Pm Abhisit Writes In Facebook: Amnesty And The 91 Deaths

webfact

FACEBOOK

Amnesty and the 91 deaths

By The Nation

PM Abhisit Vejjajiva writes his latest open letter in his Facebook on Thursday.

I am not surprised that Mr. Thaksin Shinawatra has said in interviews with the foreign press that he will return to Thailand in December to attend his eldest daughter's wedding. But if he is to return to Thailand as a citizen under the same rule of law as any of his fellow countrymen, he will likely not be able to attend his daughter's wedding, because he is a convicted fugitive who has been sentenced to two years imprisonment by the Supreme Court.

The reason Mr. Thaksin is confident that he will be able to return inDecember is because Mr. Chalerm Yubamrung has clearly stated that the top priority for the Pheu Thai government is to grant amnesty for Mr. Thaksin.

Should Pheu Thai win the election, it should be able to forma government by August. That leaves five months until December, plenty of time to amend the Constitution to clear Mr. Thaksin of any wrongdoing, overturn the prison sentence and pave the way for his return. He may even get theBaht 46 billion back. Pheu Thai claims its reconciliation plan with amnesty for Mr. Thaksin at its core will reach out to all 'colours' and disregard everything that has taken place since the coup in 2006.

However, it does not address any of the problems that led to the coup: the systemic corruption, abuse of power, disregard of the parliamentary system and refusal to submit to checks and balances. And what of the questions posed by the Red Shirt demonstrators who have been asking for justice over the 91 deaths.

I want to tell them that they are asking the wrong person. They should be asking Mrs. Yingluck Shinawatra and the Pheu Thai Party the question:What would their amnesty mean for the 91 deaths? Would those 91 deaths simply be glossed over in return for amnesty for politicians and the return of Baht 46 billion?

Pheu Thai cannot wipe the slate clean without also needing to brush aside the violent protests that disrupted the ASEAN summit in Pattaya. They would need to brush aside the riot that turned Bangkok into a sea of flames. They would need to wipe the slate clean for the armed factions that infiltrated the peaceful, well intentioned protestors.All of this led to the unimaginable lost that has scarred our country and would be glossed over by the amnesty Thaksin personally needs.

What I want the Red Shirts to think about is what the amnesty will mean for the 91 deaths. Does it mean justice will not be served? I think Mr. Thaksin will pay off the families of the victims in lieu of giving them truth and closure. Those lifeless bodies will not get the justice they deserve.

That payoff will not come from his own wealth. It will come from us,the taxpayers. Despite his promise to take good care of the Red Shirt demonstrators, only the leaders have been taken care of. What he will do is use taxpayers' money to pay relief money the families of the victims, and in return he will get his Baht 46 billion.

Is this an acceptable condition of the amnesty? I am certain the amnesty plan will play out in this manner because theRed Shirt leaders deeply involved in the AprilMay 2009 and 2010unrest are now on the Pheu Thai party list. They will have parliamentary immunity and they will not have to go to prison. But the demonstrators?

Many do not even have attorneys to represent them. The Ministry of Justice has had to provide the attorneys to make sure they will be treated equally under the justice system. What happened in AprilMay of 2009 and 2010 was criminal. The intentional destruction of the country at the hands of these men Mr. Thaksin included constitutes terrorism. Without amnesty, they will be held accountable for their actions.

Or could Pheu Thai be planning to grant amnesty only to the demonstrators and hold state officials accountable for the deaths? If so then the 7 October 2008 case currently being considered by the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Person Holding Political Positions will stand. Mr. Somchai Wongsawat is the defendant in this case. So amnesty and justice for the 91 deaths simply cannot go together.The Red Shirt leaders like to say that those 91 deaths will not have been in vain, that whoever is responsible for those deaths will be brought to justice.

But Mr. Somchai is responsible for the events of 7 October 2008. Does anyone believe Mr. Thaksin will risk sending his own brother in law to prison? The Army Commander and I have made clear from the start that we will not grant ourselves amnesty. We performed our duty, which was to bring peace and stability back to Thai society. Our actions were lawful. The demonstrations, on the other hand, went beyond what is permitted by theConstitution. Any Government that does nothing in such a situation is not upholding the rule of law.

As such, we are ready to have our innocence proven and for the truth to emerge a judicial process. Every party must stand equal under thelaw. Every Thai person has been deeply saddened by these events. I have always made my position clear to avoid the use of force as much as possible in performing my duty as Prime Minister.

