Setting Up A Charity In Thailand

simon43

I have spare time and money!. (Hard to believe, considering all the other work that I'm doing....)

I've been following the news about English teachers in Thailand, the lack of English language skills etc etc for some time. Some of the government plans in this area are so absurd and will come to nought!!

Rather than try to persuade Mr Taxin to take a different approach, (might take some time), I prefer more direct action!

My own technical background/experience has enabled me to formulate a plan to provide English-speaking lessons & language practice to rural (and non-rural) schools throughout the Asian and African continents. The actual costs that I need to cover for setting up this venture are quite low and within my capabilities. It would be my intention to pilot this idea in Thailand, (since I live here). Thereafter, if successful, I could role it out to other countries. It's a non-profit-making idea that I've come up with to ensure that after I die, I get a fast entry into a perfect afterlife....

But in order to be taken 'seriously' by NGOs, other charities etc etc, I really need to have a suitable 'vehicle', such as a registered charity, within which to provide these services.

Can anyone shed light on how I go about setting up a Thai charity??

... And I mustn't forget to get my WP for this voluntary work!!!!

Thanks for any advice! I've posted this in the General Section to get the most airing.

Practical advice and constructive criticism is most welcome!

I have spare time and money!.  (Hard to believe, considering all the other work that I'm doing....)

I've been following the news about English teachers in Thailand, the lack of English language skills etc etc for some time.  Some of the government plans in this area are so absurd and will come to nought!!

Rather than try to persuade Mr Taxin to take a different approach, (might take some time), I prefer more direct action!

My own technical background/experience has enabled me to formulate a plan to provide English-speaking lessons & language practice to rural (and non-rural) schools throughout the Asian and African continents.  The actual costs that I need to cover for setting up this venture are quite low and within my capabilities.  It would be my intention to pilot this idea in Thailand, (since I live here).  Thereafter, if successful, I could role it out to other countries. It's a non-profit-making idea that I've come up with to ensure that after I die, I get a fast entry into a perfect afterlife....

But in order to be taken 'seriously' by NGOs, other charities etc etc, I really need to have a suitable 'vehicle', such as a registered charity, within which to provide these services.

Thanks for any advice!  I've posted this in the General Section to get the most airing.

Best thing to do is to go to a lawyer, because it is still a company, they will know further steps

I have done it before for a charity my neighbours ran, I was the accountant of the project,

It is not to difficult but you need to see the lawyer to get it done

good luck

The primary reason for establishing a charity is simply to lend an air of respectability to this venture. If I operate it without any such 'vehicle', then perhaps I leave myself open to accusations of lack of accountability etc.

This idea is not limited by national borders. So if there is another country where such a venture can be based without the need for volunteer work permits, then I'll base it in that country. It won't be any lost to Los since the beneficiaries of the project will still include Thailand.

I have spare time and money!.  (Hard to believe, considering all the other work that I'm doing....)

I've been following the news about English teachers in Thailand, the lack of English language skills etc etc for some time.  Some of the government plans in this area are so absurd and will come to nought!!

My own technical background/experience has enabled me to formulate a plan to provide English-speaking lessons & language practice to rural (and non-rural) schools throughout the Asian and African continents.  The actual costs that I need to cover for setting up this venture are quite low and within my capabilities.  It would be my intention to pilot this idea in Thailand, (since I live here).  Thereafter, if successful, I could role it out to other countries. It's a non-profit-making idea that I've come up with to ensure that after I die, I get a fast entry into a perfect afterlife....

Thanks for any advice!  I've posted this in the General Section to get the most airing.

Good for you simon43. There are certainly a lot of places to put your $ and expertise to good work. I've recently started doing a bit of teaching at the Ecotourism Training Center in Khao Lak. Take a look at http://etcth.org Reid, the guy who runs the show, would most likely be able to help you with advice on how to go about setting up a charity here.

ETC could certainly benefit from you direct assistance too.

The primary reason for establishing a charity is simply to lend an air of respectability to this venture.  If I operate it without any such 'vehicle', then perhaps I leave myself open to accusations of lack of accountability etc.

This idea is not limited by national borders.  So if there is another country where such a venture can be based without the need for volunteer work permits, then I'll base it in that country.  It won't be any lost to Los since the beneficiaries of the project will still include Thailand.

I'm sure that there will be many beneficiaries all over the world....do you expect to benefit from this venture.....financially.....if not then why the secrecy?