Driving In Uk On Thai Licence (Visit Visa)

Visitors from outside the EU may use a full driving licence issued by their country of residence to drive in the UK for up to 12 months per visit.

An IDP is not required, but you may want to get one as it will provide a translation of your Thai licence and could be useful if you want to hire a car (or if stopped by the police!).

An international licence is not valid in the UK.

See here.

An IDP is not required, but you may want to get one as it will provide a translation of your Thai licence and could be useful if you want to hire a car (or if stopped by the police!).

A modern Thai licence gives all relevant details in English (except your address which is on the back in Thai). The classes of vehicle it covers are given in Thai, English, and as symbols - mine says 'Private car' and depicts a saloon, a pickup and a minibus. I suppose it would be up to the hire company whether they accepted a customer who produced this without an IDP. The police probably won't mind, as illustrated by the hunt in Ireland for a Polish driver called Prawo Jazdy, who committed multiple offences until it was discovered that Prawo Jazdy is Polish for Driving Licence. - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7899171.stm - at the time this story surfaced I was working in an office (in UK)with a number of police officers, and laughingly said "I bet that's happened a good few times over here, too." It went awfully quiet all of a sudden.

Just to add to this. If you have a current UK licence then you CAN NOT use the Thai licence. You must use the UK one.

I didn't know that, but accepting that it's correct, it would probably pay to use the UK one anyway. If you're stopped by the police for an offence and only have a foreign licence they can't give you a fixed penalty, you have to go to court. This incidentally has messed up a few British citizenship applications in recent times, as an unspent court conviction disqualifies the application.

A modern Thai licence gives all relevant details in English (except your address which is on the back in Thai). The classes of vehicle it covers are given in Thai, English, and as symbols

Didn't know that, thanks.

In which case, Fred, save your money and don't bother with the IDP.

For those who don't know, an IDP is basically just a translation of one's actual licence. Some countries insist on both; the UK doesn't.

I agree that it would be better to use a GB (or NI) licence if held. However, I am not sure that it would be illegal to use a foreign licence if one held a GB one. Certainly if the GB licence is a provisional then it is ok to also drive with the foreign licence, although if using the GB provisional licence then the usual provisional licence rules would apply.

When I was a driving instructor I taught many foreign licence holders (residents can only use their foreign licence for up to 12 months, during which time they must pass the GB (or NI) test; if they haven't then they must stop driving, except as a GB or NI provisional licence holder if they have one, until they do). For obvious reasons most of these were Thais, but the next largest group were Americans. On the whole I would say that the Thais were usually the better of the two. Although I did have to remind them that in the UK we can't turn left on red!

..... in the UK we can't turn left on red!

More's the pity. I think it was Woody Allen who said that the mark of a truly civilised country is that you can turn right (in their case) on a red light.

Sorry, I know it's straying a long way from visas, etc, but I'm curious as to what's supposed to happen to UK licence-holders who are no longer living in the UK. It is, I believe, an offence not to notify the DVLA of a change of address, but all that DirectGov website says on the subject of expats is -

"Remember, if you permanently move to another country, you can’t register your new address on your British driving licence. You’ll need to contact the driving licence authority in your country of residence."

Eh? That's so impractical as to have no meaning at all. If you don't have a UK address, but are using a UK licence when you visit the UK, do you get problems if you're stopped by the police? And in your 70th year the DVLA will send a renewal notice to...your last notified address. Anybody had any problems over this? Just use an accommodation address, I suppose.

I don't know, I had to retire from the profession a few years ago for health reasons, so am not fully up to speed these days; but I'll try to find out for sure.

Agree with the left on red point.

Ok, it seems that if you move abroad, then you don't have to notify the DVLA at all. You simply go. When (if) you return to the UK you then notify them of your new UK address.

Whether the country you move to allows you to keep your GB licence is up to them. Some will make you exchange it for a local licence. If this happens then when/if you return to the UK you will need to obtain a duplicate licence from the DVLA.

When/if you return to the UK your GB licence has expired, i.e. you've reached your 70th birthday, then you will need to apply to renew it.

Note that the above is for GB licence holders. The rules in Northern Ireland may be different.

That's how i read it, anyway. If anyone reading this has actually done it, then I, too, would be grateful for their input.

Ok, it seems that if you move abroad, then you don't have to notify the DVLA at all. You simply go. When (if) you return to the UK you then notify them of your new UK address.