Mr. Thaksin, on the other hand, will resort to any means necessary to wage his personal vendetta, to win at any cost. But Mr. Thaksin failed to gain power through extra constitutional means. Now he is trying again under the guise of democracy. In doing so, and with Pheu Thai's policy of amnesty, he will destroy the rule of law. I have always said that I dissolved parliament in order to give power back to the people, so they can decide the future of the country. I did not dissolve parliament so politicians can come in to solve their problems. That will only lead to greater division, and potentially a civil war. Therefore, it is up to the Thai people to put an end to this cycle.

Use this election to move Thailand forward. If the Democrat Party is given the chance to govern, we will work towards reconciliation within the rule of law. We will not abuse parliamentary power or hijack the people's power to overrule judicial power. There will be no amnesty. Everyone will be treated equally and fairly under the judicial process. As for who will be held accountable for the 91 deaths, that is for the courts to decide. That is unless the Red Shirts are willing to accept Pheu Thai's amnesty plan: accept the relief money, forgo the judicial process and forget about truth and justice.

If this is unacceptable, then the Red Shirts must ask Mrs. Yingluck and the Pheu Thai Party this: are they to forget about the 91 deaths in return for amnesty and Baht 46 billion for Mr. Thaksin? Abhisit Vejjajiva is the Prime Minister of Thailand and leader of the Democrat Party.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-24

I like this article, and I think he hits on some excellent points. It is so obvious to anyone with any amount of independent thought and/or education how PTP, Ying-Luck, and Thaksin are only abusing democracy to save the family name, and they don't care who dies, who suffers, or who pays the bill. They just think they can do anything and buy anyone in this country. I wish they would lose this mentality, and act responsibly, and stop thinking rules and laws don't apply to them, because they do. If these megalomaniacs did this crap in any modern country, they would all be in jail for the rest of their lives. Luckily they can manipulate the ignorant, and lucky for them there are so many of those people here!!! Thailand will be the laughing stock of the world if PTP wins and he comes back. So much for Thai's wanting people to view their country in a good light.....it takes more than easy girls, good food and nice beaches for people to respect you.

Edited by REM

I'm not sure this is a good strategy that the PAD has chosen because it draws attention to an event that occurred "on his watch"

It would have been better if he would have invited a independent investigation by a impartial authority to put the cause and the blame on the real culprits. That ship has sailed. What is clear is that most of the deaths were on the protesters side and several occurred after the protesters had surrendered.

I think it's disingenuous to stand on the rule of law and the Thai Justice system when it is clear to international observers that the rule of law and respect for the constitution went out the window with the coup. Abhisit was the 5th PM to hold the position, but the second one to be appointed. The 3 who were elected by the people were tossed out using the "rule of law" that seems suspiciously tainted. This same rule of law convicted Thaksin so to suggest that the law is being applied evenly "to all Thai citizens" fails the smell test.

I like this article, and I think he hits on some excellent points. It is so obvious to anyone with any amount of independent thought and/or education how PTP, Ying-Luck, and Thaksin are only abusing democracy to save the family name, and they don't care who dies, who suffers, or who pays the bill. They just think they can do anything and buy anyone in this country. I wish they would lose this mentality, and act responsibly, and stop thinking rules and laws don't apply to them, because they do. If these megalomaniacs did this crap in any modern country, they would all be in jail for the rest of their lives. Luckily they can manipulate the ignorant, and lucky for them there are so many of those people here!!! Thailand will be the laughing stock of the world if PTP wins and he comes back. So much for Thai's wanting people to view their country in a good light.....it takes more than easy girls, good food and nice beaches for people to respect you.

Sadly you are correct. :(

It is amazing how one person can manipulate the law and the people. However, I do believe that in the end, we all get what we deserve in life :hit-the-fan:

I seriously feel your beliefs are in error . There are no Politicians jailed or prosecuted for corruption except in a few middle eastern countries and in China . The worst corruption on this planet occurs in the so called "modern " countries , and is often accompanied by acts that a few years back would have seen them tried for treason .

most of what you are seeing in Thailand has been learnt and is often directed by the same people who have destroyed the values and standards of Western Civilisations .

Edited by sbk
flame removed- post edited for obscenities

I'm not sure this is a good strategy that the PAD has chosen because it draws attention to an event that occurred "on his watch"

Why do you mention the PAD? Are you still thinking it's a fight between "Red shirts" and "Yellow shirts"?

The PAD are no longer an ally of the Democrat party. They urge people to vote "No", which would take votes away from the Democrat party.

They now actually have their own political party (the "For Heaven and Earth" party).

Thailand now a Party Hub :whistling:

Why do you mention the PAD? Are you still thinking it's a fight between "Red shirts" and "Yellow shirts"?

