Wife Dies Before You

swissie

I know there is usually only a small chance that the Thai-Wife dies before the farang. (Age difference).

But if this unfortunate event should come to pass, under what Visa-Status would the Farang stay in Thailand?

The "O" visa based on marriage would not be in effect anymore (She died, hypothtically).

If (under those curcumstances), the Farang finds himself all of a sudden within the "singele retiement-visa-situation" = bank deposit 800'000 Bht.

I know a good number of Resident-Farangs, that could not fulfill those requirements.

Ideas, remedy ?

Cheers.

Put is simple, Thailand can't be your only option when it comes to retirement.

As far as I learned, and I love to be proved wrong, there are no law that protects foreigners' investments. Everything you do is in your wife's name. Should something happens to her, you will be dealing with her THAI relatives.

The only way I found so far is to offset my thai investments with investments abroad. Basically, should something happen to her (my gf), what we have in Thailand goes to her family, what we have abroad goes to me.

It has two implications: it's been quite some time since I haven't invested any money in Thailand. And my belongings in our thai properties are kept to a minimum so should something happen to my gf, I won't even bother to go to collect them.

The only thing I really care about is my dogs. I've a strong feeling the day the last one dies will be my last day in Thailand

In the meantime I'm now investing heavily back in Europe.

I still love Asia, I've a good friend of mine in Cambodia, I'm now exploring how I can invest there in my own name.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Thailand. I just feel my investments, as a foreigner, are not properly protected. Nowadays I'm strong enough to fight for myself. But one day I won't be. And that day, I don't want to be in Thailand.

• Like 2

As has been discussed here many, many times...there are options to putting investments in your Thai partner's name. If done properly, no dealing with the wife's relatives.

And good luck with Cambodia. From what I have read, there are many problems in that country also.

As has been discussed here many, many times...there are options to putting investments in your Thai partner's name. If done properly, no dealing with the wife's relatives.

And good luck with Cambodia. From what I have read, there are many problems in that country also.

Agreed. Just because the wife's name is on the investment documentation does not preclude there being other contractual arrangements about the disposal of those assets upon her death. That's where a good lawyer is needed. There are many ways that are both simple and straightforward to protect these investments.

And yes the wives do die. It's called accidents such as car crashes and illness such as cancer. Cancer doesn't take a leave of absence because a woman marries an old guy from Durham.

• 1 year later...

I was told by our immigration, office if TW dies ,and you have some childen you can still stay by useing the childs, name land house ect goes in there name, carry on as before probaly. be diffilcult but worth a try .A lot of people will want to go home difflcult Thai family, many other reasons, but if you and TW had a good relationship it should not be to diffilcult to stay.

Got to be better than going back to your home contry, landing at an airport with your life in 2 suitcaces thinking now at.

Marrying on the rebound sounds like a recipe for a disater.

Yours Rgs

KS

If you have Thai kids' that's sufficient basis, 400K in the bank just like being married but I think doesn't need seasoning.

Otherwise retirement, most likely 50 by then, or while you're between wives do the Ed visa.

Really not the big issue is it?

WRT assets a will's easy enough, been spelled out in great detail here before, they do give you time to sell off what you're not allowed to own directly if you don't have a new wife by then.

IF you want to remain in Thailand forever, the best thing to do when married is to get Thai citizenship. This is what I'm doing so as when I'm old, I can be a Tuk Tuk driver, open a business or whatever. I won't get a pension so I would be screwed.

I have been told if the wife makes a will and leaves everything to you and the will is done properly there will be no issues . The land and house they will give you one year to sell . Sad its a pitty we can not own what we have worked so hard for over the years ......

As far as I learned, and I love to be proved wrong, there are no law that protects foreigners' investments. Everything you do is in your wife's name. Should something happens to her, you will be dealing with her THAI relatives.

The only way I found so far is to offset my thai investments with investments abroad. Basically, should something happen to her (my gf), what we have in Thailand goes to her family, what we have abroad goes to me.

It has two implications: it's been quite some time since I haven't invested any money in Thailand. And my belongings in our thai properties are kept to a minimum so should something happen to my gf, I won't even bother to go to collect them.

The only thing I really care about is my dogs. I've a strong feeling the day the last one dies will be my last day in Thailand

I still love Asia, I've a good friend of mine in Cambodia, I'm now exploring how I can invest there in my own name.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against Thailand. I just feel my investments, as a foreigner, are not properly protected. Nowadays I'm strong enough to fight for myself. But one day I won't be. And that day, I don't want to be in Thailand.

A perfect example of someone who has fallen out of love.... period.

• Like 1

I thought the marry your stepdaughter comment quite reasonable.

-

My favorite thing about Thailand, you don't have to be rich and famous like Woody Allen to get away with stuff like that.

His son tweeted last year "Happy father's day -- or as they call it in my family, happy brother-in-law's day."

