, a pretty nurse in a crisp uniform jumped up to greet us. “You are sick?” she asked as I coughed and spluttered. She led me through a dazzlingly white modern building with gleaming tile floors and rows of neat blue chairs. Within five minutes I’d been registered, had my blood pressure and temperature taken and was sitting outside Room 2 waiting to see the doctor.

The doctor, a middle-aged lady who spoke perfect English, knew exactly what the problem was by the time I croaked hello. “You have a sore throat, too,” she told me, whipping out an industrial-sized flashlight and pointing it down my throat. A quick listen to the lungs and heart reassured her that I was in no imminent danger of expiring on her watch, and she sent me to another row of blue chairs outside the pharmacy to wait for my prescriptions.

It took a few calls of “Fenerra” before I realized that I was being summoned. The letter L doesn’t slide off oriental tongues. The cashier wanted to see me first. The bill, printed in English, came to 1,143 baht. I was still struggling with the conversion, so gave it to my daughter, Dimity, to figure out. “It’s $38,” she said. I asked the cashier, another perfect English-speaker, if this included the three prescriptions the doctor had ordered. It did.

Now I don’t know about you, but with my medical insurance plan back home I have all sorts of co-pays. I added up what a trip to my internist and the three prescriptions would have cost, and it was more than this bill. I handed over my baht and had only just sat in the next row of blue chairs before my meds were ready. Total time spent in McCormick Hospital’s outpatient clinic: 25 minutes. It says so right on the bill.

Have you ever been sick on vacation? Did you have a good experience?

Posting a picture of the "pretty nurse in a crisp uniform" would make this story infinitely more interesting. But to answer the OP's question, yes I've been sick on vacation. Would hardly make for a riveting story, however....

the story gives us some info. 'bout Thai transportation system.

excessive use for the air/cons.

for my own case, i went to Mae Hongsorn by bus.

It was fine when everyone boarded the bus cos' of the heat from the sun in the day time made it just 'bout right. once, we had to travel thru the night the temp. outside dropped drastically. The whole bus became like a flying freezer. I got sick too. even worse if you didn't prepare much clothing. fortunately, i took enough cloths to keep my body warm.

and .....

my mistake i wanna go to Pai but got the wrong bus. instead I could have taken a bus to CM and get a transit bus from CM to Pai without a hassle.

cos' the coach staff didn't tell me the truth that the best way to visit Pai is to get a bus to CM. and on the arrival, I asked a bus driver,had a little smile like a cunning fox in this face whether i could book a return ticket to go back to BKK. His reply was I have to wait until 8.00 am they will get me a return ticket. Again didn't tell me the truth. Luckily, the bus company was closed as it was too early in the morning. So i went to Pai without booking a return ticket.

Edited by dunkin2012

This is what I call a "Serendipity Moment". Every day, just before I go to sleep, I think about my serendipty moments here. As soon as I realize that most days don't have serendipity moments, then it's time to return to the home country.

Oh, I brought a really great shawl from the home country. I always have it with me on the train and often at movie theaters. Once, it got caught in the seat at the theater when I stood for the king song. As I fumbled with it, while trying to look respectfull, Hubby said under his breath "oh Lord no, not the shawl".

the story gives us some info. 'bout Thai transportation system.

excessive use for the air/cons.

for my own case, i went to Mae Hongsorn by bus.

It was fine when everyone boarded the bus cos' of the heat from the sun in the day time made it just 'bout right. once, we had to travel thru the night the temp. outside dropped drastically. The whole bus became like a flying freezer. I got sick too. even worse if you didn't prepare much clothing. fortunately, i took enough cloths to keep my body warm.

and .....

my mistake i wanna go to Pai but got the wrong bus. instead I could have taken a bus to CM and get a transit bus from CM to Pai without a hassle.

cos' the coach staff didn't tell me the truth that the best way to visit Pai is to get a bus to CM. and on the arrival, I asked a bus driver,had a little smile like a cunning fox in this face whether i could book a return ticket to go back to BKK. His reply was I have to wait until 8.00 am they will get me a return ticket. Again didn't tell me the truth. Luckily, the bus company was closed as it was too early in the morning. So i went to Pai without booking a return ticket.

Your story makes no sense the sch.of buses to Pai from CM and mae hong song are clearly marked at all bus stations. At mae hong Song there is a sch for BKK clearly marked over head and Chiang mai to BKK you have many options that are obvious.

Hi 'dunkin2012' Yes! I agree with you regarding the tran-siberian conditions on the train from BKK to CM. I have took this trip afew times, (mainly overnight) and found the temperature to vary from 'ice station zebra' to a heat wave in Scotland, (both will induce frost-bite, just one quicker than the other) I was, back in the day an artic warfare survival instructor, but back then I was issued cold weather gear, not sandals, (socks…Never) shorts and 'T'.

When planning my trips up or down the country, fact is the train gets marked down a lot now for this simple fact.