The PAD are no longer an ally of the Democrat party. They urge people to vote "No", which would take votes away from the Democrat party.

They now actually have their own political party (the "For Heaven and Earth" party).

I seriously feel your beliefs are in error . There are no Politicians jailed or prosecuted for corruption except in a few middle eastern countries and in China . The worst corruption on this planet occurs in the so called "modern " countries , and is often accompanied by acts that a few years back would have seen them tried for treason .

most of what you are seeing in Thailand has been learnt and is often directed by the same people who have destroyed the values and standards of Western Civilisations .

Nothing wrong with the western values and standards that are obeyed, judicaried to and punished to in the corner of civilisation that I am blessed in, and I would extend that to the Aussies over the ditch and some of the more civilised European nations.

The level of corruption along with the ridiculous lack of accountability that applies in Thailand is not tolerated here. Nor are dictators.

Edited to add and I think Pinnochio and REM are both spot on.

Edited by sbk

It would have been better if he would have invited a independent investigation by a impartial authority to put the cause and the blame on the real culprits. That ship has sailed. What is clear is that most of the deaths were on the protesters side and several occurred after the protesters had surrendered.

I think it's disingenuous to stand on the rule of law and the Thai Justice system when it is clear to international observers that the rule of law and respect for the constitution went out the window with the coup. Abhisit was the 5th PM to hold the position, but the second one to be appointed. The 3 who were elected by the people were tossed out using the "rule of law" that seems suspiciously tainted. This same rule of law convicted Thaksin so to suggest that the law is being applied evenly "to all Thai citizens" fails the smell test.

I'm sorry but calling the PM the PAD gives us a good idea where you get your information from.

As for the PM tossed out by the courts using the rule of law, that is their job. Samak lied in court, and could have been re-appointed. Being caught offering bribes on video yet does tend to make your determination of guilt rather easy. Should both have been let off as Thaksin was in the assets case? Hasn't it occurred to you that they were all guilty?

I'm sorry but calling the PM the PAD gives us a good idea where you get your information from.

As for the PM tossed out by the courts using the rule of law, that is their job. Samak lied in court, and could have been re-appointed. Being caught offering bribes on video yet does tend to make your determination of guilt rather easy. Should both have been let off as Thaksin was in the assets case? Hasn't it occurred to you that they were all guilty?

As for the 5 PM's:

Thaksin was removed by the coup after he did not get a mandate in the 2005 election, publically resigned to HM the king, went back on his word and came back as a "caretaker" PM, continued stacking the military and civil powers' leaderships with family members, orchestrated phoney bomb attacks on himself in order to have an excuse to seize more power, and generally showed no sign of asking for a mandate, but rather every sign of clinging on as long as he could. Following the coup, he and the rest of the TRT exectutive were banned from politics for 5 years after having been found guilty of cheating in the 2005 polls. The evidence to support this finding was openly released for all to see. He has since been convicted on a corruption charge, had a large portion of his assets confiscated for being misappropriated, and faces further trials should he return. Again, the evidence for all these charges is in the public domain. He broke the law, he must face the consequences.

The next, and only appointed, PM was Surayad. He stepped down following the 2007 elections.

Samak was elected as PM after the PPP gained the most number of seats, but without getting a majority. They formed a coalition with smaller parties, including those who had boycotted the 2005 elections and claimed they would not align with the PPP. Where were all the cries of unfair representation from the red contingent then? He was removed from office for lying to a court about receiving payment for hosting a cooking show. Yes, a trivial, even laughable, offense, but why did he lie about it? His party remained in power, and he could have been re-elected as PM right away, but "whoever" was pulling the strings at the PPP decided he wasn't malleable enough. His time in power was marked by a general lack of anything happening, other than the beginnings of the "bring back Thaksin" campaign, and his being abusive towards female members of the media. He broke the law. He was punished. He could have returned, but you'll have to ask Thaksin why he didn't.

Enter Somchai, Thaksin's brother in law. His reign was marked by even less happening to move the country forward, as all his energy was devoted to trying to whitewash Thaksin and skulking about avoiding the attentions of the PAD. Meanwhile, plenty was happening to drag the country backwards, as his government lost the support of the civil and military authorities and proved highly ineffective at basically everything it tried. The PPP party was dissolved by the constitution court after being found guilty of electoral fraud. Again, the evidence is out there.

The non banned MP's, who were all elected by the people, realigned and elected Abhisit as their PM. By-elections were held to replace the banned constituency members, with government coalition parties taking most of the votes. Aided by Korn, Abhisit ruled over the turn around of the Thai economy, despite the global recession, and managed to reverse the backward slide that took place during the PPP years. As we know, he willingly called elections, which is where we are now.

