Land Purchases In Thailand Possible For American? Prices?

Hi.

I really like it in Thailand, and would like to buy 3-4 acres and grow a permaculture food forest on it as well as build myself a modest house.

However, I hear that it's hard to buy land as a foreigner.

Why is that?

Are foreigners not allowed to own land? You need to marry a Thai and put it in their name?

Anyway, what is the price range for land of good enough quality to grow fruit (I will build up the soil over time)? I'm not looking for ocean-view properties or anything. For instance, what price might I pay for reasonably priced land within a 45-minute drive of Chiang Mai?

How about land ownership in Malaysia? I hear that country is more friendly to foreigners. True? Prices similar over there?

I'm really just doing research and any purchase is months off.

Any suggestions for resources I should consider?

Thanks for your time.

You have a double problem

First the best you will be able to do is get a 30 year long term lease on "3 or 4 " acres but even if you do that you will not be able to farm it since you will not have a work permit

You could form a company to purchase the land but I doubt that you could form a company for the purpose of "farming" to give you the required work permit

I would suggest that you investigate Malaysia but I don't think you are going to have much luck there either. Most countries in this part of the world have reserved "farming" for the locals and it would be an up hill battle in any situation

Under the Treaty, Thailand restricts American investment only in the following fields of business:[1]

1. Communications

2. Transportation

3. Fiduciary functions

4. Banking involving depository functions

5. Exploitation of land and natural resources

6. Owning land; and

7. Domestic trade in agricultural products.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears I'd need to spend at least $65,000 on on my land purchase only the Amity treaty, according to the website I've seen.

Take a look at the Thai governments Board of Investment website. www.boi.go.th There are incentive programs for farming and part of the deal under BOI is foreign land ownership. If your project is of interest you will find the BOI very helpful in cutting through all the reed tape and approvals.

It appears I'd need to spend at least $65,000 on on my land purchase only the Amity treaty, according to the website I've seen.

Take a look at the Thai governments Board of Investment website. www.boi.go.th There are incentive programs for farming and part of the deal under BOI is foreign land ownership. If your project is of interest you will find the BOI very helpful in cutting through all the reed tape and approvals.

I assume you are referring to the 2 million baht investment capital requirement. To the best of my knowledge that is a total requirement not just for land. I would also suggest that once you start the BOI process, you may find there are concessions that will be made to help you.

• 2 weeks later...

You can attempt to do everything completely legally, but it will be expensive and frustrating. Do as the Thais do; do what you want, and keep it low key. One of the most important factors in doing such things is friendly interactions with your neighbors and pu yai (village headman). Mention what you're doing, share with them, see what they're doing, .....and there's slim chance the gov't will pry in to your affairs.

I have been experimenting with planting trees from seed - trees that can't be found in Thailand. Some will prove to be useful for Thai farmers. The Thai government has some similar programs but they tend to stick with locally familiar fruits (no nut trees) and limit their options. In other words, they can get 50 people with gov't salaries to work on one variety of fruit for 25 years with questionable results, whereas I'm one person with 8 varieties of trees (and no renumeration) and I've already gained some encouraging results in 10 years. Sorry to get off topic.

Just know that if you spend $65,000 (or any amount) on trying to do some farming-related gig in Thailand, you'll be lucky to make even 10% of that back in 10 years. If you want to do it for the personal satisfaction (as I do) great. But as a commercial venture, whether totally gov't sanctioned or under the table, it won't yield much revenue. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but rather; offer some perspective on how such things pan out for a foreigner in Thailand.