Or this guy

IF you want to remain in Thailand forever, the best thing to do when married is to get Thai citizenship. This is what I'm doing so as when I'm old, I can be a Tuk Tuk driver, open a business or whatever. I won't get a pension so I would be screwed.

Probably die of old age before getting Thai citizenship!

Good luck with that, let us know how you get on.................

I imagine that if your Wife dies before you, you would wish to remain in the place where you have fond memories, ie; your home in Thailand. I am not sure of the visa implications other will have far more knowledge on that subject.

Many Western man dont just support their wives (if you call it that), but support an extended family too and what is the impact of just packing a suitcase and leaving going to have on them.

The scenario that once your loved one dies, you would simply view yourself as not being part of the family in the above case seem irrelevant, nothing has changed and I suppose why should it. Your Wifes, family is your family. Carry on as before.

I have been told if the wife makes a will and leaves everything to you and the will is done properly there will be no issues . The land and house they will give you one year to sell . Sad its a pitty we can not own what we have worked so hard for over the years ......

You know the rules before you buy.

"If (under those curcumstances), the Farang finds himself all of a sudden within the "singele retiement-visa-situation" = bank deposit 800'000 Bht.

I know a good number of Resident-Farangs, that could not fulfill those requirements."

It would mean the end of Thia Visa!sad.png

I wonder if the unfortunate did happen and the wife went first, if the house was willed to the daughter "on condition that I could live out my days in the house first" thereafter daughter could do what she wants with it" no pressure of having to sell within the year,, I wonder whether that would be an option,,, don't get me wrong the extended family are great but when a death in the family happensand there's financial gain to be had, people change, and I'm not suggesting this only happens in Thailand,

at least something like this (if it could be done) wild give some security to you.

[quote name='BB1955' I have been told if the wife makes a will and leaves everything to you and the will is done properly there will be no issues . The land and house they will give you one year to sell . Sad its a pitty we can not own what we have worked so hard for over the years .....

When the marriage ends (divorce or death), so does the extension of stay based on that marriage and you need to leave the country immediatly. In the case of death, immigration takes a practical stance and allows you time, there are no official rules for that.

So yes, you would need to qualify under another reason to continue to stay in Thaland. if you have Thai children, you can continue to stay under the same rules. If no children, retirement would be an option if over 50.

In Thailand a will is very important. Without a will the court will decide how to divide the assets.

There's more to life than money dude.

When I am unable to look after myself the last place I want to be is the UK in a nice nursing home being nursed by underpaid 16 y/o Polish immigrants. Give me Thailand with my loving family.

• Like 1

There's more to life than money dude.

When I am unable to look after myself the last place I want to be is the UK in a nice nursing home being nursed by underpaid 16 y/o Polish immigrants. Give me Thailand with my loving family.

-

Many here have found it difficult - or been unwilling to do what it takes - to build up genuine family relationships in their life, whether here or back home.

Those that have realized how important that is in life and made the right choices, put in the necessary blood sweat and tears to support that goal, are to be commended.

The OP states that there is a small chance of the wife dying first. I know a few cases. One friend's wife died of AIDs and he forgot to go to immigration. He left the country after 8 years of no visa. Wouldn't recommend that to anyone, unless you have a get-out-of-jail-free card. Another friend's wife died in a road accident - terrible mess as he had just built a big house and lived with a large sponging Thai family. Weird thing was that he couldn't speak a word of Thai and none of the family a word of English. They made his life hell, basically taking over the house and forcing him to leave.

I've just got a mortgage with a bank. Although it is in my name - they suggest I take out life insurance for my wife.

Life insurance is a good option if you're scared of not being able to fulfill the financial requirements for the visa.

For example, if you're 65 and take out insurance for 5 million baht. That should give you 500k baht a year for 10 years when there is a good chance your time will be up.

Life insurance is a good option if you're scared of not being able to fulfill the financial requirements for the visa.

For example, if you're 65 and take out insurance for 5 million baht. That should give you 500k baht a year for 10 years when there is a good chance your time will be up.

-

Do you mean insuring your young teerak's life with yourself as the beneficiary?

-

No, I meant insuring my wife's life with me as the beneficiary. Shh, don't mention my young teerak!

My wife's getting on 36 next birthday.

Edited by Neeranam

-

No, I meant insuring my wife's life with me as the beneficiary. Shh, don't mention my young teerak!

And pry tell me in thailand were can one insure your thai wifes life with term cover for 5 million which insurance company in thailand does it?

-

Well if you're more than a few years older than her it just means you have more than one young teerak. thumbsup.gif

-

And pry tell me in thailand were can one insure your thai wifes life with term cover for 5 million which insurance company in thailand does it?

-

Isn't life insurance available internationally no matter where you live?

Its always good to have a back up plan if something does happen . Me I would maybe have to do visa runs for a month or two until I scurried up the extra cash I would need for a retirement visa . As far as the house is concerned if she dies its paid for , its willed to me I d have a year to sell it . What else can you do its the way it is .