All those calling for non interference in elected governments really need to look at the evidence presented in their dissolutions. They, and Thaksin, were guilty as charged. Evidence of further wrongdoings by Thaksin is also available for examination. No doubt there is also evidence aplenty showing his, a man banned from political activities, hands all over the strings controlling the PTP. When they too face the prospect of dissolution because of this, their supporters will squeal, but they have dug their own hole and must be prepared to face the consequences. There comes a time when a country must say enough is enough. Yes, governments have been corrupt in the past, but giving the TRT/PPP ones, and their leader, a get out of jail free card based on that will do nothing to change the rotten state of Thai politics. Giving an amnesty to a man who, the evidence would suggest, has single handedly stolen more from the Thai people than anyone else in recent history, would do nothing to close the door on rotten politics. Rather, it would kick the door down and open a flood of excuses and precedents for the continued pillaging of the country's wealth by those in power. And the funny thing is those who support Thaksin and his free return claim to be for the poor and clean politics.

Edited by ballpoint

All those calling for non interference in elected governments really need to look at the evidence presented in their dissolutions. They, and Thaksin, were guilty as charged. Evidence of further wrongdoings by Thaksin is also available for examination. No doubt there is also evidence aplenty showing his, a man banned from political activities, hands all over the strings controlling the PTP. When they too face the prospect of dissolution because of this, their supporters will squeal, but they have dug their own hole and must be prepared to face the consequences. There comes a time when a country must say enough is enough. Yes, governments have been corrupt in the past, but giving the TRT/PPP ones, and their leader, a get out of jail free card based on that will do nothing to change the rotten state of Thai politics. Giving an amnesty to a man who, the evidence would suggest, has single handedly stolen more from the Thai people than anyone else in recent history, would do nothing to close the door on rotten politics. Rather, it would kick the door down and open a flood of excuses and precedents for the continued pillaging of the country's wealth by those in power. And the funny thing is those who support Thaksin and his free return claim to be for the poor and clean politics.

Great post but I'm gonna disagree here. the farangs i know who like Thaksin also admire Al Capone and Tony Montana. The love the idea of "sticking it" to the "establishment", though they have no <expletive removed> idea who that may be. they're losers basically.

Edited by metisdead
Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

Great post but I'm gonna disagree here. the farangs i know who like Thaksin also admire Al Capone and Tony Montana. The love the idea of "sticking it" to the "establishment", though they have no <expletive removed> idea who that may be. they're losers basically.

POO! (Point of order for Ballpoint, Thaksin/TRT clearly won and got a massive mandate in 2005. ----- BUT ---- The sale of Shin to Temasek pushed him into trying to whitewash himself (and TRT) and he dissolved parliament and called for new elections in 2006. The April 2006 elections failed to seat a government due to the 20% rule.

POO! (Point of order for Ballpoint, Thaksin/TRT clearly won and got a massive mandate in 2005. ----- BUT ---- The sale of Shin to Temasek pushed him into trying to whitewash himself (and TRT) and he dissolved parliament and called for new elections in 2006. The April 2006 elections failed to seat a government due to the 20% rule.

My mistake, I was replying off the top of my head and all these elections roll into one. When I first got here Prem was PM, and since then I've seen elections in 1988, 1991, twice in 1992, 1995, 1996, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2007 and now 2011, so forgive me for mixing one with the other.

Yes, I was referring to the 2006 elections in which he cheated but still couldn't get a legal mandate.

Edited by ballpoint

I have to admit though that even as your post lies naked in the wind I haven't the heart to deconstruct it. Suffice it to say that your conclusions

Based on your analysis will not be shared by the majority of Thais.

The old order may be about to change.

I got into trouble on this board without substantiating claims

I made about central world burning down etc. I will post further without comment.

The redshift movement has grown out of the farmers unions, rather past protests of rural folk versus previous thai governments dating back 50-60 years where much was offered but never delivered hence the marches from the north to Bangkok and the blockades to seek reasoning. Thaksin himself used the iso law to use police to assault poor people seeking justice and a fair price for their product.

It may surprise you to hear there are many redshirts who do not like thaksin. I know some. If pheu thai win and it's just more cronryism you will see the poor out again

I have to admit though that even as your post lies naked in the wind I haven't the heart to deconstruct it. Suffice it to say that your conclusions

I made about central world burning down etc. I will post further without comment.

The redshift movement has grown out of the farmers unions, rather past protests of rural folk versus previous thai governments dating back 50-60 years where much was offered but never delivered hence the marches from the north to Bangkok and the blockades to seek reasoning. Thaksin himself used the iso law to use police to assault poor people seeking justice and a fair price for their product.