Whether the country you move to allows you to keep your GB licence is up to them. Some will make you exchange it for a local licence. If this happens then when/if you return to the UK you will need to obtain a duplicate licence from the DVLA.

When/if you return to the UK your GB licence has expired, i.e. you've reached your 70th birthday, then you will need to apply to renew it.

Note that the above is for GB licence holders. The rules in Northern Ireland may be different.

That's how i read it, anyway. If anyone reading this has actually done it, then I, too, would be grateful for their input.

but just to complicate things, regardless of the expiry date on your licence the photo has to be renewed every 10 years....and not a lot of people know that.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078070?CID=Motoring&PLA=url_mon&CRE=renew_my_photo

but just to complicate things, regardless of the expiry date on your licence the photo has to be renewed every 10 years....and not a lot of people know that.

http://www.direct.go...=renew_my_photo

Unless you still just have one of the old paper ones and not the "Non-ID Card" Nu Labour ones.

Forgot that bit!

To be fair to the DVLA, they do send reminders out; to the address they have on record. So what happens if you have moved abroad and followed the advice on the direct gov website and not notified them?

One thing that did shock me on a visit to the UK was the higher price for people renting from Thailand.

I booked a car online from Avis for about £85 for a long weekend, when I collected the car I showed my UK licence, though it had an address I no longer lived at, and I gave my Thai address which corresponded with the address for my Thai credit card. I couldn't pre-pay with a Thai card, but I was able to use it to reserve the car.

When I returned the car the bill had changed from £85 to over £200, the guy told me it was because I had a Thai address, I cried foul indicating there was nothing to indicate this on their website. To be fair they honoured the £85 by doing a manual over-ride,but only because I still had a copy of the confirmation with me.

Edited by theoldgit

One thing that did shock me on a visit to the UK was the higher price for people renting from Thailand.

I booked a car online from Avis for about £85 for a long weekend, when I collected the car I showed my UK licence, though it had an address I no longer lived at, and I gave my Thai address which corresponded with the address for my Thai credit card. I couldn't pre-pay with a Thai card, but I was able to use it to reserve the car.

When I returned the car the bill had changed from £85 to over £200, the guy told me it was because I had a Thai address, I cried foul indicating there was nothing to indicate this on their website. To be fair they honoured the £85 by doing a manual over-ride,but only because I still had a copy of the confirmation with me.

Thank You Old Git,you just confirm what ive said all along.Renters do Freak at anything Thai.Seems that those In Denial are of " My Wifes Brother said So Brigade" and never actually stood at an Avis Counter.:jap:

All non UK residents pay a premium.

Thank You Old Git,you just confirm what ive said all along.Renters do Freak at anything Thai.Seems that those In Denial are of " My Wifes Brother said So Brigade" and never actually stood at an Avis Counter.:jap:

Most are here on Non Resident, Non Immigrant so whats the prob.This defence of Thai Driving Standards, is pathetic.Who would even lend a Thai Friend their own Car in Europe unless you have driven here with them in bad conditions.They have never seen Ice n Snow, or lane discipline ,etc. My friends Wives in the main have given up trying to pass the U.K. Test,yet they drove here for years with a Ful Licence..:jap:

All non UK residents pay a premium.

With the exception of my daughter, who is now a American Citizen, lives in the US and has a US licence, she got a cheaper rate - and they drive on the wrong side of the road.

I have been renting in the UK with Enterprise for many years now using a UK License and Thai address/credit charge and have always paid the same rate as UK residents. Not sure if it would be the same if I used my Thai license though.

Forgot that bit!

To be fair to the DVLA, they do send reminders out; to the address they have on record. So what happens if you have moved abroad and followed the advice on the direct gov website and not notified them?

You might prefer you had remembered that bit should you ever have to claim on your insurance.

My link

Over the years many of us have learned that when it comes to insurance companies you never give them a chance to wriggle.

Edited by roamer

I have been renting in the UK with Enterprise for many years now using a UK License and Thai address/credit charge and have always paid the same rate as UK residents. Not sure if it would be the same if I used my Thai license though.

Maybe I will try them next time, actually used them a lot when I was working my employers had a contract with them, they were always good.

Edited by theoldgit

my mate from thailand,(expat) driving in uk with a hire car, on a thai licence, has just been advised by avis his hire company that the police want his address as he has been caught on camera speeding twice,be interesting what happens,he is working off shore for the next 3 months.