Bum Gun Installation In The Uk.

Richb2004v2

I'm sure this has been covered many times, but my search has not brought anything up.

We are returnring to the Uk soon. My wife would like to take back a couple of bum guns (not sure of correct name). They are great to use with out 2 year olds. I am fine with this but wonder how well they work there. Is there enough pressure for them to work? I also wonder if the splashes will lead to floor board problems. I guess they are easy enough to install there. I would be interested in experiences using them in the Uk.

Thanks.

You are more likely to have a problem of too much pressure, than too little. This will worsen the next issue ... the things leak all over the place. We have tried different brands but they all leak sooner or later, necessitating putting in a stopcock where they connect to your normal cistern inlet pipe ... and remembering to turn this on and off every time you use it. In a wet-style Thai bathroom this is no big deal ... but in a western bathroom it is a pain having a puddle at your feet all the time. You may also find you have to run around larger plumbing supply shops to find the right fittings and adaptors to make the thing fit on your existing pipework.

i am a plumber and have had 1 for 7 years in the uk and i have fitted an inline on / off valve and a non return valve to stop back siphonage to the hose/gun bought in homepro pattaya and have had no problems but you must fit a inline vale to stop the gun being under pressure

So is it worth taking the parts from here, or can I get everything there?

buy the gun and hose in thailand and the non return valve and inline lever valve over here, just take the gun etc into any plumbers merchants here and explain what you want to do and they will give advice and sell you the parts required , oh and buy a good quality gun and hose in thailand

To be legal you'll need to fit a double-check valve to prevent back flow, get them from B&Q :)

You may want to use a mixer valve to get the water a bit warmer :o

AFAIK, bum guns are completely illegal in the UK (totally against building regs). Worries about faecal matter entering the water supply. Apparently, however many NRVs you fit, the authorities are still worried. This may have changed recently ... I don't know. You may wish to UTFSE. (Or maybe I should have used it, considering how surprised I was when I found out the requirement to have two doors between a kitchen and a bog had been changed ...)

Bum guns are, however, very common in certain blocks of flats in certain parts of London according to a surveyor friend. Fit them yourself ... or ask a plumber if he wants some extra (off the books) work.

• 4 months later...

Reopening this thread as I am now in the Uk having a bathroom renovated. I thought the information I need was in detail on this forum somewhere but I can't find it.

How do I go about having a functioning bum gun installed? My plumber has never fitted one and has no idea how to over come the water temperature problem. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reopening this thread as I am now in the Uk having a bathroom renovated. I thought the information I need was in detail on this forum somewhere but I can't find it.

How do I go about having a functioning bum gun installed? My plumber has never fitted one and has no idea how to over come the water temperature problem. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Why not plumb the bum gum into the hot water supply with an inline temperature control or get a set of these.

post-87530-0-11255300-1320666309_thumb.j