It may surprise you to hear there are many redshirts who do not like thaksin. I know some. If pheu thai win and it's just more cronryism you will see the poor out again

If you've got a farmer's ear than maybe you might pass along that Rice is not grown only in Thailand. Just like Diesel subsidies which are only created for a short time to garner votes, so are Rice subsidies. No government will subsidize a crop at a loss in perpetuity (except maybe the EU) .

http://www.barchart.com/chart.php?sym=ZRN11&style=technical&p=MC&d=H&sd=&ed=&size=L&log=0&t=BAR&v=1&g=1&evnt=1&late=1&o1=&o2=&o3=&sh=100&indicators=&addindicator=&submitted=1&fpage=&txtDate=&x=60&y=12

Edited by lannarebirth

If you've got a farmer's ear than maybe you might pass along that Rice is not grown only in Thailand. Just like Diesel subsidies which are only created for a short time to garner votes, so are Rice subsidies. No government will subsidize a crop at a loss in perpetuity (except maybe the EU) .

http://www.barchart.com/chart.php?sym=ZRN11&style=technical&p=MC&d=H&sd=&ed=&size=L&log=0&t=BAR&v=1&g=1&evnt=1&late=1&o1=&o2=&o3=&sh=100&indicators=&addindicator=&submitted=1&fpage=&txtDate=&x=60&y=12

He might want to tell them that the PTP scheme will benefit the millers and factors more than the farmers, unlike the Dem scheme which is a guaranteed scheme for the actual farmers.

Little less facebooking and little more running the country wouldn't hurt.

K. Abhisit seems to be able to run the country, post on facebook, prepare for and deliver a debate and major political rally on the same day. K. Yingluck, who no longer has a job to attend to, did not even show up at the debate.

Perhaps her time management skills come into question. :whistling:

What? He's not allowed to campaign? When did that rule come in?

As care-taker PM he still has duties to perform, as do other ministers. But with the government being in care-taker mode, there are not a lot of official duties to perform.

Surely now that he's only pre-election caretaker-PM, he has more time for facebooking, and in fact isn't allowed to make any serious-decisions about running the country ?

Hence he has time to go to debates, unlike the PTP's pin-up puppet-leader, who's busy doing ... erm ... erm ... :rolleyes:

Doing exactly what her handlers tell her too, Ricardo :)

Why did the word "puppet" just pop into my mind? I see it so often about Abhisit (and it appears obviously not true to me) .... but ....

Edited by jdinasia

Should Pheu Thai win the election, it should be able to forma government by August. That leaves five months until December, plenty of time to amend the Constitution to clear Mr. Thaksin of any wrongdoing, overturn the prison sentence and pave the way for his return.

What Mr Abhisit conveniently forget to say is one of the first thing the junta did after the coup was to amend the constitution and then arm-twist the population to accept it, as condition for the return of free election.

I don't remember Mr Abhisit saying anything at that time. Maybe someone has a better memory ?

And the new constitution was clearly aimed at Mr Thaksin.

I think it's a healthy thing that a democratically elected government undo what was done by a junta promoted by a military coup.

"And what of the questions posed by the Red Shirt demonstrators who have been asking for justice over the 91 deaths.

I want to tell them that they are asking the wrong person."

Not me your honour! I was out of town/at a family BBQ/having my hair dyed/at the cinema .........

Should Pheu Thai win the election, it should be able to forma government by August. That leaves five months until December, plenty of time to amend the Constitution to clear Mr. Thaksin of any wrongdoing, overturn the prison sentence and pave the way for his return.

What Mr Abhisit conveniently forget to say is one of the first thing the junta did after the coup was to amend the constitution and then arm-twist the population to accept it, as condition for the return of free election.

I don't remember Mr Abhisit saying anything at that time. Maybe someone has a better memory ?

And the new constitution was clearly aimed at Mr Thaksin.

I think it's a healthy thing that a democratically elected government undo what was done by a junta promoted by a military coup.

I think you are right !

And you obviously have much to learn regarding the point of time management as well as the meaning of the word used, "priorities."

Abhisit's time spent with the endeavors doesn't interfere with his ability to do his job and participate in debates

We know, "good only at giving big words" ...

biggrin.gif

And you obviously have much to learn regarding the point of time management as well as the meaning of the word used, "priorities."

Abhisit's time spent with the endeavors doesn't interfere with his ability to do his job and participate in debates

We know, "good only at giving big words" ...

And we know about the opposition, "good at only trying to look good."

Edited by Buchholz

Where are thePAD involved here? Couldnt even find a refrence to them in he article!!