Edited by Tonto21

It s actually a disturbing story and one that should set off warning bells. One doesn't come down with an instantaneous cold due to a cold train car after a 12 hour ride. 3 prescriptions? For what? Does she even know what the medications were? Hopefully these were not for antibiotics as the guidelines are clear: No more antibiotics for viral infections since they are useless.. A standard "cold" in a normal adult should be allowed to run its course with no medications aside from aspirin or acetaminophen to relieve fever, aches and pains, which she did not indicate were present anyway.. A packet of Tylenol is available at any 7-11 for what? 25 baht for a pack of strip of 8?

In the absence of a positive culture and obvious signs of excess phlegm production and thick expectorate there is the strong likelihood the woman didn't even have an infection. The sore throat was probably brought about by the AC induced dryness and high ambient particulate that is so typical of closed spaces in Thailand. For all she knew she could have been exposed to an irritant in the ventilation system such as the pesticides sprayed in the cars to control the cockroaches and bedbugs. The article highlights the obsession of pill and potion dispensing that must stop.

I know Fenella meant well with her upbeat article, but she should stick to her home and gardening column for her local community paper.

Traveling ANYWHERE unprepared is a risk. Getting cold for any extended time does not give you an infection. It does not give you a virus... which is what most "colds" are. The Geriatrickid was correct. I get laughed at all the time by friends who think I carry too much stuff, but I can't count all the times I've bailed other people out who were ill prepared for what I consider "simple" trips.

I travelled air-con on the train ONCE- never again. It was so cold, that I could not sleep. Very simple solution. -Travel NON-AIR, the nights generally are quite cool to cold ,when travelling and for me ,very comfortable.I have travelled on every railway line in Thailand(Done about 30 night sleeper journeys) , always (after my 1st. terrible experience) by 2nd class NON-AIR. I always try for lower berth ,as I don't go to sleep at the same time as the Thais. Much later ,in fact, after I have exhausted the contents of Chang in my 6 tin cooler. I have been known to have an extended session in the restaurant car, after having met some congenial company ,on the train.Yes, indeed .I have had MANY pleasurable nights on Thai trains,travelling 2nd class non-air.

I travelled air-con on the train ONCE- never again. It was so cold, that I could not sleep. Very simple solution. -Travel NON-AIR, the nights generally are quite cool to cold ,when travelling and for me ,very comfortable.I have travelled on every railway line in Thailand(Done about 30 night sleeper journeys) , always (after my 1st. terrible experience) by 2nd class NON-AIR. I always try for lower berth ,as I don't go to sleep at the same time as the Thais. Much later ,in fact, after I have exhausted the contents of Chang in my 6 tin cooler. I have been known to have an extended session in the restaurant car, after having met some congenial company ,on the train.Yes, indeed .I have had MANY pleasurable nights on Thai trains,travelling 2nd class non-air.

An equally simple solution is to bring along an extra sweater or blanket if you get cold easily...

In Thailand, I never travel on a bus or train, or go to a theater without a light jacket. In Thai thinking, if a little is good, then much more is better--and that extends to air-conditioning in public places. Once, on a 12 hour bus trip from Cha-Am to isaan, I noticed that passengers could actually see their breath--something I hadn't seen since my last trip to Ohio in the winter.

Be prepared!

And yes, many Thai health care facilities are top o' the line! Once on vacation, I had my eye severely scratched by beach sand in Koh Lanta, resulting in quite severe eye pain. On my way back to home in Isaan, I stopped by Rutnin Eye Hospital in BKK where they took excellent care of me: inspecting the eye with high-tech equipment, applying anti-biotic creams, eye-patch, prescriptions, giving after-care instructions, etc. It took the better part of a morning.

When they presented the bill for "600.00" I just assumed it was $600 US, and pulled out my credit card. Somehow, I thought they were giving an American "extra service" by doing the currency conversion on the spot and allowing me to pay in dollars. Total shock when the cashier inquired, "Don't have 600 Baht, sir? " smile.gif

In Thailand, I never travel on a bus or train, or go to a theater without a light jacket. In Thai thinking, if a little is good, then much more is better--and that extends to air-conditioning in public places. Once, on a 12 hour bus trip from Cha-Am to isaan, I noticed that passengers could actually see their breath--something I hadn't seen since my last trip to Ohio in the winter.

Be prepared!

And yes, many Thai health care facilities are top o' the line! Once on vacation, I had my eye severely scratched by beach sand in Koh Lanta, resulting in quite severe eye pain. On my way back to home in Isaan, I stopped by Rutnin Eye Hospital in BKK where they took excellent care of me: inspecting the eye with high-tech equipment, applying anti-biotic creams, eye-patch, prescriptions, giving after-care instructions, etc. It took the better part of a morning.

When they presented the bill for "600.00" I just assumed it was $600 US, and pulled out my credit card. Somehow, I thought they were giving an American "extra service" by doing the currency conversion on the spot and allowing me to pay in dollars. Total shock when the cashier inquired, "Don't have 600 Baht, sir? " smile.gif

Great story, Fookhaht. It is just one of the many things I love about Thailand. I get pleasantly surprised so often at the kindness of the average person that after a while I'm actually surprised when I have an occasional bad experience. .